Leveling.

Leveling.

in Engineer

Posted by: Simon Sickboy.6250

Simon Sickboy.6250

So I originally got GW at release, played engi to level 40 and then returned to wow (Dont hate, the chance at panda slaying was too good to resist), but now I’m back with a vengeance.
I started to level a warrior, currently at 40 the same, but its boring as kitten. Run in, apply vun, spam AoE, win. Takes little to no skill. So i am returning to my engineer.
There has, of course, been lots of changes made to the profession since i last played and i wondered if there wia a “cookie cutter” leveling spec for engineer?
I know from past personal experience that part of the beauty of engineer is trying everything out and finding what suits you best, but ive already done that (all be it a long time ago), and i know what i want to play at end game. What I want is a build that will allow me to get max level quickest, so i can finally start enjoying end game content.
Any tips?

Leveling.

in Engineer

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

Welcome back! An Engineer is definately a lot more fun in my opinion. Whether or not it’s the fastest, I used Turrets while leveling. They act like a tank and when fighting multiple mobs it does make your life a little easier. Turrets should still be buffed a little than they are now and now and again the AI is twitchy, but I did enjoy it.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Leveling.

in Engineer

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

Engineers are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun.

Granted we’re not the star of the show, but we’re not far off from that in sPvP and WvW.

Far Shiverpeaks

Leveling.

in Engineer

Posted by: Varqov.6984

Varqov.6984

My first character to level was a warrior. Since I got interested in engineer I have not used him since. He is so boring, plant banner hit 1-5 to bash, pick up banner, run to next area.

There is so much more versatility and options with an engineer. Choose a few kits and use those for a while, then respec and use different kits.

I leveled with Grenades/elixirs at first, then FT/EG and now am using grenades and tool kit with remote mines. I get bored, I switch kits/utility skills. If this new patch is right I may have to switch to rocket shoes and try them again. So many options to play with.

Leveling.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

For leveling I’d recommend a Flamethrower/Elixer Gun build. A bit of Toughness and Might from Juggernaut, 2 healing fields from Elixer Gun’s Super Elixer and Healing Turret along with AoE attacks from FT. You just wade into mobs and roast them.

I used the build to do map completion, and once you get the hang of using all the tricks at your disposal (knockback, blind, cripple, leap) and you have Supply Crate as backup…you just about never die.

And in zerg events it’s excellent for tagging mobs too

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Leveling.

in Engineer

Posted by: Simon Sickboy.6250

Simon Sickboy.6250

Thanks for the input.
When I originally levelled to 40 I used FT with rifle and really enjoyed it. Perhaps ill continue along that line.
I have however NEVER used the Elixer Gun, any tips for using that effectively?
I also read somewhere that the bomb kit is nice for levelling, but the idea of it seems a bit risky. I don’t feel very tanky and I’m cautious the bomb kit will too often leave me swarmed by mobs, open to take a pounding. Is it good enough damage to be worth the trade off?

Leveling.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kyotee.7851

Kyotee.7851

I’ve leveled 4 engineers to mid level (don’t ask, couldn’t decide on race grins) and it is by far my favorite class. Finally settled on Iron Legion Charr by the way. Original? No, but I just love the voice overs, animations and lore of the combo.

As for leveling, I start out with rifle the first few levels because of much faster kills. I grab Med kit asap for the swiftness/fury and decent heal/condition remover. I pick up grenades second because they make short work of big pulls even at that low of a level. I tend to just stack power/vit/toughness as I can at low level and make a bee line to flame thrower kit.

About the time I nab Flame thrower kit I have swapped to pistol/Pistol for the simple fact I find their play style way more engaging than Rifle. I’ve picked up bomb kit and Healing turret by now as well. I realize that pistol / pistol is condition weapon set, and I’m running power gear, but my main damage is actually from Flame thrower kit/ bombs or grenades – and I swap to pistols for the utilities as needed. Blind/Confusion/Poison/Root/Snare/Burning and pretty short cool downs on the Pistol/Pistol Combo fit really well with Flame thrower.

I run Bomb kit mostly while running around, and swap to grenades as I see fit. I try to get might on myself whenever I can with Flame thrower 4/Big ole bomb combo – and Fire bomb/big ole bomb combo. Fast swapping between Pistol/Pistol, Flame thrower, and Bomb/grenade kits for combos is just so addicting. I just can’t get into another class that feels the same.

I use med kit for running around most of the time, and only swap to Healing turret for tough fights. I also swap out my offhand pistol for a shield on certain fights.

I pick up tool kit as soon as I can along the way and work that into my combos. So far I have not gotten into Elixirs much, but I’m sure I will. The amazing the about this class is the possibilities we have, the flow of combat, the utilities, and the crowd control. I love this class so much.

Yeah I might have to work a lot harder every fight compared to my warrior or guardian, but it is way more fun and waaay more rewarding to do so. I just can’t wait to get higher level and fully get a grasp of this amazing class.

My only downfall so far at the lower to mid levels have been stuns, they can get me. I’m sure that is my fault though and I’ll figure it out.

Enjoy your engineer!

P.S. Underwater Combat at first was a pain, but Grenades and mines are very powerful kits down there! I don’t mind getting wet now…even as a Charr! Haha.

Leveling.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

On a FT Power build Elixer Gun is mostly an emergency weapon, you’ll be using it for tough fights

Toolbet skill is a minor AoE regen.
Skill #1 is mostly useless to Power builds as it does low damage, bleeds and inflicts weakness only for 1sec.
Skill #2 inflicts cripple and can be used in conjunction with the rifle to kite a target.
Skill #3 is pretty handy, AoE spray (if you play FT then the cone is basically exactly the same) and inflicts Weakness and Vulnerability, but also removes conditions from allies, so it can be used offensively to increase damage, or defensively to help allies.
Skill #4 is one of your get-away cards. Use the backward leap along with a cripple, knock-back or immob to quickly open up some distance between you and whatever you’re trying to get away from. Also does pretty decent damage.
Skill #5 cleanses a condition on impact as well as minor healing. It’s also a light field, so if combo’d with a blast finisher (EG #4) or a leap (rifle #5) it gives you a few seconds of retaliation

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU