Leveling Engineer need help

in Engineer

Posted by: Ivellos.5981

Ivellos.5981

I’m actually level 39 , now that the grenade kit has been nerfed , i don’t know what skills to use.

The dps with the rifle is awful , the bomb kit is boring .

Anyone has a build for a level 39 engy who still love the class and actually want to get to 80 .

I don’t want to be a guardian and zerg every mobs but i don’t want neither to kill mob in 20 hits.<

Please help !

Thanks and Merry Chrismast

in Engineer

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

Ask one of guys posting this:

Is engineer damage at an acceptable level? Yes it is

all around the forums.

EU Aurora Glade

in Engineer

Posted by: Bargaw.4832

Bargaw.4832

Engineer’s dmg is joke. Support capabilities are very limited. CC is useless. If you are just lvl 39 I suggest to switch to another profession. There’s even big thread warning to not roll engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Level 39? If you don’t like bomb kit (probably our best kit), I’d say go rifle and toolkit, with maybe a buff and escape as your other utilities. Sure, you won’t 2-button through mobs like a warrior, but you’ll kill stuff pretty fast. Throw wrench, prybar, blunderbuss, and jump shot are all decently high damage skills, and can be chained together very quickly.

Or, pick up static discharge (only 10 in tools) and do the same thing except with rifle turret and another short-cooldown toolbelt skill.

Sure, engineer is a bit behind other professions right now but lots of people have found ways to get creative and melt mobs in PvE. Just remember that grenade kit is our absolute worst choice until you get grenadier—then it’s pretty decent for PvE and WvW.

in Engineer

Posted by: WithoutAssumption.7936

WithoutAssumption.7936

I second using static discharge with rifle. I think it is a lot less fun (much simpler) than my old kit build, but it’s pretty strong in solo pve. Once you hit 40 you won’t even have to give up speedy kits.

in Engineer

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

Yes, I’d either go with power & precision gear and static discharge + rifle. Toolkit, rifle turret, pbr & utility goggles work nicely with this build.

Or with condition damage & power gear with pistols + bomb kit.
You just HAVE to have used elixir U + bomb kit #1 spam at least once while leveling, it’s quite fun.

Just remember to pick the right gear with the right build and you won’t have any trouble.

And make sure not to stay in a kit for more than necassary! They are an ADDITION to your weapons. I’m afraid you may have been mislead by the boring #1 spamming grenadier engineers. This is NOT how you play the profession.

Oh, and ignore guys like Bargaw, but that’s kind of an obvious thing isn’t it.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

(edited by Clip.6845)

in Engineer

Posted by: KICKER.3874

KICKER.3874

Engineer’s dmg is joke. Support capabilities are very limited. CC is useless. If you are just lvl 39 I suggest to switch to another profession. There’s even big thread warning to not roll engineer.

You and all the people in that thread are just too stupid to play engineer.

To the OP:
Engineer is indeed harder than other classes, but it`s just as good. One thing you should remember, if you tried something at a lower level and decided it`s bad, try it again at higher levels, with traits opening up things might change drastically.

When I started engi I tried flamethrower and it sucked at low levels, but when I tried again later it became good. Once you hit 80 there are many hugely different good builds you can use, you`re bound to like one of them.
You can be:
-offensive bomber/grenadier
-defensive/support bomber/buffer
-offensive chain lightning dps
-defensive/offensive turreter
-alchemy dps`er with amazing survivability
-full support/healer/cc`er/debuffer
and many more..

If you like the engineer theme stick with it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Absolutionis.9427

Absolutionis.9427

There’s something that has been slowly being suggested to us this whole time. It’s kind of a secret. You have to decide whether to make your character more suited for WvW or PvE, but the process is mostly the same.

When playing your Engineer, press F12; you’ll see a menu pop up. Choose the middle button.
When you’re on this page, you may see some empty slots that you haven’t filled up yet. Click one of them.
The details don’t matter, but if you want to be good at PvE, choose the “mesmer” or “guardian” or “warrior” option.
Play as normal. Just note that your autoattack and other skills are much stronger now. It also removes the bugs from the majority of your traits.

This is NOT an exploit and I’m pretty sure it’s completely legit. Plenty of Engineers I know have done this, and they’re still having fun.

It’s arguably one of the strongest builds available to Engineer at the moment.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lucky Charmz.5089

Lucky Charmz.5089

I’m actually level 39 , now that the grenade kit has been nerfed , i don’t know what skills to use.

The dps with the rifle is awful , the bomb kit is boring .

Anyone has a build for a level 39 engy who still love the class and actually want to get to 80 .

I don’t want to be a guardian and zerg every mobs but i don’t want neither to kill mob in 20 hits.<

Please help !

Thanks and Merry Chrismast

I’ve found that you always need at least one offensive kit in your arsenal. The rifle gives great DPS output in pve, but it’s very bursty (3 and 5 do your main damage and they have more than short cds). So I build power/toughness (I’m typically in melee range) and I switch between my tool kit and rifle for damage. While you’re smackin away with a wrench, your bursty rifle skills are coming back and vise versa.

Before I had the tool kit, I switched between the rifle and grenades (sometimes went bomb if I felt like it). But that’s how you do good DPS in PvE in my opinion…you switch, unload, switch back, unload, etc.

I also went double pistols for some time…and with things like poison dart volley (short CD) you don’t really need to switch back and forth – ESPECIALLY if you have the trait that reduces CD time by 20%.

And that + speedy kits/permaswiftness, I rather like our leveling.

Of course we can’t walk up and kill 1000+ bad guys with a single swing of a sword like a Warrior, but we play for the style, not the numbers.

in Engineer

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

but we play for the style, not the numbers.

Well yeah. It’s not like we have a choice.

But you make it sound like a good thing and something not in need of addressing.

Even if you are playing just for the style doesn’t mean you can be bad for your party and slow them down with bad build.

EU Aurora Glade

in Engineer

Posted by: Brinson.7289

Brinson.7289

There’s something that has been slowly being suggested to us this whole time. It’s kind of a secret. You have to decide whether to make your character more suited for WvW or PvE, but the process is mostly the same.

When playing your Engineer, press F12; you’ll see a menu pop up. Choose the middle button.
When you’re on this page, you may see some empty slots that you haven’t filled up yet. Click one of them.
The details don’t matter, but if you want to be good at PvE, choose the “mesmer” or “guardian” or “warrior” option.
Play as normal. Just note that your autoattack and other skills are much stronger now. It also removes the bugs from the majority of your traits.

This is NOT an exploit and I’m pretty sure it’s completely legit. Plenty of Engineers I know have done this, and they’re still having fun.

It’s arguably one of the strongest builds available to Engineer at the moment.

I have to admit that this build works wonders. I’ve noticed an immediate drastic increase of DPS and survivability. +1

\-\ Poquito (Engineer) /-/ Tarnished Coast
Not Sure If Serious [BZNZ] ||| Cynical [CYN]

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

Rifle is low damage? what this is.. I don’t even know…

but, I do need to address a few things.
1. Certain engi abilities seem to be balanced around having specific traits.
Pistols, grenades and flamethrower really stand out for this.
If you are not level 60, and thus can not have coated bullets, grenadier, or juggernaut.
Do not even consider them really.

(that said, I did level with pistols and grenades. lol. Pistols have been nerfed since, and grenades are good if only for grenade barrage in pve. every 30s is at worst every other mob pull. Which is a huge aoe nuke during leveling)
Otherwise grenades without steel packed and grenadier are very weak. but if you are using them for barrage alone, still good.

2. Kits scale with level innately. Anyone that has leveled in GW2 should have noticed. you level faster then you acquire gear. you will almost always be level 39 with a level 32 weapon, or the like. And you have quality on top of that. Kits are set to Rare level I think. So, while at level 80, they are still RARE and you can have exotic weapons, leveling, kits are stronger then weapons, because they are rare vs mastercraft/blue weapons that are underleveled.
3. Conditions also scale with level. (while direct does a bit as well, when you say power scales with level) cond damage scales more directly, and is not weapon dependent, such as point #2. so, your conditions will be dealing level 39 cond damage, even when still using a level 32 weapon.

Static discharge is easily the strongest leveling trait you can grab.

Bombs, TK are good leveling.

The rifle/tk build is good all game. its power is early. doesn’t depend on any core late game traits. only t1 discharge. rifle gets 10% later.. but 10% is not remotely as huge as a 50% grenadier, or 100% coated bullets. Sitting duck is early as well.
Good CC in rifle. let you take on vets.

in Engineer

Posted by: Maullus.1273

Maullus.1273

Static discharge is easily the strongest leveling trait you can grab.

The rifle/tk build is good all game. its power is early. doesn’t depend on any core late game traits. only t1 discharge. rifle gets 10% later.. but 10% is not remotely as huge as a 50% grenadier, or 100% coated bullets. Sitting duck is early as well.
Good CC in rifle. let you take on vets.

Truth. Pure truth.

Also, a perk about grabbing Static Discharge is that it lets you swap in Speedy Kits when you have a bit of traveling to do. That may seem like a trivial thing to praise, but that extra speed really cuts down on travel time.

Mad Maullix
Tarnished Coast
Panic Time!

in Engineer

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

flamethrower.

nuff said. While leveling it’s one of the most powerful tools we have (if you are leveling PVE that is). Damage is good, control is good, and who doesn’t like lighting stuff on fire?

in Engineer

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

I used pistol & shield whilst levelling and did just fine. in retrospect I’d suggest getting Static Discharge trait as soon as you can and loading up Rifle Turret and Personal Battering Ram asap, also heal with elixir rather than turret.

Don’t get too attached to Static Discharge though, chances are it will be nerfed in the interests of “balance” in the not too distant future.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

at level 31, using a rifle and bomb kit I have alot of trouble killing lv 30 mobs. I must shoot 15-20 times to kill one.
what am I doing wrong?…

in Engineer

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

at level 31, using a rifle and bomb kit I have alot of trouble killing lv 30 mobs. I must shoot 15-20 times to kill one.
what am I doing wrong?…

Firstly, check that your gear is up to date, it’s very easy to let it fall behind. You need to update your armour and weapons every 5 levels really. Secondly, check that your utility skills are supporting your play style. Are there any skills that you don’t really use? Replace them. Thirdly, turrets aren’t too bad to use while levelling; if you have “free” utility slots, put a turret in it. Finally, make sure that you use your toolbelt skills; even without the Static Discharge trait they are useful, with it you will notice your damage significantly increasing. It’s worth equipping all your utility skills at some point just to see what toolbelt skills they offer.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

in Engineer

rogerwilko.6895

updated weapon and armor and I put some gems in the armor slots, it`s going smoother now.

as far as weapons go, would a condition focused spec + pistol / 2xpistol work for leveling? I saw that alot of people reccomand using the rifle.

in Engineer

Posted by: Monsterboy.2490

Monsterboy.2490

I’ll share you my build that isn’t nearly as developed as some of these others.
since your 39, ill just recomending putting traits into firearms and alchemy to get that extra kit damage and cooldown shortening.

What I do is have every utility slot made up of kits, and using a rifle along with it. I use grenades, flamethrower, and elixir gun, therefor, i actually have 20 basic abilities I have in my arsenal.
I always open with flamethrower (stacks of juggernaut helps a ton, if you get to that level), starting with napalm bomb and then you have some options, and you can switch to any of these, or from one to another.
-Blunderbuss, magnum shot (or airblast), then net him, he has 3 stacks of bleeding and he’s out of your hair for a bit of breathing room.
-fumigate, net him, then acid bomb away, stick in a poison grenade if your quick, now he’s poisoned for, likely, the rest of the battle.
-use firewall, then jumpshot towards him WHILE standing on the firewall, this lets you combo and you have a nice fire shield to help pour on some damage.
-Freeze em, then glob him with the elixir gun cripple skill, he’s now slower than you walking backwards.
-GRENADE BARRAGE! (just throw this inbetween techniques)
-fire ammo seems to be broken, but it does work if you use the primary flamethrower attack, use that if he ever is close.
-feel free to use a shrapnel grenade from time to time, bleeding helps.
You’re damage mostly comes through conditions, primarily bleed and poison, fire if you’re good enough to get the enemy on the firewall, or when flame ammo decides it wants to work.
You also rarely get hit, with the keep-away abilities of magnum shot, air blast, net shot, and acid bomb.
A big disadvantage is that your fingers are going to be flying, not only do you have to press to do an ability, but also to switch kits.
Thankfully, kits have barely any cooldown, so you can switch at your leisure.
Oh, and I recomend elixir H, since healing turret just gets destroyed and medkit is… well… slow.

in Engineer

rogerwilko.6895

too many buttons…. for such a mediocre goal….
I aim to kill undeads in a decent pace… I will respec / re-gear for condition dmg once I hit 55. I am now 53 and using a rifle and power / toughness gear it just takes too long to kill undeads. I kite, I snare, etc.
It just feels clumsy.
I don`t know if this is the way AN wanted to make it (the eng prof) or if I am a bad player / wrong spec / gear, but it just feels that the effort put in playing this does is too big for the reward.

in Engineer

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

As some have said here and as I have said in many other engineer threads. Go with Static Discharge spec, (10/30/0/0/30 is my spec), use medkit, toolkit, goggles, rifle turret and supply crate as elite, unless you have a better one from racials.

Along with this, obtain berserker or valkyrie gear, might be hard to get at your level, but keep it in mind for lvl 80 atleast. As you level grab power+prec and power+vit items, whatever rocks your boat. I prefer a bit of health points, staying around 40-45% crit chance is enough.

The spec isnt about survivability, if you do need that “oh kitten” button, toolkit skill #4 is there, an amazing block on low CD. The spec is about killing stuff fast, while surviving though dodging and controling your player through immobilize (rifle#2), KB/KD (rifle#4) and snares (traited toolkit toolbelt skill).

During a 10 second period your enemy is allowed to move at normal speed for roughly 2 seconds. Unless they blow stability (some bosses have it, most mobs dont, some players have it), at which point you dodge around, jumpshot away from them and all until their stability ends.

The only class annoying to battle with this spec are BS thieves, since they open up on you with such high damage right ontop of you.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.