Lightning Field=Super Speed? New Group Role?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

From the interview in http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/10104/Guild-Wars-2-Its-Hammer-Time-The-Scrapper-Engineers-Elite-Specialization.html

ICH: I hadn’t considered it in terms of other kits, but yes, the hammer and Scrapper specialization do cover the electric theme. Electricity also exists in the game through Lightning Combo fields, which can cause vulnerability, dazing or grant super speed. These were all components that played into the skills and traits for the profession.

This either almost confirms my hopes that Engineer will be able to convert Swiftness into Super Speed, or it was simply an error. But it’s mentioned alongside Swiftness in a later paragraph so we’ll just have to see.

Either way, seems Scrapper will be all about Super Speed access, which is a very interesting group support mechanic that is easily one of the most noticeable effects in the game while in mobile combat. I look forward to seeing this work in Raids in order to help save people from getting caught in AoE.

I’m satisfied by how our Elite Spec is described; Tank-like, tons of CC and group Super Speed. This is the type of hands-on control and support that fits GW2’s original concept for PvE combat perfectly imo, and I’m excited to see how it pans out in the new content.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

in Engineer

Posted by: Mord.9237

Mord.9237

I like the mention of Rocket Boots, each chain of it being a leap finisher, and making it nearly impossible for us to lose our target, unless we’really CC’d before they run, add that to super speed? Mobility, tankiness, and CC, hello GvG and WvW raids!

“Do or do not, there is no try.”
Engi Build Compilation

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

one problem: super speed has a stack cap of 1.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Rhomulos.2089

I like the mention of Rocket Boots, each chain of it being a leap finisher, and making it nearly impossible for us to lose our target, unless we’really CC’d before they run, add that to super speed? Mobility, tankiness, and CC, hello GvG and WvW raids!

Definitely, that ranged AoE stun field on Hammer alone is amazing. Drop it on someone, stunning them, and then leap through it to daze them once more when they leave it! I see a lot of potential for Scrapper in WvW, it’ll eat through stability very quickly I hope.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer

in Engineer

Rhomulos.2089

This won’t make a huge difference, it’s not too difficult to just keep track of durations and reapply it. There is also a small chance it will become a boon: "Boons affect your gyros, so you can apply swiftness or super speed "

We’ll adapt if it isn’t, just another skill cap thing that us Engineers are used to by now.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer

in Engineer

Mord.9237

Doesn’t change the fact that it could be 10-15s of super speed rather than the measly 2-5 secs from other class’ traits/skills and/or trapper runes.

10 seconds of super speed, need the raid to retreat? Cya! Want a fast engage before another zerg can react, veil into super speed, surprise!! It may not stack in duration or effectiveness, but the base duration alone could be made extremely useful and powerful.

Engi Build Compilation

in Engineer

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

but lightning combos swiftness not super speed no? will they change that?

in Engineer

Mord.9237

but lightning combos swiftness not super speed no? will they change that?

Hard to catch but this was said:
ICH: The Scrapper is skilled at locking down enemies and when traited for it, granting super speed to allies. During raids in particular this helps greatly with shattering enemy break bars and ensuring that your team can get where it needs to be.

So it’s assumed that there will be a trait that changes the functionality of a lightning field or just an ability in general to grant allies super speed, maybe one of the gyros throws down a newww field, who knows. I’m very excited for the full reveal on Friday!

Engi Build Compilation

in Engineer

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

ooh ok… honestly i’d prefer protection or something more defensive…superspeed could interesting depending on the application…but usually its just incredibly situational…
besides that lightning fields arent THAT amazing…especially if you dont have a whirl finisher… and im also really unsure in what way the drones fit into this lightning theme – because it doesnt really seem coherent as a theme so far…but well see

in Engineer

Rhomulos.2089

ooh ok… honestly i’d prefer protection or something more defensive…superspeed could interesting depending on the application…but usually its just incredibly situational…
besides that lightning fields arent THAT amazing…especially if you dont have a whirl finisher… and im also really unsure in what way the drones fit into this lightning theme – because it doesnt really seem coherent as a theme so far…but well see

Super speed is niche in it’s defensive use but is overall a huge advantage in a lot of scenarios, especially in PvP. Protection has never really been mainly an Engineer thing, only a color in it’s rainbow of different damage mitigation options.

It can be used both offensively and defensively, and in general is just useful all together. It’s fitting of Engineer’s theme as well as filling it’s own niche just like Chrono taking up lots of Quickness up-time.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: bluesnacks.2301

bluesnacks.2301

Really hope this helps in WvW

I love my engineer but sick of being told my class sucks without a chance.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.

in Engineer

Mord.9237

Super speed is niche in it’s defensive use but is overall a huge advantage in a lot of scenarios, especially in PvP. Protection has never really been mainly an Engineer thing, only a color in it’s rainbow of different damage mitigation options.

It can be used both offensively and defensively, and in general is just useful all together. It’s fitting of Engineer’s theme as well as filling it’s own niche just like Chrono taking up lots of Quickness up-time.

^This

Super Speed application could be the answer to every PvP/WvW Engi’s hopes and dreams to feel…well…needed. Engis have so many tools available to them, but when those tools are asked for, they’re passed on from the Engi, because the GWEN class’s tools are shinier, and they don’t need multiple. But having something that no one else can reliably apply, that is useful for a raid/team, the entire “meta”(for lack of a better word) can change.

Engi Build Compilation

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

Why do I get the feeling someone working on this specialization watched too much mad max?

in Engineer

Rhomulos.2089

Why do I get the feeling someone working on this specialization watched too much mad max?

I’m on board for a Mad Max themed elite spec, was also always a fan of the Fallout theme too.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

I’m on board for a Mad Max themed elite spec, was also always a fan of the Fallout theme too.

I mean I really like the theme I have no problem with it at all. I also don’t care much about the name we coulda been named something like Gizmo or Junker or something doesnt matter as long as the traits and weapon/utilities work I got a good feeling it will be fun. Only thing I am worried about is the life of the drones and how long we can keep one out.

in Engineer

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

mesmers with glamour skills and the temporal enchanter trait can grant superspeed too.

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

mesmers with glamour skills and the temporal enchanter trait can grant superspeed too.

Yeap.. but they just cant blast a lighting field.. ANY lightning field to do that. Imagine a rev spamming his stone brick road and a… (ugh hate the name) scrapper doing blasts on it. Perma (or near perma) super speed

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

Brace for ICD. Just saying.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

dont jynx it..

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Super speed could be a good, unique raid utility to bring…but considering that you generally won’t grant this instantly due to cast times of combo finishers and such, I’m not sure if it will be that great for helping members avoid red circles.

in Engineer

Nilix.2170

dont jynx it..

I’m sorry but I really can’t see this being something allowed to happen without an ICD.
It could be a decent duration for the Super Speed but I don’t think they’ll let this be stackable.

Especially seeing how we have a Lightning Field + TRIPLE LEAP finisher on a single weapon.

Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

dont jynx it..

I’m sorry but I really can’t see this being something allowed to happen without an ICD.
It could be a decent duration for the Super Speed but I don’t think they’ll let this be stackable.

Especially seeing how we have a Lightning Field + TRIPLE LEAP finisher on a single weapon.

…well maybe its just my desire to be wanted in groups and appreciated for once to made me go blind to that.. but yea you might be right. Im just personally sick of “but the ele can stack might better” and “this class can do that better” and the “kick the engi i got another ele” i had so long.

in Engineer

Nilix.2170

dont jynx it..

…well maybe its just my desire to be wanted in groups and appreciated for once to made me go blind to that.. but yea you might be right. Im just personally sick of “but the ele can stack might better” and “this class can do that better” and the “kick the engi i got another ele” i had so long.

I don’t expect an insane ICD, I just don’t expect to be able to stack it incredibly. Seeing how we’re the class with all the blast finishers in the world.

Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

dont jynx it..

I don’t expect an insane ICD, I just don’t expect to be able to stack it incredibly. Seeing how we’re the class with all the blast finishers in the world.

well as long as i can stack it better and more frequent then the darn guards with their darn elite shout im already happy…

in Engineer

Rhomulos.2089

ICD shouldn’t impact it much at all, 5s on a 10s ICD wouldn’t be terrible for example. It’s not like we’ll actually need permanent Super Speed up-time after all. As it is now, it can’t be stacked anyway, so overlapping the buff would be counter productive.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

dont jynx it..

Where is this happening? WvW?

I have had nothing but great experiences as an Engie in sPvP and PvE.

in Engineer

Rhomulos.2089

dont jynx it..

Where is this happening? WvW?

I have had nothing but great experiences as an Engie in sPvP and PvE.

I second this, been nothing short of amazing. I’ve made a lot of my current friends because they really liked how I played Engineer back when it was less common.

WvW zerg business is usually when we’re not desired. We’re easily countered by zerg tactics and need to dedicate a lot in order to do basic ‘zerg tactics’. We’re better as roamers there, we’re still desirable in that light if you’re actually good at your build.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

dont jynx it..

Out of combat super speed is no faster than swiftness. In combat it is as fast as swiftness out of combat. I don’t see that as being so game breaking when you have to work to combine lightning fields with this maneuver, it’s a nice addition, I just don’t see where in ICD would be necessary

in Engineer

Nilix.2170

dont jynx it..

Out of combat super speed is no faster than swiftness. In combat it is as fast as swiftness out of combat. I don’t see that as being so game breaking when you have to work to combine lightning fields with this maneuver, it’s a nice addition, I just don’t see where in ICD would be necessary

3s Super Speed on 10s ICD. I told you.

Purity of Purpose