Listen to everyone...

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

when they say that Eng is underpowered, and don`t waste your time on it.

That`s the advice my guild mates gave me yesterday. I was on my lv 16 engineer, who shoots 16 times with his normal attack to kill a lv 8 critter.

So, should I listen to everyone else?… Is the eng that bad?

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Hes not bad, but hes not good either. He is the only class, along with necro, that is about “ehh” on everything he does. You will find yourself not doing as much dps as the other classes or not doing as much support. It will be good, not great. However, some engineers at high end fractals say its about impossible with them now.

My advice, get another character to 80 first if this is your first character. Do thief, mesmer, guard, warrior, or ranger. Try them all out, see what you like. You can try necros if you like, but they are in the same boat as engineers atm.

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

ooh

well I was lv 15 and I was doing a class quest / proffesion, story quest. It seam pretty hard, I mean I died about 4-5 times because if 2-3 mobs were focusing me, there was nothing I could do. I tried LoS, heals, running, etc, but they were hitting 100-200 / hit and I was hitting 35/70 crit.

It`s not my first char, so I`m not a complete noob. I stopped playing GW2 after the Fractals were introduced because I was dissapointed, and I saw that a big patch with lots of fixes came on the 14. So I am back to have a taste of the new and improved GW2.

I`ll try an ele I guess, I hate to play a class that everyone else plays, I saw TONS of Warrs, Rangers and Guardians…

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Kintoun Zetto.2651

Kintoun Zetto.2651

A week ago, Engineer’s were a fairly decent class that, if you tried hard, researched and played well, you could do fantastically in pretty much any PvE situation. Playing the Engineer was like being Batman. Yes, you’re a super hero, but all your friends have super powers and you don’t. Super strength, super durability, etc. But even if you didn’t have super powers, by being clever and making use of the little gadgets and gizmos you’ve managed to figure out, you could still be an integral part of any dungeon party.

Now?

Now Engineers aren’t Batman. They’re more like The Red Bee. Don’t know who that is? Not surprising, he was quickly killed off and left behind, kind of like Engineers in dungeons.

I loved my Engineer. Now it’s severely busted and we all have to pray that maybe AreaNet will fix the class. In the meantime, playing Engi is extremely depressing, don’t bother, seriously roll something else, you’ll be more interested in playing the game.

" I was on my lv 16 engineer, who shoots 16 times with his normal attack to kill a lv 8 critter."

Just as an example, most Warriors who have even an inkling of how to play their character can solo three to four equal level VETERAN mobs (especially in the <40 range) without breaking a sweat and kill them all in significantly less than 16 hits.

That’s how screwed Engis are.

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

yep right now yep. It’s so messed up that I have to throw 30-39 grenades, GRENADES mind you to kill anything.

Bombs and pistol shots too slow too underpowered to do any real damage, explosives don’t have as wide an explosion radius as a sword swing, really? seriously?

They want us to focus on condi damage when using bombs/nades but when you are in a large group they cap the number of conds on the enemy so most of the time you aren’t doing sqwat.

So long as they allow bunker thieves and bunker warriors to 1-3 shot everyone the imbalance will never be fixed. (and yes I play a thief I know)

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Seod.7924

Seod.7924

Are you having fun? If so, then stick with the class, it’s a fun one. Probably the profession i had to most fun so far. However, it is hard to play, especially with the nerfs/bugs. If you want a extra challenge, stick with the engi lol.

If you want to run dungeons or be king in wvw, then you might want to look into something else, especially if it’s your first/main character.

But that’s just me.

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Netsu.3769

Netsu.3769

Yeah if it really worries you that you might end up being sub-par then change the profession. If you just want to have fun then stick to whatever is most fun to you, for me it’s the engineer
You can do explorable dungeons just fine with the engineer, and you can have fun in WvW too, but if you want to get to the higher Fractal levels or be great at 1v1 in WvW then it’s not that great.

The Jolly Fellas [JF]
Seafarer’s Rest server

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Travail.7390

Travail.7390

I found levels 1-20 were pretty brutal on my Engi trying to do the story quests at the same level as the quest (as an Asura.) I don’t know why, but most of them I couldn’t do without dying multiple times.

It got better, though. Eventually you get the Elixir Gun, which despite it’s lackluster healing is still 2 more heals to make you a little more beefy (and condition removal, if you don’t run with the medkit.) Once you hit 20, you can also finally take a major trait, which helps a lot. Kit refinement gets you yet another heal for your EG, and a second Grenade Barrage if you use grenades. Going with Forceful Explosions allows you to bomb kite much easier, and is probably the most powerful trait at such a low level.

-Travail.

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Legionius.3641

Legionius.3641

Engi was ridiculously fun to level. Once you hit 80, it completely changes.

Having 3 other 80s to compare it to made getting it full exotic very painful.

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: silvershadez.8421

silvershadez.8421

As someone who just finished his 5th lvl 80 char I think I can draw you a good picture of this class.

First of I started playing a thief to lvl 80. Got bored by facerolling people and those (probably easiest) gameplay.

My second char was aimed for a bit more of a challenge: an elementalist. There was literally no single good spec known about the ele, when I started this toon. I had lot’s of fun playing it, as it was way more challenging compared to the thief. Soon I found out about a really great spec and ele is now my main in all areas.

But im not that kind of guy who plays just 1 class (i completely abandoned my thief back then), so i started lvling a necro (because people said a power necro is impossible to play back then). Even tho necro is tougher to play then a thief it was way more simple then my ele. I still had fun playing him, but theres not so much depht within the necro just like with my ele.

So now i was starting my engi. I allready knew about the grenade spec and that it was highly effective in PvE + WvW when I started him. Still I had a blast playing it. It was as complex to play, maybe even more then my ele and gave me that challenging gameplay i was looking for since I’ve finished on my ele.

My 5th char after that was a mesmer (which isn’t a bad class, it’s just again way easier to play then i like it to be).

What I want to say is that you shouldn’t look for the prof which get’s you the easiest kills. You should go for those that generate the most fun for you. The grenade nerf was hurting my build hard. Still there is room to adapt (even tho I have to completely rehaul my gear now). No matter how hard they are gonna nerf the engi or ele: I’ll keep on playing them until something more challenging arrives.

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

My main is a Necro to lvl80, move to Engineer just got to lvl 80 and its in the same state as necro lol. BTW my necro and his draining wells are still much better than ( atleast for me) the engineer build i went for. Glass cannon build.. takes 16 shots to kill stuff. ( I don’t use kits )

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Still enjoy playing my engineer, soloing or duoing world content but I’m starting to feel a bit guilty taking him into dungeons as there is the definite feeling that he is being “carried” by the other people in the party. There was quite often that feeling when trying to dps but now it’s feeling that way in support too; so it feels that all I can bring to the table at the moment is condition removal, a couple of very situational tricks (like Magnet … which can also be brought by Thieves or – to a lesser degree – Necromancers), and lack-lustre heals and even more lacklustre-dps.

So as I say, solo it’s still fun and challenging … but in a group, unless you get a kick out of mooching, it’s deeply unsatisfying now.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Irikami.6270

Irikami.6270

Being “carried” in dungeons, really?
Idk why peoples cry so much about engi in dungeons, it’s not the best class but is really good, you can do a great DPS and still heal a lot, sometimes the group can simply tank spank bosses with just a engii heals, i save a lot of peoples in my group, even warriors going to the ground so fast. You can be a OP support in dungeons in heals and tank and do a good dps at same time, and for pvp with a good build, if you don’t kill easy, you doing it wrong.

Artien Ni, Engineer
Naraku no Kitsune, Necromancer
Fort Aspenwood (GODS)

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: blurps.2340

blurps.2340

Engineer scores high marks on style but is low on substance.

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

the group can simply tank spank bosses with just a engii heals

Don’t be oblivious.

Warriors and guardians tank bosses allright without anyone’s help.

Your “great DPS” is medicore at best.

And no, engi can’t tank in serious dungeons.

To OP:
Don’t listen to anyone.
If you like the profession – go for it.
Things will change anyway. And the balance of power will never be the same.

In pve engi has a distinct place in parties – that is vuln stacking from grenades. This is very powerful mechanics that increases overall party DPS by as much as 25%.

In pvp engi is a decent class and someone even mark him as close to OP.

He is not useless. Though not as strong and versatile in pve as some other professions. But worth playing anyway.

EU Aurora Glade

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Ponder.3647

Ponder.3647

Don’t listen to the naysayers.

My first character was a Warrior. By level 40 I was bored, and by level 60 I couldn’t bear it anymore.

Rolled Engineer and zoomed to 80 because it was way more fun.

Depending on spec and setup, my Engi can tank, OT/support heal, or DPS in instances just fine. Not sure why everyone seems to be struggling, but I have not experienced any problems.

In PvP, TANKCAT and Static Discharge builds are super fun, and I recommend trying them in sPvP and WvW.

In short, it’s not as bad as people say it is. It just seems that way because complainers have a louder voice than the complacent. :P

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: Ponder.3647

Ponder.3647

Don’t listen to anyone.
If you like the profession – go for it.
Things will change anyway. And the balance of power will never be the same.

This. In MMOs, it’s completely normal for a “gimped” class to become overpowered overnight with minor tweaks, major changes, or even just the discovery of some synergy in a little used spec.

Listen to everyone...

in Engineer

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Being “carried” in dungeons, really?
Idk why peoples cry so much about engi in dungeons, it’s not the best class but is really good, you can do a great DPS and still heal a lot, sometimes the group can simply tank spank bosses with just a engii heals, i save a lot of peoples in my group, even warriors going to the ground so fast. You can be a OP support in dungeons in heals and tank and do a good dps at same time, and for pvp with a good build, if you don’t kill easy, you doing it wrong.

Just last week I would have agreed with everything you have to say. This week? Not so much.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square