Looking for kitless P/S PVE build

in Engineer

Posted by: Rebcart.2486

Rebcart.2486

I am about to finish my Quip once I get my precursor, and I am looking for a good PVE build that uses no kits and uses pistol/shield. The reason being I want to display the weapon as much as I can, and since kits hide the weapon, this is a no-go.

EDIT: I’m willing to swap to a kit quickly for Speedy Kits purposes

(edited by Rebcart.2486)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dan.2940

Dan.2940

So let me get this straight, you want speedy kits, but you don’t want to use kits? You’re planning on speccing for kit swapping but not use that kit? You would basically waste a utility slot just for speed and for a cosmetic look. Not to mention its hard to find a viable build without kit use.

| Siynn – Lvl 80 Thief | Jaata – Lvl 80 Engineer |
| Smitê – Lvl 80 Guardian | Arraxie – Lvl 80 Ele |
Ehmry Bay

in Engineer

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

So let me get this straight, you want speedy kits, but you don’t want to use kits? You’re planning on speccing for kit swapping but not use that kit? You would basically waste a utility slot just for speed and for a cosmetic look. Not to mention its hard to find a viable build without kit use.

He said he was willing to, not that he required it. Kit-swapping can get you permanent swiftness, vigor and might, which is nothing to sneeze at… if it’s appropriate for the build.

Heck, I slot bomb kit just for the toolbelt and fire field, if I’m stacking might for a dungeon group (Big ’ol Bomb, Thumper Turret, Magnetic Inversion, Runes of Altruism, 18 stacks of might for everyone. 21 if I feel like dropping supply crate.)

I have no build suggestions for primarily P/S or P/P though.

in Engineer

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

I am about to finish my Quip once I get my precursor, and I am looking for a good PVE build that uses no kits and uses pistol/shield. The reason being I want to display the weapon as much as I can, and since kits hide the weapon, this is a no-go.

EDIT: I’m willing to swap to a kit quickly for Speedy Kits purposes

What are you looking to focus on with P/S? I run primarily P/P condition build that only uses the elixir gun for speedy kits and some extra condition removal.

in Engineer

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

just using p/s really isn’t that great of an idea…

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqelIqya37SeF1LJRIFF2wgekX+iXRFw8nCsF-jACBINBkWAkqAIHqIasVTFRjVJjIqWdDzIuIa1BBsI-e

I actually made this for the same reason you are looking for. Generic AOE condition damage. 2k+ Condition Damage so your conditions will stick.

Flamethrower is used as utility, so you’re only in it to use knockback, fire field, or blind. I haven’t looked at it since the update, but with the extra burn duration you could probably change that FT for something else. Or you could forego that trait altogether and grab Speedy Kits that you mentioned wanting.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

kokocabana.8153

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqelIqya37SeF1LJRIFF2wgekX+iXRFw8nCsF-jACBINBkWAkqAIHqIasVTFRjVJjIqWdDzIuIa1BBsI-e

I actually made this for the same reason you are looking for. Generic AOE condition damage. 2k+ Condition Damage so your conditions will stick.

Flamethrower is used as utility, so you’re only in it to use knockback, fire field, or blind. I haven’t looked at it since the update, but with the extra burn duration you could probably change that FT for something else. Or you could forego that trait altogether and grab Speedy Kits that you mentioned wanting.

This is a good example. Generally, you want 1 kit for swiftness/support, 1 gadget with a useful toolbelt skill, and one elixir. The problem I see with going conditions on a P/S is that you will have problems keeping burn up. You will have no problems with bleeds and poisons. The rocket boot toolbelt is great but without blowtorch from the second pistol to support, it will not be as effective.

Here’s the build I used to use as a P/S before I switched to P/P because of a lack of constant burn. It focuses more on the pistols and fighting at range. Switch to elixir gun for elixir F+acid bomb combo and super elixir for cleansing. The elixir gun also stacks bleed, but at a longer range so it is good for using as an opener before switching to pistols on closer range. Use the healing turret offensively by detonating at melee range to damage, interrupt, and give you might. You can use whatever elixir you feel like.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqelIqqb37SgF17IyoCdGoH6VexXfewW01DC-jAyAItASVAICg5wioxWNLiGrmBTjSEV7RKiWdQALC-e

(edited by kokocabana.8153)

in Engineer

Posted by: JBenzon.3274

JBenzon.3274

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqel0picX8STF17IyoHkWntZgekX81I+pAbB-jAyAYrASZApCAJviox2IKiGreBTXSEV7PKiWNA-e

I’m trying out a Static Discharge P/S build. The toolbelt skills all range about the same as pistol skills, and having Toolkit as a back up melee is nice.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rebcart.2486

Rebcart.2486

What are you looking to focus on with P/S? I run primarily P/P condition build that only uses the elixir gun for speedy kits and some extra condition removal.

Being that GW2 is a purely cosmetic game, I enjoy the look of my shield enough to want to always have it displayed.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

The problem I see with going conditions on a P/S is that you will have problems keeping burn up. You will have no problems with bleeds and poisons. The rocket boot toolbelt is great but without blowtorch from the second pistol to support, it will not be as effective.

It was a concern of mine but it’s not really an issue in PvE because nothing is removing your conditions save boss transitions. In that case just be aware of when you’re applying them. Pre patch I was fine when the trait was only 20% burn duration, and nothing extra from sigils, food, or runes (30% total for my build). Now that my total would be 43% I see no issues at all. You also have perma burning as long as Napalm is up, and nearly 6 seconds every 10 seconds with crits. I also use Air Blast on bosses frequently to extend burn duration, it’s quite nice.

Blowtorch would be nice to be sure, but it’s not necessary in the build I linked to keep burns up. Shield is just too useful for me, though Glue Shot + Sitting Duck would be great for PvE as well.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

kokocabana.8153

Being that GW2 is a purely cosmetic game, I enjoy the look of my shield enough to want to always have it displayed.

I think you interpreted my post as a “why are you bothering with P/S”. I meant it as what kind of build are you looking to run with P/S. Like focusing on conditions or stacking lots of might with elixirs or CCs. This way we can help you make a build that suits what you want to do.

in Engineer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

I play a no kit P/S and P/P build (same build i carry both) Im a pvp player mostly but with full rabid I am a condition machine in PvE. The only spot i feel weak is world events (due to bleed stacking) and then who cares…

Anyhow here is the build 10/30/0/20/10
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcEQJAqel0p6dnuSeF1LJyoCdGoH5FfNiiU8YQ2nCsFA-jwyAYrASRApKA5vioxWziW5LINiwqXwUwER1mbioaPAGA-e

I focus on elixers (yes i thought about getting HGH but speedy kits is worth it in WvW maybe for PvE you can just go for HGH)

Rocket boots cuz there fun and the toolbelt skill is BOSS

Elixer B for a lot of reasons i mean swiftness is nice and so is might but between the fury on this and med kit i have around 100% uptime on fure when i feel like maintaining it.

Elixer U double edged sword but its a great burst skill, stack up your buffs and then spam #1 and get bleed stacks.

Im more fond of P/P but with Quip i would go P/S unless you want to get 2 Quips lol

Oh one last thing if its a P/S build you can swap MEd kit for Healing Turret for the extra water fields If you use f1 + rocket boots then drop ur turret overcharge and #4 it will be some nice healing.

(edited by tattoohead.3217)

in Engineer

Dan.2940

He said he was willing to, not that he required it. Kit-swapping can get you permanent swiftness, vigor and might, which is nothing to sneeze at… if it’s appropriate for the build.

Heck, I slot bomb kit just for the toolbelt and fire field, if I’m stacking might for a dungeon group (Big ’ol Bomb, Thumper Turret, Magnetic Inversion, Runes of Altruism, 18 stacks of might for everyone. 21 if I feel like dropping supply crate.)

“I’m willing to swap to a kit QUICKLY for Speedy Kits purposes”
Reading this tells me that he only wants to swap to a kit for speed, and that utility would never be used because he prefers to look at his cosmetic weapons. There is no point speccing for kit swapping speed if you are going to waste a utility slot on a kit you will never use. Hes better off bringing Elixir B and getting swiftness/fury/might/retaliation.

Ehmry Bay

in Engineer

tattoohead.3217

Reading this tells me that he only wants to swap to a kit for speed, and that utility would never be used because he prefers to look at his cosmetic weapons. There is no point speccing for kit swapping speed if you are going to waste a utility slot on a kit you will never use. Hes better off bringing Elixir B and getting swiftness/fury/might/retaliation.

I disagree, i mean i see your point but Med Kit is awesome even if you only swap into it for swiftness and use the toolbelt skill. Also FT is great for that same reason, on a condition the toolbelt skill is worth the utility slot.

If i had Quip i would not be chillin in a Kit for very long

in Engineer

Dan.2940

I disagree, i mean i see your point but Med Kit is awesome even if you only swap into it for swiftness and use the toolbelt skill. Also FT is great for that same reason, on a condition the toolbelt skill is worth the utility slot.

If i had Quip i would not be chillin in a Kit for very long

What im trying to say is, kits are general used for their skills, not just for the speed, and by speccing for speedy kits, you spend trait points and waste a utility slot you wont use… If he just wants swiftness, he can just use an elixir and gain extra boons + save those trait points. I totally understand the legendary weapon problem with engis though, all that hard work to make a legendary and you hardly ever see it from kit swapping….

Ehmry Bay

in Engineer

tattoohead.3217

Perma swiftness from speedy kits is nice in WvW though…. outside of that elixir B is good enough. Another idea is to use tool kit, yeah you will lose the gun but you would only use it as an OH CRAP for the block lol

in Engineer

Dan.2940

Perma swiftness from speedy kits is nice in WvW though…. outside of that elixir B is good enough. Another idea is to use tool kit, yeah you will lose the gun but you would only use it as an OH CRAP for the block lol

Kits in general are amazing, i was just going by the specifications he wanted for his build, to not use any kits (only for quick kit swap for speed), and a build that is more for pve.

Ehmry Bay