Make Acidic Elixirs apply 5 seconds of poison

in Engineer

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

What did they think when they entered the damage value? It is really a joke. I mean this trait will always have a hard time competing with stuff like forceful explosions (the bomb/grenade aoe increase) and incendiary ammo (the +1000 dmg every 3 seconds in a condition spec).

If they want to keep it just doinh damage this would atleast have to exceed the bomb autoattack given that even with low cooldown elixirs you will do this about every 10 seconds at best. I say just give it poison. Goes really well with the name and I just think it will bemore useful that way.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kai.3680

Kai.3680

Adding poison would definitely up the value of the trait. Unfortunately I don’t think much of anything other than a total rework could save this trait. In addition to the pathetic damage the trait was added to the explosives tree which basically sealed its fate.

I have always thought that they should combine this trait with that of acidic coating in the alchemy tree. Each thrown elixir does a base amount of damage and then “coats” you. Then for however many seconds any enemy that melees you will be poisoned for several seconds. Another possibility would be for the elixirs to grant you retaliation for 2-3 seconds, cause damage, and add whatever random buff they normally do. What about every thrown elixir creates a fixed radius lower duration version of the elixir guns acid bath? Given that the damage is so low there really is a good amount of buff room within the trait.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

Love your idea Kai!

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in Engineer

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

I am surprised there are still people thinking about this trait. I totaly forgot it is there and I never used it and propably never will unless it gets a rework.

Kais’ ideas seem really good I hope a dev reads it.

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

I’d actually just prefer it be a puddle of direct damage that pulses 3 to 5 times. In my opinion we have enough Poison, but then I’ve been running Nades and Pistols forever so perhaps my opinion is tainted.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in Engineer

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

I love this idea. It might even give engineers a decent or at least fun poison/condition build. A nice poison uptime on any foe. Sigil of venom/doom anyone? Burger foods?

More direct damage would be OP and again pretty uninteresting. It’s just what we need to get nerfed again having grenade barrage burst + kit refinement barrage + this + static discharge, untargetted, but still possible to land at melee range.

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

I have allways wanted it to spawn that Combo Field, Theives steal from us, and then throw down! It cripple and poision I think? and when you shoot trough it it gives Confusion, and a leap Finisher/Blast finihser gives Chaos armoar! Yes please!

in Engineer

Posted by: Rfreak.6591

Rfreak.6591

Well… you know… it’s not the only skill sadly… did you try Shockwave yet? (thumper turret’s toolbelt)

They are there for the sake of filling a spot, they aren’t real skills/traits.

in Engineer

Posted by: Idocreating.7094

Idocreating.7094

Acidic Elixirs should work as another incentive to throw your elixirs onto your allies in close range of an enemy. Make it grant a 10 second poison on your ally’s next attack.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

People mention more direct dmg on it might make it op. I don’t think so because remember that elixir throws have cast animations. You basically sacrifice something you could do instead (from simple autoattack to laying a big old bomb) and thus it really is allowed to be somewhat decent.

I also love Kais idead exspeically the “coat yourself with poison” one but I doubt Arenanet will do anything that requires more than 5 minutes of code change.

The way we use thrown elixirs right now is pretty much selfbuffing and a bit group buffing (the radius really is rather small for that). It would be pretty useful if it added poison while I do this to enemies in melee range. A small 5 secon poison combo field would be even cooler, I agree. Everything would be more usefull than the 100 dmg it does right now.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

Acidic Elixirs needs to do something useful. Right now it’s craptastic damage. If throwing elixirs didn’t have a cast time (like Surprise Shot), I’d argue differently, but right now it’s one of the worst traits you can feasibly take in the game. First off you’re forfeiting a potential boon / effect in favor of attempting more damage, or you have to get close to make it work both ways – either way is a significant drawback.

My suggestion? “Thrown elixirs are now blast finishers.”