Make rocket boot a ground target leap?

in Engineer

Posted by: Silver.9084

Silver.9084

Rocket Boot at its current state is really bad, since you CC yourself on use, its jsut plain useless. The only good thing about it is its toolbelt skill, and even that isn’t that good.

In a way to boost gadgets and favor their use over elixirs, how about making Rocket Boots a ground target 1000~ish range leap? That would make it really awesome and people would actually slot it as a stunbreaker!

Thoughts?

Tux – [VoTF] Vengeance of The Fallen

in Engineer

Posted by: Welswift.9813

Welswift.9813

If they are going to change the animation, why not make it epic? What if it moved to the target area while spewing fire from your boots for a similar burn condition effect as the toolbelt skill? Eh? Now that would get slotted really quick.

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

They could just triple the range that RB knocks you back, oh and fix the bugs attached to RB. But since something as simple as this seems to be beyond Anet’s abilities, just make Rb Ride the Lightning with some Engineer flair. Maybe make it Ride the Gear, where you throw a gear and surf it for 1200 range. I don’t know what I am even saying, back to the jagermeister.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

in Engineer

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

They could just triple the range that RB knocks you back, oh and fix the bugs attached to RB. But since something as simple as this seems to be beyond Anet’s abilities, just make Rb Ride the Lightning with some Engineer flair. Maybe make it Ride the Gear, where you throw a gear and surf it for 1200 range. I don’t know what I am even saying, back to the jagermeister.

Elonian_Engineer.jpg

Sounds like a cool skill, though. However, for RB as is stands, I’d just do:
Rocket Boots

• Activation no longer interrupts the player. Animation and effect identical to [Acid Bomb]’s retreating leap.
  • Now grants ¾ seconds of evasion upon use.

Rocket Kick (Rocket Boots’ tool-belt skill)

• Range increased from 300 to 600.
  • Now counts as a Leap Finisher.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

I like rocket boots, it’s an escape move that kicks in the instant you use it (even in air!). Sure, I get knocked down too, but having a second stun breaker is not so bad when you get tool belt skills for both. But, having it lift you just a bit higher would be nice, so that it would actually work uphill, too.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I like rocket boots, it’s an escape move that kicks in the instant you use it (even in air!). Sure, I get knocked down too, but having a second stun breaker is not so bad when you get tool belt skills for both. But, having it lift you just a bit higher would be nice, so that it would actually work uphill, too.

am I reading this correct?
A second stunbreaker just to deal with Rocket Boots itself?
Are you serious about this being even remotely ‘acceptable’?

I agree it should jump higher, but it simply should not knock you down. At all…
There is no reason for it. Gadgets are weak for reasons like this.

No self-knockdown.
Jump higher to avoid terrain.
Maybe jump forward (personal preference).

Those seem not unreasonable to ask for.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Probable bugs if RB was GTAoE (ground targeted AoE):

1.) Timing issues → a main issue, since we already have timing issues with jump shot, esp. if there are network/server delays and the likes.
2.) Hard/Soft CC’ed (hard: stuns/interrupts, soft: movement conditions) while flying → rare occurrence, but if it happens you can guarantee that the movement will get arrested midflight/slowed, and can revert back to 1.
3.) Condition removal borked → another issue already plaguing Rocket Boots.

Fixes for:
1 → this one probably goes to the timing code for the game itself, or how combat is handled
2 → If it was intended to clear and act as a gap closer, maybe apply immunity to movement conditions for a short time? If not, then at least update the tooltip for it to be clearly shown?
3 → See fix for 1.

in Engineer

Tuomir.1830

am I reading this correct?
A second stunbreaker just to deal with Rocket Boots itself?
Are you serious about this being even remotely ‘acceptable’?

I agree it should jump higher, but it simply should not knock you down. At all…
There is no reason for it. Gadgets are weak for reasons like this.

No self-knockdown.
Jump higher to avoid terrain.
Maybe jump forward (personal preference).

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. It’s a getaway move with instant cast without any kind of targeting necessary, decent cooldown, blast finisher and a good tool belt move for builds that make use of conditions. The drawback of knockdown is perfectly acceptable, especially if you pair it with a stun breaker that also has a good tool belt skill.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

They are when you consider what other classes have. Elementalists have a skill very similar to what you’re looking for: Lightning Flash.

But Lightning Flash has a 45 second cooldown versus Rocket Boot’s 30, isn’t a Blast finisher, and doesn’t have a toolbelt skill that additionally burns targets for 5 seconds.

You have to be mindful that given everything else the Engineer has, Rocket Boots is a very effective escape tool.

Smoke Bomb -> Rocket Boots sends you back 900 range and puts you in stealth. It’s saved me many times in WvW.

I think it’s reasonable to request the removal of the knockdown in the skill, but asking that it’s a targeted skill is a bit much. We already have Jump Shot, which is probably one of the most ridiculous Leap skills in the game and literally breaks Jumping Puzzles.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

They are when you consider what other classes have. Elementalists have a skill very similar to what you’re looking for: Lightning Flash.

But Lightning Flash has a 45 second cooldown versus Rocket Boot’s 30, isn’t a Blast finisher, and doesn’t have a toolbelt skill that additionally burns targets for 5 seconds.

You have to be mindful that given everything else the Engineer has, Rocket Boots is a very effective escape tool.

Smoke Bomb -> Rocket Boots sends you back 900 range and puts you in stealth. It’s saved me many times in WvW.

I think it’s reasonable to request the removal of the knockdown in the skill, but asking that it’s a targeted skill is a bit much. We already have Jump Shot, which is probably one of the most ridiculous Leap skills in the game and literally breaks Jumping Puzzles.

I don’t ask for it to be targeted actually.

- no self stun seems not too much to ask for.
- I would like it to go forward instead of backward myself, but that’s personal preference and doesn’t change it’s effectiveness.
- and the bit about jumping higher changes nothing, except that it would fail less. Very often my jump only goes a very small distance. This coul help to avoid that. Technical fix, not making it ‘better’.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I think I’d be fine with it launching you forward than knocking you back. As an escape option, that probably makes more sense.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Make it random which way you jump (forward, backwards), remove knockdown.

Seems like something they’d do, except give it four ways to jump instead of two.

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

I think I’d be fine with it launching you forward than knocking you back. As an escape option, that probably makes more sense.

Engineers use Acid Bomb as an escape option, and it launches you backwards.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I will use it as one sometimes. But it’s annoying having to turn around and face my target and then use it. Especially if I’m crippled/chilled.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

actually sounds great except 1 thing….

they still haven’t fixed the leapshot we already have!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Tuomir.1830

I will use it as one sometimes. But it’s annoying having to turn around and face my target and then use it. Especially if I’m crippled/chilled.

I don’t use rocket boots when running away. I use it when I have to be elsewhere, right on that moment, right out of the fight. That’s why the backwards knockback works perfectly.

in Engineer

Posted by: yolosmurf.8052

yolosmurf.8052

Rocket Boot at its current state is really bad, since you CC yourself on use, its jsut plain useless. The only good thing about it is its toolbelt skill, and even that isn’t that good.

In a way to boost gadgets and favor their use over elixirs, how about making Rocket Boots a ground target 1000~ish range leap? That would make it really awesome and people would actually slot it as a stunbreaker!
Thoughts?

Best change suggestion i`ve seen on the forums so far.

Personally i would also like to change it to a “Leap finisher” as well getting us access to 1 more of those. Not sure if you were including that already.

Reaaaally good change seriously would make me want to use it.

in Engineer

Posted by: jaif.3518

jaif.3518

They could just triple the range that RB knocks you back…

This. I don’t care about the damage, just knock me back further.

This skill is useful for escaping, just make it put you far enough away.

-Jeff

in Engineer

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

I’d rather that Rocket Boots did not knock me back at triple the range (2700!!) because that would be certain death in WvW when fighting near cliffs, and a massively overpowered escape that would see the nerfhammer come down the very next patch.

There are 2 absolutely critical fixes that will make Rocket Boots slot-able for anything other than Rocket Kick:
1) Make the cleansing of soft CC happen BEFORE the self-launch component. Sure, RB cures Cripple, Chill, and Immobilise, but you go NOWHERE, and go only 100 units as a result, setting yourself up for a followup burst.
2) Actually, remove the self launch component completely, and instead make it a 900 unit “charge” that uses the Whirlwind attack targeting Reticule. Then increase the cooldown to 50 seconds. Give it the Burning Speed animation, but add no damage component to the end of the charge.

Now you have a mini Ride the Lightning for a 10 second longer cooldown, uses a utility slot instead of a Weapon Skill slot, and it’s still better than what we have right now.

Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

Rocket Boots should just propel you in the direction you are moving with no self CC (straight back when not moving).

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: Aleth.9630

Aleth.9630

You know there’s an “About Face” keybind ingame, right?

in Engineer

Posted by: Earthmonkey.4326

Earthmonkey.4326

Rocket Boots would be perfect, imo, if they would just half the time it takes you to get back up at the end, or better yet, simply make you land on your feet.

in Engineer

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

I was playing around with Melandru runes and rocket boots the other day. the 30% reduced stun duration helps but it’s kinda lame to require a 6pc rune set just to make a skill tolerable.

making RB a 900 range leap fits right into the current game design so shouldn’t be too earth shattering to change it. I’ve been pushing this suggestion since they buffed signets and nerfed elixir S. woulda been nice to get with the last patch. oh wells…

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

Rocket Boots Deffinetly needs an on hit (from launch site) effect. Perhaps if Rocket Boots is used in combat it simply acts like “Acid Bombs” jump. But when used to break a stun or immobilize it knocks down nearby targets from launch point and still knocks you down. -shrug- If nothing else make us “Distort” while under the effects of Rocket Boots. Then the self stun would actually be nice. Currently it is horrible for its assumed application of creating distance from any foe.

I would be fine with the stylistic nature of Rocket Boots self knock back if it had one of the following:
A)You were “Invulnerable” or gain Stability for Rocket Boots duration.
B)Stunned or Dazed players at launch point.
C)Knocked Down targets at launch point for equal duration as your own self knock down.
D)If it removed 2 conditions in addition to removing the movement impairing effects.

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King

in Engineer

Posted by: Lifeson.4352

Lifeson.4352

When I have Stability and use Rocket Boots, I get the “Immune” message and I don’t launch back, is this intended? Really? I’m staying away from guardians….

in Engineer

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

When I have Stability and use Rocket Boots, I get the “Immune” message and I don’t launch back, is this intended? Really? I’m staying away from guardians….

One thing that Guild Wars 2 does spectacularly worse at compared to its predecessor is the accuracy of tooltip information. This extends even to the GW2 wiki, where most of its article content is derived from tooltips that are either inaccurate, or patently False.

Rocket Boots is such an offender.

The Movement component of Rocket Boots is actually a self-inflicted Launch . Stability will negate movement impairing conditions, including Launch.

The self-inflicted Launch is actually contrary to the GW2 Wiki content, which considers Rocket Boots to be a Retreat . Retreat skills always force a backwards dodge roll and grant invulnerability frames ( Evade ).

You will notice that throughout the entire self-inflicted Launch, which is far longer than the 0.75sec of invulnerability frames that Dodging normally grants, that you can still be hit by attacks. Thus, Rocket Boots grants no Evade frames, and is a self-inflicted Launch.

Therefore, when you have Stability on and then trigger Rocket Boots, nothing happens. You are Immune to Launch, so you move no-where. I discovered this as I was levelling my Engineer and still experimenting with Gadgets.

I have never, ever slotted Rocket Boots since.

The final nail in Rocket Boots’ coffin is the fact that the soft CC (Immobilise, Cripple, Chill) Cleanse component applies after the Launch component is triggered.

Movement impairing conditions such as Immobilise, Cripple and Chill apply their movement speed debuff even while a character is controlled by Launch; since even whilst your character is Launched, it is still considered to be moving.

Therefore, activating Rocket Boots will Launch you, then cleanse the snares. If you are snared, tough luck. You go no-where. Even worse, the Launch has a set duration, so you will have basically stunned yourself for the entire duration.

TL;DR: You should never take Rocket Boots expecting it to work like a good stunbreaker. Abuse the Blast Finisher in Smoke Fields to stealth yourself and break LOS in WvW, but use it on its own, and you are basically handing yourself to your enemies on a silver platter.

PS: Acid Bomb from Elixir Gun is 10x better.

Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend

in Engineer

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

This topic shouldnt disappear.

As it is rocket boots are useless (amon other things) because if you get immobilized you cant turn to adjust the direction in which you fly off.

Ohh and also what malthias posted:

quote The final nail in Rocket Boots’ coffin is the fact that the soft CC (Immobilise, Cripple, Chill) Cleanse component applies after the Launch component is triggered.
Movement impairing conditions such as Immobilise, Cripple and Chill apply their movement speed debuff even while a character is controlled by Launch; since even whilst your character is Launched, it is still considered to be moving.
Therefore, activating Rocket Boots will Launch you, then cleanse the snares. If you are snared, tough luck. You go no-where. Even worse, the Launch has a set duration, so you will have basically stunned yourself for the entire duration. stop quote

Seriously the guy before me has a number of very good points that make the skill meh

Make it a ground target leap pretty please? maybe reduce recovery? remove snares when the skill activates! make it a leap finisher?!