Mask's new WvW build preview

in Engineer

Posted by: Kolisch.4691

Kolisch.4691

@Kolisch: You mean you can hit a single enemy twice with each shot? How?

Refer to my post here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Engineer-In-Depth-PvP-Guide-Tips-and-Tricks/1621915

HoT = Grind Wars 2
HoT = WvW players forced to PVE

in Engineer

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

May I ask why you take Pistol shots pierce?

Not taking group fights/multiple enemies into the equation, in close quarter combat or by making use of a terrain, this trait helps you deal double damage on an enemy.

Can you explain this ? I checked the skill on golems and…. you know ….I only shoot through the foe. Seems for me not very useful

Edit:

There’s something I want to add that new players might want to learn about pistols which is not mentioned in this thread. With the trait coated bullets, it’s possible to deal extra damage with Explosive Shot on an enemy by making use of the environment. Lets say you shoot an enemy standing a few feet from a wall/tree/anything that can be called an obstruction, and it pierces him and that bullet hits the wall. The initial shot hurts him (dmg), bullet pierces, and then hits the wall (explodes), and that explosion hits the player next to it. This can also be done when you’re atop of something shooting the enemy below you — the bullet pierces and explodes on the ground. You too can make use of this on slopes as well… as long as you understand the concept well you will always be wanting to look for a situation where your Explosive Shots can deal that extra damage.

Ok now I understand. But still I guess it is not the best skill we can take

(edited by Lupanic.6502)

in Engineer

Posted by: Sporadicus.1028

Sporadicus.1028

@ Ink: If you are talking about Pistol Shot, catching an enemy just shy of the range limit of pistols (with coated bullets trait) allows you to hit the enemy not only with the bullet itself, but also with the explosion at the end of the range.

If you have an enemy directly in front or behind another enemy, then you will hit them with the AOE explosion of the bullet hitting the enemy nearby as well as the bullet hitting him/her/it.

Malkin Rawl – Charr Engineer, Tarnished Coast
Loudmouth, lousy PvPer, and mediocre PvEer.
I don’t own, I just play

in Engineer

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Probably the best thing about the build is that it uses the same trait point setup as my pve hgh might stacking flamethrower build, so I get to avoid any cost when swapping into pve mode. I just have to swap a few traits and gear around.

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but please do share! Weapons, utilities, gear stats, runes, sigils and major traits please! Just a link or a PM will do.

I don’t want to hijack Mask’s thread, so I’ll pm you it.

Could you set up a seperate companion thread? I’d be interested in seeing it as well! Also Mask, awesome music, that kitten song has been my earwig all week.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/engineer/?2.0|a.1h.h15.a.1h.h4|0.0.0.0.0.0|1c.79.1c.79.1n.77.1c.77.1n.7d.1c.7d|1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c.1c.9c.cc.9c|0.u58b.a6.u28b.0|55.1|2b.2g.2j.2w.30|e

First you must understand that I am not a build maker, like Mask, but I did throw this together so you could get the general idea(Also this isn’t my idea, someone else posted a variation of this somewhere else.) The gear isn’t min/maxed in the link above and it can be changed around significantly to get a better balance of stats.

-high might uptime. Should be 18-25 stacks most of the time if you pop your potions due to juggernaut giving you 9-10 free off the bat due to the runes.
-Good toughness due to juggernaut.
-decent self healing from omnombettery pie and sigil of blood, although that was nerfed recently due to the cooldown on the pie. May be better to just go with sigil of air or fire if you want more damage.
-Crazy amount of vulnerability stacking due to the large amount of times that flamethrower hits in one channel and the vulnerability on crit trait in the firearms tree.
-good toughness and vitality, although has to much in the above build and you could trade out some for more damage.
-Ideally, this build works better with 10 in explosives or tools, but the point is to swap straight to this out of masks build on the fly with no respec.

Eh, really wouldn’t like to discuss this to much here. Im just giving you a general idea of how I swap to flamethrower on the fly from masks build, and how it actually isn’t a bad build if you play with it to get the gear right.

in Engineer

timidobserver.7925

I have an issue with thieves on the pistol build or really any build. The thieves that are built to be able to constantly in combat stealth. On GW2, unlike other games, they are allowed to in combat stealth so many times in a row. After about 3 of them your out of ways to mitigate the burst they pop out of stealth with.

in Engineer

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

I had a question though: Have you thought about dropping some vitality for extra toughness? I’m a huge fan of toughness and I think if you balanced the two stats out a little more you’ll see your survivability go up, especially considering the sheer amount of boons you have rolling at any given time. Protection, Regen, Vigor, pretty much everything has me thinking that you shouldn’t need over 20k hp with this build.

Agreed.

I’ve been running 0/30/20/20/0

In addition to the extra toughness I really like 20 into inventions (or at least 15) for automated medical response minor trait.

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

in Engineer

Posted by: Maullus.1273

Maullus.1273

A few questions!

1) The two builds in the original post are not quite the same. What’s the significance of the differences?

2) How does this compare/contrast with a Condition-Grenade build? (The typical 30/10/0/30/0 build.) I haven’t really tried any condition builds at 80, so it’s a bit of a blindspot for me—still, I really, really want to get Quip and I’m trying to find a good build to support/justify that decision. I’ve been running Condi Nades in sPvP and it’s quite effective.

3) Does anyone run with this build in sPvP or, more importantly, tPvP? How does it measure up? I would think the focus would have to shift away from Confusion, at least.

4) No +condition duration except the +30% from Alchemy. I don’t think that is enough to bump any of out conditions up to another damage tick. Is that because the focus is on Confusion?

5) Any thoughts on how an Asura would best squeeze Pain Inverter in? Or if it’s even worth it?

Trying to work all this condition stuff out. Thanks.

Mad Maullix
Tarnished Coast
Panic Time!

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

alright, so:

1) the two builds are different due to lazyness. the first link is there for the build, the second for the gear; I didnt update the traits in the second link as I felt it was unnecessary and too much trouble at the time :p
As I dropped elixir C for toolkit, I found it necessary to trait into 409, leaving potent elixirs out.

2)that grenade build is probably better for spvp, I prefer this build for wvw.

3) I’ve had people telling me it still works in spvp but I can’t really answer that, I havent done spvp in a while and the rune choices would have to be different.

4)alchemy gives 30% boon duration, not condition. I run with 0 condition duration and I don’t find it much of a problem. If Givers weapons were fixed I could probably go with 50%, provided I’d rearrange some pieces to get some of the lost power back. I focus more on reapplying and doing direct damage at the same time rather than betting it all on condition duration.

5) I honestly dont know. When I was running elixir C, I’d at times drop that for pain inverter when condition removal wasn’t an issue. I guess you could always drop B and rely on hidden flask alone, but I don’t like that much.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Posted by: Maullus.1273

Maullus.1273

Hey, thanks. I must have had my eyes crossed when I looked at the build calculator for question 4.

Mad Maullix
Tarnished Coast
Panic Time!

in Engineer

Posted by: notanewmethod.8267

notanewmethod.8267

Tried this build last night with a mix of carrion/rabid/rampager and had a blast with it. I particularly enjoyed the lasting power of the build as I went up against extended 2v1’s that turned into 1v1’s and then back into 2v1’s as more opponents showed up.

I’m too lazy to farm Monk runes, so I’m considering 4/4 altruism and 2/2 water runes. Has anyone tried Altruism runes with this build? I’ve been doing fine with 6/6 undead runes, but having might last longer is certainly something I would enjoy.

Also, I’m curious why isn’t Rare Veggie Pizza used to lengthen the duration of confusion?

Notanewmethod – Asura Engineer (p/p, Toolkit, HGH)
Mask’s WvW Build – 0 | 30 | 10 | 30 | 0 (Soldier/Carrion gear, Rabid trinkets)
B P – Human Thief (d/p – 0 | 10 | 30 | 30 | 0)

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

altruism should work fin and so does rare veggie pizza. the reason I don’t use it is because I don’t want to lose 100 power. I might use pizza again if they fix givers weapons; even so I’ll be dropping 180 power and I’m not sure how to make up for it.

engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

timidobserver.7925

So, I heard that the giver’s stuff is fixed now. Anyone confirmation of whether that is true, and if so, would two giver pistols work well for this build?

EDIT:
Confirmed that giver’s are working correctly now. Combining two giver pistols with rare veggie pizza works out decently with your p/p, although im not sure if the drop in condition damage is worth it.

(edited by timidobserver.7925)

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

I’m using one giver’s and pizza now, +50% duration.
I’m using full carrion armor and switched an earring to rampager. I did lose some toughness but also got some vit back. It’s working fine so far.

in Engineer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

After looking at your setup if you wanted to roll with the zerg you could swap to flamethrower. That’d be like an easy 20+ stacks of might. Personally burning damage is the hardest hitting condition we have and if they remove your blowtorch you’re losing a lot of damage. Also wish cloaking device teleported us to a random location because it only helps against ranged enemies.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

I avoid rolling with a zerg like the plague :<
but regarding flamethrower what I do sometimes is equip out of combat it for a moment just to have incendiary ammo on then switch back to toolkit. I’m too lazy to do i t everytime, too much of micromanagement, but its fun for ganks :p

cloaking device helps against melee too, especially if you are moving when they immobilize you. it also messes up alot of combos that require targeting. also, the duration on the stealth is often longer than the immobilize itself.

(edited by Maskaganda.2043)