Med kit, am i just bad or better?

in Engineer

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

Q:

This is going to be more of a “Red, you moron xD youre supposed to use it like this” which is probably how it is, i keep getting houndered in spvp and tpvp for using the medkit with my condi engi (grenades) rabid gear, instead of the healing turret, i really find that the healing turret locks you down too much and with the elixer gun and medkit and stay alive while evading attacks, the condi removal and fury is absaloutly tasty, i always find that the medkit is just so much more useful and when i switch out to turret i die,

so im an engi, i use elixer gun and grenade kit and bomb kit for condi pressure on zones, i use rabid gear for the tougness and the precision helps proc fire and bleeds from crits. but i just cant seem to get this heal down can anyone explain for me please?

Thanks
RedC

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in Engineer

RedCobra.7693

A:

The med kit is good. It definitely has it’s merits and you mentioned pretty much all of them. The Healing turret just allows you to cleanse condis a lot better and AoE heal on the overcharge skill.

HT has better group utility and better heals over time but MK is great for setting up on a point and getting ready for that moment when things hit the fan.

I disagree that Healing Turret has better condition removal and better healing over time. Condition removal is the same on both healing skills, and the Med Kit has better healing over time, thanks to bandages and a shorter tool belt recharge time. But Healing Turret definitely is better in group play.

im going to pick this for the answer, i cant see that its better and even for team play i think £%$^ loads of bandages help your team more, i prefer to save my blast finishers than waste on health, not only that at 25% i get my 5k heal back with med kit so its extremely useful, however i will recognise that ive had to trait into this so it only works for me, i see that it is chosen for the support to a team,

i like the idea of switching skills xD thats a good point however i mainly play tPVP
thank you

in Engineer

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

People use the healing turret as an instant heal most of the time: press overcharge (F1) then detonate it instantly for a healing burst. It heals better than the medkit over time.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in Engineer

RedCobra.7693

People use the healing turret as an instant heal most of the time: press overcharge (F1) then detonate it instantly for a healing burst. It heals better than the medkit over time.

Really? do you have numbers for the turret? if im asked to defend i point i start stacking bandages and can get about 12k HP worth of bandaging and condi removals onto the ground before im attacked, i then have the instant 5k heal from my toolkit and regen while in a toolkit for the supply heals, i just cant see how its better, alot of people defend the turret so it must be better, but is that always the case? it hurts my brain

in Engineer

RedCobra.7693

let me add something else aswell, the 5k heal is on the tool belt and my toolbelt skills recharge at 25% health :P

in Engineer

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Healing Turret is good because of its two water fields, which pairs really well with all the Engineer’s blast finishers. But I like Med Kit more as well, simply because of its ability to apply endless swiftness with Speedy Kits, and because you can split up your healing, instead of using it all at once.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

The med kit is good. It definitely has it’s merits and you mentioned pretty much all of them. The Healing turret just allows you to cleanse condis a lot better and AoE heal on the overcharge skill.

HT has better group utility and better heals over time but MK is great for setting up on a point and getting ready for that moment when things hit the fan.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Just drop all the medpacks then swap back to healing turret XD

Of course, you can’t do that in tournaments, but it’s fair game in other forms of play.

in Engineer

Kasama.8941

I disagree that Healing Turret has better condition removal and better healing over time. Condition removal is the same on both healing skills, and the Med Kit has better healing over time, thanks to bandages and a shorter tool belt recharge time. But Healing Turret definitely is better in group play.

“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Healing Turret is good because of its two water fields, which pairs really well with all the Engineer’s blast finishers. But I like Med Kit more as well, simply because of its ability to apply endless swiftness with Speedy Kits, and because you can split up your healing, instead of using it all at once.

Just wish the drop was instant on the kits, so if you rushed across the 123 you didn’t find 1 or 2 interrupted because you hit the next one before they were done with windup.

in Engineer

Kasama.8941

Just wish the drop was instant on the kits, so if you rushed across the 123 you didn’t find 1 or 2 interrupted because you hit the next one before they were done with windup.

Yes, that is really annoying! And even more so when you add lag on top..

-Alexander Pope

in Engineer

RedCobra.7693

Yes, that is really annoying! And even more so when you add lag on top..

its nice to see other people use it, even though i get really good results it was rather disheartening to be told constantly that im an idiot for picking it xD solo tpvp for ya lol, but from now on im gonna ignore the haters, they just cant handle my #SWAG,
#YOLO #YOLO

in Engineer

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

It’s just personal preference, really.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Engineer

RedCobra.7693

It’s just personal preference, really.

hmm im not so sure about this, however im more confused of the abuse i get, but they do come very close to each other, id definitely use turret in WvW but in tPVP i use Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Only the #1 bandage is interruptable, because for some reason it functions as an autoattack. Drop your bandages in reverse order—3, 2, 1—and you’ll never interrupt yourself.

in Engineer

RedCobra.7693

the more you know o.0
thank you for that i wasnt aware of that, thats seriously gonna help me out, medkit users unite

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

The Med Kit does have better raw healing, but the Healing Turret has better condition removal.

Drop Antidote only removes one condition while overcharging your Healing Turret removes two.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

RedCobra.7693

The Med Kit does have better raw healing, but the Healing Turret has better condition removal.

Drop Antidote only removes one condition while overcharging your Healing Turret removes two.

you can stack the bottles, this is for tPVP btw i should of mentioned, not only that we have to remember ive traited for toolkit reset at 25% health, thats what is setting them apart tbh for me

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

you can stack the bottles, this is for tPVP btw i should of mentioned, not only that we have to remember ive traited for toolkit reset at 25% health, thats what is setting them apart tbh for me

Well, yes, you can preemptively stack some on the ground, but they despawn after 40 seconds and it doesn’t change the fact that the Healing Turret still cleanses 2 conditions every 15 seconds (when picked up) while Drop Antidote only cleanses 1.

There are advantages to using both, though trait selection will always favor one over the other. I am more a fan of Automated Medical Response myself, which works for both the Med Kit and Healing Turret.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

RedCobra.7693

Well, yes, you can preemptively stack some on the ground, but they despawn after 40 seconds and it doesn’t change the fact that the Healing Turret still cleanses 2 conditions every 15 seconds (when picked up) while Drop Antidote only cleanses 1.

There are advantages to using both, though trait selection will always favor one over the other. I am more a fan of Automated Medical Response myself, which works for both the Med Kit and Healing Turret.

well put tbh, do you reckon this is the reason why im asked to change instead of using medkit? or is it the group heal, i use elixer gun for group heal so the cheaky bloomers have got that xD

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

Only the #1 bandage is interruptable, because for some reason it functions as an autoattack. Drop your bandages in reverse order—3, 2, 1—and you’ll never interrupt yourself.

Noted, tho recently i am experimenting with traited elixir H.

I guess the “interrupt” is hard coded into the skill slot and not the individual skills…

in Engineer

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

I know that I should use HT, but man I just love the kit. I tend to swap out to HT when I know for a fact I’ll need to help heal my party. The biggest problem I run into with HT in t1 wvw is that skill lag can mess up my overcharge. I tend to spam the button and just hope it drops, then overcharges. If that works then I have to blast finish it for it to really work well, then blow it up or pick it up. That’s a lot of work to heal in the middle of a fight especially if there’s any lag (which there always is in t1). Half the time between lag, ccs, etc., I can’t get it all off in time and end up wishing I just had my med kit. Kit would be perfect if the drops were instant. One can only dream.

in Engineer

Posted by: amiable.4823

amiable.4823

The real advantage of medkit is that it allows you to stack “might on heal effects” very efficiently, abrogating the need for a large investment in alchemy….

Aliquot Love – Engineer
Gable Thorn – Elementalist
Shining in Darkness – Warrior – Mag

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

well put tbh, do you reckon this is the reason why im asked to change instead of using medkit? or is it the group heal, i use elixer gun for group heal so the cheaky bloomers have got that xD

I honestly couldn’t tell you why you’re being asked to change. I think they’re both viable and can be played to their strengths. I actually prefer the Med Kit in sPvP myself, largely for the same reasons you’ve already stated: you can preemptively stack bandages on the ground (up to 9 I believe) as well as antidotes. If I am bunkering the home point and no one is attacking, I usually chill out and stack up my consumables.

Between those on the ground and landing a Supply Crate, I have a total of 15 bandages on the ground that can pretty much heal me back to full on top of Bandage Self healing for 5K every 18 seconds or so.

The Med Kit is also really effective for roamers. It procs Swiftness runes like Centaur, meaning you can get Swiftness (and therefore Vigor) without having to sink any points into Tools, leaving you to bury points in other trees instead that improve survivability/mobility. Plus you have Drop Stimulant as well for Fury.

I would say that the Healing Turret is absolutely fantastic for players that are concerned with condition removal or group healing, but unless your build is loaded full of Blast finishers, and unless you actually feel like limiting yourself to exact rotations, the Water fields of the Healing Turret don’t really keep up for self-healing.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

digiowl.9620

Gets me thinking about how much of the engineer skill set is focused around point holding. And how downright irrelevant those are for PVE.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Gets me thinking about how much of the engineer skill set is focused around point holding. And how downright irrelevant those are for PVE.

I wouldn’t say that the Med Kit is designed around point holding so much as that it allows you the flexibility to prepare for incoming damage, which has a lot of use in PvE that a lot of players just don’t bother with.

A lot of it also has to do with the fact that every second you’re dropping bandages is a second you’re not dealing DPS. Knowing when to stack your bandages on the ground and when not to is a pretty integral part to successfully wielding the Med Kit without lowering your own DPS. Most players don’t bother to learn, so they see the Healing Turret having the advantage.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Pazu.8320

Pazu.8320

There are very few situations outside of pvp where stacking bandages will be effective. Sure, you can drop them before the cutscene of a dungeon boss fight then swap out to HT, but that’s probably at best 5k heal party-wide. The other important advantage of HT over medkit is that medkit CANNOT cure immobilize while HT can.

Paul Lukische (ele), Pazu Plus One (ranger), Oh The Pazubilities (mes) et al – Sanctum of Rall
Champion Titles: Legionnaire, Genius, Magus, Paragon, Illusionist, Phantom, Shadow, Ritualist
Spectral Legion [SL] is recruiting! spectrallegion.com

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

There are very few situations outside of pvp where stacking bandages will be effective.

I think you’re looking at it the wrong way. It isn’t so much about what is “effective” or “ineffective” (and I think there’s plenty to be asked about what you mean by that) so much as that there are many times pauses in combat—whether in PvE, WvW, or PvP—where you’re unable to attack a boss or player.

In WvW I see a lot of Engineers make the mistake of chasing down stealthed players rather than taking those few seconds to drop a few bandages on the ground and preempt some damage they’re no doubt about to take. Instead they continue running around like a headless chicken, end up taking the damage anyway, and try to heal back to full using bandages while simultaneously taking more damage. Such is an example of poor judgment.

The same could be said of many PvE bosses with stealth/invulnerability mechanics or multiple phases, which in total are much more frequent than a “few situations” if you happen to regularly run dungeons and fractals. If you’re not doing damage anyway, it’s not a “DPS loss” and you’re helping preempt damage taken for yourself or others that you’ll end up receiving when the boss comes back around.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Healing Turret gives 2 condition removal instead of 1 from Medkit.
Healing Turret has 0.5 second cast time making it very hard to interrupt even with anticipation. Medkit Bandage Self is the standard 1s cast heal. Good players can interrupt very easily. Counter with LoS or blind.
Healing Turret can be combo’d with various abilities to Area Heal with Combo Blast Finisher. In an emergency Healing Turret + Detonate (water field stays) + Shield 4 Detonate + Rocket Boots should give you a high healing spike with CC and movement.
Medkit Healing on paper is higher with the 1-3 skills, however you cannot utilise them when immobilised and each bandage has a 0.5 second cast time, and although you can use them to the fullest out of LoS, that’s 1.5 seconds you are not outputting CC or damage.
Healing Turret gives regen that can stack with Backpack Regenerator that will sometimes save you from clutch situations, but I’m sure some will argue Medkit gives more healing.
Healing Turret has a 15 second CD if stowed and you can stow it even when you are kiting forward, you just have to be quick with Overcharge -> Stow turret. Harder with Super Speed on, but that’s a rare exception.

Healing Turret is 5040 heal + 8 second 130 regen = 6080 heal
on 0.5 second cast-time,
15 second CD OR

Healing Turret is 5040 heal + 8 second 130 regen + 1320 x max 4 times Blast finish = max 11360 heal
on 3-0.5 second cast-time,
20 second CD
(Combo: Big Ol’ Bomb -> Healing Turret -> Overcharge -> Detonate + Shield 4 + Big Ol’ Bomb Detonation + Rocket Boots)

Medkit is 4920 + 1000 × 3 = 7920 heal
on 1+1.5 = max 2.5 second cast-time,
20-15.5 second CD.

Medkit is better for Power burst as it can have minimum 10 seconds of fury for the Rifle-Grenade-Toolkit-Slickshoes CC spike combo to crit more.
Healing Turret is better for Condi removal, safer healing (harder to interrupt), and quick spike healing via usage of water + blast finish. Also more self-combos with Fire Bomb and Smoke Bomb for Might and Stealth, respectively.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

in Engineer

RedCobra.7693

Healing Turret has 0.5 second cast time making it very hard to interrupt even with anticipation. Medkit Bandage Self is the standard 1s cast heal. Good players can interrupt very easily. Counter with LoS or blind.
Healing Turret can be combo’d with various abilities to Area Heal with Combo Blast Finisher. In an emergency Healing Turret + Detonate (water field stays) + Shield 4 Detonate + Rocket Boots should give you a high healing spike with CC and movement.
Medkit Healing on paper is higher with the 1-3 skills, however you cannot utilise them when immobilised and each bandage has a 0.5 second cast time, and although you can use them to the fullest out of LoS, that’s 1.5 seconds you are not outputting CC or damage.
Healing Turret gives regen that can stack with Backpack Regenerator that will sometimes save you from clutch situations, but I’m sure some will argue Medkit gives more healing.
Healing Turret has a 15 second CD if stowed and you can stow it even when you are kiting forward, you just have to be quick with Overcharge -> Stow turret. Harder with Super Speed on, but that’s a rare exception.

on 0.5 second cast-time,
15 second CD OR

Healing Turret is 5040 heal + 8 second 130 regen + 1320 x max 4 times Blast finish = max 11360 heal
20 second CD
(Combo: Big Ol’ Bomb -> Healing Turret -> Overcharge -> Detonate + Shield 4 + Big Ol’ Bomb Detonation + Rocket Boots)

20-15.5 second CD.

Medkit is better for Power burst as it can have minimum 10 seconds of fury for the Rifle-Grenade-Toolkit-Slickshoes CC spike combo to crit more.
Healing Turret is better for Condi removal, safer healing (harder to interrupt), and quick spike healing via usage of water + blast finish. Also more self-combos with Fire Bomb and Smoke Bomb for Might and Stealth, respectively.

no phineas is right on, i think thats what it is, people dont learn to use the medkit, ive always been very qwirky when it came to using skills and ive always tended to see things the average person wont, the best thing about the medkit is when ever you are not attacking, you can be healing, without having to put your main heal (5k) on cooldown, also the trait, toolbets reset at 25% means you get 10k instead of 5k, i think this is the main thing you are forgetting.

you seem to be rather good at your maths but youve focused to much on it and you forget about situational details, maths is all well and good when you want to get that tiny bit of extra defence or health. but when people do their maths they tend to miss out some big details like the previous trait ive mentioned.

in Engineer

Ralkuth.1456

Indeed. I’ve missed out the Toolbelt reset trait altogether. Big mistake on my part. I was trying to be fair, but I was not as experienced with the Medkit as I thought I would be.
I have rarely run with 15 in Tools for the past few weeks. If you use that trait, you get good spike healing for sure, but you are limited to a trait internal CD (90 seconds is huge) and 25% hp, a risky predicament, and you won’t always have LoS or blocks/blinds to protect it with. Healing Turret blast finishes would be on relatively low CD, with a few 20-30 second skills. I remember back when Engineer Bunkers are viable, I used to stack bandages on the side of a point all the time. It does promote you to stay in the area though.
My experience with the Medkit was that I would use it primarily for the Fury, which means I will be using a squishy Power spec, and often I would die to bursts before the trait comes into play, and even then I would be a priority target due to my low health. There wasn’t a real choice between the 2 heals back then, when Healing Turret was extremely lackluster.
I am biased because I’ve been using the Healing Turret to great effect when fighting Condition classes, and I’ve had situations where Healing Turret area healing helped teammates survive.
However, I can see how it can be viable in a high survivability spec and used for healing sustain. 3k+ healing may just be the difference in the long run.

5 useless class titles

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

in Engineer

Kasama.8941

on 0.5 second cast-time,
15 second CD OR

20 second CD

20-15.5 second CD.

You can’t say Med Kit, without mentioning swiftness. This is one of the biggest strength of the Med Kit, especially in WvW. You also didn’t mention that Med Kit allows you to split up your healing better, which is very useful when you have other healing sources, like the Elixir Gun.

-Alexander Pope

in Engineer

Ralkuth.1456

I’d assume Speedy Kits is in every build, but I guess it isn’t. Thank you for the heads up. On the same note, Healing Turret gives AoE regen, which Medkit doesn’t.
You can also split up Healing Turret healing by using the toolbelt skill Healing Mist to blast finish off of, for 1320 AoE healing each. I think that was the amount Medkit skills 1-3 healed for before the reduction.

5 useless class titles

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

in Engineer

Kasama.8941

I’d assume Speedy Kits is in every build, but I guess it isn’t. Thank you for the heads up. On the same note, Healing Turret gives AoE regen, which Medkit doesn’t.
You can also split up Healing Turret healing by using the toolbelt skill Healing Mist to blast finish off of, for 1320 AoE healing each. I think that was the amount Medkit skills 1-3 healed for before the reduction.

Speedy Kits plus Drop Stimulant means you can increase your swiftness. So even before you get into combat, you can easily have 30+ seconds of swiftness. This also potentially allows you to share your swiftness with another player.

Yeah, you can gain 780 healing from Regeneration Mist, or 2100 healing with a blast finisher. But then you will have used an extra skill, to do the same thing that Med Kit can do on its own. Regenerating Mist, and blast finishers, also have long recharge times.

It’s also worth mentioning that sigils can be used to provide even more healing when using the Med Kit.

-Alexander Pope

in Engineer

Ralkuth.1456

Yes, Water Field + Blast finish has longer CDs, but you can combine multiple instant blast finishers depending on what you are running with, to spike heal AoE reliably. The only thing in the combo with an interruptable cast is the F1 skill itself at 0.25 seconds. Turret heal is also not easily interruptible at 0.5 second cast.
Medkit does have more healing on its own, but you cannot utilise the 1-5 skills if immobilised, and it has to be cast over 1.5 seconds. The heal itself is a 1 second normal cast that can be interrupted well with skills like Doom or Headshot.
We can talk numeral, and also temporal. I believe the consideration has to be encompassing (which I have not done well).

I understand the improved quality-of-life with swiftness stacking + Rune synergy, but the removal of 2 conditions every 15-20 second (Turret) vs 1 every 15 (Medkit) is also a QoL thing. Healing Turret CD is also not that far from the Rune CD of 10 seconds. To be honest, I rather like offensive runes and I’m not so sure I want to build so defensive. I also like the blast finisher from detonation, but in the end, it is a preference what you want to run. I have no problem with kit-switching to get swiftness; I also kit switch for the vigour as well.

I’m happy that we are discussing with civility. This is only my opinion, and sometimes I can be stubborn and resistant to change. But, I’ve been reminded a few things about Medkit and traits I have forgotten about, and I’m appreciative.

5 useless class titles

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I think it’s true that if you’re dealing with a trapper/immobilized-spec Engineer or Ranger, the Med Kit really loses its effectiveness. Entangle especially can really hurt a Med Kit Engi.

This is why, when I run with the Med Kit, I generally prefer running without Speedy Kits in PvP in favor of Swiftness runes (such as Air). When roaming, it gives me room in my build to take Cloaking Device instead. I also tend to bring the Rifle for Overcharged Shot, which cures me of any immobilized conditions I have. Rocket Boots is also frequently brought, both for the skill’s ridiculous mobility (especially when paired with Swiftness) but also that Rocket Boots, similar to Overcharged Shot, cure you of crippled, immobilized, or chilled.

So while I agree that the Med Kit initially has a lot of weaknesses, if you take the time to construct a build around it—and learn when to drop bandages and when not to—you’ll see it doesn’t really have any large weaknesses you cannot work around. If you’re more than willing to fill your bar full of Blast finishers to maximize the potential of the Healing Turret, wielding the Rifle over the Pistol is—by comparison—a fairly small sacrifice.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Medkit has higher hps and has sinergy with Inertial Converter.

The main problem is you’ll have to actively heal yourself, and it’ll take you more time and focus than healing turret.

And it’s a BIG problem if someone immobilizes you.

Outside of the AoE, those are more reasons while Healing Turret feels less frustrating to use than Medkit.

BUT Medkit lets you play some builds that are possible only with it.

Example: you can build and maintaint up to 18 stacks of might with 20 points in alchemy, Enhanced Performance and Rune of the noble. Use it in a build with dire gear, and you’ll have a walking nightmare… more similar to a Dark Souls boss :P

One question: does rune of scavenging life steal on heal have an internal cooldown? If not, you can spam lifesteals with medkit.XD

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Engineer

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

This is how you use the Healing Turret:

in Engineer

Kasama.8941

If Med Kit is your only source of condition removal (it really shouldn’t be though), the immobilize problem can be solved by using Packaged Stimulants, which allows you to throw Drop Antidote on yourself. It also improves the bandages healing, and swiftness duration, by 25%.

-Alexander Pope

in Engineer

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

If Med Kit is your only source of condition removal (it really shouldn’t be though), the immobilize problem can be solved by using Packaged Stimulants, which allows you to throw Drop Antidote on yourself. It also improves the bandages healing, and swiftness duration, by 25%.

If you wear dire gear, you can kinda tank through conditions… Or pressure the conditioneer more than he pressures you.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself