More communication about the Scrapper please

in Engineer

Posted by: Alkalissa.1706

Alkalissa.1706

So it seems the dev tracker has a lot of talk about the Ranger/Druid since it’s reveal, and we’ve had just one short post… I don’t want to jump on the complain train and whine about everything, but as a player that mains Engi and loves it to death, I’m a little worried that we’re just not getting much attention because nobody working on our class is passionate about it.
A little more communication, and reassurance from the devs that we’re cared for and will keep getting tweaks and updates – especially to Scrapper – after HoT is out would be nice, considering how close it is now.

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Rangers need the attention. They are having a mini-revolution at the moment.

We will not get much from devs until after the BWE.

(edited by lorddarkflare.9186)

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

The posts you’re seeing in the Ranger forum are not from a developer. They do sort of sound like a preferential treatment sort of thing though which I can see how it would irk some people. Gaile plays Ranger so she’s telling the Ranger forum that she’s making sure people are paying attention to them. No one is doing that for us, I get how that could be frustrating.

Both Rangers and Engineers have had one “I see your feedback” sort of post from a developer since their reveals. I don’t expect much of anything before the BWE for either of us.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

The posts you’re seeing in the Ranger forum are not from a developer. They do sort of sound like a preferential treatment sort of thing though which I can see how it would irk some people. Gaile plays Ranger so she’s telling the Ranger forum that she’s making sure people are paying attention to them. No one is doing that for us, I get how that could be frustrating.

Both Rangers and Engineers have had one “I see your feedback” sort of post from a developer since their reveals. I don’t expect much of anything before the BWE for either of us.

Grouch plays Engie.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

After all Irenio came and told us he has much work with the rangers .

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: Ederyn.3107

Ederyn.3107

As an engi we all should be used to be ignored from devs. Its like this Since the beta…so please accept it and go on.

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Rangers need the attention. They are having a mini-revolution at the moment.

We will not get much from devs until after the BWE.

And after BWE they will be busy with HoT release, so maybe first balance comes with the first PvP Season

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Umm…wat?

Scrapper hasn’t even hit the beta yet, so of course we’re not getting a lot of response.

But even then, there’s 3 red posts on the front page of the class forum (which devs almost never respond to, regardless of profession) and one of them is already in response to changing skills before our elite even was playable yet.

in Engineer

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

Yeah, don’t worry. Ranger is getting lots of attention. Enough attention to warrant beating one of the few fun new things we got in Tuesday’s patch into the kittening ground within 24 hours of getting it. That’s what getting Anet’s “attention” is apparently worth.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Yeah, don’t worry. Ranger is getting lots of attention. Enough attention to warrant beating one of the few fun new things we got in Tuesday’s patch into the kittening ground within 24 hours of getting it. That’s what getting Anet’s “attention” is apparently worth.

I don’t get the WHaO rage. I can’t remember rangers saying WHaO was useless before the patch, but I remember many of them saying it is one of (if not THE) best healing skill of the ranger. And all rangers are complaining about this skill become useless? Even after the nerf of the skill, it is more powerful than before the patch. So it is still a buff to it.

We won’t get an answer before BWE, but I hope the devs are reading this and there will be work for the scrapper class mechanic. And I hope all you guys who can participate the BWE will give feedback to improve our profession.

in Engineer

Dahkeus.8243

I don’t get the WHaO rage. I can’t remember rangers saying WHaO was useless before the patch, but I remember many of them saying it is one of (if not THE) best healing skill of the ranger. And all rangers are complaining about this skill become useless? Even after the nerf of the skill, it is more powerful than before the patch. So it is still a buff to it.

We won’t get an answer before BWE, but I hope the devs are reading this and there will be work for the scrapper class mechanic. And I hope all you guys who can participate the BWE will give feedback to improve our profession.

WHaO has been a lackluster healing skill since the game launched. It was nothing more than a straight heal with no condition removal on a long cooldown and long cast time. Troll Unguent and Healing Spring have blown this out of the water for a long time.

in Engineer

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

It’s fine isn’kitten Least played class with likely the friendliest (for what passes for friendly around these parts I kid I kid) community doesn’t get much attention. In any case engineer are good at adapting. I am sure well make it work.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Engineer

Posted by: Irenio CalmonHuang

Irenio CalmonHuang

Game Designer

Hey fellow Engis,

I am reading here and the ranger forums heavily. As others have called out (accurately), working on the last two elite specializations to be revealed is taking up the vast, vast majority of my time, even with assistance from the rest of the team.

This weekend you’ll be able to test out a lot of the theorycrafting (some of which had my eyes widening – in a good way) that you’ve been doing and offer even more awesome feedback.

Things you’ve brought up, like the Scrapper’s lack of a stunbreak on either their utilities or traits is getting acted on, as well as a few more changes to core Engineer and bugfixes.

in Engineer

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

Thank you Huang, every bit of dev commentary here goes a long way to keep up moral. It is much appreciated .

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Hey fellow Engis,

I am reading here and the ranger forums heavily. As others have called out (accurately), working on the last two elite specializations to be revealed is taking up the vast, vast majority of my time, even with assistance from the rest of the team.

This weekend you’ll be able to test out a lot of the theorycrafting (some of which had my eyes widening – in a good way) that you’ve been doing and offer even more awesome feedback.

Things you’ve brought up, like the Scrapper’s lack of a stunbreak on either their utilities or traits is getting acted on, as well as a few more changes to core Engineer and bugfixes.

Thanks for giving us the feedback. I’m glad to hear that.

Can we please get some information about the class mechanic? There are engineers which mainly play PvE are worried about this, cause it doesn’t give us the feeling of something new and playstyle changing. So, are there plans to add something to that or don’t you think there is the need to change something?

in Engineer

lorddarkflare.9186

Hey fellow Engis,

Thanks for giving us the feedback. I’m glad to hear that.

Can we please get some information about the class mechanic? There are engineers which mainly play PvE are worried about this, cause it doesn’t give us the feeling of something new and playstyle changing. So, are there plans to add something to that or don’t you think there is the need to change something?

I would like an answer to this as well. If only because I am tired of people asking it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

None of the builds using it were actually overpowered in practice, yet they gutted it within 24 hours. Meanwhile, they allowed elementalists and mesmers to run around with builds that actually were overpowered for months without bothering to step in. And then, when they did step in with those, they carefully shaved them down instead of shredding them to bloody pieces. It’s a blatant double standard.

in Engineer

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

as well as a few more changes to core Engineer and bugfixes.

YES

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Gaile plays Ranger so she’s telling the Ranger forum that she’s making sure people are paying attention to them. No one is doing that for us, I get how that could be frustrating.

unfortunately those of us that have confidence that this subforum is being read do not have red accounts

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

Gaile plays Ranger so she’s telling the Ranger forum that she’s making sure people are paying attention to them. No one is doing that for us, I get how that could be frustrating.

unfortunately those of us that have confidence that this subforum is being read do not have red accounts

I’m confident they’re reading it as well, but I can see how one of the Anet employees who isn’t a developer posting that they’re making sure that Rangers are getting attention could be frustrating for some people. I don’t think it is but it’s pretty easy for me to see how someone could make that connection.

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

please-let-gyro-cooldown-start-immediately, please-let-gyro-cooldown-start-immediately, please-let-gyro-cooldown-start-immediately, please-let-gyro-cooldown-start-immediately!!! >_<’’

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Dahkeus.8243

Awesome, thank you for this.

Also, would you consider making the toolbelt skill for the condi cleanse gyro an active condi cleanse? 3 condi removal per bot condi cleanse is great, but if you can’t remove a really seriously dangerous condi immediately, then I believe we’ll still be too weak to condi builds.

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Amazing to hear! It now feels like we are actually giving good feedback instead of just negative stuff. I have faith!

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Amazing to hear! It now feels like we are actually giving good feedback instead of just negative stuff. I have faith!

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Welp, some tweaks to core engi I personally would love to try out:

- [medical dispersion field] should spreading healing even if we’re on 100% health, and doing so on a 480 range to match the Healing turret range.

- [Juggernaut] should apply its might-stacks every 0.5 seconds and have their base duration devided by 6. Less camping in FT would be welcome. The stability-ticks should remain as is, else it would be too powerful against frequently incomming cc’s.

- [Chemical rounds] should also make pistol shots piercing & make them count as explosion.

- [Iron blooded] should also decrease incoming condi-dmg or receive another defensive effect. It is currenty not worth a grandmaster slot

- switch [stimulant supplier] out for [elixir infused bombs]. EIB now procs on all explosions, but grenades only receive 1/3rd of the healing per grenade. Combined with my suggestion for chemical rounds, this could make pistol/shield into a decent weapon-set for support builds.

- increase the dmg-modifier on [shaped charge]. It is weaker then the minor trait & there are potential build options that apply vulnerability but don’t utilize explosions at all. F.e. Flamethrower + [Heavy Armor Exploit]. Also, please increase the vulnerability duration of HAE to 5 seconds, so it gets in line with [Steel-packed Powder]

- Allow [Adrenal Implant] to stack with vigor. Currently its inability to do so either ridicules the grandmaster or the minor trait in tools. If you have special reasons for not letting it stack with vigor, change the minor trait to directly grant endurance, instead of (usually pointless) vigor stacks.

- Allow [Gadgeteer] to also build charges when evading or blocking attacks. Or better, remove the charge-building mechanic all together & allow [gadgeteer] to grant us overcharged gadgets permanently as long as we run the trait.

That’s it for the core spec.
The scrapper traits & mainhand weapons looks awesome so far, but the class-mechanic & utilities feel like the opposite of a strudy frontline bruiser.

please apply the following changes to all gyros, including the one on the F-key:
- Make them immune to dmg & most condis
- Still allow them to be hard-cc’d / blinded / feared / crippled / chilled / weakened
- let their cd’s start when they spawn
- increase the sneak-gyros cd to 60 sec / keep the sneakgyro damageable (else it would be too powerfull
- give all gyros a 2nd utility skill to blow them up (some were apparently missing it in the stream)

This is a Beta-weekend.
I guess no one would be angry if some of my suggestions would be overpowered, since we’re merely testing them for 2-3 days. Just implement them for a short time so we have a chance to test these in practice & if they turn out to be game-breaking or promote a unwanted play-style for some reason, this stuff could still get rolled back again.

we have a saying in germany about this:
“Probieren geht über studieren.”
roughly translated:
“Trying out is better than studying”
… And german engineering is known for being some of the best in the world.

edit:
forgot one of my notes
- Change [streamlined kits] to only proc their old kit-refinement effects in combat. Out of combat it only should grant the swiftness. This would be a much appreciated QoL change.

edit 2:
- Devide the burning duration of FT AA by 10 & apply it to each tick of Flamejet. Please make use of the engines ability to calculate fractions of seconds of condi-ticks. The recent dmg-buff is very welcome, but this is already the hardest hitting AA we have in terms of power-scaling, but other AA’s are better because they apply vulnerability / weakness / bleed / cripple & do so in a frequent manner.
Having to cast a 2.57sec long skill (cast + aftercast) in order to receive nothing but 1-2 stacks of bleeding, 2 seconds of a single stack of burning & maybe 2-3 vulnerability stacks + swiftness from H.A.E. is simply not worth it.
Appart from splitting up the burning stacks, FT could either
a) directly apply vulnerability with each tick. You know, cooking a opponents armor definitively has some negative impact on its performance.
b) or have a 50% chance to blind targets. Wearing the Inventor’s Sunglasses negates the effect.
c) or have a 20% chance to fear targets for 1 second. I’d run from a flamethrower, just saying…
d) or have a 33% chance to rip boons. Doesn’t really makes sense to have regen tick on you while standing in a river of fire…

give the AA something special & worthwhile to cast it. We spend 2.57 seconds on it, so it would be kinda nice to see this time investment to pay off.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

(edited by Arantheal.7396)

in Engineer

Posted by: Alkalissa.1706

Alkalissa.1706

Hey fellow Engis,

Thanks for this, it’s really great to have this reassurance; I’m really looking forward to seeing how things work out!

in Engineer

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

please-let-gyro-cooldown-start-immediately, please-let-gyro-cooldown-start-immediately, please-let-gyro-cooldown-start-immediately, please-let-gyro-cooldown-start-immediately!!! >_<’’

That would totally not happen.

• Due to popular demand, we changed the Gyros so that their CD starts as soon as they are summoned. Congratulations Scrappers, you now have Perma Stealth with a well over 30s Duration on a 30s Cooldown.

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

Two issues to address:
- Scrapper lack of blast finisher.
- Super Speed not stacking.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

• Due to popular demand, we changed the Gyros so that their CD starts as soon as they are summoned. Congratulations Scrappers, you now have Perma Stealth with a well over 30s Duration on a 30s Cooldown.

…from a visible gyro with no use in pve since it gets nuked by trash and more than enough counterplay in pvp. Also we just rised it’s cd to 45, but I think the other gyros still are fine.

fixed for ya

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

NapTooN.6283

…from a visible gyro with no use in pve since it gets nuked by trash and more than enough counterplay in pvp. Also we just rised it’s cd to 45, but I think the other gyros still are fine.

fixed for ya

the Gyro has a Stealth Duration of 44s with a downtime of 16s. If you are alone, it might be killed by trash (except for the Cannon Phase at Mai Trin, i don’t think that the Cannons target NPCs.) If you have another Scrapper, you have Perma Stealth with invisible Gyros.

I will Play the hell out of the Gyro with Nika in Stronghold because they stealth eachother.

in Engineer

Posted by: archmagus.7249

archmagus.7249

Two issues to address:
- Scrapper lack of blast finisher.
- Super Speed not stacking.

Well one way to address the lack of a blast finisher is to make the gyro self-destruct become a blast finisher, like the turrets.

in Engineer

Unholy Pillager.3791

fixed for ya

the Gyro has a Stealth Duration of 44s with a downtime of 16s. If you are alone, it might be killed by trash (except for the Cannon Phase at Mai Trin, i don’t think that the Cannons target NPCs.) If you have another Scrapper, you have Perma Stealth with invisible Gyros.

I will Play the hell out of the Gyro with Nika in Stronghold because they stealth eachother.

…Assuming that the stealth gyro can be stealthed at all. And if it can, I strongly suspect that they’ll ‘correct’ that, making the skill useless. Besides, it already gimps your movement speed, and in a specialization with heavy access to superspeed.

in Engineer

Posted by: archmagus.7249

archmagus.7249

Anyone else notice that shocking speed has a 10 second ICD? Meaning that leaping through the lightning field generated by thunderclap will give you 3 seconds of super speed, and 20 seconds of swiftness if you take shocking speed.

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

Or, ya know, balance the cooldowns accordingly with making that cooldown start when the Gyros are first summoned. Like every suggestion that has asked for this has said.

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

NapTooN.6283

Or, ya know, balance the cooldowns accordingly with making that cooldown start when the Gyros are first summoned. Like every suggestion that has asked for this has said.

Balance the CD as in making it 60s? You know that it would be the same like now, right? It would even be a Nerf if it dies before it runs out.

in Engineer

lorddarkflare.9186

I personally think the cooldown balance discussion is sort of backward.

Gyros should have effects that merit going on cooldown on death rather than just giving them cooldown on cast.

Would bring some interesting play and use of the utilities. Similar to Healing Turret.

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

Balance the CD as in making it 60s? You know that it would be the same like now, right? It would even be a Nerf if it dies before it runs out.

You’re too caught up in the specifics. Balance the cooldowns accordingly is all that is necessary. If you don’t like that number then think of a different one that makes you happy.

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

Gyros should have effects that merit going on cooldown on death rather than just giving them cooldown on cast.

Would bring some interesting play and use of the utilities. Similar to Healing Turret.

Well Healing Turret works exactly the opposite of how they want turrets to work and it seems like Gyros as well to a lesser extent. They don’t want us blowing up turrets a second after using them, they’ve said as much. This is why they moved a lot of the heal off of the initial placement of HT awhile back, it just did nothing to actually solve the problem.

I don’t think blowing up a turret or gyro immediately after getting its initial effects is interesting play. At that point they’re not even minions for us they’re regular skills that we’re using for a one time effect. That’s not what turrets and gyros are designed for so I don’t think they should push us toward that direction with big death effects. We should want to keep them alive.

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

1. Function gyro is unreliable. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, but..

• it dies really easily in pvp
  • seems to get lost sometimes and just wander off (maybe when enemies stealth?)
  • it’s nearly useless in pve

Recommendation: make it indestructible, smarter, or faster. Gyro could do other pve tasks like loot, mine, activate things.

2. Impact Savant trait is not very useful

• Not every scrapper will use hammer. This is a very hammer-focused trait, as it has one of the few engineer skills that stuns. It feels like a waste of a trait and you have no choice.
  • It only affects stuns, not launches, knockbacks, daze, or other cc. Launch/knockback would be useful for rifle engineers. Daze would be useful for gadgets, etc.

Recommendation: Make it affect other cc as well. That’s what everyone kind of assumed it would do.

3. Decisive renown is not very useful in PvE

• another trait scrapper is forced into. Ideally in PvE, your team is staying alive. If no one goes down, then you get no benefit from this trait.

Recommendation: replace it with something that is less situational

3.5 Function gyro doesn’t use your finisher

It also doesn’t trigger Decisive Renown (which should be replaced, but come on. Tell me someone thought of this. We have function gyro, which stomps/rezzes things, and we have a trait that gives boons for stomping/rezzing things. They don’t interact at all?)
Should be an easy fix, no?

(edited by coro.3176)

in Engineer

Unholy Pillager.3791

Well Healing Turret works exactly the opposite of how they want turrets to work and it seems like Gyros as well to a lesser extent. They don’t want us blowing up turrets a second after using them, they’ve said as much. This is why they moved a lot of the heal off of the initial placement of HT awhile back, it just did nothing to actually solve the problem.

I don’t think blowing up a turret or gyro immediately after getting its initial effects is interesting play. At that point they’re not even minions for us they’re regular skills that we’re using for a one time effect. That’s not what turrets and gyros are designed for so I don’t think they should push us toward that direction with big death effects. We should want to keep them alive.

The problem with that idea is that dropping then exploding a turret is the only efficient way to use it. They go down in about 2 shots, and don’t give the benefit if killed by an opponent. Giving us turrets was a bad decision; giving us turrets and gyros after we begged them not to was a huge mistake.

in Engineer

Posted by: Legit Prep In.5893

Legit Prep In.5893

The Turrets lack since day 1, were 90% of the time broken or didn’t work how they were supposed to work. They go down in a little bit of AoE dmg, or a short cleave. I always find myself going back and trying to play with them, but the traits “buffing” the turrets are worthless and for sure still broken lol, in any pvp the long cooldowns to drop them is the main killer if you ask me.

- Make the turret cooldown 1-5seconds when you manually waste time to pick them up again! This would maybe help…

Now we got “mobile turrets”…. which go on cooldown the moment they are destroyed…. same problem, same reason they will be used as much as turrets in my oppinion

(edited by Legit Prep In.5893)

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Scrapper shows me clearly that “busy with druid” should be our new motto….cause druid works..scrapper does not. The gyros fit right into the theme though they often wander off and leave you there… betrayed. Got a similar feeling about the entire spec right now.. utter betrayal.

Waited one year for something that makes people appreciate me in groups rather then just kick me to make space for another guard or darn ele cause they do what i do much better. A reason to be welcomed in a wvw zerg…but nope the drones cant even keep up with a darn zerg…or a scrapper that just runs at a reasonable pace.

Only the hammer is sorta good.. and even that needs tweaking. I think i saw enough… back to soloing everything.. my rifle..bombs and e-gun. Nobody is gonna need THAT in raids either… so why bother. Shame for the juggernaut.. but maybe i can use it some day on something else…or sell it

in Engineer

Posted by: Legit Prep In.5893

Legit Prep In.5893

now wait for them to reduce the hammer in all terms and lower the few good traits they added (armor etc) , leaving us with broken gyros (harhar)

in Engineer

Posted by: warherox.7943

warherox.7943

I just want a hammer trait that isn’t a boring 10% damage trait.

Doctor Beetus – Burst Engi Maguuma
twitch.tv/doctorbeetus

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

I just want a hammer trait that isn’t a boring 10% damage trait.

Then use Perfectly Weighted, you also get stability nearly every time you evade (you don’t even have to dodge).

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

lorddarkflare.9186

Right, but this game is EXTREMELY hostile to allied A.I.

Despite being a pretty casual game, GW2 requires constant input a modicum of responsiveness and awareness. Allied A.I. are not at that level and cannot truly get there without making them a nightmare to deal with in WvW and PvP.

To exist in the game as it currently is, the ‘gyro-ness’ of gyros needs to be flavor only. Giving them detonations that basically act as utilities is probably the best compromise we can hope for.

(edited by lorddarkflare.9186)