Mortar HgH build for wvw roaming

in Engineer

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Hey everyone. I’ve been playing a lot of this build in WvW for roaming since the specializations patch and it’s been working very well for me so I thought I’d share. It’s one of those bursty mortar HgH builds, with a few differences…
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlcThSuY1Vw+KQ7FLDG04PqRMEfXJCxXASf7B-TFCBABapMAiLAQlq/cmSQsU6BwDAIPdAuv/AA-w (ignore the snowfall runes…I use them for fun, but feel free to replace them with something more practical, like runes of strength. Similarly, you may sub glass cannon for explosive descent)

You can mostly wear berzerker gear because this build has a LOT of short-term defenses
-gear shield, 16sec cd
-2x Elixir S on 48sec cd
-Toss Elixir S on 32sec cd
-protection injection
-stability on toss elixir B, 16sec cd

You are plenty bursty with Orbital strike, sigil of air, aim-assisted rocket, and your normal burst moves (jump shot, prybar, etc).

With HGH and Mechanized Deployment combined, toss elixirs have really short cooldowns (16sec for toss elixir H and B, 32 sec for toss elixir S). I really hope this is intended and isn’t nerfed, because it really helps make elixirs useful again.

You deal with conditions fairly well, due to Alchemical Tinctures and your short elixir / toss elixir cooldowns.

With the berserker gear, mortar kit makes you very potent should you wish to jump into a zerg or get on a keep wall and throw out lots of damage too.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

(edited by fluidmonolith.3584)

in Engineer

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

It took me 3 years to make an engi but after theory crafitng a build just like this I made one.

I love this build. For somebody that never played engi or ele before, elixers were really easy to understand.

On your advice I’m adding in Tool Kit. I was using elixer U before to proc throw U for reflect wall in ZvZ

The one thing I couldnt do is use self regulating defenses. I don’t like auto procs that take away my ability to attack. its not like endure pain trait where i can just keep going.

unfortunatly that left me with backpack regenerator in a zerker gear. I guess its not bad if I join the backline of a zerg with mortar.

The one class I have trouble with is thieves and thats only cause im in zerker. This has left me tempted to try the analyze if you hit in stealth trait. but speedy kits just…..cant give it up

(edited by rpfohr.7048)

in Engineer

fluidmonolith.3584

I also used Elixir U at first (but in place of Elixir B rather than toolkit). I found it didn’t give me enough benefit from HgH/achemical tinctures, so I feel Elixir B is really mandatory. Toolkit is nice too because of the gear shield (among other things).

Fair point on the self-regulating defenses. You don’t really need it as you already have Elixir S on your toolbar, but yeah, backpack regen in a Zerker build is not terribly helpful either.

For thieves, I find that spamming AoE around yourself when they stealth is a decent defense. You have jump shot from the rife as well as mortar fields (the one with the blinding field is very useful here). Ranged thieves (e.g. P/D condition) are probably more challenging, since they don’t need to get into close range much against you.

Thanks for the comments!

Maguuma

in Engineer

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

I also used Elixir U at first (but in place of Elixir B rather than toolkit). I found it didn’t give me enough benefit from HgH/achemical tinctures, so I feel Elixir B is really mandatory. Toolkit is nice too because of the gear shield (among other things).

Fair point on the self-regulating defenses. You don’t really need it as you already have Elixir S on your toolbar, but yeah, backpack regen in a Zerker build is not terribly helpful either.

For thieves, I find that spamming AoE around yourself when they stealth is a decent defense. You have jump shot from the rife as well as mortar fields (the one with the blinding field is very useful here). Ranged thieves (e.g. P/D condition) are probably more challenging, since they don’t need to get into close range much against you.

Thanks for the comments!

No thank you for the build advice…..

Decided im rolling with backback regen for now….I’ll get up to 2600 armor with a smidge of pvt to try to get a little more out of it. and I can switch it out easily for pve I guess.

How do you think this fairs in PvP?

in Engineer

fluidmonolith.3584

I mostly play WvW, so my estimates on SPvP will be primarily speculation.

That said, I think this build with berserker or marauder amulet should be fine in SPvP for roaming, with maybe a few changes. I use Mortar in WvW where having long-ranged attacks is often invaluable. I am not sure that it would be as valuable in SPvP. If you switched Mortar for Elixir X or Supply Crate, then the Explosives specialization would be a lot less valuable, and you may consider swapping Explosives for Firearms, picking up High Caliber, No Scope or Skilled Marksman, and Modified Ammunition.

Streamlined kits would be less integral in SPvP too, so you could pick up Lock On or Takedown Round.

But again, this is just my speculation, since I mostly play WvW.

Maguuma