Mortar oh how I hate you.

in Engineer

Posted by: Stillshade.7634

Stillshade.7634

Did anyone else get really exited as a new engi when they saw mortar as an elite skill and hoped for something with awesome range and damage?
Because I feel betrayed and I have for a long time. Now we all know there are many problems with this skill, but shouldn’t the range on it be at least 2000?

Maguuma Engi Evvenna
Things that go BOOM

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

yup mortar is The Biggest Disapointment in this game after turrets

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

You sit there and are just like: “Fire!! … I said FIRE kitteng!!! FIRE ALREADY … aw kitten this s… whut POOF POOF POOOFFERRDIPOFOFFFF wtf is this latency!?”

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

You sit there and are just like: “Fire!! … I said FIRE kitteng!!! FIRE ALREADY … aw kitten this s… whut POOF POOF POOOFFERRDIPOFOFFFF wtf is this latency!?”

They fixed that last patch, apparently it had two cooldowns, one global and one per ability, and both were not displaying properly. It’s rate of fire is still slow as molasses but its at least clear when you can fire now.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mork vom Ork.2598

Mork vom Ork.2598

The only application for Mortar I have found so far, is the Great Jungle Wurm event, as it will protect you from the periodic fear and has a large enough range to stay outside the wurm’s aoe launch. Mortar is not great there but convenient.

Any other boss where long range & stability would be welcome (Jormag, Golem, Giant in Nageling, Shatterer etc.) just kills the Mortar with a few aoe.

Still loving the smell of Napalm
Bill Kilgore – [BIER] – Seafarer’s Rest random Megaserver

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

The best part about mortars is watching it get +100 range with elite supplies

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

But on more constructive feedback, here is my advice anet:

Allow mortar to be affected by turret traits and+900 range from rifled turret barrels.

What would it do?: Allow turrets to be placed from a safer place while actually still able to hit the enemy. I can’t say how many times I have been forced to put the mortar right in front of a tower gate just to have it destroyed by aoe. And if placed any further it cannot hit anything.

Allow the mortar to crit and scale with power
What would it do?: Skill #1 would actually be dangerous and it combined with the previous suggestion would allow for new builds: The rise of mortar engineers.

This skill is an elite skill and should be treated kitten. Its great that the jamming on mortar was fixed but it still needs a lot of work, and I feel these two will make a huge impact on the skill (with still an easy counter of just coming up to it and destroying it in 2-3 hits). Trust me anet, I’m an engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

They fixed that last patch, apparently it had two cooldowns, one global and one per ability, and both were not displaying properly. It’s rate of fire is still slow as molasses but its at least clear when you can fire now.

Well they said so but they didn’t. Still bugs around, and I definitly don’t have lags.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Grenix.1576

Grenix.1576

I agree, the mortar is a dissapointment. The range is not realistic, i throw granades further :/. The buggy skill lags makes it utterly useless. Sometimes it fires nothing?? Air?
I hope they will make something usefull from this, or rather they just completly remove them and give us someting else in return. Perhaps an elite turret that buffs or moves with you w/e. In SPVP i only ever use supply crate, and rarely elixer X. In pvp I use both. But i never see a purpose for underpowered slow moving, hard to get in right range firing mortars. Besides mortar launghers breaks if i excidently sneeze.

As for a possitive side to it, 120 sec CD is kinda ok..

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

Allow mortar to be affected by turret traits and+900 range from rifled turret barrels.

What would it do?: Allow turrets to be placed from a safer place while actually still able to hit the enemy. I can’t say how many times I have been forced to put the mortar right in front of a tower gate just to have it destroyed by aoe. And if placed any further it cannot hit anything.

What would it do?: Skill #1 would actually be dangerous and it combined with the previous suggestion would allow for new builds: The rise of mortar engineers.

This skill is an elite skill and should be treated kitten. Its great that the jamming on mortar was fixed but it still needs a lot of work, and I feel these two will make a huge impact on the skill (with still an easy counter of just coming up to it and destroying it in 2-3 hits). Trust me anet, I’m an engineer.

^This Make it happen people who make stuff happen :L

its an elite people shouldnt laugh and consider us free kills when we deploy it

at least give it lots of range so we can shoot it from walls in wvw because even if it lacked damage being able to knock crowds would be hugely helpful if we could at least shoot at them

in Engineer

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Swap engineer mortar with the charr’s charrzooka, make it a kit, and boom(pun?) better skill,
I tried liking the mortar, I really did.

in Engineer

Conncept.7638

Well they said so but they didn’t. Still bugs around, and I definitly don’t have lags.

Really? I use it on the champ train, PvP, and occasionally in dungeons and I haven’t had any problems with it since the patch.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lippuringo.1742

Lippuringo.1742

Really? I use it on the champ train, PvP, and occasionally in dungeons and I haven’t had any problems with it since the patch.

I’m not sure if you’re a bad liar, or just bad player.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

so far it hasnt bugged even once for me since the patch
if anything its just stupidly unreliable having only 1400 range and even a worse joke having to spend 20 trait ponits for 100 Range trait highly doubt the 20% damage buff is worth it on a weapon that doesnt crit nor scale with anything as well.

in Engineer

Conncept.7638

Could be a liar, but I’m not the one having problems, so the bad player certainly isn’t me

I don’t just drop it in the middle of a fight, it’s all about placement. There are specific places on PvP maps and in dungeons where you can absolutely destroy objectives with this thing, places where players or mobs have a difficult time reaching you as you bombard and CC the entire enemy team while healing your own. In the champ train I just use it because I think it’s fun and it doesn’t matter what you use in the champ train so long as you can fire it before the champ dies.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

The only situations I’ve ever really used it are world bosses and the harpy fractal, although you might as well just be chucking grenades anyways. I’m not really sure what their original intention in the creation of mortar was other than “it would be a cool thing to have”. It’s weird in that it deploys a pseudo-seige weapon, but it’s nowhere near as useful as something like the firey greatsword. Though oddly enough it does give us access to a frost field.

I think the original concept is that this was the elite “turret” skill, so you’d have turrets out around a node or something protecting it, and then you’d be sitting behind them on your mortar, so the enemy would be taking on your mortar fire while trying to deal with your turrets. Of course we’ve seen how that ends up working out.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Mortar really never goes on my toolbar.
Really lacking.
And it has sooo much design potential!

in Engineer

Posted by: Gluebag.7845

Gluebag.7845

Do the other classes have such an obvious choice for elite? I can literally count on my fingers the times I have seen an engineer running something other than crate. I don’t think I’d even need two hands.

in Engineer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

Love it +1

Honestly I doubt something drastic will ever happen, I feel like Anet is ok with Engi only getting one elite. But kudos for forethought.

and did you really mean +900 range? cuz that would be a little far.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

Love it +1

Honestly I doubt something drastic will ever happen, I feel like Anet is ok with Engi only getting one elite. But kudos for forethought.

and did you really mean +900 range? cuz that would be a little far.

+900 range would be fine for the mortar’s current damage/healing output it doesnt even scale with player stats other than heal power and condi but 0.20 heal power scale is a Joke

the main reason we call for +900 range is because like other manual target skills mortar takes into consideration elevation so you lose about 300-500 range easily when defending towers

in Engineer

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Seriously, what’s the use of mortar when there’s grenades ? Grenades have 1500 range and do better, faster dmg with mobility. They have to increase mortar’s range to 2500 and make its radius 300-ish to make it an “elite” skill. It’s not an “elite” skill currently.

in Engineer

Posted by: Stillshade.7634

Stillshade.7634

Seriously, what’s the use of mortar when there’s grenades ? Grenades have 1500 range and do better, faster dmg with mobility. They have to increase mortar’s range to 2500 and make its radius 300-ish to make it an “elite” skill. It’s not an “elite” skill currently.

And that’s why this needs to be addressed.

Maguuma Engi Evvenna
Things that go BOOM

in Engineer

Posted by: Guizzer.2901

Guizzer.2901

Well i love this class and engineers in WvW roaming are beasts, but they aren’t very good in running with a zerg.
An idea as come to my head, the engineer ultimate “Mortar” this is terrible as it is, but if the damage and range would be increased a bit , engineers would start to be a little more useful in blobs.
I know that if it was like the siege mortar it would be op, but if the damage was a little less it was ok, because imagine that a blob vs blob and they see that the engineer is on the mortar, the success for a blob is to keep moving in and out, if the mortar was a treat they immediately would focus it and thats why i think it works.
I bet someone as thought of this too , would like to know your opinion

in Engineer

Posted by: KDXX.9520

KDXX.9520

I run as a flame tank Engie (flamethrower + Juggernaut Traits) I have very little trouble keeping up with a zerg. I run medkit, so I can use the stimulant to boost my speed, and I run power shoes trait to give me a passive 25% speed bonus.

That said, about the Mortar, yes. it sucks. It’s structurally weak, easy to spot (siege icon), low damage, slow fire rate, and a ridiculously short range for a MORTAR POSITION!

Ok I get Anet doesn’t want it to be OP, but at least give a 10-20% boost in damage and give it half the range of a siege mortar, so that is can be set up somewhat away from the main zergs.

Alternatively, give basic fire incendiary abilities, via trait, preferably the one that boost mortar range as well, does 150-200 burn damage per sec, on location, on top of initial impact damage. Give it 30% more range and 50-75% more health.

Either make it so the mortar fires from a real, meaningful distance, or give it the ability to survive the amount of zerg HATE that’s going to come raining down the moment that siege icon pops up. One of the two.

in Engineer

Posted by: Guizzer.2901

Guizzer.2901

completly agreed.
about the engi in a zerg, i can survive and keep up with a zerg too but what i was talking was the amount of utility it as, like my guild prefers that i run my guardian or ele or mesmer, cuz it offers more utility in a zerg

in Engineer

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

Healing Bombs frontline bunker or Grenades with toolkit, rocket boots and speedy kits trait.
Funny: Tripple turret build with knock back trait – you can annoy others alot.

in Engineer

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

completly agreed.
about the engi in a zerg, i can survive and keep up with a zerg too but what i was talking was the amount of utility it as, like my guild prefers that i run my guardian or ele or mesmer, cuz it offers more utility in a zerg

Start running as a FT HGH build engy, but instead of HGH take Cleaning Formula, just keep tossing those elixirs at your raid.

in Engineer

Posted by: Stalima.5490

Stalima.5490

it was probably just a mistake in general to even put the mortar in as an elite skill, it wouldnt be half as frustrating if it was just a standard kit based turret that you could drop and pickup anytime.

of course it has its uses like when i was trolling people with it during the toxic spore mortar events… they actually tried to dps the spore with it…

in Engineer

Posted by: nihasa.5067

nihasa.5067

I still try to use it from time to time in WvW but i give up quite fast)) More range would be nice.

Nihasa The Engineer [WvW] Seafarer’s Rest [EU]

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

mortar…heh.. id prever to call it “sad excuse”. From where i come from mortars got a massive range and are\where used to pretty much rain destruction on the enemie. The mortar atm here (specially as elite skill) is just sad. Costs a ton of points to unlock, dont takes much abuse, reloads slow and to use it indoors (like dungeons or other places with a low ceilling) dont works cause the grenade explodes on the ceilling, all would be ok IF the mortar would dish out more damage and got a greater range to be actually usefull. I mean it got everything you need.. even a darn healing aoe, how awesome would that be in a boss battle? Awesome support and heavy hitting tool..that gets fully wasted cause really.. why bother to put the mortar out if you can right away toss grenades or use the e-cannon to deploy a super elixir aoe…is not much difference in range and damage and you are mobile, so sad..

in Engineer

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

I think there are a few positive points about the mortar:
-IF not destroyed, it is the only elite skill with a 100% up time (as far as I know)
-May not outdamage grenadekit with full off gear and 30 points in explosives but it will definetly outperform anything with a full support build (let’s say 30 inventions / 30 alchemy / 10 x). It’s nice to set it up and fire it while your healskills and elexiers reload. After all you didn’t have to pay for the damage it dishes out.
-Until the mortar is destroyed, you cannot be pulled off a wall in WvW using it to bombard the enemy at your gate. If you can use line of sight to your advantage, enemy might even have a hard time destroying it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

I personally run a 30 inventions\30 alchemy\10 explosives build myself and its funny that i still find no use for the mortar. I clearly DO lack raw damage output cause i enjoy to support my group more with my elixir cannon and flamer then to jump arround like a ninja showering grenades and bombs like a kid on sugar (Not like thats an insult or criticism whatsoever ). I actually tried for a while now to use the mortar to support proper and it really really didnt work out for me whatsoever. To switch from mortar to kit takes twice as long as to switch from kit to kit and you loose mobility (and so the ability to dodge). The mortar also needs a moment to turn itself to the direction it shoots what further removes precision that should be (in my opinion) there with such a short range. A real improvement would be to atleast measure its range with a “flat cyrcle” if i may name it like this for the moment cause i noticed often that if you for example put it on a hill or a cliff or stuff and should be technically able to hit an enemie below you, you most likely cant cause its out of range even if in a linear distance the enemie is about half of the mortars usual range away. To “fix” that would make the mortar very VERY usefull cause afterall a grenade that flys in an arch dont gets stopped cause the target´s height is …lets say 50 feet below it.
Or maybe its just me and my lack of game experience, i only play gw2 since the holidays. I do notice that as long as you use the mortar you are “immune” to fear and dont run away from an enemie or get affected in any other way while you operate it though.

in Engineer

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

There are multiple ways to fix mortars.

• Remove minimum distance + increase health. Let us pure bunker homepoint.
  • Increase distance dramatically- Mortars should get treb range and hit mid point from home point.
  • Remove auto-attack cooldown + give us crit damage- Let us synergize quickness with mortar.

Any one of these will be fine.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant