My Engineer Drops very quick...

in Engineer

Posted by: Dolemite.9823

Dolemite.9823

So last night I took my lvl 62 Engineer into the Fractals with a guild group and I found myself dieing more than others. I geared my ENG towards DPS with duel pistols, grenade kit, Rockets, and healing turret. I think I was doing ok DPS wise, but I found myself down quicker than others.

How should I be gearing for Dungeons?

in Engineer

Posted by: Mad Trader.5921

Mad Trader.5921

Fractals can be done with a pure DPS build; condition, power, precision. However the down side is that you are much more squishy. Especially so at lvl 62 without exotic gear. If your not careful you will go down fast.

If you go DPS, you need to much more proactive when evading and getting rid of conditions. Try running with Elixir R or C, and/or use the Elixir gun with its #5 skill. I would personally get rid of Rockets.

Or you can respec as a more tanky engi build. You wont do as much damage, but you will do enough, plus you can provide support to the rest of your team with some heals, condition clearing, and resses.

Another tip: If your using healing turret, drop it and pick it up immediately. This will reduce the cooldown of the skill.

It also depends on your trait selection. If everything is in firearms or explosives, try putting some points in in inventions or alchemy

(edited by Mad Trader.5921)

in Engineer

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

most ppl are lvl 80 with minimum rare gear =.=

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

There are a few things. The most important is that your using your dodges properly and you are avoiding a lot of the boss / mob mechanics. Like AoE pools, burst moves, staying out of range of melee abilities.

A few dodge rolls make a huge different in survivability. As does having condition removal in your utilities or having someone in your group doing condition removal and knowing how to benefit from it.

Most of the time survivability is less about gear and more about movement / condition removal in Dungeons.

But if you still find yourself being to squishy. Carrion or Valkrye gear. The vit / power / condi or vit / power / crit damage gear work pretty well. You can mix a few pieces in to get your vit a bit higher to give yourself more of a window to get your next heal off or remove a few conditions.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

I actually find myself almost unkillable for the most part. I’m tougher than any guardian or warrior I’ve met so far.

Kit Refinement + Elixir Gun 5 stack, which for me with my 565 healing means I’m getting about 500+500 hp back per second. Combined with regeneration. So around 1190 HP/sec total healing while in the fields.

I wear an entire Apothecary set with Runes of Undead atm. 22k HP, 2695 armor, 1300 condition damage (With shield rune charged to 25)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dolemite.9823

Dolemite.9823

Thanks for all the help guys. I am a pretty Casual player(10 hours a week.) All this info will help a ton.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Personally I was thinking that the pow/tough/vit armor would prolly work best in here in a support role with the spec for it in traits to enhance your healing.

An engi with things like regen with kit, kits produce a spell etc usually lasts longer. you can combine the spell effect from equipping the EG kit and the #5 to combine thehealing of the two AOE fields. I find that most useful. I did this while fighting the fire champion in the mountain the other day and worked out great I was hit by his AOE but didn’t drop while in these fields because they instahealed me to half and kept the ticks to get up to 3/4.

Think they might have actually made healing viable again.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: LegoTechnic.5910

LegoTechnic.5910

For dungeons in general I find the two most important skills on my bar to be Elixir C and Elixir S. I usually fill the other slot with whichever kit I’m fond of at the time.

Elixir C will turn all your conditions into boons, and its kit use can be used to clear an additional debuff if you’re hit again while it’s on cooldown, though only one (and at random). Additionally Elixir S is three seconds of invulnerability, though it will not remove most conditions already on you when you use it. Even so, its use is amazing, and it has saved my butt a number of times while ressing allies as it can be used in mid-res animation without interrupting it (red circling his corpse are you? See what I care!). Elixirs are especially handy if you trait to make their cooldowns faster as well, which is a tier 1 trait.

You may also consider using a rifle or pistol/shield in dicier areas if you find yourself being threatened. Whereas the pistol’s claim to fame is the multiple condition damages it very easily applies (poison, confusion, etc), the rifle’s #2 and #4 can be used to effectively ruin a single target’s day, and the shield I find very useful against overly shooty enemies like the Dredge (especially as their shockwaves can be reflected with its #4).

In the end it’s going to amount to practice, and it’s true toughness/vitality will make you more durable, so if you really want to you can always gem your accessories for it to see how it goes. But otherwise try to play with your weapon and skill choices. Maybe take elixir kit in an area full of poison, or the bomb kit if you find yourself having to stand on a dredge switch or near a CoF brazier (big ol’ bomb is wonderous fun). Also remember that blast effects in fields can combo, meaning you do silly things like the flamethrower’s #5 while standing in a healing field to AoE heal your party for a little. Be creative, but most importantly be dodgy!