My Hammer skills Idea for engi's

in Engineer

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

Hi all,
My name is Sarah and I would like to share with you all my idea of the skills a hammer might give for a engineer. I’m not really interested in naming the skills so If anyone enjoys doing that, they may. I hope you enjoy and share my interest in the idea of engineers one day being able to wield hammers.

Skill one
part a & b would both be a basic auto attack
part c would do more damage and over charge a turret that you hit

Throw Junk – 5 seconds recharge
frustrated that your foe is kiting you, you throw junk at them.
you throw a slightly upgraded version of this “http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Throw_Junk

Skill Three – 15 seconds recharge
hit the ground with your hammer, knocking down foes next to you and sending out a wave around you crippling foes and auto-charge turrets hit

Skill four – 25 seconds recharge
With great precision you hit your target hard. You hit your foe for critical dmg. if you hit a turret it gets healed a medium amount and applies the following effects:

Healing turret: Water field, 4 seconds duration ( 8 seconds if overcharged )
Flamer turret: Fire field, 4 seconds duration ( 8 seconds if overcharged )
Mortar: you and the Mortar gain Stability, 10 seconds duration
Net turret: Drops a timed delay glue bomb at it’s next attack
( AOE centred on it’s self, larger AOE if its overcharged )
Rifle turret: For the next 4 seconds ( 8 if overcharged ) the rifle turrets attacks cause 1 second of cripple
Rocket turret: you and the Rocket turret gain protection, 4 seconds duration ( 8 seconds if overcharged )
Thumper turret: you and the thumper turret gain Stability, 4 seconds duration ( 8 seconds if overcharged )

Skill five – 40 seconds recharge
A big overhead leaping smash that does AOE dmg and knocks down foes. ( like the leap of the cliffside fractal boss ) If you land on top of a turret, The turret breaks (still counts as a blast finish) and you get the following effects:

Healing turret: apply 4 seconds of chill in a medium AOE ( 8 seconds if the turret was overcharged )
Flame turret: A slightly larger "throw Napalm " effect ( A huge “throw napalm” effect if the turret was overcharged )
Mortar: The mortar malfunctions and cant tell friend from foe, the mortar fires 4 times in a row “Launch Concussion Barrage” at its own location ( when the centre of its AOE on its self) destroying its self and anyone caught in its aoe. * the 4 Launch Concussion Barrage are one after another without recharge times. *
Net turret: Apply 2 seconds of stun in a medium AOE ( Larger AOE if the turret was overcharged )
Riffle turret: Bullets fly everywhere applying 3 stacks of bleed for 4 seconds ( 6 stacks if the turret is overcharged )
Rocket turret: The rocket turret malfunctions and cant tell friend from foe, the turret Launches a final rocket up into the air and lands its own location ( when the centre of its AOE on its self ) the turret is destroyed and everyone caught in the blast gets launched high into the air and has weakness applied to them for 4 seconds * this attack counts as a blast finisher as is different from the one you get for the turret breaking*
( the AOE of the final rocket is increased if the turret was overcharged)
Thumper turret: Launches all foes off the ground ( launches foes even higher if the turret is overcharged )

I know this is leaning a lot to turrets but you don’t have to use them with the hammer, you still get a cripple, a 100% crit attack and a leaping aoe knock down. Even using one turret would still give you some nice effects without moving away too much of what you were normally doing. Anyway I wanted to see what you guys think of it and hopefully Anet likes it too.

Sarah

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

Hmm i would go more with ele lighting hammer abilities
1:Skill chain
A1 Regular cleave
A2 Regular cleave
A3 AE 120 radius 1 stack of might 5 sec
2: Leap with Leap finisher 600 range 8 sec cd
3:Gravity smash 240 ae smash the ground immobilizing any enemies hit for 3 sec 15sec cd
4:Some kind of arc attack that pushes foes back 300 range 20 sec cd
5: Dive bomber 240 ae jump in midair (holding hammer in one hand boss style) and smash the ground enemies hit are launched into the air. Launch 400 600 range 35 sec cd
I could see a cd reduction in some traits if they allowed it and as for damage it should be a bit up there considering our low armor and some of the abilities might look a bit op in control but thats kinda what engineers are made for control

in Engineer

Posted by: Sarahfull.4930

Sarahfull.4930

I like your skill2 better than mine, and your other skills seem very style-ish which is awesome and its a great idea for the hammer not involving turrets :p

in Engineer

Frightlight.3796

Thanks i just think if engineers with hammers should have skills that keep you in control and easily close gaps with the enemy

in Engineer

Frightlight.3796

Here is a cool teaser for engineer and hammers

Attachments:

in Engineer

Frightlight.3796

And this one forgot

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Why would the engineer have hammers? We are alchemist, explosives experts, and inventors, not railroad workers, mountain barbarians, or farriers. To this day it baffles me how anyone could come to the conclusion that hammers fir with engineers thematically.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Frightlight.3796

Hammer would match better than the other weapons at the moment unless you wanted a mace, but then you would just be carrying pretty much toolkit. If we do get hammers you don’t have to use them at all you can stick with rifles and pistol, shield like you are right now. A lot of a people right now would like having hammers as options at least give us a chance in melee rather than trying to mix a ranged weapon with mostly melee abilities.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wishmaster.7693

Wishmaster.7693

I want double shields, E-EE-E-E-E-E-E Electric POWAH

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Why would the engineer have hammers? We are alchemist, explosives experts, and inventors, not railroad workers, mountain barbarians, or farriers. To this day it baffles me how anyone could come to the conclusion that hammers fir with engineers thematically.

Who built those massive Char tanks? Char engineers.. I would assume you’d need a big hammer, welder and wrench to get the job done. We already have the wrench…

Maybe they should change Mortar to CNC..

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Engineer

Posted by: LoreChief.8391

LoreChief.8391

Hi Sarahfull,

I’m glad to see others here who want to feature-craft for Engineers! It’s tiring shouldering the work.

That being said, I’ve never taken a swing (pun intended) at coming up with a hammer skillset for engi, even though I would very much love to have one. I have some critiques and suggestions though that you might be interested in.

Firstly, I would like to think that with the ideas you’ve posed, they might find some way to remove Tool Kit in its current form and replace it with something different – at least the first skill.

Skill 1: Overcharging is very powerful depending on the turret, so I would imagine it would need slightly less frequent applications. Otherwise people will spend their whole fight swinging at their turrets, reducing the overall effectiveness of it. Even worse – people might be tempted to lump all their turrets in one spot in order to overcharge them all. My alternative would be;

• Change the 1st and 2nd effects into heals for the turret, damage on enemies. This would make the weapon much nicer for turrets, AND remove the need to have it as a secondary effect on Tool Kit.
  • Change the 3rd effect into the following; Swing in a wide arch around your character (radius 240). For every enemy hit, reduce the cooldown on turret overcharge abilities by 6 seconds. this will give you a big reward/payoff for running into the enemy pit, but not so OP that using it in small combat will be an insta-win for you.
  • Name the 3rd hit; Optimize

Skill 2: Both you and Frightlight agree that this skill should be used for distancing yourself from the enemy if needed. I agree only in that it should have the versatility to both close the gap, or open it if needed. Here are my proposed changes;

• Skill cooldown 15 seconds
  • Range 1200
  • Normal damage to enemy.
  • Moved to Skill #3
  • Effect 1; if used on an enemy or turret greater than a distance of 900, pull the enemy/turret to you (cast-indicator shows a green arrow pointing at you)
  • Effect 2; if used on an enemy or turret closer than 900, you are pulled to the enemy/turret (cast-indicator shows a yellow arrow pointing at target)
  • Name the skill; Magnitude

Skill 3: Crowd control implemented in a very non-engineerish way. What do you think of…

• Skill moved to #2
  • Cooldown 10s
  • Radius 240
  • Mid-low damage to enemies.
  • New effect; Daze (1s) up to 5 enemies around you – and cripple them for 4s.
  • Name the skill; Beat Drop (HA! Sound Engineer!)

Skill 4: I like that you synergize this skill with benefits for using turrets. I think it would be best to keep specific effects such as the ones you stated for 4 and 5, a little bit simpler. Keeping with the same theme though…

• Cooldown 20 seconds
  • Radius 1200
  • New effect; Send out a pulse wave through the ground. All of your turrets within the area of effect receive a charge of Aegis (20s). You receive Protection for 4s.
  • Name the skill; Automated Defense System.

Skill 5: I have a completely different idea with what you can do on this skill. Try to keep in mind that I am implying less “hulk smash” and more “engin-uity” as the theme on these.

• Cooldown 30 seconds
  • Ground Target, 240 radius.
  • Range 900
  • Medium-high damage.
  • New effect; Throw your hammer like an overweight boomerang, to the target location. Enemies hit will be knocked down for 1s. However, if you hit a turret – you cause it to blow up (halving the cooldown on the turret) – launching nearby enemies at a range of 450.
  • Name the skill; Forced Restart

Thanks for reading!
-LoreChief

in Engineer

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

My only idea, which would be awesome.

Rocket boosted hammer

Spin your rocket enhanced hammer around, dealing X dmg to all enemies 6 hits in total. Whirl finisher

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

When I think of Engineer’s with hammers I think of Vulcan from the MOBA game, Smite. The combat in Smite is actually similar to Guild Wars 2 as it was based on MMO PvP combat, you have 3 primary attacks, an ultimate and utility skills based on items that you purchase. Vulcan is based on the Greek god of the same name and he carries a hammer and setups turrets as his main source of damage and C/C.

Attachments:

(edited by Ameno.6813)

in Engineer

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Who built those massive Char tanks? Char engineers.. I would assume you’d need a big hammer, welder and wrench to get the job done. We already have the wrench…

Maybe they should change Mortar to CNC..

So if the tank itself is large then therefore the tools to make it must be too? Last time I checked, normal tools are used no matter what size the project. Also hammers are usually used to secure nails in place, I don’t believe you would want to be putting a tank together with nails. This is all logically speaking of course.

Säïnt

(edited by SaintSnow.6593)

in Engineer

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Hi Sarahfull,

I’m glad to see others here who want to feature-craft for Engineers! It’s tiring shouldering the work.

That being said, I’ve never taken a swing (pun intended) at coming up with a hammer skillset for engi, even though I would very much love to have one. I have some critiques and suggestions though that you might be interested in.

Firstly, I would like to think that with the ideas you’ve posed, they might find some way to remove Tool Kit in its current form and replace it with something different – at least the first skill.

Skill 1: Overcharging is very powerful depending on the turret, so I would imagine it would need slightly less frequent applications. Otherwise people will spend their whole fight swinging at their turrets, reducing the overall effectiveness of it. Even worse – people might be tempted to lump all their turrets in one spot in order to overcharge them all. My alternative would be;

• Change the 1st and 2nd effects into heals for the turret, damage on enemies. This would make the weapon much nicer for turrets, AND remove the need to have it as a secondary effect on Tool Kit.
  • Change the 3rd effect into the following; Swing in a wide arch around your character (radius 240). For every enemy hit, reduce the cooldown on turret overcharge abilities by 6 seconds. this will give you a big reward/payoff for running into the enemy pit, but not so OP that using it in small combat will be an insta-win for you.
  • Name the 3rd hit; Optimize

Skill 2: Both you and Frightlight agree that this skill should be used for distancing yourself from the enemy if needed. I agree only in that it should have the versatility to both close the gap, or open it if needed. Here are my proposed changes;

• Skill cooldown 15 seconds
  • Range 1200
  • Normal damage to enemy.
  • Moved to Skill #3
  • Effect 1; if used on an enemy or turret greater than a distance of 900, pull the enemy/turret to you (cast-indicator shows a green arrow pointing at you)
  • Effect 2; if used on an enemy or turret closer than 900, you are pulled to the enemy/turret (cast-indicator shows a yellow arrow pointing at target)
  • Name the skill; Magnitude

Skill 3: Crowd control implemented in a very non-engineerish way. What do you think of…

• Skill moved to #2
  • Cooldown 10s
  • Radius 240
  • Mid-low damage to enemies.
  • New effect; Daze (1s) up to 5 enemies around you – and cripple them for 4s.
  • Name the skill; Beat Drop (HA! Sound Engineer!)

Skill 4: I like that you synergize this skill with benefits for using turrets. I think it would be best to keep specific effects such as the ones you stated for 4 and 5, a little bit simpler. Keeping with the same theme though…

• Cooldown 20 seconds
  • Radius 1200
  • New effect; Send out a pulse wave through the ground. All of your turrets within the area of effect receive a charge of Aegis (20s). You receive Protection for 4s.
  • Name the skill; Automated Defense System.

Skill 5: I have a completely different idea with what you can do on this skill. Try to keep in mind that I am implying less “hulk smash” and more “engin-uity” as the theme on these.

• Cooldown 30 seconds
  • Ground Target, 240 radius.
  • Range 900
  • Medium-high damage.
  • New effect; Throw your hammer like an overweight boomerang, to the target location. Enemies hit will be knocked down for 1s. However, if you hit a turret – you cause it to blow up (halving the cooldown on the turret) – launching nearby enemies at a range of 450.
  • Name the skill; Forced Restart

Thanks for reading!
-LoreChief

if they make this hammer setup, they improve turret without change turret traits

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

in Engineer

Posted by: JeffHardisty.1926

JeffHardisty.1926

My only idea, which would be awesome.

Rocket boosted hammer

Spin your rocket enhanced hammer around, dealing X dmg to all enemies 6 hits in total. Whirl finisher

We are on the same page my friend.

This is a idea I have had in my head for a while but never written down. I am not good at naming stuff, so rename them if you want.

Skill one
Basic hammer attacks, maybe have the 3rd one have a 20% chance for a burning for something.

Skill two: Rocket twirl
Spin around in cirlces with the power of rockets hitting targets close to you, and reflecting projectiles.

Skill three: Rocket smash
Smash the hammer into the ground with the power of rockets, launching (blowout?) foes.
Blast finisher

Skill four: Rocketeer
Propel forward with rockets attached to the hammer, stuning your target.

Skill five: Coolant release
Make a water field at your location, and heal a condition.

A little over powered, but it doesn’t matter since anet most likely has their own plans for the hammer already. Now picture those hammer skills with Rocket Boot, Utility Goggles, Tool Kit, and the defencive traits like Protection Injection, Stabilized Armor, etc and you have a rocket themed build for melee.

I am writing this in bed, so sorry for any errors in it.

TC [CERN]

in Engineer

Posted by: Toeofdoom.6152

Toeofdoom.6152

Some really cool ideas in this thread – the rocket twirl came to mind for me as well, awesome.
I have to say that something about chasing people down with a hammer is a little odd for an engineer. So here you could be using the hammer almost defensively, backing away against other melee classes. Additionally the hammer is traditionally a control weapon, but the engineer has plenty of hard CC already – so it goes for a bit of experimentation with conditions.

Chain: Frost strike
Decent power damage, 3rd strike chills for about 2s in a small AOE. (Remember the hammer 3rd strike is quite slow)

Skill 2: Laser hammer
Fires a blinding laser beam – 900 range, blinds. full cast or channel is ~2s.
It might be nice to have a really tiny cripple or knockback to make this feel weighty and hammerlike.
10s cooldown

Skill 3: Spring hammer
Smash the ground and jump a short distance back (~200) and hits in an AoE. Ideally all enemies bounce vertically too. Blast finisher.
A second ability springs forwards a fixed distance (800?) as a decent gap closer – but it’s not locked onto an enemy, so you won’t drop right on top of them without a good aim.

Skill 4: Counterweight
Block an attack and counter with a daze:
You can cancel the block early to hit and interrupt with less damage – this is unblockable.

Skill 5: Rocket twirl!
Knocks everyone in melee range back and sets them on fire. Whirl finisher. I totally came up with this independently.

EDIT: Revised spring hammer not to immobilize, control on every single ability is a bit too far. Each control effect is meant to be slightly weaker compared to those seen on other hammer classes but you get 4 instead of 3.

(edited by Toeofdoom.6152)

in Engineer

coglin.1867

When I think of Engineer’s with hammers I think of Vulcan from the MOBA game, Smite. The combat in Smite is actually similar to Guild Wars 2 as it was based on MMO PvP combat, you have 3 primary attacks, an ultimate and utility skills based on items that you purchase. Vulcan is based on the Greek god of the same name and he carries a hammer and setups turrets as his main source of damage and C/C.

I have played Smite. I do not see how anyone would consider the combat similar.

in Engineer

Ameno.6813

I have played Smite. I do not see how anyone would consider the combat similar.

You must not have played for very long then, as somebody with well over 500 hours clocked in for both games I can tell you that they’re definitely similar. Lots of skills in Smite are largely skill-shot based, similar to Guild Wars 2. Smite has character progression, meta game, various attack styles (AOE, single-target, cleave, cone, etc.), stun-breaks/cleanse, conditions, buffs, mainhand and utility slots, elites. The only difference I can think of is Smite is more holy-trinity based, doesn’t have dodge roles, and you can’t swap out your main weapon. Anyways we’re kind of derailing the topic of discussion a bit, but while they’re not exactly the same game you have to admit there’s a lot of similarities.

in Engineer

coglin.1867

character progression, meta game, various attack styles (AOE, single-target, cleave, cone, etc.), stun-breaks/cleanse, conditions, buffs, mainhand and utility slots, elites.

You just described most action games and a large portion of the more recent MMO’s.

This actually goes toward my point here. there is nothing that makes Smite anymore similar to GW2 then other games, yet because you want it to be, you justify it in your own mind, and expect others to do the same, similarly to how many claim the hammer is themed for the engineer, when it is not.

(edited by coglin.1867)

in Engineer

Ameno.6813

character progression, meta game, various attack styles (AOE, single-target, cleave, cone, etc.), stun-breaks/cleanse, conditions, buffs, mainhand and utility slots, elites.

You just described most action games and a large portion of the more recent MMO’s.

This actually goes toward my point here. there is nothing that makes Smite anymore similar to GW2 then other games, yet because you want it to be, you justify it in your own mind, and expect others to do the same, similarly to how many claim the hammer is themed for the engineer, when it is not.

I’m really confused as to whether or not you agree that they’re similar or you disagree. Anyways I think you missed the point big time. The only point I was trying to make was that the idea of Engineers in Guild Wars 2 using Hammers reminds me of something I saw in some other game. I didn’t even suggest it should be done necessarily so calm your kittens.

in Engineer

Frightlight.3796

Well like it or not but engineers will have hammers before any other weapon now I wont say how I know because I don’t want to get in trouble or the person who told me to get caught. Anyway hammers are first so deal with it.

in Engineer

coglin.1867

I’m really confused as to whether or not you agree that they’re similar or you disagree.

Memory issues? I am pretty sure I answered this fairlt specifically and directly 3 post ago.

Anyways I think you missed the point big time. The only point I was trying to make was that the idea of Engineers in Guild Wars 2 using Hammers reminds me of something I saw in some other game. I didn’t even suggest it should be done necessarily so calm your kittens.

That may have been the point you meant to make. What you actually did was compare it to a very specific game. I very specifically stated that I do not feel they are similar at all.

I appreciate your concerns, but I assure you my kittens are quit calm. Honestly, there was no need for such a childish attempt at a backhanded insult, simply because I disagree with you.

Well like it or not but engineers will have hammers before any other weapon now I wont say how I know because I don’t want to get in trouble or the person who told me to get caught. Anyway hammers are first so deal with it.

Umm right………..Snowden post it on wikileaks? Otherwise we will chalk this up to blown smoke.

(edited by coglin.1867)

in Engineer

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Here is a cool teaser for engineer and hammers

if this is legit, which i’m really not sure it is, i’m glad i saved my entropy. i would definitely switch out rifle for hammer. hammer+toolkit=lulz.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.