It had to be done. I’m so very sorry.

Bovan Ironwrench – Bovan Sundermist
Immortal Kingdom [KING]

(edited by Bovan.9481)

My feelings towards Holosmith after the demo

in Engineer

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Its true! It is so face-rolly and spammy and easy to play. I had immense fun playing it, and will definitely pick it as my first PoF elite spec. I wanted Deadeye to be great and take that, being a Thief main, but Holosmith is just way more powerful.

It will probably be nerfed damage-wise, and justly so, but I’m going to have fun with it before it is!

Edit for clarification: WvW

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

(edited by Turk.5460)

in Engineer

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

I see a lot of people saying Holosmith damage needs to be reduced, but I’m not so sure that’s true. It’s a high risk / high reward specialization, and it doesn’t offer all that much other than high damage. In other words if you reduce damage on Holosmith, what are you left with?

in Engineer

Posted by: Okhu.7948

Okhu.7948

Holosmith Damage is fine. Its high rish and high reward. Everyone saying “the damage is too high” has no idea what they’re talking about.

in Engineer

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Holosmith Damage is fine. Its high rish and high reward. Everyone saying “the damage is too high” has no idea what they’re talking about.

I feel it is because they are not use to Selfish DPS Job/Class. The High risk but High reward nature is what makes a Selfish DPS Job/Class stands out.

Selfish DPS Job/Class is well known in RPGs and MMOs for very high DPS to compensate for the lack of Utility and Support provided which is what Holosmith is designed to be as we see in Holosmith’s Trait tree and Skills.

The High DPS itself can be considered a Utility itself because it can kill enemies faster than any other Job/Class thus reducing the amount of time a Support/Utility based Class/Job needs to keep up their utility/support.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

The damage isn’t too high, but its cooldowns are way too low. Holo Leap needs to be a 4 or 5 second cooldown at least. Having a 2 second cooldown on such a high damage skill is simply absurd.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

The damage isn’t too high, but its cooldowns are way too low. Holo Leap needs to be a 4 or 5 second cooldown at least. Having a 2 second cooldown on such a high damage skill is simply absurd.

I’d prefer to leave Holo Leap alone. But if it must be changed, another option might be to leave the cooldown alone, but increase its heat generation.

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

I see a lot of people saying Holosmith damage needs to be reduced, but I’m not so sure that’s true. It’s a high risk / high reward specialization, and it doesn’t offer all that much other than high damage. In other words if you reduce damage on Holosmith, what are you left with?

needs a bit of a nerf on the auto and a look at the cooldowns thats about it

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

Hammer aa chain give you 5 mights and to opponent 5 vuln. What will give us PF aa? Only dmg. Tweaking heat generation by spells can be way how to balancing holo.

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

holo leap definetly needs a 50% damage nerf

in Engineer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

If they nerf Holo Leap I’d rather they nerf the damage or increase the heat generation. If they increase the cooldown, then I have to go back to taking Tools for permanent swiftness, and I won’t be able to run around with perm-quickness.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Ghos.1326

Ghos.1326

Engi has no damaging options besides holosmith. so why nerf it and bring it in line with all of the other useless things it has? so far, during heart of thorns, it was only good for living. that’s pretty much it. oh, and ressing. so why not give it a viable damage option, which is holosmith? too many haters.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I really don’t like “Pure DPS” classes. But. Since engie is in a place were ANYTHING seems to be better, I will not complain about Holosmith. With some luck I can make it work with rifle and FT. Maybe.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Engineer

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

http://imgur.com/a/FVlIf

It had to be done. I’m so very sorry.

I see what you did there.

Left you feeling a little hot under the collar did it?

in Engineer

Posted by: Warrior Xsr.1672

Warrior Xsr.1672

They shouldn’t nerf it. . It’s the reason they gave the Holosmith/Engineer some well needed attention. It needed balance with all other professions. But if it does get nerfed. It will be for one reason, and one reason only. If Engie stays strong or at least equal. The complaining and whining will come from all non-engineer players. Which is the majority of gw2. So when they get their butts whipped. (again!) All the WvW and PvP babies will all cry and whine. Saying that it’s too “OP”. And don’t want to have to learn or make a new character. And instead of Anet possibly doing the right thing…… they will do the popular thing. They will make sure it become weaker than all other professions. And leave it at the bottom of the barrel. To please the masses. Please! For the love of God……prove me wrong Anet! Make Engies Great Again! Lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

In other words if you reduce damage on Holosmith, what are you left with?

Hollowsmith.

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

It’ll probably make a good and fun PvE spec, get nerfed because of low skill sPvP, and in WvW it’s already bad due to having to get really close to anything but lacking the substain/mobility/escape to do so.

All you can do is hope that the inevitable PvP motivated nerf doesn’t ruin it for PvE or make it even worse for WvW.

in Engineer

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

Funny story. Everyone is afraid about holosnith dmg nerfing. But this is not scrapper who have def+offense skill in one slot, or heavy sustain, gyro for dmg reduce, gyro for escape,gyro for condi clean. I think that holosmith get a little nerf in pvp on PF aa. But they should buff some exceed TB skills.

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "

in Engineer

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

The cooldown is fine (need a way to keep up with people), the damage might need to be tweaked lower though.

The trouble is though… if you nerf holosmith’s damage, what else does it have? It’s a purely DPS spec, with very little in the way of support.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

(edited by Vagrant.7206)

in Engineer

Posted by: Pip Squeak.3418

Pip Squeak.3418

If heat management wasn’t so difficult (in the sense of maximizing time over 100% for optimum DPS) I would agree that either damage or cooldowns could be tuned to make the class less powerful. But it is that difficult, so the damage and cooldowns are fine.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I always find it funny people say high risk on Holosmith, but there’s literally no risk if you play it smart.

You don’t need to camp in Heat mode 24/7. The CD is merely 6 secs and there’s no bar you need to fill up before entering your burst mode, unlike Druid/ Berserker/ Necro.

You can still grab every defensive traitline with cleanse, like alchemy.
You can still grab any utilities / heal/ elite that’d boost your survivablity if need be.
Just because it’s not as tanky as Scrapper doesn’t mean it is high risk class.

You have free “berserk mode” that doesn’t require adrenaline to go in prior, meaning you can do your burst whenever you want, and you have a high damage leap, stability, high damage range attack, and high damage aoe cc all on short cool down.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I really don’t like “Pure DPS” classes. But. Since engie is in a place were ANYTHING seems to be better, I will not complain about Holosmith. With some luck I can make it work with rifle and FT. Maybe.

You never tried permanent quickness , 25 might, stability, fury scrapper before didn’t you? (You don’t need to use hammer too btw).
All it takes is 80% boon duration uptime which is super easy to achieve.
It has all the useful boons you ever need with huge amount of cleanse and some anti-burst measure.

Saying engi is in a bad position atm is just ridiculous.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

Saying engi is in a bad position atm is just ridiculous.

Quoting fringe cases is a strange way to make your argument. Builds like the one you describe require the entire build dedicated to making that happen, and in the end, they are only useful for specific fringe cases. I assume you’re talking about the drunk engineer, which is more of a gimmicky build than anything else.

Many of our weapons and utility skills are extremely lackluster. Our traits are often designed for a meta that doesn’t exist, and many of them are buggy. Hell, a lot of our skills are buggy too.

Sure, every class is more than the sum of its parts, but the fact is that because so many of our parts are busted, we are pigeonholed into only a few builds with very little variation. Scrapper variation often boiled down to “Do I take Purge Gyro or something else?” and that was it.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.