My honest 1st impression on Scrapper

in Engineer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

Gyros with hitpoints of about 10-15K (you can see it in the Video) will melt in WvW raiding and GvG, as i expected they are useless compared to kits. Hammer is ok.

Welcome to WvW Mesmer. Except that Engineer DPS isn’t balanced around having three gyros out at all times, like Mesmer DPS is.

Oh, and at least the Gyros will strip enemy Stability when they die in the middle of a zerg.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Engineer

Posted by: codesherwin.9346

codesherwin.9346

Perfectly Weighted - Unnecessary icd. Sould also reduce hammer recharges.

+1 on this needing to reduce hammer recharge. Removing the ICD doesn’t make this trait too OP either IMO. It’s not like Engineers have three dodges.

As is, I think it’s probably going to lose out to Adaptive Armor more times than not. With at least the cooldown reduction added, I would consider this over AA.

Surprise! A dodge trait with a cooldown!

I’m going to keep saying it until they change it. Dodge traits should never have a cooldown. If you want to blow your endurance to use dodge effects instead of avoiding damage you should be able to make that choice.

EDIT: On further review I see this works on any evade not just dodges. Engi only has the one skill that applies evade, but I can still see how this would quickly become out of control (Dodging Rapid Fire for example). I thought it was on the use of a dodge, not on evade. This should definitely have an ICD.

So technically this is not a “dodge” trait but an “evade” trait. Big difference to me, but I still maintain all “dodge” traits should not have a cooldown!

The trait states: “Evading an attack grants stability.”

Presumably this means that this trait only works while you are in combat and you successfully evade an attack. I take that to mean that you can’t just spam dodges/evades to stack up a bunch of stability. If that’s the case, I don’t think the ICD is necessary.

in Engineer

Posted by: codesherwin.9346

codesherwin.9346

Best way how to start fixing gyros is invulnerability. Ofc they still should be interruptable.

+1 make gyros immune to damage and vulnerable to cc.

That would be simply too much and leaving enemies without counterplay. But different resistances would be great, for example:

• bulwark uncrittable
  • cleansing gyro immune to conditions
  • whirl gyro to have perma stability
  • heal gyro to regen himself too
  • only the explosive damage gyro should be vulnerable to attacks, yet it needs different buffs, mainly CD lowered to 20 sec after spawn.

This is a great place to start making the gyros more desirable. I think the CDs will end up needing to be tweaked as well. And please, please ArenaNet, consider making enemy NCPs not aggro gyros unless the player or gyro has already engaged the enemy. I think this will be crucial to making gyros useable in dungeons and fractals.

This elite spec is not in as bad a state as some on this forum are making it seem. The hammer looks great and the traits are pretty good with a little room for improvement. Slick Shoes + Rapid Regeneration is a good example of powerful synergy added by Scrapper. FT + Juggernaut + Mass Momentum is another.

I think we’ll be seeing some amazingly tanky builds utilizing the synergies that The Scrapper spec is bringing.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Best way how to start fixing gyros is invulnerability. Ofc they still should be interruptable.

+1 make gyros immune to damage and vulnerable to cc.

That would be simply too much and leaving enemies without counterplay. But different resistances would be great, for example:

• bulwark uncrittable
  • cleansing gyro immune to conditions
  • whirl gyro to have perma stability
  • heal gyro to regen himself too
  • only the explosive damage gyro should be vulnerable to attacks, yet it needs different buffs, mainly CD lowered to 20 sec after spawn.

Give gyros Endure Pain.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

Presumably this means that this trait only works while you are in combat and you successfully evade an attack. I take that to mean that you can’t just spam dodges/evades to stack up a bunch of stability. If that’s the case, I don’t think the ICD is necessary.

Imagine dodge rolling while a Warrior is trying to Hundred Blades you, a Thief is Unloading, and a Ranger is using Rapid Fire and coming out of it with 50 stacks of Stability. That’s why the trait has an ICD.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Imagine dodge rolling while a Warrior is trying to Hundred Blades you, a Thief is Unloading, and a Ranger is using Rapid Fire and coming out of it with 50 stacks of Stability. That’s why the trait has an ICD.

It doesnt matter how many stacks you can get at once because Stability have usualy really short duration.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

I am concerned about the Hammer’s damage multiplier. The tooltip showed 364 damage. Granted we dont know what he was wearing stats wise, but it is a concern.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

apparently he was using rabid gear, the 2nd dude marauder

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Jayze.9756

Jayze.9756

when I watched the live stream I constantly found myself saying why take the med gyro when healing turret is better why take take the bulwark gyro when I can take toolkit why take the stealth gyro at all when supply crate and mortar kit offer so much more. its like turret 2.0 was hoping for so much from this elite spec and the only decents thing is the hammer and a few traits like ele thing the engi got handed a bad hand

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

when I watched the live stream I constantly found myself saying why take the med gyro when healing turret is better why take take the bulwark gyro when I can take toolkit why take the stealth gyro at all when supply crate and mortar kit offer so much more. its like turret 2.0 was hoping for so much from this elite spec and the only decents thing is the hammer and a few traits like ele thing the engi got handed a bad hand

Not even CLOSE to the Ele.

And actually, we have a better starting position than every Elite Spec except for Chronomancer.

And you complaint just outlines how ridiculously good healing turret is and how inherently versatile the IDEA of kits are (the implementation is even better)

Even if all Gyros were invulnerable for the entirety of their duration, kits would still be better and Healing Turret would still dominate.

(edited by lorddarkflare.9186)

in Engineer

Posted by: Jayze.9756

Jayze.9756

ele is already in a far better position than most classes specially with the celestial build which to be honest makes even players that are just learning look more skilled than they are. And yes I do think both engi and ele got handed a maybe not to the same level but im not the only engi player that thinks this like your aren’t the only person to have your opinion. Like I have already said the hammer and the traits are good imo cause not only does it give new builds but a new way to strength old builds like the flametrower’s build. I just don’t think the gyro’s cut it as most of the best functionality comes from there toolbelt abilities from what we have been shown.

(edited by Jayze.9756)

in Engineer

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

It should have been turrets 2.0 it should have been the build that lets you play a turret stile in wvw, but the giros other than the one that constantly does a whirl finisher are rather dissapointing

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in Engineer

Posted by: kevvy.5081

kevvy.5081

Even if all Gyros were invulnerable for the entirety of their duration, kits would still be better and Healing Turret would still dominate.

Sad truth. I would use Gyros if they were invulnerable and yet kits would still be the ideal choice to have. They need to do some seriously tinkering with Gyros to really make it viable in what little use it has.

in Engineer

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

And actually, we have a better starting position than every Elite Spec except for Chronomancer.

The starting positions does not matter at all, the current one does. Every spec have one more beta weekend to get good.

No 1 solution will solve all the problems, let us take one problem at a time and for gyros they need to be working by them self before we even consider taking them over kits. For now, let us focus on making them survive, then we can look at how they will compeat against core skills

in Engineer

Posted by: Yid.3024

Yid.3024

I’m underwhelmed by gyros. It feels like a cool idea haphazardly done and pushed into somewhere it doesn’t belong. A wasted potential.

Thematically, a Scrapper as they described doesn’t seem to have much to do with using clean and futuristic flying drones. It sounds more like something a mastermind or an inventor with a lab coat type character would use. I think hammer fits the depiction of a rough improviser, a melee weapon that can be used for multiple purposes(whirl and reflect, evade and leap, attack and block…). But gyros, not sure how it fits in with the rest of the spec.

Mechanically, I don’t get why they come bundled with a hammer. I know I don’t have to use both(or either), but it would be nice to see some connection or synergy, a common thread in the playstyle or something. (Reaper’s a melee spec, so shouts. Berserk needs adrenaline, so rage skills, things like that.) Right now Scrapper’s package seems kinda randomly put together.

Even if I look at gyros by themselves, they seem rather bland and not very exciting, again, wasting the cool theme. Some of them might as well be gadgets or stationary turrets. The only interesting thing I see is the stealth gyro. (The idea of a stealth skill that gives your enemy some information, but not all, is very cool, and I hope to see more like it.)

This honestly just feels like two people came up with their own separate ideas and then just mashed those two ideas together and went “we now have enough stuff to fill one spec.”.

Since they plan to add more elite specs and you can only pick one, I want unique, tightly constructed, and clearly defined packages that support new playstyles. Right now this feels like a bundle of random shinies sorted by date added. Now I worry if we will ever see ‘what could have been’ of drones, since they are already checked off the list of ideas.

Of course I haven’t played it yet, so I’m ready to eat my wall of text if proven otherwise.

tl;dr – Gyros feel like a wasted potential and don’t seem to fit in with the rest of the spec, both thematically and mechanically.
-Hammer and Stealth gyro looks cool.

in Engineer

Posted by: Klmor.1250

Klmor.1250

Sad truth. I would use Gyros if they were invulnerable and yet kits would still be the ideal choice to have. They need to do some seriously tinkering with Gyros to really make it viable in what little use it has.

Yeah thats what i think exactly.

Medic gyro is way too bad, i mean it could be worst healing skill in the game so far..Toolbelt is fine, but no one will get this skill for that toolbelt.So in general medic gyro has to be tweaked a lot.

Blast Gyro looks fine but its dodge-able easly even you give superspeed to gyro.Either they should boost the damage or knockback/stun duration.Toolbelt is fine.

Bulwark Gyro; think its best gyro/toolbelt so far.But if i didn’t count it wrong, it has like 14k hp so it will melt quickly in any situation.Toolbelt is fine.

Purge Gyro; and again it looks cool like Blast Gyro but whoever see this guy they will kill it immeidatly.(In pvp/wvw) And again it will melt in dungeons/raids/open world quickly in all aoe damage skills.Toolbelt is not that usefull tho.Actually i can say its pretty bad.

Shredder Gyro; this one has to be remade completely imo.It just stands there and spin .. Okay it sounds good ooow you can use a burning field and burn everyone arround wohoo nope no one will get that damage, people will just kill it or run away.Just it can be usefull with some water field but again it doesn’t make it viable.And gyro’s damage is bad too.Toolbelt is fine.

And lastly Sneak Gyro; hope that Gyro won’t pull mobs arround it in pve, otherwise it will be pretty useless.Yeah you can just pop it up, get 4s stealth and destroy it but while you can stealth better with bomb kit and blasts, why would you use that skill.For pvp and wvw its fine, glad there is a counter for stealth even its a bad thing for us.Toolbelt is fine.

So overall i didn’t really like Gyros, they will die quickly and don’t forget its AI so they won’t be doing everything you want to Its like whole the elite specilization is countering itself, okay cool you have a melee weapon which has some good skills (Not talking about damage) but we have AI drones arround us.We have a trait which make us give aoe super speed when we blast or leap a lightning field.Guess what, we don’t have any blast at all in Scrapper skill set ! We have gyros which have limited time (fuel) but they are vulnerable to damage ! Even they were invulnerable to damage, they wouldn’t have a chance in our skill set except few of them.

Hope they will tweak gyros before/after BWE3.(And hammer skills if necessary) And i have faith because check Reaper’s first announcement and now, they buffed it up and tweaked some skills so nicely.Hope they will do the same thing for Scrapper.