My opinion on dev focus and Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

When you make a game. a certain order is required. It’s worth remembering that every aspect is equally important because all of them are important in someones eyes, and I really hope you agree when I say we’re all equally important. A good example would be the Engineer – It’s the class you developed last, and, in most peoples opinion, the class that you have spent the least time trying to perfect. It makes perfect sense to put more class focus on Engineer than the other classes because that’s the one that needs most work – That’s not what’s happening though. Instead you focus on classes much closer to being 100% functional while also ignoring a lot of bugs for the sake of catering to the most represented classes – That’s the impression I get anyways. It all smells of a blatant moneygrab, and while I understand that you need money, trying to promote the item shop will not make the game BETTER. A game that is steadily improving attracts more customers and results in more income.

You see, people actually look at your performance and development as a whole, and if you start slighting parts of it instead of trying to divide your efforts according to where there is more need to do so, you lose favor in the eyes of the consumers. I’m going to assume you’re smart enough, ArenaNet, to understand that a gleaming gem of a game is the product of working together with the customers, we paid and we still pay your bills – Remember that. But that gem is full of nicks and cuts in the edges, and we could chisel all those out together – Start looking into bugs when we tell you we find them, let us test your products, I.E patches before you release them, simply put, include US into the process. It’s worth remembering that taking a brisk step forward is pointless if you don’t have the footing to avoid falling over when you set your foot down. Sure, your step was impressive and brave, but you still fell over and people don’t want to see that.

Bear in mind that these opinions are wholly objective and intended to give helpful feedback.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Wholly objective? More like wholly subjective

“It all smells of a blatant moneygrab, and while I understand that you need money, trying to promote the item shop will not make the game BETTER”

You lost me there. So you’re telling me that you want a game to be 100% free of bugs before they start promoting items that generate revenue for them.

How exactly is that going to work?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

“It all smells of a blatant moneygrab, and while I understand that you need money, trying to promote the item shop will not make the game BETTER”

You lost me there. So you’re telling me that you want a game to be 100% free of bugs before they start promoting items that generate revenue for them.

Simple. They won’t have the money for proper development if they don’t try to go for increasing profit in the long run. A game that is smooth and where bugs are being stomped out shows they care about the little details as well, and that’s something people very much appriciate. Ignoring them and instead trying to cashcow the item shop will maybe make them some money in the SHORT term, but it won’t be long until people catch on and players start dropping out – Like they seem to be doing already.

Also, I think you should look up the word “objective” since I don’t think it means what you think it means. But I’ll say it, it means from my point of view.

PS: If they indeed are fixing bugs in the shadows while also promoting item shop then whoppety freaking do, it would just be nice if they accounced it as much as they accounce their “come buy this and that for 20% off for 3 days”.

(edited by Oxstar.7643)

in Engineer

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Simple. They won’t have the money for proper development if they don’t try to go for increasing profit in the long run. A game that is smooth and where bugs are being stomped out shows they care about the little details as well, and that’s something people very much appriciate. Ignoring them and instead trying to cashcow the item shop will maybe make them some money in the SHORT term, but it won’t be long until people catch on and players start dropping out – Like they seem to be doing already.

Also, I think you should look up the word “objective” since I don’t think it means what you think it means. But I’ll say it, it means from my point of view.

PS: If they indeed are fixing bugs in the shadows while also promoting item shop then whoppety freaking do, it would just be noce if they accounced it as much as they accounce their “come buy this and that for 20% off for 3 days”.

You must be new to games and mmos because there is NO game out there with all bugs stomped out. MMOs are the most complicated gaming genre out there. There will always be bugs simply due to time and effficiency constraints.

Reasonable, veteran gamers understand this. As long as there are no gamebreaking bugs that prevent you from starting and playing the game, it’s fine.

You are also completing ignoring that there are different departments that handle different things. They have the QA team, the dev team, the team responsible for handling art, economy, customer service, gem shop.

And no, you are not objective, you just like to think what you are saying is true when instead it’s all subjective.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Engineer

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

PS: If they indeed are fixing bugs in the shadows while also promoting item shop then whoppety freaking do, it would just be nice if they accounced it as much as they accounce their “come buy this and that for 20% off for 3 days”.

I don’t get what you want. You want them to make big advertisements saying “Come buy the game as now we have fixed all the bugs!”

in Engineer

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Computer software rule: There will ALWAYS be bugs.

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

PS: If they indeed are fixing bugs in the shadows while also promoting item shop then whoppety freaking do, it would just be noce if they accounced it as much as they accounce their “come buy this and that for 20% off for 3 days”.

You must be new to games and mmos because there is NO game out there with all bugs stomped out. MMOs are the most complicated gaming genre out there. There will always be bugs simply due to time and effficiency constraints.

Reasonable, veteran gamers understand this. As long as there are no gamebreaking bugs that prevent you from starting and playing the game, it’s fine.

You are also completing ignoring that there are different departments that handle different things. They have the QA team, the dev team, the team responsible for handling art, economy, customer service, gem shop.

And no, you are not objective, you just like to think what you are saying is true when instead it’s all subjective.

Of course, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to fix as many as you can.

That’s not the case however, there’s bugs preventing some skills from working as intended. And when I say intended I base it on the tooltip descriptions.

So just because I don’t mention it means I don’t acknowledge it? What a weird reality you live in. Item shops does nothing to improve the game itself, and that should always come first, which is the entierty of my point.

It’s true to ME, duh. I’ve never said I’m right and everyonr who disagree are wrong, don’t be so dense.

Now that we got you out of the way, make room for the sort of feedback that leads somewhere positive thank you.

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

I don’t get what you want. You want them to make big advertisements saying “Come buy the game as now we have fixed all the bugs!”

They don’t need to advertise themselves if they have good development.
Also I meant to say “announced” but typo’d.

(edited by Oxstar.7643)

in Engineer

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Objective: not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

Subjective: placing excessive emphasis on one’s own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

More on topic: +1 for working on class balance and engineers. However, that is an ever ongoing task. They will never achieve 100% balance. I am sure that they work hard on all classes and do not only focus on one or two classes. If they do focus more on one or two classes, I would assume it is influenced by
1. number of players playing that class; and
2. amount of imbalance inherent in the class

I do NOT think that they should stop working on increasing the value of the gem shop. Revenue is how they fund their business. I believe they should increase the number and value of items in the gem shop. There is very little in there that I have a desire to purchase. I bought 1 game character slot with real money, and that is it. If they had some awesome (and sexy!) armor skins, I may purchase them too.

This is a subjective post.

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

Also to the mod who moved this thread, Engineer was just an EXAMPLE, not the main topic of the thread – It really has no business being in the Engineer board – And changing my thread title was uncalled for as well. What’s wrong with you man?

in Engineer

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

All excellent points, though I wanted to offer some comments:

catering to the most represented classes… smells of a blatant moneygrab

I guess it could be seen as a “moneygrab” to cave in to the will of the majority, but it’s also democratic. Is it so terrible to identify what areas of the game are being used the most, and working to improve those first? If you don’t have the resources to please everyone right away, doesn’t it make sense to please the most people you can?

while I understand that you need money, trying to promote the item shop will not make the game BETTER. A game that is steadily improving attracts more customers and results in more income.

True, though a Gem Store that isn’t constantly in tip-top shape and always attracting new purchases means no game, period. Of course, I would hate to feel that Gem Store developments were diverting an inordinate amount of resources away from actual game improvements — but, so far, I haven’t gotten this impression. I never felt like the Gem Store was being forced upon me, or was necessary to advance or have a good time.

a gleaming gem of a game is the product of working together with the customers… But that gem is full of nicks and cuts in the edges, and we could chisel all those out together

Customer feedback is important, and ultimately we are the determining factor of the game’s financial success — but in this analogy, we are merely customers who are purchasing a finished product, not skilled gem cutters. Just because we have an opinion on what we want the shape of the gem to be, it doesn’t mean we have any expertise on how to make it happen.
ArenaNet wants their game to be as perfect as possible, just like we do — but there are always limited resources, things going on behind the scenes, and stuff in the pipeline that will get messed up if they adapt certain features too hastily without planning ahead.

Start looking into bugs when we tell you we find them, let us test your products, I.E patches before you release them, simply put, include US into the process.

I agree, it would be nice to see swifter action on bugs, and an actual Public Test Server for new patches before new content goes live. I don’t think ArenaNet are so ignorant that they aren’t aware of bugs, though — nor so dumb that they haven’t thought of a test server. They probably have their reasons for inaction in a lot of cases, and those reasons are probably very complicated, or bound in red tape. Every ArenaNet employee probably comes in to work each day with way more work than they can complete in a day’s time, and that’s before they get a chance to check out the forums to see what new complaints we have for them.

Not trying to be the “white knight” here — just saying, they’re just people with a lot of work to do. They’re doing it, eventually. How much resources they have, what they can reasonably afford to do with their time, and their level of freedom to simply throw more money at the game’s problems, are all complete unknowns to us, though.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Also to the mod who moved this thread, Engineer was just an EXAMPLE, not the main topic of the thread – It really has no business being in the Engineer board – And changing my thread title was uncalled for as well. What’s wrong with you man?

I think you steered too off track from your original argument. Thus the name change and movement were necessary.

Without the original title, your core argument would not have been apparent in your post.

in Engineer

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

I think you should look up the word “objective” since I don’t think it means what you think it means. But I’ll say it, it means from my point of view.

No, “objective” means the exact opposite from what you think, smart-kitten.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

I think you should look up the word “objective” since I don’t think it means what you think it means. But I’ll say it, it means from my point of view.

No, “objective” means the exact opposite from what you think, smart-kitten.

Fine. Do you see me being rude to YOU about this?

Leave please.

in Engineer

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

A bit of trauma helps to remember don’t sweat it.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

in Engineer

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

If this thread same person who starte the “Class ain’t bad, you’re just lazy?”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Class-ain-t-bad-you-re-just-lazy/

Are you bi-polar or something? In that thread you claim Eng is best class out there and in this one saying we are most broken. I am so confused.

(edited by Moddo.7105)

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

-You want them to fix bugs. Every patch fixes bugs.
-In the same news feeds that promote the money shop, they also post content they’re adding and changes to the gameplay they’re making. Pages 1 and 2 of ‘News’ have a good bit of store promotion, but also game info. Pages 3 and 4 are pretty much entirely gameplay information.
-You want them to work with the players — is that not the reason we know what the acronym SoTG means? Also, you want them to work with the players, but at the same time accuse them of catering the classes represented most by those very players. You want them to give attention to Engineers — did we not get some attention in the last patch? Did they not fix some bugs with our class like stats on kits?

Outside of a test server it seems to me Arena Net is doing pretty much everything you want from them.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

in Engineer

Oxstar.7643

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Class-ain-t-bad-you-re-just-lazy/

Are you bi-polar or something? In that thread you claim Eng is best class out there and in this one saying we are most broken. I am so confused.

I never ssaid Engineer is the best class, PROJECT MUCH? I merly said they can compare.
And yes, Engineer have a lot of bugs with their skills. Would they be OP if I could snap my fingers and fix all of them? That’s like my right hand on a sunday evening, beats the hell out of me! I guess it’s a balancing act like everything else, and I wouldn’t claim to know how to balance it out, which I don’t either by simply pointing out that there is more work to do here.

in Engineer

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

Ha I thought the same thing! However he does have some good points even though his last post left me a bit confused.

Games will always have bugs, but ANET does have serious development issues. They want people to buy their gems for items, yet the TP is a cluster-kitten to navigate. We should be able to sort by stats and armor type by now. Also actually having items people want on the trading post would be nice. For example having an item that can unsoulbind an item to make it account bound would put more money in ANETs pockets than people going out and spending that built up karma on weapons or farming for hours to get new ones.

ANET needs to get some Supply-Side Economists on the team because they don’t have a clue post-release.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Computer software rule: There will ALWAYS be bugs.

The thread should have been done here.

in Engineer

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I guess im the only person here that played SWTOR at launch. I am perfectly satisfied with GW2 and their bug fixing.

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I guess im the only person here that played SWTOR at launch. I am perfectly satisfied with GW2 and their bug fixing.

Nope, I was there too. Wow that was….

In comparison, GW2 has got it going on. They stomped out the majority of the huge game-breaking bugs very early on. What’s left are generally minor bugs or class balancing/player wants, the latter of which will never be 100% perfect since you can’t please everyone.

Everyone knows Engineer was the last class that was developed and that it was initially going to be a 3rd heavy armor class but was changed late in the game. As such, there are things that need to be addressed with the class but it’s certainly not broken. Just fine tuning. But I feel that it’s one of the most complex classes to balance, due to its ability to do just about everything (and in a different way than everyone else).

PS OP – don’t get mad when you emphatically use a word wrong, someone points it out, you get snippy and defensive, and then someone else corrects you too. You were wrong. Be a man, admit it, move on.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)