NOW can Turrets be passable defense tools?

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Since the start of the game, all Turrets have been less of turrets and more of single-use gadgets that you slap down for the Overcharge and/or detonation, not something you set up to help you hold an area. There was one very small reason to leave them down; Overcharge cooldowns were sometimes faster than the Turret’s cooldown itself.

Now, even that incredibly small reason is gone.

Might I propose something to make it worth leaving your Turrets going instead of detonating them immediately? Give the Overcharge a cooldown once more, kept track of by the Turret itself instead of the player. Every time the Overcharge comes off cooldown, it triggers again and gets a stacking buff that reduces the cooldown the next time around. Leave it up long enough, and it’ll be in permanent Overcharge mode. This makes it slightly dangerous to leave an Engineer to their own devices for too long, but not very since Turrets are still fragile little heaps of junk that can be pretty easily removed when it comes times to do so.

I’ve been waiting since the game’s release for some kind of change that makes it worth keeping Turrets alive, and with this step backwards, I’m definitely a little frustrated.

The class is always greener on the other side.

(edited by Toolbox.9375)

in Engineer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Clearly you missed out on the cancerous pvp turret tank meta a few months before traits were changed to specializations.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Engineer

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Plus, there’s that whole afk Engineer farm that’s happening in Lake Doric. ArenaNet may not be too keen to make that stronger…

I would be inclined to think that turrets should possibly be made to repeat the overcharge if they stay out long enough now, but I wouldn’t be inclined to have the cooldown change over time.

Still, it would be nice for them to be more viable for general play.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

Clearly you missed out on the cancerous pvp turret tank meta a few months before traits were changed to specializations.

Yep. That was pretty awful. As a main engineer, I was pretty ashamed of that meta. It was disgracefully easy.

Buuuuuuut that’s no excuse for their woeful state now. As it stands, only healing turret is of any use, and that’s because it’s a healing bomb. Rifle turret is only taken for the DPS boost of surprise shot.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

in Engineer

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Yep. That was pretty awful. As a main engineer, I was pretty ashamed of that meta. It was disgracefully easy.

Buuuuuuut that’s no excuse for their woeful state now. As it stands, only healing turret is of any use, and that’s because it’s a healing bomb. Rifle turret is only taken for the DPS boost of surprise shot.

To be fair, now that deploying turrets no longer blocks your toolbelt skills, it’s become viable to leave the rifle turret out for the extra DPS it does provide. However, you’re still taking it for the toolbelt skill, actually deploying the turret is an added bonus.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Honestly though, they should have stuck a double flip skill on the turret so you have Deploy → overcharge → self destruct (after overcharge recharges it will flip once again). I don’t like that you can’t use overcharge at will.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Engineer

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

turrets were weak before the change, but they were useable, now they are absolutely awful, there was no need for such a horrible change, and sadly we’re stuck with it for another third of the year because ANET are the slowest company in the universe to push out balance patches.

personally i’d get rid of detonation,
have the turrets overcharge when placed as they do now,
make them throwable once more,
and have them begin cooldown immediately. (rather than when picked up/destroyed)

so its kind of like manual overcharge, you simply throw a new version of the turret where you want it and it will overcharge (plus you’ll get a nice full health turret again.)

(edited by Liewec.2896)