Need an engineer tank build!

in Engineer

Posted by: motherbox.5493

motherbox.5493

Just returned from a break in the game and I am looking for a viable tank build to run dungeons with – anyone have one? Also as a bonus, is there a viable toolkit build for PVE? I love running around with the wrench but it’s not a must.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Not a full tank build, but I run this in PvP a lot and it’s incredible.

Don’t be afraid to pick up turrets, you can chain 20+ seconds of reflects with this build. Has excellent healing, good condi and good pressure from turrets.
oh.. and did I mention it has insane CC?

in Engineer

motherbox.5493

Can you share a link to the build?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

If you will run dungs in tank build you will be another reason why groups dont want engis there.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Can you share a link to the build?

Sorry.. completely forgot to link it haha.

Here you go.

Oh god.. double fail. I don’t know why.. but I read PvP for some reason. Sorry ><

But yeah.. touching up on what Rozbuska said.. there’s no reason to use anything other than full damage gear in PvE. It’s too easy to bother wearing anything for extra survivability.

(edited by Zach.3264)

in Engineer

motherbox.5493

Regarding the dungeon thing Rozbuska, I didn’t know that, thanks for the info. Alternatively, I’m getting downed a lot just running through Orr or in dungeon runs as dps so I’m trying to toughen up a little or look for alternative builds as well.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Regarding the dungeon thing Rozbuska, I didn’t know that, thanks for the info. Alternatively, I’m getting downed a lot just running through Orr or in dungeon runs as dps so I’m trying to toughen up a little or look for alternative builds as well.

Actualy basicly all dungs are very easy in any gear if you run them right so best advice is look on some video and learn boss mechanics where to stay when dodge ect.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

reinforcing the “tanking is not viable in dungeons” thing

if you cant handle full zerk, swap a few pieces out for knight or celestial until you feel like youre cruising in ezmode, then learn to play (learn tells, skill rotations, etc), then go back to zerk

advice only applicable to pve

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Arah is a tough dungeons for newbies to zerk in because it requires a lot of little tricks to get through content. Once you learn them it’s super easy and you can basically AFK it.

What he’s saying in general is that there is a misconception that engineers can’t DPS (even the so-called pros in the speedrun guilds like rT think so) when in fact they deal massive DPS second only to elementalists. The problem is that 99% of engineers don’t DPS properly so people just see engineers in their dungeon party with tank specs and doing everything wrong and assume that’s just how the class is.

It took like a year for people to catch on about DPS rangers (which is, amusingly about the same amount of time for DPS rangers to legit become bad) but the difference here is that engineers are rare in general and competent ones are an even smaller percentage of that.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

The best Engi tank builds (IMO) have a base of 1/x/6/x/x using the larger AOE for bombs and Elixir Infused bombs for healing. If you’re going full tank then you probably want to use your last 6 points in Alchemy as it is the best defensive line. You could get great condition removal and permanent health regen when you’re in Bomb Kit.

I don’t think this will be good in a dungeon though, as you can’t really grab aggro so you can’t really tank. The build does have lots of healing for you and your group, but awful damage. The way this game works I have found that you can still build for DPS but when you want to support just change out a few traits and skills. I wouldn’t make a whole build for it, Healing Power doesn’t do much compared to the investment so you’re better off building for damage but using support skills if that’s what you want to do.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry