New 80, looking for PvE build advice!

in Engineer

Posted by: Silverblade.7689

Silverblade.7689

Hello lovely engineering community! My li’l engineer is about to turn 80, and I’m looking for some build advice. I’m pretty casual, and will be focusing primarily on solo/world PvE content. I know I want to use a flamethrower/Juggernaut build, but other than that I’m pretty clueless. Specifically I’m looking for advice on:

1) Specialization/traits (Scrapper is available).

2) Utility skills.

3) Equipment/stat priorities.

4) Runes/sigils.

Any info you can offer is appreciated; thanks very much!

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Wahoooooo! Heya

And welcome to the lovely engineering community! Happy to hear another pal reached lv 80 and is about to become a great buddy to blow up stuff with :’D

So you enjoy open world, wich basicly means you can play whatever you want to. I suggest you go for a flamethrower style power Scrapper build, just like you wanted to do anyway
The FT on power Scrapper is extremly strong at soloing since it grants you a high amount of self sustained might and with the correct traits you can either go for more damage or more survivablity. Right now I’ll introduce you to the 2nd one:

The build I’m in love with for open world is this one:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoC1ahFpCubB0ehl7iCsBjwAIsmCoMj+2j9cH-TBSBwAo0BA4BAERJ4Vlf02fYxFAAhJobq/AA-e
(adapted to exotic gear)

You should always use Scrapper and Firearms. One allows you to use the hammer and has some great traits and gyros and Firearms just has awesome passive stat bonuses like 2x +10% crit chance, aswell Juggernaut.

Always focus on Berserker stats as an Engineer. Normally I’d suggest to pick some Assassin Gear but the Engi has 20% bonus crit chance in Firearms, so you can go full Zerk for max dps!

Use Scholar Runes for max dps in group content like raids, fractals or dungeons. However if you are soloing Strength Runes are by far superior since they also grant you 45% longer might duration.

As for Sigils in group content Force and Air, as for solo and open world Force and Bloodlust. Force simply grants you 5% power damage wich is the best you can get for a Sigil. Bloodlust on the other hand gives you that stacking +10 power that will result into 250 additional power if you won’t die too often. It’s a great damage boost and the best thing you can do for open world.

The whole thing works like this:

• You mainly use your FT (flame thrower).
  • You only use your hammer for #5 and #2 or for #3 while finishing a combo.
  • Hammer #5 into #3 causes stun, daze, daze, daze to wreck breakbars!
  • Medic Gyro toolbelt into hammer #3 causes triple water leaps for a total 4000 heal.
  • While using a FT you get might and stability
  • While having stability you get might
  • While getting might over 10 stacks you get quickness
  • While getting quicknes YOU WRECK EVERYTHING BRRRRRR =^._.^=
  • You have passive 25% more movement speed (trait) for mobility and exploring
  • You poop medkits and mines with a 2s cd on hit. This trait is called Bunker Down, awesome sustain and sustained damage.
  • FT auto hits so often you constantly poop those two things.
  • You can run in circles and pick up med hits wich heal 500 instant and 500 over time EACH and enemies run over your mines wich deal nice damage.
  • Mines sound is awesome. piip piip piip BOOM =^._.^=
  • You got your bulwark gyro for hard encounters.
  • It’s toolbelt is an on demand reflection. <3
  • Medic Gyro toolbelt grants protection for tankyness.

The 3rd utility is optional:

• Elixier Gun for stunbreak, aoe damage and condi cleanse.
  • Slick shoes for wrecking open world big breakbars like metaevent bosses at Verdant Brink (you will literally change the faith of the whole map with this skill, if done right!)
  • Elixier U for moar quickness and a stunbreak, aswell projectile defense. Is better in the offensive variant of this build (ask me for it if you want it)
  • Purge Gyro for many condi cleanses (for example Troll hero point in tangeled depths)
  • You can also use rocket boots for the old maps

I hope it’s not too much wall’o’text! If you have further questions, just go ahead!

Greeeeeez!
- Ziggs Ironey

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

(edited by Xyonon.3987)

in Engineer

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

My pve/open world set up;

Full zojja’s armor, flip flop toughness or vit for play style. I like to model my open world guy as marauder/scrapper.
-toughness for more dps, vit for more versatility

Mix of knight’s, berserker’s, 1 piece assassin’s for accessories. I carry one with condi dmg and one extra toughness so I can be lazy switching builds.

Key is build spec.
Dps rifle
Explosives 1, 3, 2
Tools 2, 3 , 2
Firearms 1, 3, 2 or 1 depending on how much you solo

Scrapper version
Dps hammer/rifle
Mix in 2 other knight’s rings
Firearms 1, 1, 2 or 3*see above
Tools 2, 3, 2
Scrapper 1 or 2, 1 or 3, 1 or 2 choice depends on play style

This is static discharge build. Viable in ow, pve, boss kills. Gyro version viable(ish) in wvw.

Sigil of air
Sigil of force

Runes of ogre.
Enjoy

in Engineer

Posted by: MinerBob.5312

MinerBob.5312

I like Boot’s Bad Build: One Man Army build, although I have modified it.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoC1ahFpCmcBEqil7iie1j9cHcBjwAQsg6hQE-T1BBABAcBA+4BAYkyv80BIhSQw3f/BH1fIFQgTtA-w

I use Runes of the Traveller to get the +25% Movement Speed, but basically it is a FT/Juggernaut build.

The problem with all of these builds is that they are what you use AFTER you get the full Scrapper trait line. It will take you quite some time to get the full Scrapper traits so you need a non-Scrapper build.

So if you like FT/Juggernaut, then you work from there. You obviously have Firearms to get Juggernaut. For the Master I would choose No Scope. FT hits a lot so your chances of getting a critical increase, as long as you stay up close. That procs Fury, which further increases you chances of getting criticals.

Criticals proc bleeding (Firearms Minor Adept trait), which lasts longer (Minor GrandMaster), which further increases criticals (Minor Master). So now your build should focus on criticals and bleeding. For your Major Adept either Heavy Armor Exploit or High Caliber seems like the ticket, depending upon what you want. Note that the former procs on criticals while the latter procs on range, which increases the chance of procing No Scope.

Inventions are really centered around healing. If you like to go solo, this is probably a line to take. Of the traits, I almost always take Bunker Down, simply because criticals will proc it, giving you healing (move forward) or inflicting more damage (move backwards drawing them into the mines). If you take Inventions, this means you can take Mecha Legs and get perma +25% Movement Speed, always a good thing for those long runs.

So that leave Explosives, Alchemy, and Tools, at least until you get Scrapper. If you focus is on FT, then Explosives is unlikely to be a choice. I personally prefer to round out the skills with Elixirs, so Alchemy is a much better bet. Projection Injection and HGH would be my Adept Major and GrandMaster Major choices with either Backpack Generator or Self-Regulating Defenses as my Master Major. The former gives me regeneration, which procs Energy Amplifier, while the latter helps you escape defeat (although less so in solo open world PvE).

I am a rifle person and because FT has little condition on it, it goes better than pistol/pistol, which is oriented more for a condition build. Forget hammer until you have a full scrapper build. If you choose rifle then you don’t need Elixir Gun for range, but you might consider it because you have invested in HGH.

I use Elixir H when solo. Turrets are too finicky in open world. I like Elixir U for quickness. It helps you burn down the enemy faster. If not taking Elixir Gun I usually take Elixir B, although admittedly usually waste it for swiftness.

I always took Mortar before Scrapper, unless specifically playing a Turret build.

in Engineer

Posted by: David.5974

David.5974

Here is my build for WvW and open world. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUBtbhVXBeeBEqilJjS8ZKgAgeuz7APc7SmwC-TVSBABP8AAA4CAcj6P7v/w96AKSJ2VKP+eiTEKBJFQgTtA-w

You have many boons, and this build is only one of many focused on solo open world/wvw.
-perma protection(rune of durability,trait)
-perma swiftness(blast in lighting field)
-perma quickness(swap slick shoes for elixir U)
-heavy tanky(swap slick shoes for bulky gyro)
-big solo dmg(swap inventions trait to fire arms-3-3-2)this mean perma fury now
-perma 25might stack(use toss elixir b under you=3stack of stability for 8sec=might bumping via trait)
-Elixir gun provide condi clean+acid bomb for solid dmg and hgh synergy

This build work for me, I dont like flame thrower, so I find this old pvp utility+ trait setup and add only different gear. Depend on situation you will never have problem if you setup your utilites(for wyvern in hot areas use slick shoes to destroy all cc bar, for solo champ bulky gyro, for old content firearms trait and elixir U)

“Doctor suggest me, to stop play with engi because my fingers are broken.
So.. I start play scrapper. "

in Engineer

Posted by: Silverblade.7689

Silverblade.7689

This was super helpful everyone — thanks! I dinged 80 last night and have begun accumulating the equipment and hero points I’ll need to try these ideas out.

in Engineer

Posted by: Perbadedyr.4639

Perbadedyr.4639

@Xyonon and others.

Thanks for the info, Made me make a Charr Engineer, Hes is lvl 71 at the time.
When he hit lvl80, Is it okay to use a Armor set of exotic Marauder ??
I have a set in the bank from lvl leather work on my ranger.

What about rune for solo pve old maps and HOT maps, As i find the Strength cost to much (Only have 70 gold at the time).
Any cheaper rune you can suggested ?

Is there a good build for pre-Scrapper ?
And what time do i go Scrapper, how fare up Scrapper Trait line do i need before change to scrapper.

TIA.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Wahoo!

I’d aim for this one to begin with

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlUUhatY5VwdLQ7FL3FlYBth5QYNFQZGYDGhBAA-TBSDwAw1BAwE0L1fGcBAY8AAeq8j3+DJUCCA-e

You can also go for scholar runes for max dps, they are great but not really suited for new players ^.^ If you want to safe some money until you get yourself scholar runes you can also just use ruby orbs.

Anything else?

Greez!
- Ziggy

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”