New Engineer Questions

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Posted by: MotherBear.6504

MotherBear.6504

Hi all,

I am pretty new to GW 2 and I have created a human engineer. I had leveled up a Guardian to 20 but then I found it a bit boring. I just dont want to be that holy and I like the backpack of engineer – it looks nerdy but I like it. SO far it is only level 10, and I found it more difficult (it is more easily for an engineer to die as compared to Guardian? Or it is my problem?)

I am using pistol and rifle. It is easier for me to control. I have a lot about using bomb and grenades and how efficient it is. I have tried for using it more often. It is perfectly when I play with some other players – as they can cover me. However, when it comes to sole play I find it very difficult – I cant aim and miss the attack at the same time. Relatively, pistol and rifle are safer.

I would like to know whether there are engineers who use rifle and pistol and can play very well? I am afraid that if I cannot manage grenades well I will not be a good team member in the future.

I really hope the distance of rifle can be extended – it is pretty sad to use a rifle which the bullets go even shorter then bows.

Thanks!

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Hi all,

I am pretty new to GW 2 and I have created a human engineer. I had leveled up a Guardian to 20 but then I found it a bit boring. I just dont want to be that holy and I like the backpack of engineer – it looks nerdy but I like it. SO far it is only level 10, and I found it more difficult (it is more easily for an engineer to die as compared to Guardian? Or it is my problem?)

Engineers are a totally different concept and are indeed more squishy than guardians. We use medium armor. But playing it right the engineers can prove the opposite. I will go ahead and say it’s your problem since you didn’t understand the class.

I am using pistol and rifle.

Rifle, Pistol and a Shield are the only wepons we can equip
But there are Kits to compensate.

I would like to know whether there are engineers who use rifle and pistol and can play very well? I am afraid that if I cannot manage grenades well I will not be a good team member in the future.

I really hope the distance of rifle can be extended – it is pretty sad to use a rifle which the bullets go even shorter then bows.
Thanks!

Yes my friend there are many ways to improve. I would recommend pistols for lower levels but if it’s the rifle you like we will make it work!

The engineer is a very interesting class. You can’t rely only on a Kit, a Gadget, a turret or even a hand gun/rifle. Somehow (with very little exceptions), the game forces us to combine everything we have.

It is true that explosions are a top damage weapon for engineer. But at a higher level (over 50) you can create many builds since you unlock certain traits and abilities. Also, the rifle is a very good damage dealer if you use a rotation of skills.

Right now I am leveling my second engineer (because I love to do so) so I can tell you how to obtain the best damage. I only hope you like the idea of “Bomberman”.

So get a full Medium blue Armor set for your level that gives +power as attribute. From the Trading Post. Additionally buy Minor runes that gives + 10 power. Note that they must be different, otherwise their second attribute activates. Here are more informations on runes:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune

So at the end you should have +60 power from runes only.

Get a rifle that also give + power. And get a sigil from the TP. Sigil of Bloodlust (gain +5 power each time you kill a foe). This means you can stack 5 power 25 times. Crazy huh? Just remember you must not get knocked. May be a good idea to stack this on lower monsters before attacking the bad ones.

Unlock the bomb Kit and play around with it. It’s incredibly funny and most likely you will have more damage than other classes at these level.

2 examples of how to engage:

1) Use the Net shot + Rifle Jump Shot + Blunderbuss + Overcharged Shot, switch to bomb kit and retreat planting bombs. Time them right and enjoy as they blow right beneath the enemy’s feet.

2) Shoot the monster to aggro him, plant Big’ol Bomb. Move around with the monster and the explosion will launch it away and to the ground. Switch to rifle and repeat 1).

Conclusion:

Power is very important on the early levels because it increases damage directly. And it increases the bombs damage very well. So what you should do is dodge when you have to and have fun luring monsters in your bombs. KABOOOOOOOOM!

Come back with questions!
good luck!

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I leveled with pistol/pistol and the Flamethrower & Elixir Gun kits. Both give you enough damage to eat thru enemies and enough utility to stay alive. Flame thrower is aoe too, so that’s a bonus.

Some useful info on the above mentioned setup:

Pistols give you a bouncing blind/confusion
Pistols give you poison, bleed, burning – 3 degen conditions
FT gives you a pbaoe blind & an aoe knockback
FT gives you a fire combo field
EG gives you a blast finisher/retreat in 1 skill
EG gives you an aoe healing light field
EG stacks conditions like poison, weakness, and cripple very effectively

All of these tools make surviving very easy, as well as dealing damage.

Plus, I find the above setup to be simpler to understand and pull off than more complex net shot, net turret, jumpshot, blunderbuss combos. gl

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Hjulstad.6317

Hjulstad.6317

Hope i dont steal your thread now op but wanna ask few questions aswell..

I am trying engi now and i want to run it mainly wvw.. i got 2 questions tho.

1: is ther any viable melee specc for engi?
2: is conditions the only way to go?

Still tryibg to find a proffession that fits my style 100% but only have necro and engi left that aint 80. Engi is 35 btw mainly leveled in wvw

Member of TUP
@
Aurora Glade

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Still tryibg to find a proffession that fits my style 100% but only have necro and engi left that aint 80. Engi is 35 btw mainly leveled in wvw

1. There is no ONLY-melee for engi. The tool kit wrench hit deals very good damage but it’s not sustainable in a fight. However, many people consider the Flamethrower being a melee weapon. It’s range is only 425. Combined with a pistol + shield it rolls almost like a melee fight.

2. Condition based engineers are strong but it’s defensively NOT the only way to go. STATIC DISCHARGE. This is one of the builds that work really grat if you use full berserker items and. I often turn to it because is so much fun and the damage burst is outrageous. Here you go:

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Hjulstad.6317

1. There is no ONLY-melee for engi. The tool kit wrench hit deals very good damage but it’s not sustainable in a fight. However, many people consider the Flamethrower being a melee weapon. It’s range is only 425. Combined with a pistol + shield it rolls almost like a melee fight.

2. Condition based engineers are strong but it’s defensively NOT the only way to go. STATIC DISCHARGE. This is one of the builds that work really grat if you use full berserker items and. I often turn to it because is so much fun and the damage burst is outrageous. Here you go:

Looks very interesting especially for trolling in wvw hehe. But might not work that good for large scale fights going 20 vs 50 for example.. tried bombs but not really efficient in zerg hunting( but thanks alot for the response

Member of TUP
@
Aurora Glade

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

It goes well in small fights. If you want to troll enemy zerg go Grenades. They may take a while to learn but once you do that, you will have lots of fun. They have a decent area damage and 1500 range !

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Walorx.5129

Walorx.5129

Looks very interesting especially for trolling in wvw hehe. But might not work that good for large scale fights going 20 vs 50 for example.. tried bombs but not really efficient in zerg hunting( but thanks alot for the response

Hey dude, what’s shakin! I’m actually the creator of that build and video and I can assure you that this spec works wonders in WvW Zerg fights. The static discharges, as you saw, bounce off targets multiple times with a large amount of damage! With one rotation, and being properly specced, you can down about 4-6 people! I once ran this spec with 19 other engineers using the same build and we instantly killed a 50+ man Zerg!

Vöz – “Stand in the red circles, they heal you”
YOUTUBE.COM/VOZTACTICS

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I agree with Walorx: SD is made for firing into large crowds. It’s probably at it’s weakest when used one-on-one. But it’s a perfectly viable build for PvE and WvW (I don’t PvP so I can’t comment on that).

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Hey dude, what’s shakin! I’m actually the creator of that build and video and I can assure you that this spec works wonders in WvW Zerg fights. The static discharges, as you saw, bounce off targets multiple times with a large amount of damage! With one rotation, and being properly specced, you can down about 4-6 people! I once ran this spec with 19 other engineers using the same build and we instantly killed a 50+ man Zerg!

Nice to meet you! I am currently following the build with great success in all WvW, PvP and PvE and I will continue to promote your video’s to whoever is willing to learn it. I successfully engage in group fights and I even manage to take down enemies on walls. I mentioned grenades as another option with greater range against a chaotic zerk swarm.

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Hjulstad.6317

Hey! Nice of you to come here and show yourself) As of right now my engi is only 50 and ofc not the best to try this on.. but i am affraid i need to give up to much support/survival to run this.. and my biggest problem with this is i love being in the melee train.. frontliner for the win.. but ofc will give it a try)

Member of TUP
@
Aurora Glade

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Posted by: MotherBear.6504

MotherBear.6504

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for your sharing. It helps me a lot in understanding more about engineers.
I am a holiday player and the progress is pretty slow. My human engineer is only 21 level and I like to explore the map suggested by the story line.

Flamethrower is really awesome! I do PVE only and I can use it to deal with multiple enemies (3 – 4). I like to use rifle but most of the time I am actually using flamethrower.

I have also tried using elixir gun but find it not as effective as flamethrower (I put 10 traits on Explosives and will add on Firearm). Basically my skills are elixir B and U plus flamethrower. I have not used bombs and grenades for ages.

I think now the problem that I am facing are: 1.) Which healing skill for solo PVE is more efficient (I am using the default one)? 2.) Where to gather enough green wood log and leather as I am at level 50 for both huntsman and leatherwork.

I have not used pistols for ages too…

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

EG is not the best damage kit, especially if not geared up at 80. #4 scales well with power but use it primarily as an escape and blast finisher while leveling. #5 is a great healing field so use that to keep yourself alive when your heal skill is on cooldown. EG does have some nice and overlooked conditions. Don’t underestimate the importance of weakness and poison on hard hitting and self-healing enemies. Also, its auto stacks bleeds better than pistol.

As for best solo healing skill, MedKit. The F1 heals well and the dropped kits can be peppered around the area pre-fight so that you can pick em up without having to interupt your attack. Not to mention it’s got condition removal and a might/fury/swiftness buff built in. It’s a 1-stop-shop for all things survival.

In groups, the healing turret rules. Drop it, overcharge it, detonate it. Lotsa aoe heals.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

New Engineer Questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I leveled with pistol/pistol and the Flamethrower & Elixir Gun kits. Both give you enough damage to eat thru enemies and enough utility to stay alive. Flame thrower is aoe too, so that’s a bonus.

Some useful info on the above mentioned setup:

Pistols give you a bouncing blind/confusion
Pistols give you poison, bleed, burning – 3 degen conditions
FT gives you a pbaoe blind & an aoe knockback
FT gives you a fire combo field
EG gives you a blast finisher/retreat in 1 skill
EG gives you an aoe healing light field
EG stacks conditions like poison, weakness, and cripple very effectively

All of these tools make surviving very easy, as well as dealing damage.

Plus, I find the above setup to be simpler to understand and pull off than more complex net shot, net turret, jumpshot, blunderbuss combos. gl

+1 to this. Enjoying leveling a second engi much more than my first, and I decided to go down this build route as well.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!