New engie with a few questions

in Engineer

Posted by: Dranz.3456

Dranz.3456

I am looking at a hgh p/p condition damage build. the thing is I only like 2 elixirs, namely b, and h. Is the standard elixir s that goes into the slot be that useful in wvwvw? Or could rocket boots work? Maybe the condi clearing elixir?

Is 50% condi duration with food good enough?

And last question what’s the the thoughts on runes of altruism? More might, and fury on heal seems very powerful.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mnemesis.8257

Mnemesis.8257

I am looking at a hgh p/p condition damage build. the thing is I only like 2 elixirs, namely b, and h. Is the standard elixir s that goes into the slot be that useful in wvwvw? Or could rocket boots work? Maybe the condi clearing elixir?

Even though Elixir S is a shadow of its former glory it is still an amazing skill to keep on your utility bar, as the applications of it extend beyond saving your life by ignoring CC effects for that well rewarded stomp. Rocket boots are amazing with the new forward propelling motion, but are better suited with a Super Speed buff to maximize their distance. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend using Elixir R anymore since it is no longer a stun breaker like Elixir S is.

Is 50% condi duration with food good enough?

This is a matter of your personal preference really. You have to discern whether investing the points into extending your ticks improves your dps enough to justify other build alternatives. I use p/p and find that 60% base duration with 90% bleed is optimal for my build and play style, however this brings me to your next question.

And last question what’s the the thoughts on runes of altruism? More might, and fury on heal seems very powerful.

Unless you are using HGH to stack might and buff durations, I find that this particular setup is a bit underwhelming. With Elixir H you won’t get as much benefit from them as you would from Med Kit, but then again you wouldn’t do the kit for an HGH build and you would have to Rune into Might durations to maintain them. Since I have no idea what your build is I can only assume at this point in time that you have better alternatives to examine than Altruism.

in Engineer

Dranz.3456

Looking at 10/20/0/30/10. I moved around some points to have 10 in tools for speedy kits. I plan on doing a lot of wvwvw roaming, so I figured permanent swiftness was a good thing.
I tried working out a p/p gadget build, but I couldn’t find one I liked. I guess runes for bleed duration would be better. Thanks for the info.

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Altruism Runes are great for team support, especially for an Engi who can swap in the MedKit quickly with no CD. The Fury from 6/6 isn’t really helpful for a condition build, unless you’re running a high crit % build for condition procs.

I use 6/6 Altruism on my dungeon builds for team support along with my EG. However, if you’re not running a support build I think you’re better off with more condition oriented runes. You’ll probably get more out of runes with +cond duration and damage (Nightmare?) than you will might on heal & healing power. In a build with crit proccing, maybe Thief Runes. Though now that I think about it, 4x Altruism will help with might stacking as well as boon duration so that might be helpful after all. If you don’t mind the healing power.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Dranz.3456

I figured the healing power wouldn’t hurt, and the 15% boon duration puts hgh at 45% duration. So it seems like solid offense with might, fury (with a mix of rabid, carrion, and celestial trinkets it would put crit at 46% chance), and boon duration. The healing is just a little something extra.
I am a big fan of semi balanced stats so I was looking at celestial trinkets. I should sit around 20-21k health, and 2k ish deff. I was going to use koi cakes/veggi pizza for condi duration. The 10% from nightmare runes feels like to little, maybe a mix of water for boon duration, krait for bleed, and maybe another for bleeding/burning?

Undead runes also do not look bad… Bah to many good runes, not enough slots.

in Engineer

Mnemesis.8257

I figured the healing power wouldn’t hurt, and the 15% boon duration puts hgh at 45% duration. So it seems like solid offense with might, fury (with a mix of rabid, carrion, and celestial trinkets it would put crit at 46% chance), and boon duration. The healing is just a little something extra.
I am a big fan of semi balanced stats so I was looking at celestial trinkets. I should sit around 20-21k health, and 2k ish deff. I was going to use koi cakes/veggi pizza for condi duration. The 10% from nightmare runes feels like to little, maybe a mix of water for boon duration, krait for bleed, and maybe another for bleeding/burning?

Undead runes also do not look bad… Bah to many good runes, not enough slots.

45% to all boons is pretty decent, but you might find yourself having trouble maintaining 25 stacks of might consistently. The most efficient method I found in doing so was using 2 Superior Runes of Fire, and 2 Superior Strength, 2 optional. Speccing 20 in Explosives gives you the ability to gain 3 stacks of might using your heal, which combos with HGH to give you 6 stacks for 1 skill (9 if you went the Altruism route). However, doing so would make you take 10 points from either Fire Arms of Tools. If you really like Altruism, I would suggest trying the 20 in explosives and see how that works with your current play style.

in Engineer

Dranz.3456

I thought boon duration was capped at 50%? If not the 2 fire, 2 strength, 2 altruism. That’s 70% might duration, with 5 might (20 sec originally) on heal with a 16 second cd. So it’s what 34 seconds of might? Plus elixir b, and the tosses. I still don’t see how people get 25 might with hgh, and sustain it. I mean throw in weapon swap might, and you get close, but 15-20 seems more realistic, or am I missing something?

in Engineer

Mnemesis.8257

I thought boon duration was capped at 50%? If not the 2 fire, 2 strength, 2 altruism. That’s 70% might duration, with 5 might (20 sec originally) on heal with a 16 second cd. So it’s what 34 seconds of might? Plus elixir b, and the tosses. I still don’t see how people get 25 might with hgh, and sustain it. I mean throw in weapon swap might, and you get close, but 15-20 seems more realistic, or am I missing something?

I haven’t heard anything about boons being capped at 50%. With the noticeable increase in duration you will find that it is much much easier to maintain those stacks, if you conserve your skills you find yourself resting at 12-15, but if you continually pop your skill when available you can keep 25 pretty much indefinitely. Play around with it and see how it works for you.

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I use six altruism runes in my p/p WvW roamer build. It’s true that it’s more difficult to maintain very high might stacks, but you will still be able to maintain a decent amount by yourself (10-15ish usually), and the additional fury uptime is also helpful. The catch is that you have to pop your healing skill to do this, but that’s not usually too much a hindrance mid-fight (if you don’t find yourself using your healing skill, then your enemy is probably losing or running away anyways).

It’s also useful in group battles since you can provide that benefit to allies as well, so it’s useful if you’re not fighting in a solo situation. I usually do a lot of organized zerging in WvW, so having the six altruism runes allows me to be credit to team in addition to maintaining good self might stacks.

I haven’t tried rocket boots in such a build, but elixir S would be a solid choice, especially with elixir cooldown reduction. While rocket boots can be a nice getaway mechanism, it won’t break stuns and isn’t infallible. On the other hand, elixir S is a hard source of immediate invulnerability that can get you out of some tight situations. Along with toss elixir S, it can also help you guarantee a critical stomp on a downed enemy to avoid rallying, which rocket boots cannot do.

Rocket boots would give you that extra burning though, and the mobility would be useful, but I’m not sure it would be optimal with a p/p roamer focused in elixirs. Could be something to play around with though.

in Engineer

Dranz.3456

With the rise of necros I am also thinking elixir c might not be a bad option. At least for those nights I see marks every five steps.

in Engineer

Dranz.3456

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-V;4Z;0h0;2Fx0;9;499-T94;05;319A5;0K71;3qOrTvG8_20FiVA;5P-UWjXgY1_o_0uVIF310;5W8kNX8k;9;9;9;9;7V6s5n

That’s what I have come up with so far. I am having a hard time with the last 10 points, and the second utility slot. I think it looks solid so far. I have larales for the neck, guild tokens for earrings, the rings will take a bit. Might just go with exotic back, the cost is high for minimal states.
Just have to finish off the last few levels on my engie.

Any suggestions? Is it a solid wvwvw build so far? Oh and third slot is for a kit. Tk when roaming, grenades when seiging, others on the fly as I need, or want. I might use the second slot the same way. Switching from elixirs to gadgets as needed.

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

you don’t really need speedy kits if you are running an elixir build with 30 points in alchemy. even without any extra boon duration you shouldn’t have much problems keeping swiftness up while in combat. 13 seconds of swiftness from B, 13 from hidden flask at 75% hp, 13 from H randomly and 13 from toss B randomly.

elixir S is still great, even after the nerf. it is still a guaranteed stomp, which is awesome in wvw, extra might stacks and cleanse.
C is ok, especially if you are fighting a necro, it’s cooldown is faster than corrupt boon so you can always counter it well.
EG is a good choice as well, especially now that the toolbelt skill is a stunbreaker. its another source of swiftness, a blast finisher, an area heal and perma weakness on one single utility slot.

take a look at my stuff for ideas or just to see most of your traits and utilities it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmgYIXdnik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgubndIgspY

also, boon duration is capped at 100%, not 50%. I run +70% boon duration now and I have gone +90 and 100 (110) before.

but yes, your build is solid for small scale wvw, its similar to mine.

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

in Engineer

Dranz.3456

I was thinking speedy kits for running between points. Half the time wvwvw seems to be just running from one point to another. Still I am sure I can come up with alternatives, and I might be running with a guardian fairly often. Well that means 20 free points, time to play with the calculator.