New engineer

New engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

So I’m thinking of rolling up an engineer for my next alt. My main is warrior, secondary is necro. I’ve been hearing all sorts of good things about the engineer, but that its difficult to play. If I do decide to go engineer, what is some good advice to getting into this profession?

Want to mainly WvWvW with this character.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

New engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Got to be a little more specific.
Are you looking to do PvE, WvW, PvP or a mixture of game modes?

New engineer

in Engineer

pdavis.8031

Mainly WvW for this alt. Of course I’ll have to do SOME PvE to gear up a bit, either that or just buy it off the TP

recognize my command!”

New engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

Know all of your skills before hand. Practice them while doing PvE or something. Swapping between kits frequently is a normal thing, and kits have a 1s CD for swapping. You could be firing a rifle, then swap to an elixir gun for a condi clear / heal and swap back quickly. Maybe your taking heavy fire? Toolkit to #4 instantly. It should come to you without even thinking.

That’s if you are running kits though. Also know your tool belt skills as well: they are quite important in dealing damage / surviving.

(edited by WEXXES.2378)

New engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

rocket boots + bombs + speedy kits for levelling

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

New engineer

in Engineer

pdavis.8031

Cool thanks! Looking forward to an engineer

recognize my command!”

New engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

rocket boots + bombs + speedy kits for levelling

Basically a solid advise for newbies, but I’d recommend swaping the bombkit for Grenades so you can train yourself with using them properly early on. You will profit from this semi-hardmode later on, trust me.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

New engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Swapping between kits frequently is a normal thing, and kits have a 1s CD for swapping.

Swapping to or from a kit puts all your kits on a 1 second cooldown, but you can swap back to your equipped weapon at any time.

Remember too that you should be making use of the Speedy kits trait even out of combat- you don’t get an offhand with a swiftness skill, nor a 25% speed signet. Speedy kits is your way of keeping up with the group.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

New engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Swapping between kits frequently is a normal thing, and kits have a 1s CD for swapping.

Swapping to or from a kit puts all your kits on a 1 second cooldown, but you can swap back to your equipped weapon at any time.

Remember too that you should be making use of the Speedy kits trait even out of combat- you don’t get an offhand with a swiftness skill, nor a 25% speed signet. Speedy kits is your way of keeping up with the group.

we have access to a 25% trait, 25% or 33% from runes, 33% in combat (on crit), or 33% on swap.
the reasons to take 33% on swap are:

• long(er) duration
  • adept
  • in damage trait line
  • 100% uptime

but a couple of the others are just as good when abused correctly.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions