No advanced mechanics for engi ?

in Engineer

Posted by: OanSur.4590

OanSur.4590

Let’s see… Guardian got specialized virtues, warrior got f2 zerk mode and specialized f1, rev got f2 facet of nature. Ele got specialized attunements, mesmer got f5 skill, reaper got specialized f1 shroud. Thief got specialized dodge mechanics and engi got… Nothing ?
No additional mechanics, just weapon, traitline and utilities. If u consider function gyro as advanced scrapper mechanics then sry but i call this laziness

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I was hoping for a fuel bar mechanic to manage gyros like Revenant energy skills. :/

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Let’s see… Guardian got specialized virtues, warrior got f2 zerk mode and specialized f1, rev got f2 facet of nature. Ele got specialized attunements, mesmer got f5 skill, reaper got specialized f1 shroud. Thief got specialized dodge mechanics and engi got… Nothing ?
No additional mechanics, just weapon, traitline and utilities. If u consider function gyro as advanced scrapper mechanics then sry but i call this laziness

How do you advance the best system in the game?

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

what do you call the function gyro then.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

I was hoping for a fuel bar mechanic to manage gyros like Revenant energy skills. :/

This always seemed unlikely to me because Gyros are utilities.

Hard to build an entire mechanic around something that is purely optional AND competing with Kits (which are practically required).

That said, the function Gyro needs to be made more unique.

in Engineer

Posted by: OanSur.4590

OanSur.4590

Simply by adding some inferior crap but thats not the point. The point is engi lacks a basic thing about elite spec. This isnt scrapper. This is just regular engi with hammer. No imagination from anet this time which is dissapointing really

in Engineer

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

The function gyro is as much of a new mechanic as the new thief dodges.
That’s neither an argument for or against your point, for what it’s worth. But thieves are having the exact same complaint about their new dodge, that is isn’t a “real” class mechanic.

And technically, we got FIVE new F skills.
The function gryo is also literally an f skill, funnily enough. (Not trying to make a point bringing that up, it’s just an observation)

The toolbelt is the same mechanic we’ve always had, but adding five more skills to it is just as much dev work as something like adding one new F to another class, so I wouldn’t call that laziness.

However, I do think the actual new TB skills themselves are kinda lazy, they’re basically all just a dropped field. The mortar kit alone covers most of the gyro’s F skills. If the new toolbelt skills were diverse and interesting, I’d strongly disagree with you, but they’re not so all I can really say is you may have a point. Personally, I think the hammer looks amazing and most of the traits look pretty good, so I’ll probably take the hammer and my same old engie kits, thus becoming “just an engie with a hammer”

(edited by Arioso.8519)

in Engineer

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Function Gyro is an insane new mechanic. Its simple but awesome and opens up tons of new gameplay.

in Engineer

Posted by: TsukuZankaze.6951

TsukuZankaze.6951

Honestly? Function Gyro seems pretty good to me. Why would a specialization revolving around locking enemies down want to sit there and stomp/revive? Sure, we could have gotten a fuel mechanic or a “Drone Bay” instead of a toolbelt when spec’ing into scrapper, but Function Gyro fits the purpose of Constantly putting pressure in a fight. I mean i have speculated about a Apothecary specialization with a Apothecary Satchel kind of mechanic, but the same type of mechanic here would be dull in my opinion. Scrapper fits the bill because normally we go in for “Safe Stomps” which require time and effort to set up, this way, we can “Safe Stomp” using a drone (Which can be traited with Stab) while we pound faces in and lockdown other would-be revivers or stompers.

in Engineer

lorddarkflare.9186

The function gyro is as much of a new mechanic as the new thief dodges.
That’s neither an argument for or against your point, for what it’s worth. But thieves are having the exact same complaint about their new dodge, that is isn’t a “real” class mechanic.

And technically, we got FIVE new F skills.
They’re from the new utilities, but adding in five more skills is just as much dev work as something like adding one new F to another class, so I wouldn’t call that laziness.

*However, I do think the actual new TB skills themselves are kinda lazy, they’re basically all just a dropped field. The mortar kit alone covers most of the gyro’s F skills. *

The function gryo is also literally an f skill, funnily enough. (Not trying to make a point bringing that up, it’s just an observation)

Not true at all.

-Reconstruction Field: AoE Protection + Water Field
-Defence Field: AoE Reflect
-Bypass Coating: AoE Superspeed
-Space Capacitor: Damage + AoE Stun + Lightning Field
-Chemical Field: AoE Poison + Poison Field
-Detection Pulse: AoE Reveal

Only the bolded two need any work and chemical field is only singled out because Mortar already technically does the same thing.

(edited by lorddarkflare.9186)

in Engineer

TsukuZankaze.6951

Chemical Field i think is in an OK spot. PvP wise, Chemical field into Rocket charge or Electro whirl. or if you have Shredder Gyro use that. Poison is very undervalued, and poison fields more so. drop this on a point, and anything unlucky enough to get downed on that point will be harder to revive and easier to stomp via Funtion gyro. Bypass coating should either have a small oil slick for knockdown, or maybe a 1-2 sec evade due to the “Bypass” in its title.

in Engineer

Posted by: Atheismo.5164

Atheismo.5164

Every example you listed is an extension of the class mechanic (virtues, adrenaline, shatter effect, etc). Engineer’s class mechanic is toolbelt skills.

Every other elite spec got 4 utilities + 1 heal + 1 elite. Engineer gets that +6 toolbelt skills, which is exactly what you’d expect. The only other thing Scrappers could have gotten (without breaking their design) is weapon swap instead of toolbelt skills.

in Engineer

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

I remember them mentioning that Drones will perform the Tool abilities for the Engi if they are Scapper.

Such as a Drone throwing the Grenades tool skill for Engineer instead of the Engi throwing the grenades.

this would give Engi room to double task so they never have to stop using their skills to use their tool skills.

in Engineer

Arioso.8519

Not true at all.

Only the bolded two need serious work.

I wasn’t so much speaking on the usefulness as the “work” and visuals.

Almost all of those toolbelt skills recycle visuals from other skills and have no new animations, so it smells a little bit of Dev Crunch Time.

I will disagree that that the Reconstruction field doesn’t need work. Between that and the actual gyro, they’re already woefully underpowered next to the healing turret. (again…) Note that when Jebro made a build he went right back to the healing turret. It’s got a longer water field than the healing turret, which is nice but you have the same longer water field on the Mortar, and you still get the protection on the healing turret with the trait, so you get just as much if not way more out of the turret on a lower CD.

Turret wins. I wish it didn’t though.

The lightning field and stun are useful as heck though, I’m not saying it isn’t. And the reveal on 20 seconds will shut a lot of things down.

The spec itself will grant engineers the ability to do EVERY field/finisher combo in the game solo with the sole exception of dark fields so it’s pretty powerful.

Basically, what I’m saying is some of the new toolbelt skills are indeed very useful, but none of them are terribly impressive.

in Engineer

lorddarkflare.9186

Not true at all.

Almost all of those toolbelt skills recycle visuals from other skills and have no new animations, so it smells a little bit of Dev Crunch Time.

I will disagree that that the Reconstruction field doesn’t need work. Between that and the actual gyro, they’re already woefully underpowered next to the healing turret. (again…) Note that when Jebro made a build he went right back to the healing turret. It’s got a longer water field than the healing turret, which is nice but you have the same longer water field on the Mortar, and you still get the protection on the healing turret with the trait, so you get just as much if not way more out of the turret on a lower CD.

The lightning field and stun are useful as heck though, I’m not saying it isn’t. And the reveal on 20 seconds will shut a lot of things down.

The spec itself will grant engineers the ability to do EVERY field/finisher combo in the game solo with the sole exception of dark fields so it’s pretty powerful.

*Basically, what I’m saying is some of the new toolbelt skills are indeed very useful, but none of them are terribly impressive. *

I suppose that is true if your put their utility aside.

As for the healing gyro, well, that one was doomed from the start. It is almost impossible to introduce a heal skill more effective than healing turret without it being overpowered.

in Engineer

TsukuZankaze.6951

Not true at all.

*Basically, what I’m saying is some of the new toolbelt skills are indeed very useful, but none of them are terribly impressive. *

I suppose that is true if your put their utility aside.

As for the healing gyro, well, that one was doomed from the start. It is almost impossible to introduce a heal skill more effective than healing turret without it being overpowered.

While Medic Gyro does have its downsides, it has its ups too. its toolbelt combined with Rocket Charge is a 4k heal on top of protection. 2 its a heal over time and effects allies. In theory, it could tick for 6.5k on a 30 sec which isnt bad, but for what its worth, is ok. I personally think it fits scrapper if your going for a sustain type of build. backpack regen, rapid regen, dolyak runes, bunker down and regen might be good with this. potentially a passive regen of well over a thousand at peak and burst healing might top you off pretty easy.

in Engineer

Arioso.8519

After thinking about it, I still think Medic Gyro will still be near useless by itself in most of the game, but for PvP, In a 1v1, 1v2 or maybe even 1v3 setting with the engie as the bunker, Medic+Bulwark might actually be very good in combination if the two gyros are capable of healing and protecting each other. They might be able to keep each other alive long enough to give you some extra sustain.

in Engineer

Posted by: Lite.3819

Lite.3819

The hammer by itself is the new advance mechanic. The gyros seems like it’ll be useful for some niche builds but what will make or break the scrapper is the 5 skills on the hammer.

For all the other professions a new weapon is nice to have. For engineers, it will be a completely new playing style, similar to a dd and staff elementalist. To take hammer you will have to give up the short cc rifle and the high conditions cover ranged pistol and reflecting shield. You will have completely new strength and weakness.

Simply put, if the hammer isn’t godlike in melee, the scrapper will be scrapped.

Engineer – Street Rag (Black Gates)
Current Build

(edited by Lite.3819)

in Engineer

TsukuZankaze.6951

After thinking about it, I still think Medic Gyro will still be near useless by itself in most of the game, but for PvP, In a 1v1, 1v2 or maybe even 1v3 setting with the engie as the bunker, Medic+Bulwark might actually be very good in combination if the two gyros are capable of healing and protecting each other. They might be able to keep each other alive long enough to give you some extra sustain.

Possible, but remember you kinda want a person to destroy your Gyro’s. when it dies, it dazes, and thats kinda our job. Its going to be fun trying to figure out baiting tactics with gyros due to the fact that their is a consequence for focusing and killing it in team fights. Bulwark is definitely the best Gyro by far due to that daze mechanic anyways. Pop bulwark gyro when bursted, it dies causing aoe daze, possible lightning field, thats your signal to start the CC train. Medic Gyro is more of a bunker idea anyways, heal over time with other passive or active effects like Super elixer, Elixer shell, Backpack regen Ect. will act as a good sustain system for a bunker scrapper. i see that spec going Inventions: 2-3-2 Alchemy: 2-3-3 Scrapper: 3-1-(1 or 3) depending on needs. as long as superspeed/regen/swiftness are up your probably not going to die.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Gyros feel like they are the easier and beginner friendlier version of the engis. You know you can use your heal or cleansing gyro if you can’t handle the HT or EG…

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Possible, but remember you kinda want a person to destroy your Gyro’s. when it dies, it dazes

Or removes one stack of stability. :/

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in Engineer

Posted by: Voramoz.6790

Voramoz.6790

THEY DID NOT SHOW FUNCTION GYRO! For all you people championing it, it has a close range 750 just over pistol range. AND THEY DID NOT SHOW IT! An ability that should be comparable to orher Elite Specialization holy crap mechanic like Berserk Mode, Wings, dodges. AND THEY DIDN’T EVEN SHOW IT!

in Engineer

Posted by: Yakubyogami.7586

Yakubyogami.7586

You DO realize that with the exception of maybe the Elementalist (maybe), the Engineer is the most complicated class in this game, right?

Sure, you can go Turret build and just drop turrets, autoattack with your rifle and go play with your dog, but if you want you can kit out and do pretty much anything with an Engineer. In fact, the number one complaint I hear about Engineers is that they are too complicated

And you’re complaining because ANet didn’t make us MORE complicated? No one else is being made special, they’re just getting an extra layer of complication on already simple classes

in Engineer

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

YAY we are getting ai stomps… hope there is an option to turn that off.