POLL: How are we doing?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Hello everyone,
some friends of mine found a poll in the ranger subforum about rangers in general. The same was done in thief subforum and so I want us to do this in here.
It is just to see how you guys feel about engineer as a whole class.

http://goo.gl/forms/r02G6wT6fM

answers: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1p2U3BrzNjEzsoW6z5ekNCNTjatogIiAsflYHKRBFpf0/viewanalytics

(edited by Kodama.6453)

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

Added another question to the poll.

If you guys have any suggestions what to ask in this, just tell it in here.

in Engineer

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

No love for alchemy LOL, its by far our best condition clear, no wonder people have issues with condis.

in Engineer

Posted by: Epoch.5396

Epoch.5396

Pretty interesting looking at the results.

I really wish there was a box to explain why i disliked MDF but the data gets a bit opinionated then :P

Still the synergy with bunker down would have been aamazing.

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

Added a question box for the reason of disliking of MDF, we will see how this will turn out. ^^
Thx for your input anyway.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

on the scarlet briar part was it supposed to say loud or are you loading moaning?

As for Condi’s we have plenty of cleansing, the only problem is the tradeoff. I rarely load much if any up outside healing turret because I defer to other things. Which is why I’m just not a big fan of this games PVP, too many counters, good play only gets you so far, go into a fight against a condi user without ample cleansing and you’re toast, likewise go in with condis against someone who has a bunch of cleansing and you’re useless.

As for healing builds, I just feel like we were changed in a way that involves a lot more work and funky mechanics all ending up in a worse or at best equal footing to the old setup. So it’s harder to use and takes more works but just doesn’t feel worthwhile. And, Med kit… don’t get me started. Pure healing skills in this game should not require channeling but I’ll stop there.

in Engineer

Epoch.5396

No love for alchemy LOL, its by far our best condition clear, no wonder people have issues with condis.

Ye lol

Engi “We need more condition cleanse!”

Poll “Do you use alchemy or Elixirs?”

Engi “No!!”

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Engineer

GrandHaven.1052

Ye lol

Engi “No!!”

Precisely! Although I will admit alchemy isnt the best thing vs condi bombs. But is admirable in most cases.

in Engineer

Posted by: santenal.1054

santenal.1054

Kodama, maybe you should post the link of the result in the first post, that way people dont have to do the survey every time they want to look at the results.

(edited by santenal.1054)

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

@santenal I’ve done, sry for this.

in Engineer

Posted by: paladinecho.3024

paladinecho.3024

ELIXIR INFUSED BOMBS RAWR! I wish you woulda put the thing in about the 10% Healing Power to attack power converter.

in Engineer

Posted by: NineLives.8725

NineLives.8725

This poll worth nothing since people who don’t play engi will answer kitten just to see the results.

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

This poll worth nothing since people who don’t play engi will answer kitten just to see the results.

Again: sry for this, I added a link for the results at the first post.

in Engineer

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

Seeing how Engi vs Engi is in the poll, we can conclude that the voters are above average in skill level. This is important to keep in mind when looking at Engi vs the rest, especially how almost everyone have problems with mesmers and elementalists.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Gave my feedback too – really really good work! ANet should look into it!

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Nirvana.8659

Nirvana.8659

Ye lol

Engi “No!!”

Precisely! Although I will admit alchemy isnt the best thing vs condi bombs. But is admirable in most cases.

Alchemy is harmless against condition BOMBS.
Try to go face to face against a condi\celestial necro in pvp , or even worst , against perplexity cancer necro in WvW to understand what “condition BOMB” means.

There are condi rangers, condi thieves,condi eles,even a simple 1 condi spam like burn guardian can melt you even if u use elixirs…with 1 kind of condition only.

This in 1vs1,but consider that in WvW small scale(roaming in small groups) or sPvP middle point fights Engy is the MOST feared enemy,the consequence is youmare getting focused and you can experience conditions from multiple enemy,and elixirs are not enough to deal with it.

That told,to go play a semi-efficent condi clear build with elixirs,you must run 2 elixirs in utility,leaving you with only 1 kit or 2 kit if you use mortar too.Is it enough to handle a fight?
My ideal setup is 2 kits and 1 elixir(utility slot only).

That’s why we have problems with Condis….be FORCED to run multiple kits to be efficient.That leave less space for elixirs.
Elixirs effect are lackluster to be justified in a build aside from the single condi dispels.
If for example an elixirs would grant condi dispelled+(boons or any of their side effect like immunity or quickness etc)+1200 HP regen(warrior shout style) things could be different.

Also,elixirs dispels 1 condi per elixir,that mean in order to clear multiple condis you have to thrown multiple elixirs,all with their cast time,animation time,praying you won’t get stunned or dazed in the while.

The interesting data I see in that poll,is the awesome consideration we have for med kit lol.

I’m more surprised about the off hand pistol reowork data,I was expecting a larger “total rework” about it considering the #4 reliability (80% of the time is a “miss”), and the absurd 30 sec CD on #5(a no sense long cd considering the effect and the duration of the skill).

I apologize for my english.
Engineer : Charliengine
Engineer : Brother Thompson

(edited by Nirvana.8659)

in Engineer

Epoch.5396

Ye lol

Engi “No!!”

Alchemy is harmless against condition BOMBS.
Try to go face to face against a condi\celestial necro in pvp , or even worst , against perplexity cancer necro in WvW to understand what “condition BOMB” means.

There are condi rangers, condi thieves,condi eles,even a simple 1 condi spam like burn guardian can melt you even if u use elixirs…with 1 kind of condition only.

This in 1vs1,but consider that in WvW small scale(roaming in small groups) or sPvP middle point fights Engy is the MOST feared enemy,the consequence is youmare getting focused and you can experience conditions from multiple enemy,and elixirs are not enough to deal with it.

That told,to go play a semi-efficent condi clear build with elixirs,you must run 2 elixirs in utility,leaving you with only 1 kit or 2 kit if you use mortar too.Is it enough to handle a fight?
My ideal setup is 2 kits and 1 elixir(utility slot only).

That’s why we have problems with Condis….be FORCED to run multiple kits to be efficient.That leave less space for elixirs.
Elixirs effect are lackluster to be justified in a build aside from the single condi dispels.
If for example an elixirs would grant condi dispelled+(boons or any of their side effect like immunity or quickness etc)+1200 HP regen(warrior shout style) things could be different.

Also,elixirs dispels 1 condi per elixir,that mean in order to clear multiple condis you have to thrown multiple elixirs,all with their cast time,animation time,praying you won’t get stunned or dazed in the while.

The interesting data I see in that poll,is the awesome consideration we have for med kit lol.

I’m more surprised about the off hand pistol reowork data,I was expecting a larger “total rework” about it considering the #4 reliability (80% of the time is a “miss”), and the absurd 30 sec CD on #5(a no sense long cd considering the effect and the duration of the skill).

You are saying there isnt enough cleansing to handle a bomb but your not using elixirs your using 2 kits(probably not EG) mortar and healing turret(im guessing) Thats 4 items that could potentially be affected by Alchemy (although mortar is probably best :P )

So although i appreciate what you are saying its in reference to your experience with 2 kits then mortar and probably healing turret.

This small caveat is essential to understand. You are choosing to not equip the cleansing options and then state that we dont have enough cleansing. (which is what we were laughing about in the original post).

What you actually want is more cleansing on individual skills, where at the moment it is spread over many skills and if you don’t slot them all and use them quickly your stuffed. I 100% agree with you by the way, 1 Skill and some passives should be enough but they aren’t at the moment.

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

(edited by Epoch.5396)

in Engineer

Epoch.5396

Poor med kit

Bet that dev is proud of his work heh.

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Engineer

Posted by: lokimut.6475

lokimut.6475

Why am I the only one who always use the Med Kit?

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Honestly I think our condition cleansing is fine. Aside from a few outlier builds like condi mesmer and burn guardian, we handle most of them adequately. What’s striking about this is that many think we’re suitably fine in terms of general survivability, and only mesmer and elementalist are the professions people feel have the deck stacked against us.

We all know d/d elementalist is a bit too strong and is probably due for a pretty swift nerf. But with them out of the picture, condition builds will be the only ones that effectively counter us.

So is our lack of condition cleanse really a problem? I feel like that’s the one thing that really keeps us in check.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Nirvana.8659

Ye lol

Engi “No!!”

blah blah.

You are saying there isnt enough cleansing to handle a bomb but your not using elixirs your using 2 kits(probably not EG) mortar and healing turret(im guessing) Thats 4 items that could potentially be affected by Alchemy (although mortar is probably best :P )

So although i appreciate what you are saying its in reference to your experience with 2 kits then mortar and probably healing turret.

This small caveat is essential to understand. You are choosing to not equip the cleansing options and then state that we dont have enough cleansing. (which is what we were laughing about in the original post).

What you actually want is more cleansing on individual skills, where at the moment it is spread over many skills and if you don’t slot them all and use them quickly your stuffed. I 100% agree with you by the way, 1 Skill and some passives should be enough but they aren’t at the moment.

I said “my ideal build is 2 kit 1 elixir” for a reason….atm it’s IDEAL,not factible(my utility bar is elixir H + elixir B(or elixir U/C)+ toolkit +e-gun + mortar.More condi dispell than this….is hard to achieve as engy.

Since last balance update , I’M FORCED to full elixier build , elixir gun included………
I’m forced to do it also because healing turret overcharge (cleansing burst) is bugged and does not reset with AMR,so i have even less cleansing.
Yet,i can’t survive a 1vs 1 against a condi spam roamer,condispam little skirmish,condispam PvP fight on point most of the times.
Not asking to be immune to condis,asking to be able to displell a condi bomb in less than 6 seconds(while taking dmg and geting disabled).

As i already told,with 5 condis on me i need to throw 4/5 elixirs….and while i’m doing it i can easly get disabled(fear,knockback,stun,daze etc) .
Dispell a condi bomb using elixir with all animation time+cast time is not efficent enough.
Use elixir gun #5 is slow as hell.Elixir gun #4 #2 and mortar #5 are elixiers and don’t dispell conditions….
The most efficent elixir i tested in that situations,was elixir C , but,how much utility does it give?
What if you equip elixir C and you have to fight a Power or Hybrid enemy on sPvP point?
You have one less utility…that’s why i say elixirs sould be better rounded with some more appealing side effect in addition to boons(that can be steal , converted into condi,give enemy %dmg,etc).

OP sorry for my offtopic .

(edited by Nirvana.8659)

in Engineer

Posted by: Nieguen.6235

Nieguen.6235

The results are freaking funny such as the question about the cleansing conditions: 50/50
but what is the most dreaded is to fight against condi. (such logic^^)

Engineers are usually better than the engineer they face (so many awesome engi in PvP for sure).

As we already knew med kit is completely kitten. (I still don’t even understand how it could have been thought as a successful concept or how it could have been QA tested).

We agree that gadgets should get some love as well as turrets (since the nerf to the ground).
We agree there is enough condi application possible.

As it comes with the turrets nerf, supply crate is the less used. (understandable ^^)
The questions of fight: against the revenant, it is quite funny (No experienced players or do they played so much against OP revenant in PvP who only get few weekends to know the mechanics of the class ? )

(edited by Nieguen.6235)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kireak.8023

Kireak.8023

I think its very difficult for the poll to provided a good answer. The problem isnt really one skill alone, sure some might be suboptimal but most are fine.

The problem after the patch is that in order for us to gain something (say condition cleanse) we have to fully commit to it. This rekittens in that in almost all of the builds you either end up with no defense or no damage.
Earlier you could take the 10-20 points you wanted from a tree to give you that little extra survivability without having to sacrafice all of your damage for it.

Ontop of that with the trait stats removed its extremly difficult to find balanced builds. The old celestial builds wont have enough power, the old rabid builds wont have enough health etc. Ontop of that one of our bread and butter conditions bleeding got nerfed into the ground hurting our hybrid builds even further.

It feels like jack of all trades master of none is somewhat dead.

in Engineer

Epoch.5396

Ye lol

Engi “No!!”

blah blah.

I said “my ideal build is 2 kit 1 elixir” for a reason….atm it’s IDEAL,not factible(my utility bar is elixir H + elixir B(or elixir U/C)+ toolkit +e-gun + mortar.More condi dispell than this….is hard to achieve as engy.

Since last balance update , I’M FORCED to full elixier build , elixir gun included………
I’m forced to do it also because healing turret overcharge (cleansing burst) is bugged and does not reset with AMR,so i have even less cleansing.
Yet,i can’t survive a 1vs 1 against a condi spam roamer,condispam little skirmish,condispam PvP fight on point most of the times.
Not asking to be immune to condis,asking to be able to displell a condi bomb in less than 6 seconds(while taking dmg and geting disabled).

As i already told,with 5 condis on me i need to throw 4/5 elixirs….and while i’m doing it i can easly get disabled(fear,knockback,stun,daze etc) .
Dispell a condi bomb using elixir with all animation time+cast time is not efficent enough.
Use elixir gun #5 is slow as hell.Elixir gun #4 #2 and mortar #5 are elixiers and don’t dispell conditions….
The most efficent elixir i tested in that situations,was elixir C , but,how much utility does it give?
What if you equip elixir C and you have to fight a Power or Hybrid enemy on sPvP point?
You have one less utility…that’s why i say elixirs sould be better rounded with some more appealing side effect in addition to boons(that can be steal , converted into condi,give enemy %dmg,etc).

OP sorry for my offtopic .

Ye i know what your saying but(IF) you come out of it, your buffed to high heaven and the enemy are on cd. Elix Heal on a 20 sec cd with AMR aint bad and the toss is ok. Forced into elix and alch may suck but thats a failing in the state of the game. Not this class.

We end up with better surviability than most other classes cept the obvious few and its probably not those ones we need to aim to emulate as the bat is swinging.

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Engineer

GrandHaven.1052

Poor med kit

To be fair he is a dev we have never heard of and might actually be kinda new! He was given both Engi and Ranger, and look where they are… Go figure.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Wow, great poll! Interesting results.

in Engineer

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

Poor med kit

To be fair he is a dev we have never heard of and might actually be kinda new! He was given both Engi and Ranger, and look where they are… Go figure.

Engineer is in a pretty good place right now. Condi engi is absolutely brutal (better than burn guard, and less gimmicky), while power engi is also doing pretty well. The only real problem is fairly poor cleanse, but we have to have some weaknesses. We are probably the toughest to bring down right now, simply because of our hard cc, stealth, invulns, blocking, etc. As soon as they tone down burning a bit we’ll be really strong.

in Engineer

Kodama.6453

We are probably the toughest to bring down right now, simply because of our hard cc, stealth, invulns, blocking, etc. As soon as they tone down burning a bit we’ll be really strong.

I’m expecting engineer to get even tougher in the future with forge. At the last spec rework they took away many defensive traits of the engineer and forge really looks kinda tanky. So I hope we will get some more blocks and other survivability tools. ^^

in Engineer

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Why am I the only one who always use the Med Kit?

I also always use them, used them so much that if i try to use anything else, i will instinctively hit F1 if i want to heal, and that doesn’t work out :\.
No point changing my habits now.

in Engineer

Posted by: Are.1326

Are.1326

I also always use them, used them so much that if i try to use anything else, i will instinctively hit F1 if i want to heal, and that doesn’t work out :\.

The question is, do you ever find yourself using medkit 1# and have you saved someones life with it?

in Engineer

Posted by: lokimut.6475

lokimut.6475

@Are
You can negate all damage from one arrowcart in WvW when you combine Medkit 1 and 2 + Mortar kit 5 + Elixir Gun 5 and Iron Hide from a flame ram.

in Engineer

Nirvana.8659

As soon as they tone down burning a bit we’ll be really strong.

As soon as they tone down burning a bit , we will lose our burning damage too,unless they don’t rework Inceniary Powder giving 3 or 4 stacks instead of the actual 2 stacks to compense the tone down.

in Engineer

GrandHaven.1052

As soon as they tone down burning a bit , we will lose our burning damage too,unless they don’t rework Inceniary Powder giving 3 or 4 stacks instead of the actual 2 stacks to compense the tone down.

Condi ngi is dead. Only reason it works now is because of burning abuse.
Our condition traits are either poor misplaced.
Our other condition application is too unreliable and spread over too many skills.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

The question is, do you ever find yourself using medkit 1# and have you saved someones life with it?

The thing is healing turret is infinitely better than med kit for any sort of group support healing. Med kit is so bad it’s almost as if it should have been an April fools joke, or Anet are just trying to troll ngi players.

It deserves it’s own thread to discuss it’s mediocrity.

How are engies doing in sPvP? Do they see a lot of play, or no play?

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in Engineer

Epoch.5396

Poor med kit

Ye i sounded way too snarky. I meant it in a more “i bet he feels a bit bad” way.
Poor guy

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Engineer

Epoch.5396

Our other condition application is too unreliable and spread over too many skills.

Condition specs from all classes are dead if you take out burning. Although we all feel conditions were boosted in fact it was only burning. Everything else is pretty weak. Stacking 14 -20 Confusion tickles now when it used to melt people. 20 stacks of bleed aren’t bad but ye, we cant do that :P

I am not sure what i would do without burning :P

[wasp]Epoch
Desolation

in Engineer

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

I usually find my self being selfish with it, giving my self Swiftness, resistance, Condi cleanses. I hate that now you got to throw them instead of placing them at your feet, though I have thrown the swiftness and resistance ones towards allies to help them out when they got into trouble.
I sometimes use the spray heal to save a keep lord or those dudes in SW, which makes me feel all fuzzy inside

(edited by BobbyT.7192)

in Engineer

Posted by: The Baws.5164

The Baws.5164

The death blow to the Engi was imo toughness being worthless.

Full rabid or full zerk it doesn’t make that much difference any more, especially in 1v1s in WvW.

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

in Engineer

Posted by: Nieguen.6235

Nieguen.6235

The thing is healing turret is infinitely better than med kit for any sort of group support healing. Med kit is so bad it’s almost as if it should have been an April fools joke, or Anet are just trying to troll ngi players.

It deserves it’s own thread to discuss it’s mediocrity.

How are engies doing in sPvP? Do they see a lot of play, or no play?

I mainly play sPvP, both solo and with my guild (only sPvP oriented), first of all I will usually avoid 1v1 unless it is necessary and rather play team fights / scouting.
But, without boasting, I usually win 1v1 against any prof but I have rather a lot of difficulties against Ele D/D and Mesmers with distract mantra.

I usually play soldier amulet/rifle, sometimes pistol/shield condi (a bit exotic, and not opti for team play)

I feel being a nice support to shut down guys with Elixir X (rampage), and Moa and bringing Stability with elixir B to the team for safe stomp or elixir S. Without being an Ele, I am still feeling that the engi can be a strong bruiser while applying nice amount of damage (but will never be as strong as an Ele).

Over all I enjoy playing my Engi, the update forced us to mainly use soldier amulet and focused our build on a very tanky approach. As a consequence we are more limited on gameplay style. Turrets are useless, ~2 elites work (if not saying 1 from my POV), gadgets are still useless (from the beginning). And it’s a shame we have still so many bugs and more than questionnable choice of designs for the traits (to stay polite).

So… I play the prof because I love having the carpal tunnel syndrome, looking at explosions, feeling a versatile gameplay during fights even if the traits choice is not anymore versatile.

And I hope for the best with bugs fix and hopefully a nicely designed spec (but very worried about the future of the engi in sPvP)

in Engineer

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

The death blow to the Engi was imo toughness being worthless.

Full rabid or full zerk it doesn’t make that much difference any more, especially in 1v1s in WvW.

That is a bit of a pointless argument. group up, it is an MMO, that is kind of the point. Particularly when it is in the context of the game mode designed around large group combat.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ging.6485

Ging.6485

Condition specs from all classes are dead if you take out burning. Although we all feel conditions were boosted in fact it was only burning. Everything else is pretty weak. Stacking 14 -20 Confusion tickles now when it used to melt people. 20 stacks of bleed aren’t bad but ye, we cant do that :P

I am not sure what i would do without burning :P

Basically they switched the roles of burning and confusion, which I am not entirely sure was the right thing to do. Before burning used to keep constant pressure on a target, and confusion was used to spike.

Confusion had the benefits of spiking in that it was fairly difficult to apply properly, it made people wary of which conditions they had on them, and if they had like 10 stacks of confusion on them it made them afraid to even sneeze. Using confusion was playing a mind game with your target.

With burning for spiking there is none of that. Simply make your target waste his initial condition cleanse, then put like 6+ stacks of burning on him and he is dead. I kill people on walls almost instantly in WvW just by using incendiary ammo, incendiary powder, and lobbing a shrapnel grenade at them. 8 stacks of burning, 3-6 stacks of bleeding, 3-6 stacks of vulnerability, they take like 5k+ damage / second, and usually die before they know what even hit then.