Please add auto-attack to Grenade Kit

in Engineer

Posted by: aIJay.8125

aIJay.8125

Is it just me or is having all the skills in this kit be ground targeted AOE’s really painful to play with the constant mindless button spam. Wouldn’t it be possible to change even at least just the 1 skill to a regular auto-attack that throws the grenades at your target.

Everytime i get the underwater fractal and see how the grenade kit behaves underwater i can’t help but go “ kitten now this is how it should be”. It would be so much easier to play and be a tremendous quality of life improvement for engineers.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xruptor.3965

Xruptor.3965

Options → General Options → Fast-Cast Ground Targetting
That will make it so that the skill fires where your mouse cursor is without having to click again.

I highly doubt that they will ever make the Grenade kit auto-attack. First off it would require the skill be locked on a target (which makes no sense for grenades). Secondly it would completely ruin the idea of being able to throw grenades at targeted areas or objects (like walls on in WvW or traps, etc..). I would understand auto-targetting for something like the rifle.. but a bunch of AOE grenades makes no sense. Grenades are supposed to be AOE and conditional in where you want to place them. Having them auto-attack on a single target restricts you to just that target. Also don’t forget that Greandes have air-time. Meaning they still are flying in the air using gravity. That means when you toss the grenades they aren’t going to defy gravity and zip to your targeted player. Instead they will land where the player was standing the moment you fired the grenades.

I actually prefer the targeting as I usually toss the grenades slightly ahead of the person. There are several skills across the professions that rely on ground targetting. You just have to adapt and get used to it. I mean just look at Staff for Necromancer and you’ll see what I mean.

in Engineer

Posted by: jlneedham.8219

jlneedham.8219

If I had a dollar for every single target/auto attack nade post…………

in Engineer

Posted by: Brvtvs.1572

Brvtvs.1572

From a pvp point of view i would hate grenades to be auto attacking, they work great as they are. Switching targets is a ball ache as it with all the AI flying around , mesmer clones, necro minions, rangers pets hell even that rock dog annoys the crap out of me ! I like to put my greandes exactly where i want them and be able to place them at different locations ( i use my mouse pointer to dictate).
for example a poison grenade on a downed enemy while still nuking someone who is running to him without having to switch targets and just hover my mouse over screen is perfect imo

Hobo Judge – Guardian – One Pulse [OP]

in Engineer

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

No auto-attack for grenades, they are ground targetted and should stay that way.

Yes to making Skill #1 a channeled skill so you just have to hold the key down but still aim your GTAoE.

in Engineer

Posted by: SpaceCowboy.1398

SpaceCowboy.1398

Everytime i get the underwater fractal and see how the grenade kit behaves underwater i can’t help but go kitten now this is how it should be".

Well, I totally see your point and agree with you. I too only just want skill #1 use sticky targeting.

However, many don’t unfortunately. They are convinced that they are the Engineer elite bad-kittens that have reached the skill cap with grace and ease. Far be it for me to deny these unicorn riders sliding down their rainbow chute of grenade glory, what would be optimal is a toggle to turn on sticky targeting for AoE attacks. Similar to how you toggle auto-attack on/off, ANet should give us an option to do same for each and every AoE.

That’s probably a big effort, so I doubt we’ll see something like that soon. In the meantime, of course I would love them to change skill #1 to use sticky targeting, but I don’t wish to upset anybody else’s game. Still, I don’t see why having skills #2 – #5 as ground targeting would not be enough ‘area of denial’ for them.

Darmon, Asura Thief | Darmx, Asura Engineer
[EU] Gandara

in Engineer

Posted by: Voxdeus.1034

Voxdeus.1034

Grenade #1 should be auto target/auto attack, the way grenades work under water. The other attacks should continue to be ground targeted.

Engineer suffers from a barrier to entry, which I think is part of why it’s less played and perceived (wrongly, IMO) as being a weak profession. The fact that the strongest kit also requires the most effort and attention to use contributes to this, IMO.

One need only use the grenade kit under water to understand the difference in usability between “sticky” version of Grenade 1 and ground target version. If that offends the sensibilities of certain players, oh well. If you’re half as skillful as you think you are, you’ll learn to overcome only being able to ground target 4 of 5 abilities.

Especially in light of the fact that certain kits like elixir gun and tool kit will probably be buffed or at least streamlined in function, and other issues addressed. Engineers are not in danger of going backwards in power in the near future.

(edited by Voxdeus.1034)

in Engineer

Voxdeus.1034

From a pvp point of view i would hate grenades to be auto attacking, they work great as they are. Switching targets is a ball ache as it with all the AI flying around , mesmer clones, necro minions, rangers pets hell even that rock dog annoys the crap out of me ! I like to put my greandes exactly where i want them and be able to place them at different locations ( i use my mouse pointer to dictate).
for example a poison grenade on a downed enemy while still nuking someone who is running to him without having to switch targets and just hover my mouse over screen is perfect imo

Of course you realize that the behavior you’re talking about, saturating an area with AoE to prevent rez’ing, is actually something that the devs believe is too strong or needs to be toned down. So it’s probably not the best argument.

in Engineer

Posted by: Brvtvs.1572

Brvtvs.1572

Of course you realize that the behavior you’re talking about, saturating an area with AoE to prevent rez’ing, is actually something that the devs believe is too strong or needs to be toned down. So it’s probably not the best argument.

Grenades actually take a bit more skill than most other aoe attacks , timing and targeting is far harder , so i am not worried about my statement

Hobo Judge – Guardian – One Pulse [OP]

in Engineer

Voxdeus.1034

Grenades actually take a bit more skill than most other aoe attacks , timing and targeting is far harder , so i am not worried about my statement

No.

in Engineer

Posted by: mondello.2940

mondello.2940

why are we acting like its impossible to give engis both options? I mean I honestly hate how the first skill isnt an auto attack but i can understand people like it that way… therefore theyd just have it unlocked and it would remain as a ground targeting mechanic… no big deal. Really, though anet needs to do something about this

in Engineer

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

Grenade #1 should be auto target/auto attack, the way grenades work under water.

only one in 5 grenades actually hit? no thx

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

No auto-attack for grenades, they are ground targetted and should stay that way.

Yes to making Skill #1 a channeled skill so you just have to hold the key down but still aim your GTAoE.

Or just make it so if you make grenade #1(or any really) autoattack it actually works that way. You can always disable that and manually use them.
Except it won’t make any difference. You don’t spam grenade 1 in pve and neither in pvp or wvw. It’s a great filler in situations like “I’m not sure I will land my hits so I don’t want to burn important cooldowns”.

in Engineer

Posted by: gartz.7013

gartz.7013

just had every AA made miss in underwater combat….pls don’t

solo cheese engi/ex teef

in Engineer

Posted by: Miltek.2104

Miltek.2104

Granades are throwed in the lob , not in the straight line like underwater.
So it’s impossible to make them working auto-attacks.

Have’ing no aim controll makes it REALY easy to dodge simply by move’ing from right to left, but when you have control (like now) you can predict enemy movement and throw in front of enemy next moveing goal.

So my answer to auto-attack is: Deffinitly not and impossible.
Try to imagine what hapends at 1500 range, it isn’t longbow, granades are slooooow projectiles and lobbed.

Trust me. I’m engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Holy kitten; what a necro! =0

Oh, and just imagine fighting someone at anything more than 500 range. You would miss with every single grenade, if it was an auto-attack.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ryethiel.2637

Ryethiel.2637

Hum… What about adding a 100% increase in velocity to the Grenadier Trait?…

Too much?

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

welp, rangers got read the wind, so I’d like to have this option as well…

but:
nades on a power build:
Shrapnel, short fuse, grenadier… place for “read the wind”?
nades on a condi build:
shrapnel, IP, grenadier… place for “read the wind”?

so IF we get this buff i can not be introduced as trait or we’d need to sacrifice at least one aspect that makes nades that awesome…
and for a regular buff its too powerfull, given how much havoc you could cause if all nades hit to all times guaranteed.
I’d rather have it the way it is right now, else you will see nothing but max range nade spammers all day long in pvp, which is already annoyingly enough to have all these ranger scrubs now in the teams…
if they would at least be effective, but Noooooooo, people would just roll an engi and kitten with it then…

And yes, its a sole PvP issue. In PvE its impossible to not hit your target, given how predictable the AI is, and in wvw its easy enough to bomb walls / zergs / siege with them, which would only point to wvw-roaming which is pvp in a unbalanced nutshell anyways.

keep the nades where they’re at, they are perfectly fine.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: raubvogel.5071

raubvogel.5071

Every other skill has auto attack so grenade kit simply deserves it as well. Its just a mess for players.

Grenade kit is just excluded from auto because they have trouble realising it. If they wouldnt, it would be already in.

(edited by raubvogel.5071)

in Engineer

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

Every other skill has auto attack so grenade kit simply deserves it as well. Its just a mess for players.

Grenade kit is just excluded from auto because they have trouble realising it. If they wouldnt, it would be already in.

1. Get your facts straight before posting.
2. Read the thread you’re posting in before posting.

Number one because they already do have an autoattack underwater. Adding it on dry land probably wouldn’t be that much of a problem.

Number two because the actual reasons are that you would NOT be able to hit anything that’s moving if it would be a normal auto-attack. And THAT would be a real mess for the players.

in Engineer

Posted by: raubvogel.5071

raubvogel.5071

1. Its physics on land and water are different. ie obstacles like a hill etc. Underwater they are trown at the target while on land you have to manually aim on the ground.

2. increase the attackspeed, attack the body like in underwater, reduce damage

k, thx, bye

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Just give us the option to hold down the key for continuing attacks.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

I always hate like grenades miss underwater. Please try to realise aiming underwater anet, please.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I just love these arguments. #1 skill doesn’t do much damage most people choose grenades in a none zerker build from what I’ve seen especially in PVE, they can actually make the #1 skill on this kit a skill that fires off like it does underwater and not affect balance at all but people will keep peddling that nonsense, far be it that Engineers get some equal balance time on this title. smh

“EEEK! Engineers? Being balanced to be as effective as Warriors?! Well I never!” (nose in air)

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Spyritdragon.6048

Spyritdragon.6048

I personally think its also part of the identity of the grenade kit. Grenade kit is ground targetted – thats part of what makes it so special. Its the reason i can function pretty much as a mobile mortar in WvW. Thats why i think it should stay this way. Not only for the identity, but also that it’d totally mess up quite a few engi’s WvW and PvP.
Also, as said before, grenades have airtime. I regularly throw my grenades from close to max distance – 1500 range units away. At this range, it easily takes two seconds before my grenades get to my target, more than enough time for it to walk out of the auto-target. The only reason i still hit these on moving enemies is the fact i can predict where they’re going to be.
Grenades aren’t just about “Oh this is the highest-damage kit.” and using that to dish out insane damage.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

I just love these arguments. #1 skill doesn’t do much damage most people choose grenades in a none zerker build from what I’ve seen especially in PVE, they can actually make the #1 skill on this kit a skill that fires off like it does underwater and not affect balance at all but people will keep peddling that nonsense, far be it that Engineers get some equal balance time on this title. smh

“EEEK! Engineers? Being balanced to be as effective as Warriors?! Well I never!” (nose in air)

It looks like you don’t play an engineer at all …

Talking about PvE:

• grenade #1 is the strongest team auto attack the engineer has and also the strongest ranged auto attack in general
  • grenades are used in zerker and kitten builds in pve
  • underwater the grenades are much weaker since they really miss a lot unless the target is huge and fat (like megalodon)
  • it extremly affects the balance, making noobs a bit better with aiming and expirienced engineers much weaker; either the grenades will not hit a moving target at all or if they calculate where the target is walking to, they would miss anyway much more than they do now (think about guard scepter, mesmer warlock, …)
  • nonesense? heh
  • “being balanced to be as effective as warriors” … the only reason to take a warrior over an engineer in a pt is because of his banners, the engineer is better in everything else

-Ziggy

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

OP, I’ve heard that there are some programable game pads n keyboards out there that let you hold down a button like a ‘turbo’ repeater. May help…

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Isnt this forbidden Blood? ö.ö

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Hmm, IDK, I wouldn’t be surprised… Use at your own risk then?

Guess I won’t be converting my NES Advantage over then.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Engineer

Spyritdragon.6048

OP, I’ve heard that there are some programable game pads n keyboards out there that let you hold down a button like a ‘turbo’ repeater. May help…

Even some gaming mice – i just recently bought a new mouse, and one of the ones i was considering had two buttons indented into the main left/right buttons that made the mouse automatically repeatedly click when pressed.

in Engineer

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Um, you do realize that if you don’t actually select the target, the grenade ‘1’ autoattack could function exactly the same way with the ground target reticule?

This would then satisfy BOTH the ‘veteran’ engineers and the ‘i want spam’ newer and veteran engineers.

The problem is that this is probably a new tech ‘feature’ level item and could be added to all ground AoE attacks. Afterall, engineers aren’t the only ones with a problem targeting with ground AoE…

in Engineer

Spyritdragon.6048

Um, you do realize that if you don’t actually select the target, the grenade ‘1’ autoattack could function exactly the same way with the ground target reticule?

This would then satisfy BOTH the ‘veteran’ engineers and the ‘i want spam’ newer and veteran engineers.

The problem is that this is probably a new tech ‘feature’ level item and could be added to all ground AoE attacks. Afterall, engineers aren’t the only ones with a problem targeting with ground AoE…

Well, the problem with this is that i /do/ want everything else to go to my target :p. As i said, running grenade kit isn’t just about equipping it and spamming the 1 skill. I regularly swap back to my pistol/shield to take two stacks of Defiance off with the 5, or to apply a blind or poison that’s about to do an annoying attack/heal, all of which need targetting.

On top of that, i like to see exactly what conditions are on a specific monster and how much health it has, both of which are pretty hard without selecting it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nemitri.8172

Nemitri.8172

How about they add a feature that reads “crtl+double left click to change this skill from ground target to regular target” bam! problem solved, keeps both camps happy!

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Still for the “hold the key down” idea.