Poll Topic: Are Engineers meant to be two professions?

in Engineer

Posted by: BakBakaa.2453

BakBakaa.2453

This is not a QQ thread.

I have been doing allot of testing for my other thread Engineering the Engineer in this forum and have come across a question I just cannot seem to shake.

Was the engineer suppose to be two different classes?

As I have been using the abilities and seeing their effects I have come across more and more supporting evidence that shows the engineer was two separate but not fully developed classes that got meshed into one class instead and I would like to know how many of my fellow engi brethren are seeing what I have been seeing (or think I am out of my kitten mind).

Here are my observations so far:

• The engineer has many overlapping skills that do the same thing (how many ways to get swiftness do we have?) but then suffers from lack of some effects (stability is a good example). If the engineer was indeed suppose to be two classes I would venture to guess that both of them were incomplete in the same ways and one full class they are now redundant and incomplete in the same ways.
  • The engineer is in and of itself sort of lost in it’s own idea of what it is suppose to be. Are we engineers who use robotics and guns and gadgets and gizmos? OR are we mad scientists who concoct potions of dastardly design to alter the ability and performance of ourselves and our allies?
  • It seems we have allot of combo fields and finishers spread throughout different abilities. We have bomb kit, elixir gun, grenades, turrets, pistol (1), rifle (2) and more.

The main idea in our profession can be split into two professions in my opinion.

The Alchemist and The Engineer . . .

am I spending too much time in the lab or is there something to this ?

Discuss

in Engineer

BakBakaa.2453

If I was you, I would just be happy to have that many options available on the engineer instead of wasting your time with useless theories.

As heartfelt as that reads, I in fact am devoting time to enjoying my class (please see above mentioned thread “engineering the engineer”). As I explained, while being happy with my class I couldn’t help but notice a pattern and was curious if others noticed the same.

Advice about my personal time and efforts is noted. The discussion can now move on to on topic debate.

Thank you,

edit: Oh my bad… from looking at ALL of your other posts I see that you are just a career troll and have not added a single amount of constructive thought to a post you have made. Move along now… the adults are talking here further comments by trolls will be ignored.

(edited by BakBakaa.2453)

in Engineer

Posted by: RoughJaco.3148

RoughJaco.3148

The engineer is a lab chemical engineer, which needs alchemy for the contents of things that go boom, and mechanical knowledge for such things to be lobbed in the enemy’s general direction.

Since all classes in the game have healing, support and control rolled into them, they expanded on those a bit with the self buffing and so on through the alchemic traits.

It’s no more stretched than the warrior also being a proficient archer/sniper (more so than we are), The guardian being both a paladin and a cleric, the mesmer being both an illusionist and a psyonic, the elementalist being both a classic mage and a more priesty one in the water parts and so on.

The duality to a lot of the professions (only the thief feels really cohesive and unequivocal to me) comes from the fact they didn’t want pure support or pure healing classes, so a lot of things normally only support-y or dps-y had to be stretched more than a bit to cover things the stereotype would normally place outside that specific domain.

I think you are spending too much time in the lab
The engineer is simply the gimmicky class of the game, much like shamans were in wow, and as such must have been hard to balance and features some rather unique mechanics more frequently than other professions, and that shows through in the bugs and all.

I don’t think or feel it was a hasty merge of two classes, it’s just a naturally very difficult idea to design by the same standards of some other professions.

It’s a fun class, but one has to accept that it will always be gimmicky and somewhat confused because of it. The upside, or to some the downside, is that it tends to have multiple wildly different playstyles and specs that are sort of viable, with no clear king of the hill spec for any given task.

It’s just the buggiest in the game right now, at least of those I tried, and it’s not evident until you play another to sufficient extent and then go back how seriously it is, and how frustrating that can be (amazing what kind of pain and glitchyness we players can get used to if we tunnel on the same profession for too long ).

in Engineer

Posted by: troptop.9781

troptop.9781

Every comment said was deserved and adjusted to the poster’s mental ability. With that said, the engineer is a very versatile class and has the most interesting options available. My position remains, engineering covers a very large field of development and you should be happy that Arenanet took this into consideration when giving you all these options.

in Engineer

BakBakaa.2453

The engineer is a lab chemical engineer, which needs alchemy for the contents of things that go boom, and mechanical knowledge for such things to be lobbed in the enemy’s general direction.

Since all classes in the game have healing, support and control rolled into them, they expanded on those a bit with the self buffing and so on through the alchemic traits.

It’s no more stretched than the warrior also being a proficient archer/sniper (more so than we are), The guardian being both a paladin and a cleric, the mesmer being both an illusionist and a psyonic, the elementalist being both a classic mage and a more priesty one in the water parts and so on.

The duality to a lot of the professions (only the thief feels really cohesive and unequivocal to me) comes from the fact they didn’t want pure support or pure healing classes, so a lot of things normally only support-y or dps-y had to be stretched more than a bit to cover things the stereotype would normally place outside that specific domain.

I think you are spending too much time in the lab
The engineer is simply the gimmicky class of the game, much like shamans were in wow, and as such must have been hard to balance and features some rather unique mechanics more frequently than other professions, and that shows through in the bugs and all.

I don’t think or feel it was a hasty merge of two classes, it’s just a naturally very difficult idea to design by the same standards of some other professions.

It’s a fun class, but one has to accept that it will always be gimmicky and somewhat confused because of it. The upside, or to some the downside, is that it tends to have multiple wildly different playstyles and specs that are sort of viable, with no clear king of the hill spec for any given task.

It’s just the buggiest in the game right now, at least of those I tried, and it’s not evident until you play another to sufficient extent and then go back how seriously it is, and how frustrating that can be (amazing what kind of pain and glitchyness we players can get used to if we tunnel on the same profession for too long ).

Very well said. Thank you for explaining that in detail. I think you are right. I never thought of the class using the chemicals he needs for engineering as potions!

I still very much enjoy the class and think it is a blast (hehe) to play. I think when you start analyzing every facet of a given thing sometimes you can morph it to something else. Or start noticing things that are not there :P I actually wholeheartedly enjoy being able to be an alchemist/scientist/robotics expert/tinkerer at any given moment. It is what made me put down my necro main and other alts at ~lvl 38 and never look back

in Engineer

BakBakaa.2453

Every comment said was deserved and adjusted to the poster’s mental ability. With that said, the engineer is a very versatile class and has the most interesting options available. My position remains, engineering covers a very large field of development and you should be happy that Arenanet took this into consideration when giving you all these options.

I am glad that you brought something to the table and actually contributed to the post!

That being said… personal attacks based on a topic being brought up that you don’t agree with is childish and can be seen very negatively even if they are not meant that way. There is really no reason for it. Please keep on the constructive side and do not flame unjustly.

Thank you

in Engineer

Posted by: troptop.9781

troptop.9781

I have tried to provide structured and detailed information concerning engineer-related abilities/features that are ‘generally accepted as being issues’ by the masses on this forum when in fact those players just had no idea how such abilities/features are meant to be used. All of that to get replies with unfounded/unproved theories along with a very nice ‘go f yourself’. This might be a reason my comments are now not as friendly as they could be if the general IQ here was over 38. As far as I know, my first reply was in no way a personal attack but I did not think you needed details to understand what I meant. My apologies. May your thread prosper.

in Engineer

BakBakaa.2453

I have tried to provide structured and detailed information concerning engineer-related abilities/features that are ‘generally accepted as being issues’ by the masses on this forum when in fact those players just had no idea how such abilities/features are meant to be used. All of that to get replies with unfounded/unproved theories along with a very nice ‘go f yourself’. This might be a reason my comments are now not as friendly as they could be if the general IQ here was over 38. As far as I know, my first reply was in no way a personal attack but I did not think you needed details to understand what I meant. My apologies. May your thread prosper.

Apology accepted, please know that I am not one of those people who would tell you that. So I hope in the future we can constructively work towards solutions and answer questions.

Anyways. I think the engineer class is great (as I said above) and I enjoy it allot. The diversity of it and how unique it is from other cookie cutter professions is both what excites me about the class as well as confused me in this particular issue I brought up. I was simply over-thinking it and never meant what was said above to come off that I was unappreciative of what the profession was. Something bugged me and I wanted a forum sample of people who also play the class I enjoy to chime in on what they thought about the topic.

My mind is sane again, back to number crunching, power down the nukes, no need to start WWIII, the end.