Portal (Gun)? 2 Skills suggestions

in Engineer

Posted by: Animatus.6197

Animatus.6197

I could totally see the Engineer having a portal type ability, to give someone beyond the Mesmer’s a portal.

2 Thoughts on this:

Mobile Gate: (Utility)
Drop a gate at your location that activates when the 2nd gate is dropped (works just like the Mesmer portal ability but looks more Engineer-ish)

Portal Gun: (Kit) (All for fun in the midst of battle)
Replace skill bar with the following skills:

1. Time Jump: Teleport 600 units forward and create a field of havoc dealing moderate damage to any within 250 of your end location (an auto attack with some skill and fun to it) (short cd, maybe around 5 seconds)

2. Dislocation: Teleport your target to a random location within 600 of their current position. Applies 3 stacks of confusion.

3. Boundary: Create a wall at target location that cannot be passed by any projectiles or units, both foe and friend

4. Gateway: Create a zone that works with “Spacial Transfer”

5. Spacial Transfer: Move yourself and neaby friendly units to the previously created “Gateway”
(Unlike the Mesmer, skill 4 can be shot to a location within 900 of the User, however if User is outside of 1200 from 4 they will not connect and 5 will not activate)

Tool Kit Skills:
Wall of Nothing: (For Mobile Gate) Absorb Projectiles for a period of time in a circle around the user.
Swap: (For Portal Gun) Trade places with your target

None of these are set in stone, just what I would see as a possibility.

(edited by Animatus.6197)

in Engineer

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

I would like a portal gun kit or a teleport. Anet probably feels that “hey, engineers have perma swift, that’s enough mobility” but in most situations, it’s really not. We have few leap-type skills that close distances fast, and our only option for really going fast in combat is Super Speed from the Slick Shoes.

Personally I’d even be fine if they removed perma swift, but only if they gave us strong team mobility support in return, like this.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Now you’re thinking with portals
An interesting idea, but #5 would be way too overpowered. All a WvW siege would need is 1 engineer with a portal gun to portal an entire zerg onto the enemy wall. Perhaps if it was a portal only you can use that gives a few stacks of confusion upon exiting the portal?
And why can’t friendlies pass through #3? Just copy the ward spells that the guardian uses and make it engineer themed.

(edited by Ronin.5038)

in Engineer

Posted by: MentalPause.9183

MentalPause.9183

I could see the portal gun as a racial kit for asura if they were to add something like race/class specific abilities. It would be cool to have a portal like ability.

Fort Aspenwood WvW’er
Officer of Bloodwork [RED] http://bloodwork.boards.net/thread/145/interested-joining-red

in Engineer

Posted by: Maimakterion.5940

Maimakterion.5940

Never mind that we are already broken in the jump puzzle department

in Engineer

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

I was just saying we need a portal gun today! I fully endorse this!

in Engineer

Posted by: soulwblood.1529

soulwblood.1529

not really for a weapon kit. But this is a fantastic idea for an activity! xD

in Engineer

Posted by: Fnarist.8467

Fnarist.8467

How about just a gadget called “Portal Bomb,” where you drop 2 charges, and then detonate them to create a portal. Hah.

in Engineer

Posted by: Haltus Kain.4578

Haltus Kain.4578

3. +Boundary+: Create a wall at target location that cannot be passed by any projectiles or units, both foe >>>and friend<<<

^do not like. WvW jumping puzzles are bad enough without folks from our own server putting walls up that would stop us from completing jumps. Chop the ’and friend’ out of that bit, imo. Too much potential for abuse.

For the same reason, #5 should not port nearby friendly units, but create a wormhole or something they could interact with if they choose.

Also, 4 and 5 could be wrapped up into one ability, much like existing mesmer’s portal enter/exit. I’d say merge em and put something new on the list... once thing that comes to my mind:

Translocate:
Teleport to your target’s location, occupying the space previously occupied by the target; the target’s matter will therefore be displaced, causing damage and confusion.

(anyone else remember doing that in the old unreal tournament games?! )

Anywho, I do like the concept! +1

Haltus Kain [BGV] – 80 Engineer Mesmer – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Haltus Kain.4578)

in Engineer

Posted by: DieMaschinerie.9726

DieMaschinerie.9726

Portal Gun needs to happen

in Engineer

Posted by: StevoSupremo.4037

StevoSupremo.4037

This would be really awesome, but I don’t think we will be seeing additions like this for quite some time =(

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i’d love to see this since i dont really feel motivation to create any other classes

…however, giving the same incomparable to 2 classes is absolutely terrible game design. currently, people will choose to roll mesmers for the simple fact that they have a unique skill thats really useful. giving it to another class takes away the novelty and introduces a competition between the 2.

for example, jump shot / rifle 5 is unique to engi… i wouldnt want it given to another class, because its my unique way of cheating at jump puzzles and exploring parts of the map that werent intended to be accessed. giving it to a ______ would take away the uniqueness and cheapen the skill overall.

plus… shooting a portal would be ridiculously OP and you would absolutely HAVE to keep the same mechanics as mesmer’s. and then its not a portal gun.

if you thought a mesmer hiding in the keep you just took was annoying… well you dont even know how much more rage a portal gun would induce.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions