Possible turret exploit.

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Welp, me and a friend were playing around with turret builds in our arena when we coincidentally discovered some strange and possibly lulzy behavior of turrets. but i don’t know if that one goes under the exploit section since we basically did not do anything that would be otherwise impossible for other players, even tho it is definitively not how turrets are intended to work^^

what we did:
Jumping of a ledge and shortly before activating the turret to be placed.
what it does:
placing the turret midair, making it almost impossible for melee classes to clear them and even a ele meteorshower will be completely ineffective on them since all its projectiles have to hit the ground to do dmg.

This exploit is most effective with rocket and rifle turret (also net-turret) and to clear them now, people have to directly target and range-attack them and/or reflect the turrets projectiles.
Since that requires to look straight up (tested in khylo clock-tower) it makes any player attempting this to easy prey for everybody who is defending the actual point. and if they ignore the turrets, they get killed by the turrets quite effectively, especially since a, in that way placed, turret basically has no blind spot in the whole tower, while being almost unhitable for the treb which explosion radius is too small to hit the turrets below the rooftop, hanging there in midair.

So yea, I know it is definitively not intended to work like this, but is this a exploit?
I mean, turrets always did hover in the air, f.e. when a platform below them disappears like in skyhammer or in the thaumanova fractal at the final boss. And activating skills while jumping is also not an exploiting behavior…

I’d really like a dev / mod to speak up and give clarification on this one whether or not being a exploit. For pvp it is definitively the most lulzy and annoying way to place them.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Reminds me of the iDuellist of the mesmer wich does the same. I don’t think it’s a very hard exploit, wouldn’t even call it an exploit. But definitly worth taking a look at.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I remember in beta, we were discussing this, and the “deployable turrets” trait allowing you to place turrets in odd places. They stated that it was fully intentional, because the game system will only allow you to place them in locations that it is possible for another player to physically place themselves.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Except that DT actually allows for turret placement all over the grid, regardless if its too steep for a player to stand on or not. Wherever you can put down an AoE to, you can place turrets as well…
But now I can hang my turrets mid-air, unreachable for melee only players, almost untargetable since that would require for really odd camera angles for ranged players, and even meteor shower safe since it can not hit them anymore without a solid surface close enough to them.
Also DT requires to be traited for. 2 points I can spend elsewhere now since the trait seems obsolete. Welp, waddaya think mods? Allowed or not allowed?

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Except that DT actually allows for turret placement all over the grid, regardless if its too steep for a player to stand on or not. Wherever you can put down an AoE to, you can place turrets as well…
But now I can hang my turrets mid-air, unreachable for melee only players, almost untargetable since that would require for really odd camera angles for ranged players, and even meteor shower safe since it can not hit them anymore without a solid surface close enough to them.
Also DT requires to be traited for. 2 points I can spend elsewhere now since the trait seems obsolete. Welp, waddaya think mods? Allowed or not allowed?

I just explained to you that a dev already posted here and stated that it is designed to work as it does. I love how instead of a thank you for your reply, you throw out a rebuke. Did you come from the warrior threads?

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

Err, you were saying that deployable turrets does allow odd turret placement ON surfaces, which a dev testified to be intentionally. Thank you for pointing out the obvious.
That has -almost- nothing to do with hanging turrets midair. Last time i checked players are not able to hover, so I guess even tho the dev commented on a thread, discussing oddly placed turrets, he was more focusing on the DT trait, than on mid-air floating turrets that players physically DON’T can place themselves on…
Please link the the thread in question so I get a look on the actual post from the dev, because “Ages ago some guys discussed this with a dev, and they were totally agreeing on this one being allowed” is not a phrase I’d like to risk a ban over.
Meanwhile: watch your language.

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

It’s quite popular in foefire for the mid node. It’s not game breaking but annoying just like anet wanted npc builds to be. Working as intended. Now if only we can get supply crate hovering too.

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Err, you were saying that deployable turrets does allow odd turret placement ON surfaces, which a dev testified to be intentionally. Thank you for pointing out the obvious.
That has -almost- nothing to do with hanging turrets midair. Last time i checked players are not able to hover, so I guess even tho the dev commented on a thread, discussing oddly placed turrets, he was more focusing on the DT trait, than on mid-air floating turrets that players physically DON’T can place themselves on…
Please link the the thread in question so I get a look on the actual post from the dev, because “Ages ago some guys discussed this with a dev, and they were totally agreeing on this one being allowed” is not a phrase I’d like to risk a ban over.

Your being intentionally obtuse and rude to someone who tried to help and answer your question. As already mentioned, this was discussed and replied to by the devs in beta. As well, they have cleared and reset the forums since beta. If you think it is a bug, then report it. There is a system for that. Otherwise, stop trying to be intentionally smarmy to those who took the time to answer your question. If you think posters are making things up, then why ask the general public on the forums and not fill out a bug report or send in a ticket. We have a bug forums section. As well.

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Arantheal.7396

1. The question is yet to be answered.
2. I’m intentionally obtuse and rude to someone who did in fact not help to answer my question and started to be intentionally obtuse and rude to me.
3. The bug already got reported when we discovered it for ourselves. The question IF it is actually a bug or maybe just the most awesome and legit way to place them came later when we discussed this and tried it out further in our arena. That’s why I’m asking here.
4. I’d really like to use that as effective as possible, but a long deleted discussion in the beta-forums that I can’t even link to is definitively nothing valid to defend my kitten if a random mod decides to prune or ban me. And that’s why I’d like a clear – referable – answer from a mod/dev ITT so I don’t have to decide between a tempting but unsure option and a “possible” ban.

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

Yeah, I’d wait for an official response before utilizing it. If it smells like an exploit, it probably is an exploit.

However, threads like these usually spread the exploit (though minor in this case) rather than sending it directly into bug fixes (though you did both). I wouldn’t be surprised if you find midair turrets for a while.

Surprised it hasn’t been deleted by a mod. Shows how often they frequent the engi forums.

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

I don’t think it’s an exploit as much as it’s an issue with the engine! There’s no gravity! Try jumping and placing a bomb! It’ll be placed midair! Try using Flame Blast into a wall! It won’t blow up! It’ll just go through! If you want to do it then do it! If turret Engis were viable in any way, shape, or form then I’d say it’s an issue! But they’re not so knock yourself out! The worst that will happen is that in a few months, they’ll nerf turrets just like they did with Necromancer minions! MM Necros weren’t viable at all and yet Anet still nerfed! Now it’s just a terrible build but people still run it! Crazy! But I love it!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

Possible turret exploit.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Nothing kittens me off more than a loot bag appearing in mid-air where I jumped. Thank god for AoE pickup now.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast