Post your Hammer Ideas?

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kreedz.8127

Kreedz.8127

So with the announcement that classes will potentially get access to most, if not, all weapons in the future, the ones I am most excited about is the Hammer as I feel it fits the class perfectly.

For Hammer I’d like to see the following:

Hammer #1

Clobber
Damage: 290
Range: 130
Confusion: 10 + (1.5 * Level) + (0.15 * Condition Damage) per stack
Applies 1 stack confusion for 3 seconds.

Hammer #2

Overcharge
Damage: 425
Range: 400
Overcharges your Hammers core, shooting out a bolt of lightning at your target.

Hammer #3

Shockwave
Damage: 333
Radius: 240
Knockback: 300
Combo Finisher: Blast
Slam your Hammer into the ground, creating a shockwave that knocks back enemies a short distance.

Hammer #4

Inertial Dampener
Radius: 240
Duration: 4s
Cripple: 1s
Release a dampening field centered around your hammer, blocking projectiles for a short duration. Enemies caught inside the field are crippled as long as they remain within it.

Hammer #5

Flux Inverter
Damage: 180
Range: 900
Swiftness: 5s
Activate your Hammer’s Flux Inverter, pulling your target towards you and granting you and your allies Swiftness.

Let me know what you guys think, and how this might synergise with certain kits.

And post your own Ideas!

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Here’s some I came up with a while back. I didn’t bother coming up with a lot of more nitfiddly balance bits, though.

1: Build And Break – Chain skill; first attack grants a stack of Might, second grants a stack of Fury, last attack inflicts Vulnerability.
2: Rocket Slam – Bring the Hammer down, rocket-assisted. Melee AoE, inflicts Burning.
3: Elixir Strike – Throw an Elixir bottle into the air before sending it flying with your hammer. Inflicts Poison and Cripple to all foes in a line.
4: Either: Drop a net capsule and smakitten with the hammer to damage and Immobilize enemies around you, OR throw it in front of you, smashing it with a sidelong swing to damage the nearest enemies while immobilizing enemies in a cone AoE. Not sure which I like better, so pick one.
5: Build That Wall – Bring up a ground-cast wall similar to Ring of Warding (can’t be passed through by enemies).

Edit: Also, the Hammer is easy to come up with Engineer uses for. In fact, most weapons aren’t difficult – the toughies, in my opinion, are Greatsword, Staff, Scepter and Focus. What the hell are we going to do with those?

(edited by Anymras.5729)

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

You’d be surprised lol..

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

My ideas for hammer are based on it being Rocket propelled.

Skill 1 – Chain Attack-;
Swing; Swing your hammer at your opponent
Swing; Swing it again.
Rocket Swing; Swing your hammer whilst activating your hammer’s propulsion system.

Skill 2
Hammer to the Head-; Activate the propulsion in your hammer and aim for your target’s head. Give them 3 stacks of confusion for 5 seconds.

Skill 3-
Rocket Spin; You activate your hammer’s propulsion sending yourself spinning, dealing damage to foes within range.

Skill 4 -
Belly Smash; You activate the propulsion in your hammer whilst swing it heavily into the ground, emitting a shockwave that cripples foes. Knocked down foes and foes in melee take additional damage. If a foes is knocked down, you blind all nearby foes.

Skill 5-
Hammer Rake; Spin Around with your hammer, knocking all foes around you down for 2 seconds.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Guys please enough with the condition , remember we need more viable direct damage specs…

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Guys please enough with the condition , remember we need more viable direct damage specs…

We do? I thought grenades, bombs, rifle, SD, and FT all scaled well with direct damage. Just because they have conditions doesn’t mean they are condition weapons.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Well ty you Captain Obvious but that’s not the point i’m making. What we need is a pure power dedicated melee weapon , not something with conditions tied into it with a minimum/major trade off of damage since it has side effects.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Grenades ? Hybrid
Bombs? Conditions
Static Discharge? Trait
Flamethrower? Utility kit.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Dirame.8521

Just because a weapon causes conditions does not mean it isn’t a direct damage weapon. Crowbar on toolkit is a prime example. 5k damage crits and 5 stacks of confusion.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

I’ll just put this here:

New Weapon: Hammer “made for the gadget enthusiast, this hammer comes installed with a spring loaded boxing glove, a rocket propelled guidance system for throwing, a magnetic flux inverter to reflect projectiles, a hidden compartment for a swiftness granting elixir that cures movement conditions, and a devastating skill chain that inflicts weakness on foes with the first two swipes and grants retaliation on the final blow.”

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Just because a weapon causes conditions does not mean it isn’t a direct damage weapon. Crowbar on toolkit is a prime example. 5k damage crits and 5 stacks of confusion.

Well thank you also Mr.Obvious…aaaannnd the broken record effect starts.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Our biggest issue at the moment is stability on demand…if the hammer would allow us to stand tall in the toughest moments , it’d be spectacular.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Venthus.6137

Venthus.6137

My image of a hammer-class Engi is entirely different than what most people seem to have… that is, there’s nothing special about the hammer. No hidden gadgets. No secrets. What we have is a glorified slab of metal on a stick, guaranteed to make any broken components work after a few strikes. Or not, nothing’s guaranteed.

All of these attacks, with the exception of the obvious bits, are designed for single combat. Main things I kept in mind was to keep this direct damage-centic and primarily melee while keeping a variety of types of attacks present.

Skill 1, chain attack: A classic one-two, guaranteed to make any component fit.
Round Peg – A quick hit with the hammer head on the upswing; low damage.
Square Hole – A slower, but heavier, downward swing; moderate damage.

Skill 2, leap attack: Getting to the location quickly is a vital part of repairs. Using the haft of the hammer, vault yourself to your location and use your momentum to deal a blow.
Hammer Dive – Targeted, very small high damage AoE, leap finisher.

Skill 3, range-based: With aim honed by years of broken equipment, fling your hammer precisely into their gut.
Fling (short range) – At melee range, moderate damage, short knockback.
Fling (mid range+) – Ranged attack, low damage, interrupts.

Skill 4: Sometimes, you need to put a stop to things.
Hammer Down – A hard downward strike intended to drive the target into the ground. High damage, moderate activation, immobilize.

Skill 5: In many cases, equipment is beyond repair and destined for the scrap heap.
Deconstruct – A rapid series of moderate blows, culminating in a PBAoE high damage blast finisher. (Like a buffed HB.)

(edited by Venthus.6137)

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

OmniWrench Kit:

1: Whack: Hits target in melee with Engineer. High Damage. 10% chance to inflict target with Confusion for 3 seconds. Can be set to Auto-Attack.
2: Throw Wrench: Launches Wrench into a arc in front of the Engineer, striking all targets in a cone before returning to the Engineer. Attack is blockable, but if not blocked, will Knockback the target and Daze for 2 seconds. 15 second cooldown.
3: Rocket Wrench: Rockets deploy from the head of the wrench, launching the Engineer forward into a ramming attack that inflicts Knockdown on targets in his path. Ground targeted. Can carry Engineer over gaps. 20 second cooldown.
4: Random Deployment: A random unlocked Turret is dropped at the feet of the Engineer. 30 second cooldown. Turret drop does not trigger any slotted turrets.
4b: Turret Upgrade: If standing over any turret(s), Random Deployment changes to Turret Upgrade, which channels the Overcharge buff onto the adjacent turret(s) for as long as it is maintained. Overcharging via the Slot Buttons is not possible while channeling Turret Upgrade. Turrets can still be detonated while channeling Turret Upgrade. Channel can be restarted before it completes, but if it is allowed to end, the cooldown will trigger. 30 second cooldown.
5: Magnetized Grab: Loots all corpses within 600 units. +5% higher amount of coins grabbed using this action than direct looting. 30 second cooldown.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Miltek.2104

Miltek.2104

Trust me. I’m engineer

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

Our biggest issue at the moment is stability on demand…if the hammer would allow us to stand tall in the toughest moments , it’d be spectacular.

^ this.

Presently the only reliable source of stability is Elixir X, which as awesome as it can be, locks out the rest of our skills. Skills we rely upon for being in encounters that would call for such a long duration of stability in the first place. For now the only option is pop Elixir X and dive in with CC’s of your own.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: sonja.4810

sonja.4810

Its hard to come up with abilities that still feel like an engineer. Instead of a weird warrior.

Honestly any thing I can up with is a reinvented copy of the Tool Kit, and that is probably why we don’t have the option to wield a hammer.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I agree

My image of a hammer-class Engi is entirely different than what most people seem to have… that is, there’s nothing special about the hammer. No hidden gadgets. No secrets. What we have is a glorified slab of metal on a stick, guaranteed to make any broken components work after a few strikes. Or not, nothing’s guaranteed…

And this is a nice take on the hammer. Rather than it being a tinkered-with gizmo, it’s just another tool of the trade. I like.

Maybe incorporating stability like mentioned by the quote above, probably on the #5 skill for a longer cooldown.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Its hard to come up with abilities that still feel like an engineer. Instead of a weird warrior.

Honestly any thing I can up with is a reinvented copy of the Tool Kit, and that is probably why we don’t have the option to wield a hammer.

Or you just not coming up with any nifty ideas
Watch what Anet does with the hammer , i sure hope it CCs us and gives buffs in the process lmao..anything that functions normally ill be greatly disappointed ..what are we without our common quirks

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

My image of a hammer-class Engi is entirely different than what most people seem to have… that is, there’s nothing special about the hammer. No hidden gadgets. No secrets. What we have is a glorified slab of metal on a stick, guaranteed to make any broken components work after a few strikes. Or not, nothing’s guaranteed.

All of these attacks, with the exception of the obvious bits, are designed for single combat. Main things I kept in mind was to keep this direct damage-centic and primarily melee while keeping a variety of types of attacks present.

Skill 1, chain attack: A classic one-two, guaranteed to make any component fit.
Round Peg – A quick hit with the hammer head on the upswing; low damage.
Square Hole – A slower, but heavier, downward swing; moderate damage.

Skill 2, leap attack: Getting to the location quickly is a vital part of repairs. Using the haft of the hammer, vault yourself to your location and use your momentum to deal a blow.
Hammer Dive – Targeted, very small high damage AoE, leap finisher.

Skill 3, range-based: With aim honed by years of broken equipment, fling your hammer precisely into their gut.
Fling (short range) – At melee range, moderate damage, short knockback.
Fling (mid range+) – Ranged attack, low damage, interrupts.

Skill 4: Sometimes, you need to put a stop to things.
Hammer Down – A hard downward strike intended to drive the target into the ground. High damage, moderate activation, immobilize.

Skill 5: In many cases, equipment is beyond repair and destined for the scrap heap.
Deconstruct – A rapid series of moderate blows, culminating in a PBAoE high damage blast finisher. (Like a buffed HB.)

I love this concept, but would offer a few changes.

1) Round Peg > Square Hole: Should have the ability to repair turrets like Smack. It’d be nice to be able to repair turrets on demand without having to sacrifice a turret slot.

2) Hammer Dive: Range 600-700. Similar to Rifle 5, but only damaging on the landing.

3) Fling: Short range (melee) is good, but when you say interrupt it needs some control effect so I’d recommend a 1 sec Daze. Range 900.

4) Hammer Down: What you describe is equivalent to Hammer 5 on Warrior, but immobilize doesn’t fit the description. We don’t want to completely duplicate skills so…

Still fitting with the Hammer Down name could switch to a combo field.
“Thrusts hammer into the ground kicking up a cloud of dust.”
No damage, Combo Field Dark, and a Blind. (field and blind duration would have to be scaled to the cooldown)
And it works with your overall theme of nothing magical about the Hammer. Just a large blunt object.

5) Deconstruct: Too easy for someone to just dodge. You could make this work similar to Flurry on Warrior’s Sword Burst, which immobilizes, since I’d imagine an ability like this would have you rooted in place.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I don’t care about the four other skill, but Skill 1 should repair turrets.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Venthus.6137

1) Round Peg > Square Hole: Should have the ability to repair turrets like Smack. It’d be nice to be able to repair turrets on demand without having to sacrifice a turret slot.

I thought about that, but decided it would be kind of weird to incorporate a direct synergy with utility skills on the base weapon. Though, on the other hand, it does kind of fit with the rest of the side comments I made, about just hitting things to fix them…

4) Hammer Down: What you describe is equivalent to Hammer 5 on Warrior, but immobilize doesn’t fit the description. We don’t want to completely duplicate skills so…

Still fitting with the Hammer Down name could switch to a combo field.
“Thrusts hammer into the ground kicking up a cloud of dust.”
No damage, Combo Field Dark, and a Blind. (field and blind duration would have to be scaled to the cooldown)
And it works with your overall theme of nothing magical about the Hammer. Just a large blunt object.

Is it? I never ran a hammer war. The image I had from this was in the vein of the WB cartoons where they get hit over the head and shoved into the ground. This would also roll directly into original version of my #5 if you’re still on the offensive. I like it though; an AoE blind would be useful, fits with some of the control elements of the hammer and works thematically. Also, it gives a third class access to dark fields.

5) Deconstruct: Too easy for someone to just dodge. You could make this work similar to Flurry on Warrior’s Sword Burst, which immobilizes, since I’d imagine an ability like this would have you rooted in place.

Ideally, it’d be against a stationary target or a mass of targets— this skill hits hard, but it suffers from the long cooldown of #5 and the difficulty of actually landing the entire hit. I’m thinking the final AoE blow does something around a third of the total damage, making it vital that your targets don’t flee. At least it has a consolation blast finisher though.

Maybe my creativity was just running dry at this point, since it really is just a buffed Hundred Blades with an increased cooldown to match. Still, I rather like the idea of a tiny, furious Asura with a hammer the size of its body venting a rapid series of rage-empowered blows on a console that didn’t work (because somebody tripped over the cable and unplugged it)…

Edit: Actually, on [whatever the next number is] thought, I’m sold on the idea of #1 repairing turrets.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Dirame.8521

I’ll just put this here:

New Weapon: Hammer “made for the gadget enthusiast, this hammer comes installed with a spring loaded boxing glove, a rocket propelled guidance system for throwing, a magnetic flux inverter to reflect projectiles, a hidden compartment for a swiftness granting elixir that cures movement conditions, and a devastating skill chain that inflicts weakness on foes with the first two swipes and grants retaliation on the final blow.”

Where is that from?

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

I’ll just put this here:

Where is that from?

He mentioned earlier (maybe in another thread?) that he was pulling it out of his kitten . Not a bad idea, though.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Obscure One.4357

I’ll just put this here:

Where is that from?

He mentioned earlier (maybe in another thread?) that he was pulling it out of his kitten . Not a bad idea, though.

Indeed drawn from thin air and fired at the forums like every round ever shot from a gun in GW2.

Though I had an interesting thought on a hammer concept that wouldn’t use a new set of skills at all:

New Gadget: Magic Stick “This new gadget randomly equips the user with a Hammer (Guardian) or a Conjured Lightning Hammer.”

not that I particularly enjoy RNG skills but having more of them, maybe even enough to fill out the utility bar, and add a trait that all RNG skills grant 5 seconds of Stability (20 second cool-down) that may make room for some truly weird and off the wall play styles.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Venthus.6137

Though I had an interesting thought on a hammer concept that wouldn’t use a new set of skills at all:

New Gadget: Magic Stick “This new gadget randomly equips the user with a Hammer (Guardian) or a Conjured Lightning Hammer.”

not that I particularly enjoy RNG skills but having more of them, maybe even enough to fill out the utility bar, and add a trait that all RNG skills grant 5 seconds of Stability (20 second cool-down) that may make room for some truly weird and off the wall play styles.

That WOULD be interesting… could setup an entirely new branch of engineering— we’ve got Charr engineering aesthetics for most stuff, but we can use the often-unpredictable (explosive) Asura engineering for skills with unpredictable effects… like your magic stick which either turns into a Conjured Lightning Hammer or a Spirit Weapon hammer. (Not exact copies of those skills, but something along those lines.) Just a bit of random idea vomit.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Ugh, a whole skillset based around RNG? The very thought makes me a little queasy.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Well Engineers in general make you queasy lol , we are the embodiment of Random!

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

There’s ‘random’ in that it’s hard to guess what they’re going to do (or are capable of doing), and then there’s ‘randomly-generated numbers,’ where even the person using the skill doesn’t really know what it’s going to do.

Pretty much the only ‘random’ thing we really have, as far as I can tell, are the elixirs that use RNG, anyway, and a pack of kittenes for animators, who thought it would be a good idea to implement a self-stun on a stunbreaker.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

There’s ‘random’ in that it’s hard to guess what they’re going to do (or are capable of doing), and then there’s ‘randomly-generated numbers,’ where even the person using the skill doesn’t really know what it’s going to do.

Pretty much the only ‘random’ thing we really have, as far as I can tell, are the elixirs that use RNG, anyway, and a pack of kittenes for animators, who thought it would be a good idea to implement a self-stun on a stunbreaker.

Both.

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Both.

Both what? We embody both?

I’d actually have to disagree.

See, we might have sort of pseudorandom as flavor, given that we have such disparate sets of skills, and one of our skillsets includes a disproportionate amount of RNG, but I’d call Staff Mesmer the embodiment of randomized gameplay, with four of its weapon skills (#1, #2, #4 and #5) all whipping out randomized boons and conditions. We have ‘Mad Scientist,’ they have ‘everything we do with this stick is random.’

Mesmers, in my experience, are far more chaotic to fight than we are, besides, and chaos is the result of randomness, isn’t it?

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Xenus.3940

Xenus.3940

I still remember when someone who was alpha testing leaked the engineer hammer and guardian longbow skills. Too bad I didn’t save it. All I recall is the 1 skill. It was a standard three hit chain skill. The first and second hit dealt damage and built “heat” and the third skill unleashed the heat.

ok after a bit of research I found them but I can’t post them as I would be banned

(edited by Xenus.3940)

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: ikiturso.4026

ikiturso.4026

Hammer pure power cut the condi crap off from it!

Post your Hammer Ideas?

in Engineer

Posted by: Montgomery.1986

Montgomery.1986

Pile driver: Does whatever a pile driver attack would do (I was thinking of daze, but then it would have a long cooldown and when doing the piledriving motion, you’re not likely to hit someone on the head, so a cripple attack.) When targeting a turret, it will drive it into the ground providing 1000 added toughness. (or whatever.)

(edited by Montgomery.1986)