Power Scrapper Roam WvW Build Recomendations?

in Engineer

Posted by: PolleyPocket.9162

PolleyPocket.9162

So, I have been lurking on and off the forums, using the search bar and different websites available, trying to find up-to-date builds to try for solo/small party roaming as Hammer Scrapper in WvW.

I am currently running a rough version of the marauder/soldier durab rune build I found on metabattle but I don’t think it works best. I get ran over by almost everything…

If anyone can chip in and help a fellow Engie that is trying to have fun in WvW till Path of Fire hits our game, it would mean the world!

[JEDI] Yoda Smyth – Scrapper Engie- Vabbi EU
Emporer Palpatine – Tempest Ele

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Roaming is always a bit of an issue with hammer scrapper, since you can’t really stay on top of your enemy. So you either need extra mobility (tools+rocketboots), or some ranged options (nades+explosions).

I’d try some setup like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdEQFASlcThSuYfXw+KQ+FLTGl4zUABw4HUBnF9fn37NA-T1BBQBnUJYf0BAgLAgGV+1uHAQmU/hf7PQKgRnpB-w

tanky af, but carries a decent punch and can stay on top of your enemies.
also, your decision if you rather have faster reloading toolkit skills, or the auto-stunbreak and blind immunity + fury + might from reactive lenses. comes with a 40sec cd, tho

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Magira.6390

Magira.6390

I play a modified Quickness Scrapper from Metabattle.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdEQFASnUUBlXh9dBGpCEqilJjKc7Smwi+vr7AX8ZKgAA-T1RGQBnb/B0oDQiKBLoyPodBAIk6PA4BAQKg8UGB-w

A little weak in condi cleansing, but Tower Lords solo are no problem.
Rocketboots and Sneak Gyro give me the opportunity to leave any fight I lose. Besides, I can easily disappear with the Sneak Gyro when I run into a zerg. The Bulkwark Gyro and the Quickness are extremely strong against the alpine tower lords.

(edited by Magira.6390)

in Engineer

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

I dont think the meta has moved too much from that Soldiers/Marauder build. It just runs new armour stats like commanders rather than soldiers. And you will see Elixir C or Purge Gyro being slotted a lot more. Because there is so much condi out there in small scale/roaming WvW now.

But it still plays the same stack might bruisery style. And hinges on the synergy between Perfectly Weighted/Mass Momentum/Final Salvo. The might tick duration from Mass Momentum is decent once you are up around 60% boon duration. Then you just pick up some might stacking food or sigils.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in Engineer

Posted by: Sobin.5947

Sobin.5947

I’m still trying to learn how to play / find a build that works for me, which i’m sure the first part is way more important.

It seems like even with maurader/soldiers I either get steamrolled by a single person or i take absolutely no damage. I’ve tried gyros but they just seem to instantly pop

Any tips?

Also, i seem to have an issue with keeping swiftness up. If i do hammer 5 + heal turret / eg 4, then all that stuff is on CD if i happen to see an enemy

thanks!

in Engineer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

If by steamrolled you mean a warrior or thief bursts you down, that is going to happen with those classes no matter what. Condi classes ignore toughness, too.

Warrior in WvW is pretty broken, since their healing signet and healing traits are not nerfed unlike in spvp.

in Engineer

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

Also, i seem to have an issue with keeping swiftness up. If i do hammer 5 + heal turret / eg 4, then all that stuff is on CD if i happen to see an enemy
thanks!

Most builds will run either tools for streamlined kits or inventions for mecha legs for mobility.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in Engineer

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

If by steamrolled you mean a warrior or thief bursts you down, that is going to happen with those classes no matter what. Condi classes ignore toughness, too.

Warrior in WvW is pretty broken, since their healing signet and healing traits are not nerfed unlike in spvp.

Actually the berserker burst counting as 1 adrenaline bar (instead of previous 3) is active on WvWvW as well. That is a massive 3-to-1 nerf unless you manage to land all your berserker bursts in a row. Nevertheless I feel the balance will once again have a massive shift with PoF and the new elite specs.

PS. I still roam with a power hybrid core engineer using rifle and medkit. Don’t laugh. I am probably the only one in the game doing it. And yes, I die a LOT, because my build has zero blocks, evades, reflects or invulnerabilities.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I’m still trying to learn how to play / find a build that works for me, which i’m sure the first part is way more important.

It seems like even with maurader/soldiers I either get steamrolled by a single person or i take absolutely no damage. I’ve tried gyros but they just seem to instantly pop

Any tips?

thanks!

I’m learning to be more effective roaming myself, here is what I have learned. My playstyle is to look for 1v1, 1v2, maybe small groups if I can pick someone off and RB away. I’ll join small skirmishes if I see them but I generally stay away from zergs. I run to camps when map chat calls out small groups attacking them. That’s the scale I am commenting for.

I don’t find a lot of use for gyros in WvW. I try to stay very mobile and they can’t keep up is the biggest thing, but also like you said they will just die in bigger fights. Other utilities shine more IMO.

You talked about stats, but what about build? You need to check some boxes for a good roaming build: burst damage, escape/chase, stun break, damage avoidance, condi clear.

Tools traitline will help with your speed issue, assuming you’re using a kit which you should. I also find Tools traits are more useful overall than Inventions in my build so I take that out. You definitely don’t want to be stopping to blast fields for speed in WvW.

I use a mix of Commander’s and Berserker’s armor. Commanders gives a lot of boon duration which is good for Elixir U in my build. Berserker’s helps me stay dangerous.

I linked my build below it has worked pretty well for me. Open to any improvements, like I said I’m no WvW guru just sharing what I landed on that’s made me most effective at roaming. Elixir X is also good in this build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdQQFASnUUB9dhlXBubBEqilJjac9qgzS8ZKgAg+vr79G-TFCEABtphgJlfJcBA4X9H43fAgHAA76A2SJIpAiYrF-w

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Sobin.5947

Any tips?

thanks!

I’m learning to be more effective roaming myself, here is what I have learned. My playstyle is to look for 1v1, 1v2, maybe small groups if I can pick someone off and RB away. I’ll join small skirmishes if I see them but I generally stay away from zergs. I run to camps when map chat calls out small groups attacking them. That’s the scale I am commenting for.

I don’t find a lot of use for gyros in WvW. I try to stay very mobile and they can’t keep up is the biggest thing, but also like you said they will just die in bigger fights. Other utilities shine more IMO.

You talked about stats, but what about build? You need to check some boxes for a good roaming build: burst damage, escape/chase, stun break, damage avoidance, condi clear.

Tools traitline will help with your speed issue, assuming you’re using a kit which you should. I also find Tools traits are more useful overall than Inventions in my build so I take that out. You definitely don’t want to be stopping to blast fields for speed in WvW.

I use a mix of Commander’s and Berserker’s armor. Commanders gives a lot of boon duration which is good for Elixir U in my build. Berserker’s helps me stay dangerous.

I linked my build below it has worked pretty well for me. Open to any improvements, like I said I’m no WvW guru just sharing what I landed on that’s made me most effective at roaming. Elixir X is also good in this build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdQQFASnUUB9dhlXBubBEqilJjac9qgzS8ZKgAg+vr79G-TFCEABtphgJlfJcBA4X9H43fAgHAA76A2SJIpAiYrF-w

Hey thanks for the awesome reply!

I’m currently running mauraders/soldiers, based on that metabattle build with runes of durability. I currently run inventions instead of tools but ill swap back and see how it works out.

I’m tempted to swap my soldiers to commanders (seems super expensive) but it seems like everyone has praise for boon duration, which i can’t say i totally understand yet. I know it extends the duration of boons (duh) but is there one specific boon that we try to have max uptime up?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you need burst damage for wvw and aside from theives being squishy, i feel like i have issues taking most people down.

Theives: If i even get them low enough, they run away – heal – and come back with a million conditions that i feel like i can’t keep cleansing

Mesmers: So many kitten illusions, sometimes. If i try to kite them, im not doing any damage to the main mesmer and he continues to wail on me. If i run in, it seems like i just die faster

Necromancers: Same story as above, they can range me and when i go in to attack i end up being inside what seems like a million traps or i can sit at range and tickle them with elixir gun

Warriors/guardians – Super tanky, seem to block lots, if not most of my stuff, i’m lucky if i drop them to half haha

I know its a learn to play issue for the most part, I completely understand i’m terrible but i am looking to get better. I tried doing Spvp and im better at smashing buttons there, but i also use the metabattle build with the mender amulet and it just plays nothing like WvW 1v1s

When fighting someone with a lot of condition damage, should i be using elixir gun 5 and leap finisher from hammer 3 for that light aura?

Thanks!

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Again I’ll preface this by saying I’m no expert…

Mesmer: Sussing out their trickery has always been a must. It should come pretty quick when you notice movement and animation patterns. In WvW I find they invuln… A LOT. Be patient and make them blow everything they have before you use everything you have. When they stun you and clones start running toward you it means burst is coming and you will die if you don’t get out of it. If you survive that you have a good chance to kill

Necro: Tough right now, lots of condis. Take advantage of their horrible mobility, if you have Elixir X toss it on them when they go to shroud then burst them down.

Thief: Engi has always been a good counter to Thief, I still find that to be true. Out last initial burst, bait them into overextending, then stun a burst them down. Either elite choice is nice for keeping them out of stealth for a moment.

Warriors have always been strong, once you make them pop both Endure Pains it’s not so bad. Just be patient.

Guards are annoying, avoid burst if it’s DPS build then you can burst to win they don’t have great defense. If healing just ignore.

Biggest thing overall is just be patient and mindful of what skills you have available and when to use them. Don’t button mash, be calm. Not every Target is a good Target, if they go too tanky just ignore

Yes elixir gun is great against condis so is adaptive armor

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

(edited by Adamantium.3682)

in Engineer

Posted by: Lahm.7056

Lahm.7056

Mesmer: Sussing out their trickery has always been a must. It should come pretty quick when you notice movement and animation patterns. In WvW I find they invuln… A LOT. Be patient and make them blow everything they have before you use everything you have. When they stun you and clones start running toward you it means burst is coming and you will die if you don’t get out of it. If you survive that you have a good chance to kill

Necro: Tough right now, lots of condis. Take advantage of their horrible mobility, if you have Elixir X toss it on them when they go to shroud then burst them down.

Thief: Engi has always been a good counter to Thief, I still find that to be true. Out last initial burst, bait them into overextending, then stun a burst them down. Either elite choice is nice for keeping them out of stealth for a moment.

Warriors have always been strong, once you make them pop both Endure Pains it’s not so bad. Just be patient.

Guards are annoying, avoid burst if it’s DPS build then you can burst to win they don’t have great defense. If healing just ignore.

Biggest thing overall is just be patient and mindful of what skills you have available and when to use them. Don’t button mash, be calm. Not every Target is a good Target, if they go too tanky just ignore

With the current state of balance, you can’t even afford to clash with some professions with just how stupid things are, so this advice is actually more dangerous than beneficial.

The best way to tell an enemy build, is to look at their foods, if the enemy is a condi Mesmer or a Necro (doesn’t matter if power or condi) just stealth away and move on, you don’t want to fight those builds are their current state since you’ll get destroyed by sheer boon corrupting and/or consequent condi bomb unless the enemy is a complete amateur and is specced/geared poorly but I wouldn’t try unless very confident in a very disadvantageous match-up.

Thieves are the biggest lottery, you can not die to them but you sure as hell not gonna kill any semi-decent thief, why you ask? Resetting potential. You can spend any amount of time against one of those gimmicky thieves that let you think you have an upper hand, only to have your kitten handed to you right after. If you kill a thief on a power scrapper hammer build then the thief is terrible, that’s it.

Warrior and Guardians is a battle of attrition, you stand a good chance if you can block/evade their strongest bursts, good knowledge of their builds is one step closer to victory, like it was said, wait out Warriors endure/defy pains with your own tools once they pop since its when the warrior will be most aggressive, however most warrior builds have more mobility than you have so sometimes it’s not gonna be easy to pin them down even having the upper hand.

I’m not gonna cover Revenants and Rangers since those are not as common, however Bunker Druids are a thing in the roaming scene and you’ll get outlived 9/10 due to superior sustain.

It’s definitely not easy being a power scrapper right now, everything does a lot of damage and is agile somehow, unless you have rocket boots, it’s gonna be very hard to stay on top of things.

Lancelot – Guardian – Deso – Hyperreal [PAL]
- Proudly not going to go DH -
I’m looking at you, Rev..

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I’d prefer:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUB9dhFpCubBEqilJjac9qgzS8ZKgAg+vz7+G-TVCFQB6TliLqEEJKDUoSPB8AASjOADpuC72fAAXAARBlRA-w

You can mostly troll anyone with this build even if you can’t overcome them. It’s generally too hard to overcome tanky necros/druids and not worth the time, but the former can’t follow you at all.

Probably better as a small group than solo taking on larger groups as you can harass people endlessly and the group superspeed for blowing up gyro can help you run people down, secure stomps etc, stealth AND reveal abuse. Only Guardians and Necros are going to take you on in melee though definitely do not try to rub your face against those. You will die.

I always like the burst from Acid Bomb. While nobody will stand on it voluntarily, it has a fairly reasonable cooldown and often will finish them off when they’ve blown everything trying to run away from you. Rocket Boots x2 past them and then an acid bomb in front of them will often throw them off especially if they’re already panicking.

Proc sigils are used to artificially boost the pitiful AA of Elixir Gun. There are times when you are forced to use it because there’s nothing else you can use when they’re out of hammer range.

You might want to switch bulwark for cleanse gyro, or elxir Gun for Tool Kit/Elixic C depending on how nasty condis are. RB has generally replaced TK for me though since there is no need for me to worry too much about losing distance…. usually. I have no interest in anything that bugs out more often than not.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

at the very least i suggest not ever looking at soldier for anything ever any more. wanderer, commander, marauder all bring more to the table than soldier and can be mixed to provide similar defensive stats with extra other things. exotic wanderer can be easily obtained from dragons stand or the hot story and marauder is craftable. soldier wont let you kill anyone competent and will keep you running away from nonnoobs. and with all the durability rune and might stacking type build recommendations flying around, getting that extra boon duration is absolutely critical.

personally i dont like that durability runes make condi necros into a hard counter, but i havent found a better way to play power scrapper… and ive migrated more to an extremely troll and easy to play thief build after playing the kitten out of engi for years cuz scrapper just isnt great in wvw imo and core builds arent competitive against elite builds in general.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Sobin.5947

You guys are awesome! I swapped my soldiers to commanders (expensive as heck) but i’m not actually sure what benefit im getting? It only seems to be like a few measly % more boon duration, which doesn’t sound impactful but than again – im a noob.

I put in rocket boots and the mobility i gained is pretty sweet, i’m unsure about tools vs inventions though and the green elixir vs the purple one (sry not in game to see name )

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

4 stat combos give about 10% more overall stats than 3 stat combos
(ie the amulet will have 408 total vs 373)

while its harder to direct all of your stats in a proper useful direction because the available combos are generally not all pure and especially in wvw you usually want to tweak your build for certain stat benchmarks, its hard to argue against simply having more. so when you can make use of all 4 stats from a particular combo, youre gonna be better off using as much as possible.

with soldier vs commander, you can think of commander as a better knights. personally i always liked mixing in knight and cavalier for my power engi builds prehot (and pre ferocity). its more offensive than soldier, so if you struggle to survive in a zerg, id recommend switching to some wanderer (which is a better soldier).

what you get out of the boon duration is extra protection, stab, and might uptime. more regen. more fury. both offensive and defensive perks as long as you use boons.

keep in mind that generally in mmos, 10% of anything extra is usually the difference between a close loss and a roflstomp.

in Engineer

Magira.6390

Maybe you should also say that killing an opponent is not a big move for your server score.

So it makes sense to choose builds that also allow for fortified camps, tower and keeps (Yes, you can do it with a Golem) solo.

This helps your server, especially with nightcapping. With a bit of luck you can turn a whole map for your server.

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

if you want to go solo fortified things, the most important part of your build will be having 15-18 defensive wvw infusions equipped and the guard masteries. if you have that, you can be pure zerk or viper and just plain kill lords faster.

in Engineer

Magira.6390

I’m working with it now:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUBFpilXB+dBEqilJjS8ZKgAg+vz7APc7SmwC-TlBEQBwb/BA8AAIpSwEcBA8n6PTU5XAAEAH9oH9oH9odzbezbezbWGg8pA-w

(above I mistakenly posted a PVP build.)

Bulkwark Gyro is extremely strong against the alpine towerlords because they carry out a ranged attack. Along with Electro Whirl you can reflect the ranged attacks twice. And the Quickness gives you the more dps you need.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wulf.5431

Wulf.5431

Find it really hard to get a build that is a good all rounder with scrapper. Love hammer, but it’s really hard to get good condi cleanse, mobility, and a kit or two. I love tool kit and rocket boots, but then I have either no condi cleanse or range.

in Engineer

Posted by: EUmad.7645

EUmad.7645

For mesmer in my opinion it depends a lot from the build he is using : power mesmer are not so hard to kill , condi mesmer are stronger in 1vs 1.
If they are using scepter u have be really carrefull to avoid their block on scepter, if they use sword they have longer cd . When they are on staff look at where their clones are becouse usually they dance till you face them to shatter in your face .
Mesmer usually have not got stability so stunning them is quite boring and blast gyro for example follows always the real mesmer and ignores the clone . They are strong but a scrapper can handle them ( i usually roam with a condi mesmer and good scrappers are a pain to fight )