Prediction for Turrets!

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

What do you guys think the buff to turrets will be ?

my predictions:

What i believe won’t be happening

• They will not buff toughness/hp at the risk of becoming PvE Tanks.
  • They will not scale with power because people would just use them to point hold on sPVP
  • They won’t be made to follow your targets for sPvP purposes.
  • They will not be lowered on the mob’s agroo formula in fear that players will just kite around while turrets kill

What i think will be happening

• Increase the turrets damage by 10% ( 15% if they feel generous )
  • Moderate fix to cool down to make up for the fact that they get destroyed 3s after being summoned
  • increase the healing done by tool kit

what do you guys think, is a 10-15% damage increase enough to make you want to try turrets ? what are your predictions ? discuss

please leave negative comments out and lets have a productive discussion! thank you

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Well you heard stream.. Less dmg more " utility ":-P

Turrets need complet redesing to be useful imo.
- static turrets in game where mobility is just evering is wrong, turrets need to be mobile, some kind of drones.
- they need rly unique ability – if you want do dmg or control you have better options (ofc they can nerf other skills to increase turret glory). Ability like seeking stealth enemies, fire flares what make all projectiles in range miss or turret what will clear ground AoEs like traps ect.
- New grandmaster trait can able chose same turret into all 3 utility slots (like 3 rifle turrets)
- turret kit is also great idea but again static turrets? No thx.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: irakai.6891

irakai.6891

Dear OP, if you don’t want turrets as point control, what exactly do you want them for? Honestly, if ANet are willing to give people the mobility that they’re crying for, I say just rename them bots and make them reskins of necro pets, because they’re essentially the same thing.

The fact that we have traits for precise deployment, repair and increasing the longevity of turret shows that they intended turrets to be a semi-permanent fixture that engineers would want to fight around. The long cooldowns are there to discourage mobility and act as a balancing mechanism – the turret engineer decides his territory, and he has to accept the consequences of that decision rather than pick up his turrets and redeploy on a whim.

Turrets done right would have been an alternative bunker playstyle – it forces attackers to either kill the engineer out of range of his turrets, or burst him down in his nest before his turrets do too much damage.

Well, what about balance then?

It doesn’t really matter if you made turrets insanely strong in WvW because the sheer overwhelming number of AoEs will crush however many turret nests pop up.

It also doesn’t matter in sPvP because a team can easily overcome dumb immobile structures, even if they had the same HP as a player – the Engineer(s) casting those turrets would have to give up traits and skills to use them, and they’d be definitely easier to kill and a lot less mobile than a bunker build.

Think of it: Turrets would be strong 1v1 or even 2v1 if the enemy is forced to fight on point – but then there’s many, many ways to force someone to fight off point. 3v1 and above, even if the turrets were invincible the engineer would be pulp in seconds because he’s not specced to be a tanky bunker. And since the turrets won’t be invincible, they’ll likely get pulped along with the engineer through collateral AoE damage.

In PvE however, strong turrets would trivialize open world content outside of boss fights. But then again, Engineers already trivialize most PvE content with perma-swiftness/vigor and bombs/grenades so I for one don’t see the point. Hell, I wouldn’t even give up my super speed and infinite dodge and effective dps at any range to have super strong turrets. I’d probably farm a lot slower that way.

So I really don’t see why we can’t have tanky and powerful turrets. It feels like that was what ANet was going for anyway before they chickened out and made them completely weak so they didn’t have to worry about balancing them.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

Turret is supposed to be a good bunker strategy for SPVP. in the SPVP interview they clearly said this, and the thumper is getting AE cripple on its attacks to make it better for kiting players while holding a point. they also said that through the overcharges an engineer should be able to hold a point and use the over charges to replace the necessity for stunbreakers and other so called “needed” utilitys.

This is pretty much all they said regarding it so i have to assume thats their plans for them. So HOPEFULLY they WILL get a portion of our toughness/power…even if very small. Rifle is made to do damage. outside its over charge…. its a joke atm that you can spit on to kill, so hopefully its a significant buff and not just 10%.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

overcharge abilities need to be instant for starters…

And than almost all the cooldowns relating to turrets need to be lowered.

When those 2 are done, they can look to what other buffs seem fitting.
But those 2 really need to change or turrets will never be good enough.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

to make it better for kiting players while holding a point.

How does one kite a player while holding a point?

Won’t kiting said player, bring you outside the radius of the objective? If you try to kite him, while in the circle; that just won’t work since they could just stand directly in the middle and circle turn with you.

Anyhow, Turrets are teribad and will continue to be teribad after the “fix”.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

irakai.6891

to make it better for kiting players while holding a point.

Won’t kiting said player, bring you outside the radius of the objective? If you try to kite him, while in the circle; that just won’t work since they could just stand directly in the middle and circle turn with you.

Depends on how large is the point. Also, kiting doesn’t just involve running. You can knock someone away, blind them, knock them down, etc.

If turrets are useful and super tanky so they don’t die to collateral damage from a 1v1 or 2v1, then ideally you’ll want to keep the enemy within turret range (on point) to whittle them down while they try to kill you or get you off point.

Look, if you play bunker specs in sPvP you’ll know intuitively how turrets can fit in to point defense. It has a lot of weaknesses, sure, but every bunker build needs a weakness to make things fun.

EDIT: edited “chin .k in the armor” to “weakness” because racism.

(edited by irakai.6891)

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Zinwrath.2049

This is sort of a self defeating rage post…you dont know what they’re doing. Yet you made up your mind that they will be “teribad”. This makes your post seems merely angry and irrational.

Never the less. Thumper turret could mean a few things.
A ) keep them from kiting or escaping YOU.
B ) AE knock back off the point.
C ) cause them to move slowly across the point while taking damage.
D ) means they will be not just knocked back, but crippled as well.

Also, the point isnt exactly tiny, if a theif/warrior etc is trying to mellee you having them crippled may buy you a little time to make a few feet away which could be just enough to buy you CD time on a knockback or heal.

Seriously, its the real talents and genius’s who take a few seemingly worthless items and find a way to turn them into something amazing. Try to be innovative instead of a self defeatest.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Amos.8760

Amos.8760

I think most people don’t want lower CDs on turrets in order to move them, they want lower CDs so they can replace them when they inevitably and quickly die. I would hate turrets that follow me around – that’s not what they’re about. If they are to be a part of a fight from start to finish, like minions, pets, or other profession’s abilities, they need to either have high health and die when the engineer does, or have a shorter CD (maybe the countdown starts upon deployment and not destruction?), or something to that effect. As they are right now, I can’t justify using up a utility slot for a turret that gets off one or two hits, then dies and I can’t use it again for the rest of the fight.

My turret is so much better at this game than I am.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Sparky Sights.9174

Sparky Sights.9174

I’d love the choice of having one of the turrets mobile while the others aren’t, or have them all mobile but only one usable at a time, excluding the healing turret of course.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

What do you guys think the buff to turrets will be ?

my predictions:

What i believe won’t be happening

• They will not buff toughness/hp at the risk of becoming PvE Tanks.
  • They will not scale with power because people would just use them to point hold on sPVP
  • They won’t be made to follow your targets for sPvP purposes.

Unfortunately until these happen, I don’t think Anet has a chance in kitten to make turrets viable. Thanks to the last patch instead of having turrets made out of paper mâché, we now have turrets made of rotten wood. However turrets still do not scale with power, which makes them weak as kitten in level 60+ areas. Lets not forget that IF you go for a full turret build you are sacrificing a lot, for something mediocre. You lose stun breakers, condition removal, and overall survivability. Which means they need to take all 5 turrets and combine them into a Kit. (Kudos for whoever came up with this)

What i think will be happening

• Increase the turrets damage by 10% ( 15% if they feel generous )
  • Moderate fix to cool down to make up for the fact that they get destroyed 3s after being summoned
  • increase the healing done by tool kit

what do you guys think, is a 10-15% damage increase enough to make you want to try turrets ? what are your predictions ? discuss

please leave negative comments out and lets have a productive discussion! thank you

To answer your question, the 10%-15% increase in damage doesn’t make up for everything I previously stated. IF they were to increase the damage and make the turrets into a kit, I would definitely give them a second chance. Kitten, if they just combined all the turrets into a kit, I would use them.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

(edited by Specterryu Quipter.8412)

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Anet’s philosophy bothers me. The OP actually got it right. We won’t get this or that buff because we MIGHT RISK being very efficient here or there, being tanks here, or DPS there. The problem is that their vision of ‘versatility’ doesn’t reward us at all, at least in dungeons.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

google.3709

Few things…

The “what won’t be happening” its based on stuff an actual dev explained on the ranger forums, and gave as reason why Anet don’t want something that’s not controlled by the player to be really tanky or do too much damage.

if you think about it.. how much toughness/hp would a turret need to withstand a couple of hits from a thief/warror on sPvP ? a shatter from mesmer or to survive mild AoE in WvW for more than a fraction of a second ? alot and now place that on PvE where mobs do less damge and attack slower..

and also, if you’ve followed anet update module, they do not change base numbers but rather increase by %, currently on mist golems, rifle turrent does 317-377 damage heavy – light armor.. a % inclease, unless its 100%+ will not change a thing about turrents

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

This is sort of a self defeating rage post…you dont know what they’re doing. Yet you made up your mind that they will be “teribad”. This makes your post seems merely angry and irrational.

Never the less. Thumper turret could mean a few things.
A ) keep them from kiting or escaping YOU.
B ) AE knock back off the point.
C ) cause them to move slowly across the point while taking damage.
D ) means they will be not just knocked back, but crippled as well.

Also, the point isnt exactly tiny, if a theif/warrior etc is trying to mellee you having them crippled may buy you a little time to make a few feet away which could be just enough to buy you CD time on a knockback or heal.

Seriously, its the real talents and genius’s who take a few seemingly worthless items and find a way to turn them into something amazing. Try to be innovative instead of a self defeatest.

I’ve been an Engineer since last May, Been here since the second BETA and had my fair share of ideas. I’ve commented, debated, and hoped for Engineer changes.

After all that, Turrets are still horrible. They die too easy, horrible AI that glitches at times, backwards Tool Belt skills, have a higher than normal recast, and their Tool Belt skills (When stowed) are lackluster for their cooldowns.

They’re supposed to be a decent threat because they are made for point defense and thus have no mobility. However, at the moment, it’s more time efficient to go to your opponents house and smack them over the head with your keyboard than it is to use anything but a Net Turret.

So until the aftermentioned problems are fixed, Turrets are still teribad and a poor choice versus other Utilities.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

google.3709

also..

for the people talking about point holding in sPvP, please try things before you speak so you have a base… have you guys considered that a 3 second cripple will not do anything to anyone? currently the turret has a 50s cool down, and 30s for special skill which you cannot time and a radius of 240..

so for the current theory to work, you would have to kite your enemy at meele range of the turrent for it to hit, and keep him there for at least 3 second for 380-440 damage and 3 second cripple, and if you use the special ability, you will hit for a mind blowing 1k damage and 1s knock down.. assuming it had survived this long. and this only works more melee. 2/8 classes, and thief 2 shots you so that leaves warrior’s incredible AoE swing with GS..

this skill work work best to keep ranger’s pet busy at best :S

would you take this skill over tool kit which has AoE cripple/bleed on a 10s cool down, confusion, pull and block ?

(edited by google.3709)

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

irakai.6891

also..

for the people talking about point holding in sPvP, please try things before you speak so you have a base… have you guys considered that a 3 second cripple will not do anything to anyone? currently the turret has a 50s cool down, and 30s for special skill which you cannot time and a radius of 240..

so for the current theory to work, you would have to kite your enemy at meele range of the turrent for it to hit, and keep him there for at least 3 second for 380-440 damage and 3 second cripple, and if you use the special ability, you will hit for a mind blowing 1k damage and 1s knock down.. assuming it had survived this long. and this only works more melee. 2/8 classes, and thief 2 shots you so that leaves warrior’s incredible AoE swing with GS..

this skill work work best to keep ranger’s pet busy at best :S

would you take this skill over tool kit which has AoE cripple/bleed on a 10s cool down, confusion, pull and block ?

My answer to your question is a resounding NO.

My question to you is, why are you even asking the obvious? Those of us who talked about using turrets for sPvP are simply theorizing how they may be useful once appropriately buffed.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Musph.6109

Musph.6109

Kitten all.

I’ve gotten my hopes up for the last few patches that engineers and rangers will get some much needed love. While I still play, because I do enjoy GW2 – I no longer play the two classes I fell in love with at beta.

I’m hoping they make turrets similar to everything else an engineer has – ‘eh, could be bettter, could be worse’.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

Well you heard stream.. Less dmg more " utility ":-P

Turrets need complet redesing to be useful imo.
- static turrets in game where mobility is just evering is wrong, turrets need to be mobile, some kind of drones.
- they need rly unique ability – if you want do dmg or control you have better options (ofc they can nerf other skills to increase turret glory). Ability like seeking stealth enemies, fire flares what make all projectiles in range miss or turret what will clear ground AoEs like traps ect.
- New grandmaster trait can able chose same turret into all 3 utility slots (like 3 rifle turrets)
- turret kit is also great idea but again static turrets? No thx.

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolf.5816

Wolf.5816

I Actually like the idea of having multiples of the same turret. That has some nice applications. Drop/Overcharge 3 Net Turrets in succession for a 6 second stun and a 9 second Immobilize. I think a more balanced suggestion would be to have certain Turret Utilities Deploy multiple Turrets in one Utility. Perhaps a Turret Crate O could deploy 2 offensive turrets. (RifleTurret, Flame Turret)That overcharge in unison. And Turret Crate D could deploy 2 defensive Turrets. (Net Turret, Thumper Turret) or something similar. Although this mildly addresses Turrets PvP implications.. I don’t think this would help at all for PvE. The real way to make turrets useful I fear, lies in the future Traits. Id Replace pretty much all the of Turret Synergistic traits right now for anything at this point. (Except Accelerant-Packed Turrets)

Veteran of The Mists & Professional Engineer
Dingo King-Hound King-Coyoti King-Thylacine King-Hyena King

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

My HOPE is for a hefty redesign of turret functionality, that makes them into a long-setup definitely-worth-the-wait powerful point-defense tool. I’ve tossed around numerous ideas to that end; Boons from Toolkit’s autoattack, permanent and stackable power increases from the Overcharge, gradual power growth over time…

My prediction, though? The Rifle Turret’s damage boost is going to be 10% at best. The Thumper Turret’s Cripple application is going to be reduced before it goes live for whatever reason they decide. Flame Turret will get maybe 50 extra range. Net Turret might apply one stack of Vulnerability for three to five seconds. Rocket Turret will only get a boost in its Toolbelt ability, reducing the cooldown to 45 seconds. And Healing Turret, heck, I foresee that getting its Blast Finisher detonation removed to stop all the blatantly-overpowered heal combos from it.

I’m enjoying Engineer, but frankly, most developers botch up all attempts to implement turrets in their games, and Arena Net is FAR from an exception.

The class is always greener on the other side.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Zinwrath.2049

My HOPE is for a hefty redesign of turret functionality, that makes them into a long-setup definitely-worth-the-wait powerful point-defense tool. I’ve tossed around numerous ideas to that end; Boons from Toolkit’s autoattack, permanent and stackable power increases from the Overcharge, gradual power growth over time…

My prediction, though? The Rifle Turret’s damage boost is going to be 10% at best. The Thumper Turret’s Cripple application is going to be reduced before it goes live for whatever reason they decide. Flame Turret will get maybe 50 extra range. Net Turret might apply one stack of Vulnerability for three to five seconds. Rocket Turret will only get a boost in its Toolbelt ability, reducing the cooldown to 45 seconds. And Healing Turret, heck, I foresee that getting its Blast Finisher detonation removed to stop all the blatantly-overpowered heal combos from it.

I’m enjoying Engineer, but frankly, most developers botch up all attempts to implement turrets in their games, and Arena Net is FAR from an exception.

You can trait net turret already to add 5 stacks of vulnerability for 8 seconds.

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

google.3709

that’s basically what they nerf is going to be, and would it really be worth it ? would you want to play them ? prob not .. if anyone havent realized we dont get much love so this updates is preee much the only chance we get at gettin something good out turrets for a couple of months lol

Prediction for Turrets!

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

You can trait net turret already to add 5 stacks of vulnerability for 8 seconds.

Just adds insult to pre-existing insult, then.

The class is always greener on the other side.