Problems of engineer's invisibility

in Engineer

Posted by: Katran.9186

Katran.9186

I’ve spent half an hour in Mists trying out combinations for becoming invisible and there’re two skills working wrong.

1) Nearly all damaging blasts work fine with smoke field when you have an enemy (or multiple enemies) in your area. Except Big Ol’ Bomb. It triggers blast before hitting enemy and all you gain is “revealed” for couple of seconds. That’s a shame, because smoke bomb+big old bomb is an obvious combination and the best one for ressing ally. And I have a feeling this combo worked right before
I thought it might be the knockback that triggers “revealed”. Yet, turrets traited with “Accelerant-packed turrets” work fine.

2) Toolbelt skill of elixir S, traited with “Acidic Elixirs”. The trait is practically useless but I’ve tried it out. When you throw an elixir with an enemy nearby you gain “revealed” debuff. Again it decreases engi efficiency as a support.

So. Can I have any clarification on Big Ol’ Bomb proc? Is that a bug or intended? Will that be fixed anytime soon?

in Engineer

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

I’ve tested this and it isn’t the knock back of Big Ol’ Bomb that is getting revealed, but if you have traits such as incendiary powder and that procs of of the Big Ol’ Bomb then you will get the revealed status. Just try and kite away from someone before using it.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

You have the same issues to a lesser extent with blasting smokescreen. Work around it. Stealth is more thief specific so they have an easier time. BoB has a huge radius(insane if traited). Use smaller blasts like turrets. Be aware of on crit procs like incendiary, shrapnel etc.
In pve you can find safe spots to blast and in pvp..well stealth is for stomps and the elixir s has small radius.

in Engineer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m not sure if it is a bug insomuch as it is just the way the cookie crumbled. Though I wouldn’t mind seeing it fixed, I’m not in a hurry to do anything about it.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Engineer

Katran.9186

but if you have traits such as incendiary powder and that procs of of the Big Ol’ Bomb then you will get the revealed status.

Nope. Tried it without this trait, while testing. Yet revealed.

in Engineer

Posted by: WEXXES.2378

WEXXES.2378

but if you have traits such as incendiary powder and that procs of of the Big Ol’ Bomb then you will get the revealed status.

Nope. Tried it without this trait, while testing. Yet revealed.

Confirmed.

Using turrets, however, will not reveal you even if you have the trait to knock people back, because turrets blowing up are their own action.

in Engineer

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

I think you should stop looking at it as a bug but more as a bonus that exploded turrets don’t proc the revealed debuff. I always stealth with smoke bomb and magnetic inversion from shield. It’s not the smartest move to try and stealth with acidic elixir trait enabled in the heat of battle. You are supposed to get revealed when you land an attack that takes away enemy health, even it’s a small amount.

However if you do zero-damage knockbacks or interrupts to an opponent, you can stealth just fine (think FT kit #3 skill, magnetic inversion, even slick shoes I believe). If you’re knockback leads to an enemy’s death though, that might reveal you. But keep this in mind: If you have sigils or runes that proc damage or conditions (Sigil of Fire, Sigil of Air, Runes of Rata Sum, etc) or you have the first minor trait in firearms that creates a bomb when you dodge, you will get revealed when those things affect enemy health even to the slightest degree. That’s why it’s okay to blast a smoke field with a turret, but it’s not okay to blast a smoke field with supply crate unless the enemy is outside of the landing radius. What’s funny is that your turrets exploding effect you but they don’t reveal you. Like it’ll if you have Accelerant-Packed Turrets and Synaptic Overload, anything that gets hit by the turret knockback triggers Synaptic Overload’s quickness.

in Engineer

Katran.9186

You are supposed to get revealed when you land an attack that takes away enemy health, even it’s a small amount.

Tell that to d/p thieves. I wanna see their faces.
Blast should proc after damage because all stealth combos in game work like that. Only Big Ol’ Bomb doesn’t. And yet I’m sure it worked right, maybe before January. Can’t confirm now, I should search for old videos of this.

in Engineer

Katran.9186

What’s funny is that your turrets exploding effect you but they don’t reveal you.

Tried turret as a second blast into the field. It doesn’t reveal you either with nor without “accelerant-packaged” trait. Incendiary powder doesn’t matter either.

A-a-and I forgot a combination with the 4th skill of elixir gun. Tried it out now. It grants you “revealed” status if you have an enemy nearby.

(edited by Katran.9186)

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Greetings everyone, main Mesmer / Engi here

From the mesmer I know that any pulls and knockbacks without damage (like curtain Focus 4) will not bring you in combat, nor make neutral mobs hostile. This means pulls and knock backs won’t reveal you.

As for the engineer this means it’s a good option to use smoke bomb followed by shield 4 to ress someone. Since big ol’ bomb deals damage it will reveal you, working as intended. It would be nice if the damage would proc before the stealth indeed, but it’s ok how it works right now.

To the turret thing: Keep in mind that it doesn’t matter where the turret is deployed, the blast finisher will allways be YOU (toolbelt). So for example you can stay into a fire field, put that turret down, move away, and use F1 in the smoke field to become invisible.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Just FYI, magnetic inversion does do a small bit of damage (according to tooltip at least). But it seems like that portion is resolved before the AoE stealth, so you aren’t revealed.

As far as the acidic elixirs and toss elixir S interaction, it’s just dumb. They really need to change that.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It’s actually not working in PVE either. I’ve tried multiple blast finishers before the April 15th patch and they’d rightly stack so I could sneak past a particularly nasty set of mobs in Orr but now only 1 finisher actually triggers the stealth and the rest are just duds.

I’ve tried multiple combos of different finishers to the same result. This is looking less and less like a bug and more like a deliberate attempt to making us less viable.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Still stacking 15 sec invisibility without a problem …

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

I personally like doing Smoke => EG4

I get stealth for just long enough that the opponent is confused and loses me as a target. Now I have some distance, can drop BK 5, and get my bearings before re-engaging.

YMMV, of course.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Katran.9186

Still stacking 15 sec invisibility without a problem …

The point is – engineers became less efficient in rezzing allies and such sort of stuff (I liked BOB+smoke bomb just before going downed). Of course you still can stack 15 seconds of invisibility. Being outside of combat. And that’s less useful in tpvp than supporting.

I personally like doing Smoke => EG4

I get stealth for just long enough that the opponent is confused and loses me as a target.

As I said, eg4 works wrong, it procs finisher before damage (for example, rocket boots that are similar, proc right), so it’s pretty hard to get away in combat.

(edited by Katran.9186)