PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Posted by: Silver.4798

Silver.4798

Hey guys,

I have a level 80 thief and guard, and a few other characters level 60 and below. I really enjoy PvE and I am thinking of starting a brand new toon which is very different from what I’m used to. I’m very intrigued by engineers and would like to hear your opinions of the class, because I have a few concerns.

Primarily, I do PvE and dungeons/fractals, sometimes I’ll dabble in WvW as well. In my dungeon runs however, it is very rare for me to see an engineer (it’s usually hordes of wars guards mesmers and eles, sometimes thieves and rangers or even necros, but very rarely do I see engineers). Is there a specific reason for this? Is the class mechanic flawed or perhaps not as much fun? Maybe I just have a small sample size and my server has a lot less engi’s than others?

Popularity aside, I’d really appreciate it if someone can give me a few ideas of some fun PvE/dungeon builds. Now, of course, everyone is different and you have to find what you like, etc, but I like having some direction or idea before I start a project. I’ll adjust as I go along.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Engineer has the best damage output in PvE, only dumb noobs create Warriors for damage:-P
I use this build with http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rare_Veggie_Pizza:

http://tinyurl.com/cfftnq7

- by swaping kit and constant using elixirs you can keep 25 stacks of might on you and 10 stacks on rest of party pretty much all time.
- Due to trait and high crit chance you will keep 25 stacks of vulnerability on mobs all time – its pretty much 25% dmg increase for whole party
- You have average damage output around 6k/s on 1500ft range:-)

You can also try this static discharge build with: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Curry_Butternut_Squash_Soup

http://tinyurl.com/boaoy3m

- Its pretty much single target build but due to piercing rifle shots and discharge bouncing between targets you can manage multiple targets but its harder for positioning.
- This build has extreme damage spikes (about 30k in 1.5s) but you must wait 30s for recharge whole burst or 5s for partial.
- Perma swiftness and vigor allow you to kite everything.

I did fractals lvl 48 multiple times with both builds without problems:-).

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Engineer have great damage output, a lot of variety, good team support, and high survivability. You don’t see many in dungeons because 1) they’re not easy to play and 2) they have a negative stigma attached to them. Trust me, they’re completely worth playing. More fun than any other profession too. Right now, HGH Grenade builds are popular for dungeons, allowing huge might stacking and long range aoe. It’s effective but I find it a little too boring personally. I use flamethrower and elixir gun in dungeons, opting to deal large amounts of aoe damage at closer range, stack might, and support my party with healing and boons.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I made a pretty good Bomb kit build. 30/20/0/0/20.

Explosives: III, VII, X | Firearms: II, V | Tools: III, whatever suits you, scope doesn’t work though

Berserker Armor with 2 superior runes of altruism and 4 ruby orbs. Cavalier Jewelery with ruby orbs. Berserker Rifle with major sigil of battle

Utilities are Medkit/Bomb Kit/Throw Mine(Grenade Kit for barrage or Net Turret for immobilize)/Utility Goggles.

You start by firing 1 Hip Shot to get into combat, fire Net shot/Analyze. Switch to Medkit and hit Utility Goggles as you’re pressing Medkit 5 to get 20 seconds of fury, switch to Bomb Kit, drop mine field on directly on your foe>Fire Bomb>Big Ol’ Bomb>switch to Rifle>Jump Shot and while you’re in the air detonate mine field

Takes a while to memorize. If you use net turret you fire the toolbelt skill after Net Shot and can explode the turret itself in Fire Bomb for AoE might. If you’re using Grenade Kit use Grenade Barrage after placing Big Ol’ Bomb.

Note: You don’t have to do that skill combo, it’s just the best way to AoE burst I’ve found with it. Bomb auto-attack should do about 3K per bomb on crit

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Posted by: paleeshi.1924

paleeshi.1924

Engineer has the best damage output in PvE, only dumb noobs create Warriors for damage:-P

- by swaping kit and constant using elixirs you can keep 25 stacks of might on you and 10 stacks on rest of party pretty much all time.
- Due to trait and high crit chance you will keep 25 stacks of vulnerability on mobs all time – its pretty much 25% dmg increase for whole party

You can also try this static discharge build with: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Curry_Butternut_Squash_Soup

- Its pretty much single target build but due to piercing rifle shots and discharge bouncing between targets you can manage multiple targets but its harder for positioning.
- This build has extreme damage spikes (about 30k in 1.5s) but you must wait 30s for recharge whole burst or 5s for partial.

Hello, can I ask how long you’ve been playing with this build and your overall experience with it?
I kinda miss my Engi (retired her since january), but I have trouble finding a build I like (looking for a rifle/power build).
I usually don’t like going full glass canon and hence I tried balance dmg with toughness and vit, but I just don’t like the low dps. I used to run grenades but I don’t like them much anymore since 33% nerf.. And also the endless key spamming.. Your build seems pretty decent though so hence I wonder how the world looks for a pure glasscanon engy xD I guess it won’t do as well in WvW though?

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Hello, can I ask how long you’ve been playing with this build and your overall experience with it?
I kinda miss my Engi (retired her since january), but I have trouble finding a build I like (looking for a rifle/power build).
I usually don’t like going full glass canon and hence I tried balance dmg with toughness and vit, but I just don’t like the low dps. I used to run grenades but I don’t like them much anymore since 33% nerf.. And also the endless key spamming.. Your build seems pretty decent though so hence I wonder how the world looks for a pure glasscanon engy xD I guess it won’t do as well in WvW though?

I am waiting with baited breath for the answer to your questions – sigh

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

I have similar questions. Namely, that I’m pretty happy with my survivability but I’m trying to get more damage in my build. So I’m wondering how do you react when you’re being focused in a dungeon? because I run a similar build but with knights trinkets and I still melt from time to time (not by aoes or dodge-able mechanics, but by simple guided damage). Often I only hold out by kiting until my heal goes off of cooldown. I do this quite often actually.

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Rozbuska.5263

I use it since I finish my Predator and it was aroud christmas. That build is pretty fun because there is lots of moving, dodging, positioning ect. Grenades are bit more effective but after while incredibly boring.

I use full Berserk gear with Divinity runes only weapon has P/T/V (you cant transmute legendary yet) so some survability is there but not neccessary. You can be full glass cannon even in hard dungeons because you have lots of mobility – perma Swiftness and Dodge pretty much every 2s.
- With Berserk rife, Fury, food and precision stacks you will have 100% crit chance and 120% crit damage. I have 2 rifles – one for precision stack on kill (Sigil of Accuracy) and on 25 stacks i swap on rifle with Sigil of Fire – its nice AoE on crit every 5s. You can use Sigil of Air instead but in PvE I prefer Fire.
- Moving and positioning is everything you never stops and you must keep eyes an all mobs same as on aoe on grounds but you can learn that:-) If you play like sitting ducks (like many Rangers for example do) you are death:-)

Usual full combo is something like this:
- Runing around and found position where as many mobs as possible are in row or close to it. Run towards group of mobs, use all toolbelt skills for Static Discharge, still running, use Blunderbuss on closer range, still run in, swap on Tool Kit, smack something with Prybar, Jumpshot on one place (double damage it can hit for 12k), double dodge back. Repeat:-)
- If you have tollbelt skills on cooldown you just runing around using autoattack, Blunderbuss, Box of Nails for slowing mobs ect. Surprise shot recharge very fast you will use it often as well.
- If you are Charr (like me:-)). You can make that build even better if you use Hidden Pistol instead Utility Googles. You loose stunbreaker and bit of fury but in PvE its not big deal. You have base crit chance around 80% anyway. Toolbelt skill is like thiefs Unload. Skill itself hits between 8-12k and release 2 Discharge bolts instead of one.
- Net Shot, Overcharged Shot and Magnet are great for rooting/interupting bosses.
- Toolkit autoattack is sometime also usefull (like on elementals on Jade Maw what reflect projectiles) 3rd attack can crit for 6k
- If mobs focus you just pop up Gear Shield and run bit out heal and come back. Med Kit main heal has only 15s cooldown with 30 points in tools so you have it always alongside with smal heal packs. Also all Toolbelt skills recharge on 25% HP so you get you heal recharged as well all discharge skills so from defense you can quickly come to offense:-)
- This build is also usable in WvW but there its one trick pony and most of enemiest these days wear P/T/V gear so they can survive whole burst and after that you have nothing. But if you surprise you enemy.. Thiefs are usualy dead before they event cast first invis:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

(edited by Rozbuska.5263)

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Posted by: JohnDied.3476

JohnDied.3476

well mate, I don’t know what to say. My best guess is that you must rely on having no aggro at all, which I’ve noticed I get less and less of the more toughness gear I take off. I’ve never gone full glass cannon, and I probably never will. Just in case the “heavier” people in my party go down. I guess I’ll just switch a piece or two to berserker and see where it takes me.

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Rozbuska.5263

well mate, I don’t know what to say. My best guess is that you must rely on having no aggro at all, which I’ve noticed I get less and less of the more toughness gear I take off. I’ve never gone full glass cannon, and I probably never will. Just in case the “heavier” people in my party go down. I guess I’ll just switch a piece or two to berserker and see where it takes me.

Its not that hard. Only very few mobs has quick range attack so you can easily dodge it or avoid by quick changing direction. Melee mobs are free kils because you have perma swiftness and almost perma AoE cripple.
I party mobs switch targets often to closest so you just hit and run out of range an bit, run and run and run. Back and forth thru mobs not around, turn 180 degree often and run back. For example in CoF p2 in Assassin phase I am able to manage it solo – kill Assassins, kite melee kill/dodge ranged mobs and keep self alive. In zerg gear.
Moving and dodging is important and many players dont do it right.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

Roz’s build isn’t the top damage setup.. or even close, but it’s not bad. Engineer has #3 DPS overall right now in the game, #1 being a lightning hammer ele (9-12k auto attacks? Hnnngh), #2 being a lookit-me-I’mma-warrior, and #3 being a kit juggling engineer. Sigil of Battle, Scholar Runes, and Elixir Gun/Grenade Kit/Flamethrower (Or Tool Kit if you want a block). 30/15/0/0/25 for optimal DPS, or 30/10/0/0/30 if you want the endurance regen. Medkit is great for triggering the 3 stacks of might on heal. If you don’t like scholar runes, rubies work just as well, or altruism for a more group-focused setup. The entire idea of the ‘juggling’ setup is to swap between your high damage, low cooldown skills like Flame Blast, Shrapnel Grenade, Blunderbuss, Jump Shot, Acid Bomb, Freeze ’Nade, and Barrage – with proper setup you can even use Napalm into Acid Bomb for some bonus might stacking.

Sigil of Fire is great, but kind of a no-thought sigil. Mathematically with a berserker gear setup, as long as you can crank out 15-16k worth of damage every 5 seconds, you’ll get more from a sigil of battle (without boon duration, mind you) than a sigil of fire.

PvE/Dungeon Engi Build?

in Engineer

Rozbuska.5263

Sigil of Battle, Scholar Runes, and Elixir Gun/Grenade Kit/Flamethrower (Or Tool Kit if you want a block). 30/15/0/0/25 for optimal DPS, or 30/10/0/0/30 if you want the endurance regen. Medkit is great for triggering the 3 stacks of might on heal. If you don’t like scholar runes, rubies work just as well, or altruism for a more group-focused setup. The entire idea of the ‘juggling’ setup is to swap between your high damage, low cooldown skills like Flame Blast, Shrapnel Grenade, Blunderbuss, Jump Shot, Acid Bomb, Freeze ’Nade, and Barrage – with proper setup you can even use Napalm into Acid Bomb for some bonus might stacking.

It looks very interesting for PvE I will try something with this today.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop