[PvP] Help me, I´m getting frustrated...

in Engineer

Posted by: Cero.5132

Cero.5132

I don´t even know where to start… I kinda feel teary-eyed and tired about this entire balance-topic.

I definitely love playing my engineer. I have lots and lots of fun playing a marauder build in my team.
But with every day there seem to be always more situations where I think:
“Dang, if I played a Mesmer/Thief I could have disengaged way more easily AND do at least the same amount of burst. "
or "If I was an Ele I could have a bit more sustain and group support AND the same overall damage-output "
Heck, I even found myself thinking: “… If I played necro I could actually stand my ground against that stupid ele…” <- and I freaking hate Necromancers…

I don´t know.. I just feel like my team would be better off with anything as long as it´s not an engineer…

Yesterday I was even so frustrated I just rolled my head on the keyboard… I swear if I was an ele I could have won a 1v2 with this! (sarcasm)
Well instead of winning a 1v2 with this I couldn´t even be bothered anymore to look up. I also couldn´t be bothered to exit GW2 or even shutdown my computer… So I just unplucked (cruel murder, I know…)

Well I´m not THIS frustrated today but pretty close to it… So instead of killing my computer again I decided to get rid of my frustration by writing.

sigh… I think I simply need a break from GW2…

Now please, before you start to try talking me into trying another build… I did.
I tried the FT-burn fun, the soldiers-build, the support… It either is just straight-out no fun for me or feels more like a one-trick-pony …

in Engineer

Posted by: sunnypsyop.3025

sunnypsyop.3025

As an Engi main, I definitely feel your pain. Current meta is kinda stupid, and definitely kitten our prof.

I know you said you tried other builds, but I am not having too much trouble surviving as a Marauder Engi, and it does crazy good cleave, fares pretty darn well in 1v1s (particularly if you get the jump on someone from stealth).

Using P/S with Fire / Strength sigil. Hoelbrak runes, Marauder ammy.
Explosives: 1 – 1 – 1
Alchemy: 2 – 3 – 1
Tools: 2 – 1 – 1
Heal Turret, Tool Kit, Granada Kit~!, Elixir S, Moartarzz

Between all the shielding and stealth, you should be able to juke or block your way out of a bad situation. You also have a TON of healing combos — enough to bring yourself back to full a couple times over.

Another part of playing just about any class is knowing when to pick your battles. You simply do not want to 1v1 heavy condi classes as an Engi, as we have some of the worst clear in the world. You also want to proceed with extreme caution against anyone with a lot of CC.

Feel free to hit me up in-game if you need help.

GF Left Me Cos Of Ladderboards [WTF]
:: |SPvP | Rev | Engi | ::

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Play the soldier rifle build (see metabattle if you’re not familiar with it). You can do CC better than anything except maybe a hammer war and you’ll bring more support and survivability at the same time.

in Engineer

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

How well does soldier engi translate to wvw?

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

The soldier build is good for 1v2ing and getting decaps, but it also means that you’re a bit more dependent on the rest of your team having better damage than you, but it can hold a point in smaller fights very well.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Engineer

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

In general, engis need to be much more careful about when to engage in fights since the update. You aren’t going to win a 1v1 vs a burn ele or burn guardian, so don’t even try.

I personally prefer a more DPS focused spec, so I prefer to help burst people down in team fights.

in Engineer

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

http://intothemists.com/guides/6273-static_dismay_v2

Give this a try. Put down the grenade kit. I take this solo into ranked and put down guards, necro, mes 1v1 fairly regularly. I really only struggle against ele, and long bow rangers. I exclusively play engi, and play spvp probably 80% do my play time; I was definitely with you on the frustration scale after updates. Gives this build a try, it’s surprisingly tank and had excellent burst with not awful static condi apply.

in Engineer

Posted by: sunnypsyop.3025

sunnypsyop.3025

http://intothemists.com/guides/6273-static_dismay_v2

Give this a try. Put down the grenade kit. I take this solo into ranked and put down guards, necro, mes 1v1 fairly regularly. I really only struggle against ele, and long bow rangers. I exclusively play engi, and play spvp probably 80% do my play time; I was definitely with you on the frustration scale after updates. Gives this build a try, it’s surprisingly tank and had excellent burst with not awful static condi apply.

This looks interesting, but without even testing yet I can tell you that the Self-Regulating Defenses has got to go. It’s the worst trait Engi has… nothing like interrupting your own casts (usually your heal or block) and making you unable to use skills at all when you least need it. Also, SD is notorious for pulling out all the stops at the last minute and downing an enemy at the moment they think they’re about to pwn the Engi… Elixir S autoproc makes that basically impossible.

Anyway, I ran SD Engi regularly for about a year and half and am always searching for the latest and greatest version… it’s gonna be truly viable again one day, I swear! ;P

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build_talk:Engineer_-_Static_Discharge I listed my build under the “discussion” tab for the SD I’m running right now on one of my 3 Engi (Revisions / Corrections). I think it adds a little flair and has surprisingly good survival (esp vs. ranged) for being… well, SD.

Not intending to derail OP’s thread, just offering a different opinion on stuff to try.

GF Left Me Cos Of Ladderboards [WTF]
:: |SPvP | Rev | Engi | ::

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Engineer defensive skills are shoehorned into Elixir S and Blocks, and here’s the thing; In contrary to some other classes, you don’t get to attack with your defenses up like let’s say Guardian, who will just cycle 150 layers of defenses and attempt to destroy you while you figure out which buttons to push to bring him down.

When you attack, you’re pretty much as naked as the day you were born with only Overcharged Shot to truly help you out. When you’re on the defensive, you don’t deal a single bit of direct damage. Others know that and will get the jump on you if you’re not prepared.

With a Marauder Engineer you need to get the drop on people at the start of the fight, to pretty much play like a Thief, coming out of stealth to burst your target down to low health so you get to have the advantage once your target has burned some cooldowns to get back in shape. That also means that misusing a block or a good chunk of your damaging skills will mean death.

On teamfights, grenades are your friends, but you’ll need to limit exposure if you’re doing too much of a good job because foes won’t accept that some dude is tossing nades in all that mess.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

I have found it makes me monitor my health. I have the habit of getting a little reliant on melandru rune, and getting in the dirty to overcharged’ a necro and end the aoe train. I keep my toolbelt skills on cd, except throw elixir s. If I’m getting low, or my self regulating procs, I’m out. I try to kite: run and dodge away in a beeline on auto elixir, when that runs out immediately pop my manual elixir s, keep running because they chase, they can see you this whole time, and then set up with throw ‘s’ to stealth and fully disengage. Rare ranger that keeps up with all 3 and me running flat out, dodging with energy sigil, and that’s it. Other classes can’t keep target. Heal up, reset with mortars. Sorry for hijack op, but I hope this description helps. Don’t forget gear shield.

in Engineer

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

One-trick pony… That aptly describes the situation!

Run SD? Gotta land that Overcharge Shot or run the kitten away!
Run FT Marauder? Gotta land that OS or run the kitten away.
Run burning FT? They cleared your IncenAmmo at the right time? Well lets run away again.
Run Soldiers rifle? Don’t have a team mate with you? Don’t bother fighting, even vs one. Oh and Overcharge Shot!

in Engineer

Posted by: LunacyPolish.4602

LunacyPolish.4602

I have had to go experiment in hotjoins to find something that works. It is not just you Engineers are just not at the top or even the middle of the meta right now.

I used to do Celestial bomb/tool/eg kit and that might actually work again if they fixed the trait for bombs.

The Marauder flamethrower HGH build works for me, though. It does take some getting used to however, but I do like it.

I am here lately doing soldier HGH Mortar kit bunker (rifle healing turret elixir gun elixir c elixir s runes of Lyssa) with explosives alchemy and tools. Sigil of Doom and Intelligence. If I take Lock on, I can actually hold my ground against a mesmer, and if the mesmer is a cheesy bandwagoner I can beat him. It took practice but this setup can eat the cheeseball burst and keep pressure on an area for a good while, and if you cleave the real mesmer out of stealth you hop on rifle and end him with sigil of intelligence.

It is not 100 percent but I got hate whispers for it.