PvP Spec

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: Raiff.6742

Raiff.6742

Hi guys, tried a search function on this topic and couldn’t find one. Granted, I’m not very bright, and kinda lazy. So it may be out there and I just didn’t see it.

Anywhoo, I’m a long time player of PvE and WvW, but am now taking the plunge into PvP. I’m wondering what a strong spec for Solo and Team PvP play would be. Is flamethrower better than Wrench? What about Pistols vs. Rifle?

I have mostly Condi gear, mixed with some VItality/Toughness gear. So it would be good to build on Condi. Dmg. THanks for any help you Veterans can offer.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: Starxes.2760

Starxes.2760

I’m definitely not an expert, but some general advice…for conditions, you’ll want pistol/pistol or pistol/shield. Shield is a great weapon, with a knockback, blast finisher, etc…some of the good utilities for conditions are bomb kit, grenade kit, elixir gun, and probably tool kit. If you are doing sPvP or tPvP, your PvE/WvW gear won’t carry over (you might already know that). Flamethrower will be better with the upcoming patch, but I’m not sure its great right now for conditions, but you could definitely run it. I know other will be able to contribute more for you, but that should help.
Edit: A good build might be something like 6/6/0/0/2 or 6/2/0/0/2. I personally like running bombs, grenades, and EG, but play what you like.

(edited by Starxes.2760)

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Raiff.6742

Thanks for the reply Starxes, I’m currently on the fence between Bombs/grenades and Tool Kit. So far my spec is a 4/4/0/6/0 with HgH and pistols traited into.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Starxes.2760

What elixirs are you using with HGH then?

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

Thanks for the reply Starxes, I’m currently on the fence between Bombs/grenades and Tool Kit. So far my spec is a 4/4/0/6/0 with HgH and pistols traited into.

That’s a tough one… I’d say bomb kit, since you won’t be picking up Power Wrench with that build. You might decide you want Tool Kit later to help with chasing once the balance patch comes through and all it’s attacks cripple by default, but until then I think you’d get more out of the control and combo fields you get with bomb kit than you would with Tool kit’s shield, pull and crowbar.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Raiff.6742

What elixirs are you using with HGH then?

Sorry. That wad 4/6/0/4/0. More damage as target has conditions on them.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Raiff.6742

That’s a tough one… I’d say bomb kit, since you won’t be picking up Power Wrench with that build. You might decide you want Tool Kit later to help with chasing once the balance patch comes through and all it’s attacks cripple by default, but until then I think you’d get more out of the control and combo fields you get with bomb kit than you would with Tool kit’s shield, pull and crowbar.

I thought of swapping the bomb trait line for gadgets so as to do a pistols/elixer (HGh) tool kit build. Just not sure which would be better.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Starxes.2760

I thought of swapping the bomb trait line for gadgets so as to do a pistols/elixer (HGh) tool kit build. Just not sure which would be better.

I think the explosives line would be stronger than gadgets, especially for conditions. Tool kit by itself might not help you to much with the conditions. Of course, I haven’t used in a while, so…

(edited by Starxes.2760)

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

There is a reason why HGH in PvP is no more! It’s not a good build anymore! Power creep and the lack of defensive utilities have made HGH obsolete!

If you like Bomb Kit and Tool Kit, try this build! It’s a powerful nodefighting build!
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUpdrlcxPLseRSaBNq0AqQIyQulPPhAcAA-TJhHwAU2fgwJAAwDAAZZAA

This is Vee Wee’s personal build! It also uses Tool Kit but with Grenades instead of Bombs!
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUp+qlcxELseRCbBNqxAqNIyOWlPfgAkUA-TJhHwA82fAwDAAZZgAnAAA

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

(edited by ellesee.8297)

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Raiff.6742

Ellesee, I don’t get your builds. Almost no points in Condi. Dmg. Trait line yet you’re using Condi. Dmg. Weapons and kits. You use Tool Kit but no traits in it. Thanks for the advice, it will be a good base to try out in modification.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Good questions my frand Raiff! First, the Firearms trait line is really bad! I’d say it’s the 2nd worst tree the Engineer has! In Vee Wee’s opinion only the Inventions tree is worse than Firearms! You take 10 into Firearms for the bleed on crits, to boost your bleed damage to 100+ per tick, and pistol cooldown! Any more points in that tree and you are just gimping your survivability in exchange for miniscule offensive gains!

Tool Kit is a utility kit! Therefore there is no sense in traiting Power Wrench!

In PvE picking a tree for its passive stat gains might be an ok tactic! In PvP not so much!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Raiff.6742

Perhaps it’s my own lack of education, but why are passive stats a bad investment? It’s still 2010 plus added to a stat. Investing into power wrench puts a cripple on all attacks and lowers the CD by 20%. If you carry pistols having 4 in pistols would give you another 20% CD and penetrating shots. Luke I said, maybe it’s my lack of education as to why these traits are not important.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Starxes.2760

Perhaps it’s my own lack of education, but why are passive stats a bad investment? It’s still 2010 plus added to a stat. Investing into power wrench puts a cripple on all attacks and lowers the CD by 20%. If you carry pistols having 4 in pistols would give you another 20% CD and penetrating shots. Luke I said, maybe it’s my lack of education as to why these traits are not important.

You can get the stats you need from gear. Getting good traits is more important than extra condition damage or whatever. They will affect your play and success more. Not that I agree with everything Vee Wee said, but I definitely agree on that point. If you are using kits, you don’t really need a lower CD on pistol skills, as you will have a bunch of other skills to use that may be better than the pistol skills. I don’t think pistols need to have piercing shots in a condition build, and they aren’t good for a power build. Investing in power wrench is nice, but it isn’t necessary as the kit is good already. Also, “Power Wrench: Previously delivered crippling blows with your autoattack and your throw wrench ability. This has been folded to the baseline of your toolkit so now you don’t have to equip this trait to maintain that crippling effect. Instead, Power Wrench has been changed to have a 10% damage increase while using the toolkit. Your combo, your pry bar and your thrown wrench abilities will all have the 10% damage increase.” So, when that patch comes out, Power Wrench will only increase damage, which is nice but not needed for a condi build.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Raiff.6742

Thank you Starxes, that was helpful information. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions, it was a lot of good info, and I appreciate the time you all took to give comprehensive answers.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Starxes.2760

Sure, no problem.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

Go 0/2/6/6/0

Experimental turrets and Fortified Turrets.

take Tumper, Flame, Rifle, heaing turrets. and supply crate.

Take pistol shield

= WIN every pvp match ingame.

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Raiff.6742

Go 0/2/6/6/0

Experimental turrets and Fortified Turrets.

take Tumper, Flame, Rifle, heaing turrets. and supply crate.

Take pistol shield

= WIN every pvp match ingame.

Why not 0/0/6/6/2 and be able to deploy turrets using ground targeting?

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Starxes.2760

I think he meant 2/0/6/6/0, for accelerant-packed turrets. But I wouldn’t advise going turrets.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Raiff.6742

For PvP I would think Turrets would be a good idea. Especially if you are just defending nodes. Drop Thumper, Net, healing, and Flame and you have an insta-garrison. Granted I’m just theory crafting, so with 2/0/4/6/2 you should have self repairing turrets that take less damage and do more damage, as well as deployable where you like, and explodable to push enemies back.

So where does this theory fall apart? Remember, I’m just asking as a noob to experienced PvPers.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: Dsquaredcri.9421

Dsquaredcri.9421

If you like Bomb Kit and Tool Kit, try this build! It’s a powerful nodefighting build!
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUpdrlcxPLseRSaBNq0AqQIyQulPPhAcAA-TJhHwAU2fgwJAAwDAAZZAA

Wahoo! Bye frands!

If you are #1 Engi NA then poor NA lol you make me laugh hahaha engi is not a powerful nodefighter never! Engi is the worst class at it! Your’re not a ranger/warrior/ele, those 3 classes are the best 1v1 node fighter in game, engi is a running 24/7 class! You running a build with no protection #6 trait in alchemy and with only bombs as stealthing skill for disingage you would just be free meal to dps classes!
Yeah you’re the #1 NA hahaha

Dsquaredcri, necro for Rush team

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

If you are #1 Engi NA then poor NA lol you make me laugh hahaha engi is not a powerful nodefighter never! Engi is the worst class at it! Your’re not a ranger/warrior/ele, those 3 classes are the best 1v1 node fighter in game, engi is a running 24/7 class! You running a build with no protection #6 trait in alchemy and with only bombs as stealthing skill for disingage you would just be free meal to dps classes!

Top kek sir

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

Top kek sir

engi is not the worst. But he is correct. Guardian, Warrior, ele and ranger are far better at a node as the engi is.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

If you’re only going 20 into Alchemy without Energy Sigil, Invigorating Speed and Backpack Regenerator are the best choices! And sometimes even with Energy Sigil! Vee Wee thought that was common knowledge! Seems like you’ve been out of the loop!

In Vee Wee’s opinion, Engi is one of the best 1v1 classes! Only Necromancers can beat Engis reliably 1v1 assuming both players are the same skill level!

Ranger best 1v1! Good joke!

Vee Wee hasn’t used that bomb build and will probably never use that bomb build! Vee Wee only recommended it because a top EU Engi runs that build and the OP wanted a build with both Bomb Kit and Tool Kit!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

(edited by ellesee.8297)

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Lupanic.6502

Engi is better as the ranger is. But you can’t stand vs a Hambow on point for a long time. You can kill the hambow as an engi, but you have a hard time to keep the node capped and kill the hambow.

Other classes like the ranger, ele, guard are able to stay at the node while fighting the hambow. Even if they are not able to kill him.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

That’s not true at all! Vee Wee runs a very offensive build and can keep the cap from a hambow! The secret is Tool Kit! Tool Kit is sooooooooooo good!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Lupanic.6502

That’s not true at all! Vee Wee runs a very offensive build and can keep the cap from a hambow! The secret is Tool Kit! Tool Kit is sooooooooooo good!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

That is because you are #1 engi. I play also your build (different runes) but the warrior covers the node with fire and smile at me with stances and 22 stacks of might. So I have to go and cry until his stances are gone. Then I am able to pew pew

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: Dsquaredcri.9421

Dsquaredcri.9421

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Tool kit is so bad! When u stop blocking thief come and one shot you and you dont have anything for survive and run away.

Dsquaredcri, necro for Rush team

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Raiff.6742

Been using Pistol/shield and Turrets as Zardul suggested. It’s worked really well in TPvP, which is what I like best anyway. Don’t know about 1v1, I kinda avoid that kind of PvP as I suck, lol.

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Tool kit is so bad! When u stop blocking thief come and one shot you and you dont have anything for survive and run away.

You mean such as an AoE cripple+bleed? Are you really suggesting your are not skilled enough to escape a crippled opponent? As well you believe the ability to pull an opponent off a point at 1200 range does not sound to me like a bad function at all. But to have all of these in one single utility skill, yet label it as terrible? That doesn’t seem wise.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

PvP Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

I just go static discharge power build with a knights amulet+rifle and say gg to those who try to kill me. (hint: never works out so well for them) Got rocket boots for escape, heal turret because its awesome and rifle turret for not only the toolbelt skill but also getting use from accelerant packed turrets for some extra cc, and… toolkit because I love it, great utility to bring to any fight!

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!