Run ! - a WvW movie

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Maskaganda.2043

Maskaganda.2043

“IT’S AN ENGINEER, RUN!” – said no one ever. unless they mean run after him and zerg him down, in that case, many have said it.

My favorite movie so far and quite possibly the last one. Has a couple of 1v2s, a few 1v3, a 1v5 and some 1 vs who knows.
Everything was recorded since january 28th.
Enjoy and feel free to comment

Tchuu Tchuu I’m a Train – Gandara
engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: BrimstoneAshe.5043

BrimstoneAshe.5043

Yay! I was just going to make a post on the forums requesting a new movie from you. I always enjoy your videos. Can’t wait to watch it.

Asuran Engineer – Norn Ranger
[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

BrimstoneAshe.5043

Question: With your build and playstyle, do Hammer guardians give you much trouble? I really struggle vs them.

[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Grackleflint.4956

Grackleflint.4956

Thanks for another solid movie. Are you leaving the Engineer behind, or are you just retiring from making game play movies?

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Iddiozzia.3489

Iddiozzia.3489

Yep, I Agree on being your best video so far!

As usual very concrete gameplay and quality content.
Music was a bit “odd” for a pvp movie but it’s pretty enjoyable.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

Question: With your build and playstyle, do Hammer guardians give you much trouble? I really struggle vs them.

Yes. I mean, I don’t remember ever losing against one in 1v1 but they are sooooooo annoying. I suppose a good one can humiliate an engie.

Thanks for another solid movie. Are you leaving the Engineer behind, or are you just retiring from making game play movies?

Nah, I’ll never leave my engie :p But I’m going to focus a bit more on leveling my next alt and just have some fun playing with all my toons, not just the engie.
I might do another vid just before or after the next patch cycle.

Yep, I Agree on being your best video so far!

As usual very concrete gameplay and quality content.
Music was a bit “odd” for a pvp movie but it’s pretty enjoyable.

Thank you
If I didn’t like odd I wouldn’t be playing an engineer! :p

engie roaming vids: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9NnXVfY4vRU1F-X7b1Oorw/videos

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: paleeshi.1924

paleeshi.1924

Very impressive. I don’t get how you end up doing so much damage and condition damage. Are you running precision/toughness/condition gear? Could you please show your build with traits and gear. Much appreciated! There is a PvE calculator up now:
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/

Edit: I found build link in your first video. Still wonder about gear set up and runes/sigil though =)

(edited by paleeshi.1924)

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Lanny.6987

Lanny.6987

Masterful.

I’ve been running Inc Powder and while it does give me a damage boost I’m gonna go back to 0/30/10/30/0 after watching this. With your first movie (you know, the one I started my Engineer after watching) I noticed you made use of Coated Bullets but it hadn’t struck me how much you milk them for all they are worth.

The PvE build calculator is nice. I can’t get my numbers to match exactly up but I bet they made the mistake of believing all ANet’s tool tips and trait descriptions.

@paleeshi – First video thread also describes runes/sigil. It’s Adventurer with Earth/Corruption on the pistols. Maskaganda has some ascended gear but you can get a close approximation (if he hasn’t swapped gear since last he shared) with

Carrion/Chrys tinkets
1x Carrion, 1x Knight pistol
Rabid (HotW set; prec/tough/cond) Coat and Leggings
Carrion Helm
Rampager Shoulder and Gloves
Knight Boots
Guild Assassins Backpack/Ruby orb

Food is Plate of Fire Flank Steak and Quality Tuning Crystals

Here’s the stats and gear he shared with me at the time

1517 power / 1343 condition damage
1679 precision
1254 toughness
21432 hp
Add to that fire flank steaks (+100 power +70 cd) , quality tuning crystals and the stacks of corruption.
armor is a mix of carrion/aidan/karma gear (precision toughness cd)
1 coral earring, 1 chrysocola earring, 1 coral necklace, knights ring and khilbron’s philactery. the back piece is an ascended backpack with power toughness and cd.

(edited by Lanny.6987)

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

paleeshi.1924

@Lanny: tyvm!

15char

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

Might stacking with Burning and Confusion does a lot more damage then most people realize. Especially with food like Pizza.

Fantastic gameplay Maskaganda. I enjoyed watching it very much.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Lanny.6987

Agreed, Ayestes.

A week or so ago I switched from the 0/30/10/30/0 build to 10/25/5/30/0 using Rare Veggie Pizza see how it played for me. I can tell that I clear a camp faster but I can’t say it’s amazingly faster and I’ve been missing Coated Bullets (and Invis on Immobilize). If I could find some more precision it might do better for me but about 31% crit is as good as I can do without gimping power and/or condition damage.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

paleeshi.1924

You know, first time I tried Engi was in spvp, some random elixir/condition build and found it had huge success. Then when I started play Engi in PvE and got her to 80, I went for a grenade/rifle build and now barely play her anymore. I guess I wanna say thanks for making me re-discover my class again.

There’s a few changes though that I would do with this build. My biggest problem is that it (your build )has no condition removals. So I would like to have some advice on couple things. Here’s it what I had in mind.

Either go Elixir B, Elixir S, Elixir U and use Cleansing Formula instead of HGH. This is somewhat poor condition removal option but I feel something is necessary.

OR should I keep HGH and pick up Elixir C instead of either Elixir U or Elixir B. Frankly I don’t want to remove either of them. Feel like a really tough choice so I’d like to hear what you guys think.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Ayestes.1273

Mask’s build has condition removal via Elixir C (thrown as well), which allows him to pickup the +20% Elixir Duration trait instead. In most cases, it seems like this is plenty since it’s a full wipe rather then one condi at a time. It’s also free extra boons.

Elixir U doesn’t seem like it’d do that great. You are restricted by your Pistol cooldowns for damage regardless, since all you will get left with is time for extra Explosive Shot autos. Quickness can make your initial dump of conditions faster, but it isn’t going to improve your overall damage by much at all considering Explosive Shot’s damage isn’t that high to begin with.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

paleeshi.1924

Ah yes, I watched an older video where he was using Elixir U.
But you are probably right. Elixir C will bring much more to the table than Elixir U will do good with pistols. Though I kinda like the tool belt version of it. :P

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Lanny.6987

Elixer U works and sometimes it works quite well (against ranged attackers or in small teams). Drink U is fun for quick stomp/heal. I had a devil of a time stomping for a while after going to C because I’d run up, drink my C, and expect to stomp the thief, mesmer, ele before they got off their Down #3. Loving C for tower/keep defense [For some reason the opposing team doesn’t expect an Engineer to jump off a wall, gun someone down, tiny-stomp them, and then make it back to the gate. The key to that is Drink C as soon as you are inside to clear the conditions they lit you up with.] and Maskaganda’s switching for the build synergy won me over. I still sometimes wish for a thrown U. I loved applying confusion or blind through them and a well placed wall of reflection could often stop an enemy push across a choke-point. In the end though Drink C has more usefulness than Drink U.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: bromi.7809

bromi.7809

Yeah… if only this would be relevant at all in spvp )
hooray, now adding to www crit abuse we have www condi abuse :P

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

Another impressive movie. Thanks!

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Lanny.6987

Well you are in a thread with “a WvW movie” in the title. :) And if this is abuse at least it’s working for Engi’s instead of against. :) :)

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

I really think that abuse is what engies are for, by and large.

Poking ribs, pushing buttons, giving wet willies, making distracting noises, and adding mayhem to the multiverse.

Oh yeah, and belt mounted battering rams. LULZ.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Oak.2698

Oak.2698

Watched all the videos after seeing “Run”.
I now feel the need to bring glory to the Engineers as you did.
Thanks for these inspiring videos.

Edit: Also wanted to know, did anyone else cheer out loud every time he spiked someone?

Level 80 Engineer “Aliyanna”
SoR

(edited by Oak.2698)

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Naught.2316

Naught.2316

I haven’t played any structured PvP yet, but aside from the Sigil of Corruption, what makes this build irrelevant to sPvP?

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

bromi.7809

what makes this build irrelevant to sPvP?

You don’t stack even half near that much condi damage in spvp, and you’ll end up with dat pistol 1 doing 200, not 500. Not that you can’t make a condi engi in spvp, its just it will no way have this ‘burst’-like behaviour on squishies.

I really think that abuse is what engies are for, by and large.

idk, i always thought engi was about tons of control skills, that’s the only thing separating him from other professions. They should really focus on this side.

But i don’t whine, the movie and build are great for www and i will definitely try it on www.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: pfanne.9783

pfanne.9783

great video.
though i did notice him using elixir s, when trying to stomp even though the guardian alrady blew his knockback, which made me scratch my head.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

great video.
though i did notice him using elixir s, when trying to stomp even though the guardian alrady blew his knockback, which made me scratch my head.

I’m only human, I make mistakes :p I’m painfully aware of most of them. I think you are referring to the last kill in the vid, I had only 5k hp when I downed that guardian and even tho I healed up to 10k I didn’t want to risk taking more damage -there was a 10-12 man group just south-. I really didn’t need to use it but I did it anyway. I do a similar thing in that fight at the temple but there was an ele around, I was trying to prevent a knockback and taking free damage.

My worst bad habit -and I shouldn’t even say this because thats all you gonna notice now :p – is dodging a blind target.

Now as a kind of postface to the vids I should say: this are not my best fights and they are obviously not my worst moments either. I chose the fights and cut pieces of them off to make them entertaining to watch, meaning you won’t see me chase down a warrior for 2 minutes or wiping a small group with an invulnerable supervisor, but it’s not edited to make me look good either. Alot of the times I get one or two quick kills but then the last one, for a number of possible reasons, takes forever and that’s not entertaining to watch either.
In the last couple of weeks I’ve been humbled by very skillful players and I don’t discard any class beating me in 1v1 now. It’s rare and some never did -that I remember- but it happens. The worst counter to my build is permanent condition removal. I don’t mean removing some conditions every 30-40 seconds, I mean solid and permanent condition removal, the kind elementalists and thieves (on stealth) get.
I do alot of organized duels against great players I meet in wvw and every now and then I get defeated; most of the times it’s a close call and I manage to win a few myself, but other times it’s impossible no matter what I do, unless I go and change spec to specifically fight that one person.
Most of this things are obvious but I don’t want to fool anyone.
Sorry for the wall of text and thanks alot for the comments (keep them coming!) and cumpliments.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

paleeshi.1924

You don’t stack even half near that much condi damage in spvp, and you’ll end up with dat pistol 1 doing 200, not 500. Not that you can’t make a condi engi in spvp, its just it will no way have this ‘burst’-like behaviour on squishies.

Yes, I didn’t really understand why he did so much damage in the videos. In mist I had to put a berserker amulet to get the numbers close to his. How come is it that he crits for 600 dmg in WvW but it’s not possible in spvp? I know the gear is slightly different in the mist, but still. Is it only because of food and gear?

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Pannonica.5378

Pannonica.5378

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks alot for the comments (keep them coming!) and cumpliments.

Yeah, really fun to watch fights and nice editing. Good choice of music too.
Also I had to quote because of the funny typo(?).
Keep it up!

Pannonica
Red Guard

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: pfanne.9783

pfanne.9783

thanks for the insight.
thought is saw a pattern with you using elixir s twice on guardians that already used their knockback. but the way you describe it sounds logical

can you give a list of the songs in that video?

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

bromi.7809

Is it only because of food and gear?

Yes. Its what they call ‘pve stat abuse’, generally. Crit thieves BS you in 1-2 attacks due to same reason, only using other jewels and another food. Good thing thoug is that condi abuse still makes you utilise your skill playing it

The amulet thing in spvp was very smart move from arena, this is how they can control balance there by proper math and sheets.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

can you give a list of the songs in that video?

it’s in the description but here you go:

The Cinematic Orchestra – Arrival of the birds
barXino – Can Tunis Gnawa Mix
Gotan Project – Triptico

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

well my build is similiar i use Apothecary gear and changed the alchemy Master Major trait for the one that removes conditions each time an elixir affects me.

(bet someone’s gonna come up with some Punny name and claim it as their own build now)

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: lOKI.8152

lOKI.8152

Thx for the nice vid. Very interesting to watch. Never considered using an offhand pistol… Might give it a go.

Lvl 80s: Thief, Necro, Engi, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger

“War does not determine who is right – only who is left.”

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

BrimstoneAshe.5043

well my build is similiar i use Apothecary gear and changed the alchemy Master Major trait for the one that removes conditions each time an elixir affects me.

(bet someone’s gonna come up with some Punny name and claim it as their own build now)

Call it the “Rezzet Wrecked It” Build.

BAM! I’m a marketing genius,

[KAOS] of Anvil Rock

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Naught.2316

Even without food, this build would probably perform pretty well in sPvP with a Rampager’s Amulet, albeit not as dramatically so. Testing it on the mobs in the Heart of the Mists with just a Carrion Amulet, it still hit pretty hard, with most of them dying rather quickly to conditions while chasing me around.

Not nearly as bursty as in the video but I’d think it would still be viable and fun. Are burst builds required for sPvP or something?

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

paleeshi.1924

I’ve played the build in spvp for few days, using prec/toughness/condition amulet. It works, but I prefer to stay “in the back light”, but it works pretty well 1v1 still.

Thought there was one match I ran against an other rifle/grenade/bomb engineer and I realized how much I missed the knock backs. He literally bursted me down in 3secs and I couldn’t even react fast enough cause of his CC. I think this build is more useful in the open world. It’s not bad in spvp but the CC from other engi builds is much more fun in spvp and more useful for holding points.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Naught.2316

You’re right, actually. I remember a fellow named Vudani ran a build like this in sPvP ages ago, before Bleeds and Incendiary Powder were “changed”.

It was actually one of his favorite sPvP builds for Engineer and he ran it even after the nerfs, though with a few tweaks. But his play-style with it was very much “stay at max range and pick people off”. It wasn’t a build for holding points. It was, however, a build for “sniping” and keeping away from closer-range bursts.

I did try a rifle/grenade/bomb engineer outside of sPvP and found it to be fun, but I hate trying to use grenades at range against mobile targets, so the play-style amounted to getting on top of people, CCing and ruining their day at close-to-mid-range.

Very fun, but I also adore the idea of being a sniper. Depends on what you like, I suppose.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

bromi.7809

I hope when you talk ‘i tried it in spvp’ u talk AT LEAST about free tournaments. Cos in hot join i can play with 11111 u know. Very successfully if you maneuver right.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

bromi.7809

of being a sniper.

When your damage mostly come from blowtorch? Yeah…

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Naught.2316

I hope when you talk ‘i tried it in spvp’ u talk AT LEAST about free tournaments. Cos in hot join i can play with 11111 u know. Very successfully if you maneuver right.

U know? No, I don’t know. Maybe if you added some more hyperbole I’d finally understand how much of a superior player you are, and why you’re the ultimate connoisseur of not only competitive Engineer builds, but which builds deserve to be enjoyed by more casual players.

God forbid someone enjoys a build that isn’t aces in every form of play. That would be like enjoying this class even though we need a few buffs and bug-fixes.

And we can’t have that, now, can we?

of being a sniper.

When your damage mostly come from blowtorch? Yeah…

Blowtorch is my hardest-hitting Pistol weapon skill. That doesn’t mean that most of my damage on any one target comes from an ability on a 12-to-15-second timer.

You’re just full of sunshine, aren’t you?

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

bromi.7809

And we can’t have that, now, can we?

Excuse me being a bit obnoxious, but your irony is lost on me. I’m in no way superior player, and i’m all in for fun/entertainment builds but i’m all against presenting them to your noob neighbour jake as effective. Its just simple truth that in hot join / www not me, but ANYONE with decent tactical mind can be super effective by using autoattack. Its not gw2, its common practice for every competitive multiplayer game.
So the real test for build happens only when players are at least on some sort of common level of situation awareness / tactical movements and that.

That doesn’t mean that most of my damage

I’m sorry but if you talk about the topic one, p/p elixir build in spvp, it really MEANS that most of your damage comes from burning. 1/2 of pistols in spvp are really insignicant at the moment. That’s why you want rocket boots usually, to squeeze at least some more damage

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Naught.2316

Well, what was obnoxious about it was that the person you were responding to wasn’t even gushing about how effective it was in sPvP. I just didn’t see the point of the disparaging remark when he pretty much said “it was decent in sPvP, but probably better in open world”.

I suppose I can’t say anything about how pistols perform in sPvP, since I don’t have any experience with that. But what I do when I want to use Blowtorch is that I move in or let the enemy move in, use it at close range, drop Glue Shot and then scoot away. I can still use my other abilities at 1050 range, for whatever they’re worth.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Ayestes.1273

There is currently a Dual Pistols and Grenade condi build that is being used to great effect. It’s very similar to the build I used to run, but has Elixir S instead of Bombs. This opened up additional traits and defensive options while maintaining the offensive pressure it previously had. Top players such as Hiba, Powerr, and Teldo have been playing around with this lately. Basically, Dual Pistols perform very well in sPvP right now.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Daigle.8497

Daigle.8497

Excellent playing, and an excellent video. I might have to look into elixirs again, now that I’ve seen them being utilized very well.

I do have a random suggestion though. It’s probably because I don’t understand your build and playstyle entirely too well, but… Even though you’re milking the Coated bullets for all they’re worth, what if you trade…

Elixir C, cloaking device, Coated bullets
for
Flamethrower kit, Kit Refinement, Juggernaut?

You can build decent stacks of might without using any cooldowns, (while you wait for pistol cooldowns, running, and whatnot) and Kit refinement can help purge conditions.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Naught.2316

Elixir C was taken as a tradeoff for Elixir U, which is a good DPS elixir. What you get with Elixir C is not one, but two condition removers on 30 second cooldowns.

But what you also get is added DPS. For each boon you have, you get +1% damage. You wait until some shmuck stacks a bunch of conditions on you, and then you use Elixir C to get a ton of boons, and additional damage.

The Flamethrower is a good tradeoff though, as the stats you run this build with complement the Kit, the kit comes with additional burns and Incendiary Ammo, and you get all sorts of nice tricks like a blowback and another blind. Not to mention the Might. You just sort of have to run with 409 for something like that, because one condition remover seems like it wouldn’t be enough.

I actually throw Flamethrower onto this build, swap the traits around and get Energized Armor instead of Kit Refinement when I feel like using it. In that case I’m inclined to lose Elixir S but keep Elixir C, though. In that setup you lose your stun-breaker… but you can use Smoke Vent while stunned for some added defense. And since you have multiple condition removals at that point, you can keep your Elixir duration increase, or get Kit Refinement or something if you want to be beefier.

If you did want to dedicate the build to Flamethrower, Kit Refinement might be a fine choice, because I think you can swap kits while stunned, offering another potential stun-breaker.

(edited by Naught.2316)

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Really? I constantly have people run from me in spvp, have yet to try wvw tho.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

That was a really cool vid, great music too! I was on the floor laughing at that warrior with a legendary weapon that kept swinging at air, I mean he must have not hit you more than once or twice it was hilarious!

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: ragas.1843

ragas.1843

good movie , you got nice control on your char. but i fell sorry for those necromancers i was watching then and i was WTF why but why,with that amount off boom’s why no one? carry a’’ corrupt boom ’’ really ,why in 1-1 they are using staff WTF. good movie keep it up

Micro[VcY]call center manager

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Alkaline.2809

Alkaline.2809

good movie , you got nice control on your char. but i fell sorry for those necromancers i was watching then and i was WTF why but why,with that amount off boom’s why no one? carry a’’ corrupt boom ’’ really ,why in 1-1 they are using staff WTF. good movie keep it up

Sometimes corrupt boon doesn’t work even when close to opponent.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

That was a really cool vid, great music too! I was on the floor laughing at that warrior with a legendary weapon that kept swinging at air, I mean he must have not hit you more than once or twice it was hilarious!

He was really bad or maybe just lagging alot, I almost cut that fight out of the vid because of how bad he played. It’s hard enough for a good greatsword warrior to hit me, its impossible for a bad one.

I have a necro too and Im fairly sure a necro should easily beat me if they have the proper utilities slotted. I disagree on staff being bad for a 1v1 tho, staff 4 can be devastating if used well, staff 3 and 5 can be very annoying too. I wouldn’t recommend keeping the staff for the whole fight, but it certainly can have a place in a 1v1.

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Posted by: Muhlum.7348

Muhlum.7348

How’s this build work vs thieves?

80 Guardian
80 Engineer
[Lost] – Tarnished Coast

Run ! - a WvW movie

in Engineer

Maskaganda.2043

it works fine for me but it varies from thief to thief and even engie to engie. bursty d/d thieves are generaly very easy to beat if you have your cooldowns ready. condition p/d thieves are tougher, especially if they run condition removal + regen on stealth, those fights last long, very long.