Really hating the villains of LS S2.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

And the reason is because my main is an Engineer.

And all this hate is due to one boon that most the enemies of this story seem to be able to permanently maintain….Retaliation.

Whether I’m using Grenade Kit or Flamethrower Kit, Retal just tears me a new one. And I could just use other attacks while Retal is up, but most of these Mordrem are maintaining near 100% Retal uptime! No fun!

/rant.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Engineer

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

If it gets that bad, you can try using mines to strip the retal (I assume this works, haven’t actually tried it), or switch over to something like bomb kit which is inherently less vulnerable to retaliation.

in Engineer

Shaogin.2679

If it gets that bad, you can try using mines to strip the retal (I assume this works, haven’t actually tried it), or switch over to something like bomb kit which is inherently less vulnerable to retaliation.

Mines would work except in the case of Mordrem Wolves, the Retal is either frequently reapplied via AoE howls or it is just a permanent buff.

I could use Bomb or Tool kit, but I’d miss my nades and flames.

Gate of Madness

in Engineer

Shaogin.2679

I’m perfectly ok with retal in the sense it counters fast, frequent attacks like the flamethrower and nades. It gives depth to the fight, makes me pay attention and see that I need to strip the boon or use a different method of attacking. When the boon is constant however, it means that my only choice is to not use ft or nades for the majority of fights. makes me sad.

Gate of Madness

in Engineer

Posted by: Stallerenox.1295

Stallerenox.1295

The irony is that a flamethrower is the worst option to use when trying to kill living plant monsters.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

what enemies besides the wolves get retal? i never noticed anything else getting it.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Shaogin.2679

what enemies besides the wolves get retal? i never noticed anything else getting it.

Some of the Inquest Golems have a perma Retal buff as well. And those pesky wolves buff all mordrem within range of the AoE howl with Retal.

Gate of Madness

in Engineer

Shaogin.2679

The irony is that a flamethrower is the worst option to use when trying to kill living plant monsters.

This exactly. And really, Anet buffs FT, then gives generous amounts of retal to this seasons villains. >. <

Gate of Madness

in Engineer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Sorry, the Dragon is smart and reacted preemptively to what you would do. Now you have to adapt. Get on with it.

Also … who says Bombs aren’t just as good at killing plants?

Let’s go find 2 of the same type of shrub. I’ll plant a bomb on one and you light the other on fire. We’ll see how each one does.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

This exactly. And really, Anet buffs FT, then gives generous amounts of retal to this seasons villains. >. <

To be fair, the villains had retaliation before Flamethrower got buffed.

in Engineer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Adapt and overcome through superior firepower, this is our creed. I get it that people have a favorite setup, but sometimes you just gotta use stuff that you wouldn’t normally use. You will do well in this game if you don’t become one of those players that set’s their kits and then refuses to ever use anything besides them.

in Engineer

Shaogin.2679

Adapt and overcome through superior firepower, this is our creed. I get it that people have a favorite setup, but sometimes you just gotta use stuff that you wouldn’t normally use. You will do well in this game if you don’t become one of those players that set’s their kits and then refuses to ever use anything besides them.

I’m pretty sure everyone using the Flamethrower in pve is well aware that it isn’t optimal and is just having fun. No need to start posting advice on how to play in a thread joking about the irony of Flamethrowers and plant monsters.

Gate of Madness

in Engineer

Shaogin.2679

Sorry, the Dragon is smart and reacted preemptively to what you would do. Now you have to adapt. Get on with it.

Also … who says Bombs aren’t just as good at killing plants?

Let’s go find 2 of the same type of shrub. I’ll plant a bomb on one and you light the other on fire. We’ll see how each one does.

You too. Take your serious posts elsewhere. Just people joking and having fun here.

Gate of Madness

in Engineer

ShadowPuppet.3746

I’m pretty sure everyone using the Flamethrower in pve is well aware that it isn’t optimal and is just having fun. No need to start posting advice on how to play in a thread joking about the irony of Flamethrowers and plant monsters.

So then the point of your post is what exactly? You seemed upset that you were struggling with certain mobs because of retal and indicated that you would miss using grenades and flamethrower too much to switch. I offered advice on not becoming too attached to certain kits if you are struggling with aforementioned mobs. When you post on a public forum, expect that you will have people who will respond.

in Engineer

Shaogin.2679

So then the point of your post is what exactly? You seemed upset that you were struggling with certain mobs because of retal and indicated that you would miss using grenades and flamethrower too much to switch. I offered advice on not becoming too attached to certain kits if you are struggling with aforementioned mobs. When you post on a public forum, expect that you will have people who will respond.

The post was a joke about the retal on plant bosses countering a flamethrower. Everyone else got it and contributed to a fun atmosphere. Went right over your head however and all you saw was someone that needed you teach them how to play a game mastered by 8 year old kids around the world. Thank you captain obvious, but the situation is under control here, now move along.

Gate of Madness

in Engineer

ShadowPuppet.3746

The post was a joke about the retal on plant bosses countering a flamethrower. Everyone else got it and contributed to a fun atmosphere. Went right over your head however and all you saw was someone that needed you teach them how to play a game mastered by 8 year old kids around the world. Thank you captain obvious, but the situation is under control here, now move along.

If you say so, reading the posts it didn’t seem like everyone “got it”. Either way, there is really no need to try and be insulting to people who offer advice. Maybe you didn’t need the specific advice given but maybe someone who is new or struggling with the issue you described could benefit from it. Be well.

(edited by ShadowPuppet.3746)

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

bombs? ö.ö

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”