Req: Please auto-reequip engineer toolkits

in Engineer

Posted by: Hextun.9413

Hextun.9413

Currently, in several situations, engineer toolkits (e.g. Bomb Kit, Flamethrower, Med Kit) do not automatically reequip when the player’s toolbar changes.

The best example is when harvesting. Equip a kit (I use a FT build, so for me I would have Flamethrower equipped). Start harvesting a wood or metal node. Interrupt the harvest after the second swing. Your kit is still equipped because no reequip animation was triggered. Start harvesting the node again (to pick up the last tap, more if you got bonus taps). After the third and final strike in the sequence, the harvesting tool will automatically stow and force a reequip, but instead of simply putting your Flamethrower (or other kit) back into place, you get your base weapon.

Other situations include transitioning into and back out of water (a little more forgiveable since you’re truly transitioning to a different weapon, but couldn’t there be a transient variable that isn’t serialized back to permanent storage to mark you had a kit going?), sometimes freeze or other effects, environmental items intended for immediate use (i.e. like the stones you throw during Jade Construct) which, once thrown and you land, reequip your weapon, not the kit you had.

I know it would be yet one more variable to include but it would be a nice QoL improvement.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

is this only an issue in bloodstone fen or are you talking about other maps as well

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: hornswroggle.8023

hornswroggle.8023

is this only an issue in bloodstone fen or are you talking about other maps as well

It’s everywhere, not just BF. It’s with EVERY environmental pickup, transformation or tech-imposed weapon swap.
It’s between “annoying” and “very annoying”, but since Kits don’t have a CD (unlike Conjured weapons) a practised engineer will get used to constantly re-equipping them manually.
Yes it would be awesome if it got fixed, but if not it’s not the end of the World.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

My kits stay equipped after harvesting unless I use some sort of gathering booster.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I use streamlined kits. I haven’t even noticed this.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

head to bloodstone fen and turn on your flamethrower camping build and youll notice it pretty much instantly as you wander around fighting rng for blood rubies. cant miss it.

although i havent noticed it elsewhere.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Hextun.9413

Hextun.9413

Hi all, I figured I would follow up with a few observations.

Firstly, I do not use Streamlined Kits on my build nor can I think of any other traits or effects I regularly use which could affect this.

Secondly, up until I read these responses I would say it happened with roughly 95% consistency, occasionally not switching out of my FT kit after gathering and making me do a double take. I don’t recall that (i.e. auto-switching back to my originally equipped FT kit) happening twice in a row.

… until recently. I swear it’s like a developer read my post and flipped a flag on my account to address this since I am no longer able to reproduce the issue. At all. I have tried harvesting to completion, interrupting harvesting after the final strike but before the finishing animation completes, etc. I have tried with and without boosters. I actually turned on Streamlined Kits and then turned them back off. I am now gathering and not losing my FT kit in the process.

As a developer myself and someone who has more than once had to respond to a bug report with “could not duplicate; please provide steps”, I cannot tell you how frustrating this is. As far as I know, nothing about my character, my account, my build, or my activities, has changed in a way which could explain suddenly everything working.

If anyone (myself included) can come up with a consistent means of duplicating this, please post here. I don’t think the problem is addressed, I think I’m somehow avoiding it now. When I get a chance I will post a link to my build in case anyone sees something in there they think may be part of the problem. shrug