Returning, how's Engi doing?

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Hello Engi’s

Been away from game for a while and just started logging on again. How is the class doing currently in both PvE and WvWvW?

What builds are good for each?

Has FT found any love in the last 6 months?

Have conditions found any love PvE wise?

I ran a lot of zerker Bomb, Grenade and SD builds. Always wanted a viable FT build but never found a real one.

I quit just after LA was invaded n destroyed.

Thanks much,

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Engineer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Hello Engi’s

Been away from game for a while and just started logging on again. How is the class doing currently in both PvE and WvWvW?

What builds are good for each?

Has FT found any love in the last 6 months?

Have conditions found any love PvE wise?

I ran a lot of zerker Bomb, Grenade and SD builds. Always wanted a viable FT build but never found a real one.

I quit just after LA was invaded n destroyed.

Thanks much,

Blood~

Welcome back Blood, gk or bk is still the way to go for dungeons… however working the ft in as one of the kits is more than acceptable now due to flame blast being an actual blast finisher on a short cooldown. FT works great for open world pve, but even with the buff to flame jet the auto attack still does much less damage and doesn’t provide vuln like nades or bombs. Most pve “meta” builds are 6/6/0/0/2 or 6/6/0/2/0 and still using zerker or assassin gear since condi’s are still in the exact same place they were before you left. For WvW not much has changed there either, anything you used to play will still be just as effective.

Here is the list of changes from the most recent patch:
Power Wrench:
This trait now increases the base damage of Tool Kit abilities by 10% instead of adding the crippled condition to wrench attacks. The crippled condition for wrench attacks is now baseline for the kit.
Always Prepared:
This trait now creates oil slicks near the engineer’s location for 4 seconds in addition to dropping med packs.
Elite Supplies:
Elite Supplies no longer grants extra duration to Elixir X. Instead, it now gives 50% increased movement speed while transformed.
Accelerant-Packed Turrets:
Knock-back distance of this trait has been reduced from 300 to 150.
Rocket Turret:
Explosive Rockets:
Increased the velocity of this attack by 50%. This missile now tracks targets.
Flamethrower:
Flame Jet:
Increased damage by 33%.
Detonate Flame Blast:
This skill is now a blast finisher.
Air Blast:
This skill is now more visible when used. The attack of this skill has been delayed by around 0.25 seconds.
Napalm:
This skill now delivers a damaging attack on each pulse.
Elixir R:
Casting time of this skill has been reduced by 0.25 seconds. This skill now removes immobilize.
Toss Elixir C:
This skill now converts 2 conditions on allies into boons. Increased radius from 180 to 240. The underwater version’s radius remains 240.
Tool Kit Wrench Combo (Smack, Whack, Thwack):
These skills no longer require Power Wrench to cripple enemies.
Throw Wrench:
This skill now cripples as a base mechanic and no longer needs to be traited with Power Wrench.
Launch Personal Battering Ram:
Increased damage by 20%.
Utility Goggles:
Analyze:
This skill now places 6 seconds of revealed on the target in addition to vulnerability.
Med Kit
Antidote:
This ability will now be consumed if the engineer drops the vial while immobilized.
Glue Shot:
Increased projectile velocity by 50%.
A.E.D.:
In addition to healing, this skill now removes all damaging conditions if the engineer would take a lethal blow.
Explosive Elixirs:
Removed a confusing bleeding trait fact when Shrapnel is equipped.
Jump Shot:
Updated the skill facts to display the correct amount of damage with the Rifled Barrels and Rifle Mod traits equipped.
Mortar:
Launch Mortar Shot:
Updated this skill to benefit from traits that improve explosives.
Launch Ice Mortar:
Launch Ice Mortar:
Updated the damage skill fact for this skill to be more accurate.
Launch Concussion Barrage:
Fixed a bug that caused each shell fired from this skill to explode twice.
Updated the damage skill fact for this skill to be more accurate.
Mortar Skills:
Fixed a bug that would cause the global cooldown for mortar skills to vary.
Fixed a bug that would cause the mortar to occasionally jam.
Torpedo Shot:
Updated the damage on the skill fact to correctly scale with the Rifle Mod trait.
Grenade Barrage:
Added Number of Targets facts to the underwater and traited versions of Grenade Barrage. Fixed the listed radius of the underwater traited version to its actual radius (120).
Blowtorch:
Fixed a bug that caused the untraited version of this skill to hit twice.

in Engineer

Posted by: Spyritdragon.6048

Spyritdragon.6048

First of all yes, muchbto my squeals of excitement, FT has been buffed to what i consider viability. Its not more damaging than nades i think, but its still awesome.

Most importantly: 33% damage boost on AA, blast finisher on 2. Small cast time increase on 3, but nothing too big. Napalm deals damage per tick aside the burning applied.

Conditions, sadly, still kinda useless in PvE. Meta is still zerk, as was to be expected.

PvE, engis are as variable as ever. I suggest Wolfineers FT/rifle power build for a FT build – its a prepatch (the engi buffbcame with the september feature pack) build hut still applicable imo.

In WvW engis are very useful too, in my opinion. Grenades are still awesome when running in zergs – you get 1.5k range allowing you to blast enemies from walls and distance, allowing you to even run zerk builds for ridiculous damage without too much danger. I complement this with tool kit, for the 3s block and magnet pull – magnet pull can pull fleeing enemies within reach of the very front of your zerg, giving you a very easy loot bag. Some skills now also cripple even without the trait. Last skill i use rocket boots for rapid repositioning or fleeing – along with speedy kits, very few people can catch you.

In roaming, engis act much like in PvP with the exception you cant bunker up. Not many changes gere, apart from the viability of flamethrower in builds. Condi builds, SD builds, all still works pretty much as previously. Fun thing to note is that Analyse, from utility goggles, now also provides 6s of revealed, making it easier to catch thieves if youre prepared. Elixir R also removes immobilise and AED removes damaging conditions.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

Well that sounds pretty good! TY for the input, looks like I’ll be messing around with some stuff tonight.

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Engineer

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Ele Fiery Greatsword #4 has been nerfed. Previously that skill was not only used to deal a lot of damage but also in combination with with Eles’ Air Magic 5 and/or Warriors’ Rending Strikes (Arms V) to inflict lots of Vulnerability.
Thus, a character that can inflict a lot of Vulnerability has become more valuable; and a grenade Engineer can inflict Vulnerability very well.

edit:
Regarding Flamethrower:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Camping-flamethrower-feels-wrong/first#post4433767