Rifle animations & moves disapointing and lacking

in Engineer

Posted by: Caatalyst.7289

Caatalyst.7289

Hi Everyone,

I’ve read that quite a few people feel the same about their experiences with rifles as an engineer in Guild Wars 2.

My main disapointments;

- The way the character holds a rifle
Hip Shot looks so weak when holding a big sniper rifle.
- The sound
The sound of the rifle is weaker than the pistol, It needs more ummph
- The moves for the rifle
They are all close range? They should be long range as we have the flamethrower.

I never use rifles for this reason and I wanted to see if anybody else felt the same?

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

You got a single fact to support that our rifles are considered a sniper rifle if your going claim it is so? Most of the skins look akin to a shot gun and not a sniper rifle.

Hip shot looks tough if you ask me.

We really didn’t need yet another new thread on this by the way, if you poke around the least bit you would have been capable of finding the already on going discussions on this topic.
the range is great. It works to push enemies back, and does a nice AoE with bleed for those who get to close.

I completely disagree with your assessment.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

(edited by coglin.1496)

in Engineer

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

You got a single fact to support that our rifles are considered a sniper rifle if your going claim it is so? Most of the skins look akin to a shot gun and not a sniper rifle.

Hip shot looks tough if you ask me.

We really didn’t need yet another new thread on this by the way, if you poke around the least bit you would have been capable of finding the already on going discussions on this topic.
the range is great. It works to push enemies back, and does a nice AoE with bleed for those who get to close.

I completely disagree with your assessment.

The claim that rifle skins are a minority is blatantly false like most the claims you make. There are what 5 shotgun skins in this game?

Blunderbuss is a great skill

The knockback is useful against guardians, thieves and dagger eles but we are primarily a close ranged class and as such putting distance between us and our opponent is normally a bad idea.

Rocketjump is clunky and doesn’t do much damage.

I have yet to see that thread that you mentioned where most agreed that hipshot was awesome.

Only one I found was the one with only you saying it was good and the rest saying it looked stupid.

in Engineer

coglin.1496

So your suggesting that there are 5 or more that represent “sniper rifles” since you are arguing on the side that “most” skins are that of a sniper rifle as the OP suggest?

What does “rocket jump” have to do with anything? It is not an engineer skill.

in Engineer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Personally I don’t mind the hip shot animation, with the legendary skin I suppose it looks a little off and would like to see them make a skin that does resemble the “feel” of the weapon. I realize everyone has their opinions about engineer rifle but all in all I think it is a fantastic weapon. Yes jump shot can be a touch finicky to land at times but when you can get it to connect on both hits it does pretty decent damage, combined with 3 then 4. Granted I use the weapon primarily as a control weapon but I switch between kits often since they are on such short cooldowns for swap and except for in rare cases I prefer it over the p/x combo. Again these are only my opinions, and I am probably in the rare minority that thinks the rifle is exactly where it should be but it suits me well.

in Engineer

nofo.8469

So your suggesting that there are 5 or more that represent “sniper rifles” since you are arguing on the side that “most” skins are that of a sniper rifle as the OP suggest?

What does “rocket jump” have to do with anything? It is not an engineer skill.

My apologies, I meant jump shot. Pretty sure you knew what I meant given the topic at hand but just felt like being an kitten

Sniper rifles are just rifles with a scope and a few small accuracy modifications.

Hip fire looks stupid with rifles of any type, especially sniper rifles.

And yes, there are far more rifles skins than shotgun skins.

in Engineer

Posted by: Devinchi.2756

Devinchi.2756

Our rifle is a shotgun. It has shotgun styled skills and performs optimally at close range. In the great history of shotguns in games, the vast majority are hip fired. The only reason it’s called a rifle is because it would be ridiculous to have a weapon such as a shotgun that is entirely unique to a single class. The sooner people accept this, the fewer of these threads we’ll have to read.

Heavy Charrtillery – lvl 80 Engineer
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Engineer

coglin.1496

Sniper rifles are just rifles with a scope and a few small accuracy modifications.

Again you make claims and assumptions to twist things to your agenda.

I can put slugs in a shot gun, put one of many scopes designed for a shot gun and by your definition it is a sniper rifle.

Our rifle is a shotgun. It has shotgun styled skills and performs optimally at close range. In the great history of shotguns in games, the vast majority are hip fired. The only reason it’s called a rifle is because it would be ridiculous to have a weapon such as a shotgun that is entirely unique to a single class. The sooner people accept this, the fewer of these threads we’ll have to read.

Not to mention that they do not make weapons specific to one class and one class alone in this game. For the sake of using weapons across more then one class they have to call the all rifles or all shot guns.
Feel free to post an actual fact to your claim that there are more “sniper rifle” in the game then shot guns.

(edited by coglin.1496)

in Engineer

nofo.8469

I can put slugs in a shot gun, put one of many scopes designed for a shot gun and by your definition it is a sniper rifle.

Not to mention that they do not make weapons specific to one class and one class alone in this game. For the sake of using weapons across more then one class they have to call the all rifles or all shot guns.
Feel free to post an actual fact to your claim that there are more “sniper rifle” in the game then shot guns.

Shotgun + slug != sniper rifle. Rifles are called rifles because of rifling.

Great history of shotguns in games being hip fired? What? o_O

Go to PvP locker, there are a few things there that could be called a shotgun, quite a few things there that wouldn’t fall into any category, and quite a few rifles.

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

To be honest on a warrior I think it’s equally silly for them to be doing snipe type aimed shots with a blunderbuss graphic.

Ever seen a warrior using the default crafted exotic skin. It’s not the pinnacle of sexiness.

Although it could be if Quaggan were playing. They make anything sexy!

To honest though I have most of the rifle skins in my bank and with the exception of the norn, the hunter, and the legendary I can’t really say that most of the graphics are traditional rifles or sniper rifles.

Most of them are muskets or blunderbusses, which were actually fired from the hip.

I do think the rifle graphics are a bit funky but they most work for the weapon in the way we use it.

If we had warrior graphics we’d have those built in .5-1s stops which would completely break every ability on the rifle, in a similar fashion to jump shot.

To get the warrior firing graphics we’d need a total redesign. Which I do not mind as long as we do not lose rifle as it is, and it comes after much need bug fixes, and balancing to existing kits and skills.

in Engineer

coglin.1496

That is how they got named originally. By that definition. a vast amount of hand guns are rifles right? Because they have rifles barrels. It is a act that there are shot guns with rifling and none rifled “rifles” by name.

We have muskets in the game as well. Do they need to remake all the skills for that too?

(edited by coglin.1496)

in Engineer

nofo.8469

That is how they got named originally. Go ahead an retort claiming no shot guns have rifling and no “rifles” exist with out it so I can prove that statement wrong with links to em.

We have muskets in the game as well. Do they need to remake all the skills for that too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle

I don’t think rifle skills need to remade, I told you earlier in this thread and this one which skills I felt were lackluster and why.

in Engineer

coglin.1496

OMG here we with wiki references. Have you ever experienced something for yourself before you claim knowledge of it? If you had, you would know wikis are posted from any and everyone, and known to be riddled with holes and falsehoods at time.

I got novel idea. Try something such as an encyclopedia, with industry agreed facts.

Grab an encyclopedia and look up “smooth bore rifle” then look up “rifle bored shot guns”

(edited by coglin.1496)

in Engineer

nofo.8469

Yep, wiki is always full of ignorant kids posting wrong stuff.

Shotguns are clearly commonly rifled and rifles are commonly smooth bore.

Get over yourself.

in Engineer

coglin.1496

Yep, wiki is always full of ignorant kids posting wrong stuff.

Shotguns are clearly commonly rifled and rifles are commonly smooth bore.

Get over yourself.

" 60 percent of Wikipedia entries contained factual errors ."

Ned Potter-ABC News.

“Six out of 10 Wikipedia business entries contain factual errors”

The Telegraph

I have nothing about my self to get over, but thank you. It is a matter of trying to argue something you are not familiar with, then using a well known to be inaccurate, factually, as your “fact” support.

Or as John Peters posted when debating stuff with folk such as yourself on these very forums.

In order to keep this discussion productive we should try a couple of things (I know it’s the internet, but I have faith in all of us ):

) Provide evidence of our opinions, assuming your experience is indicative of all experiences is a fallacy.

) Make an attempt to be unbiased.

(edited by coglin.1496)

in Engineer

nofo.8469

You’re seriously trying to tell me how to discuss when you come up with this:

To me saying that a sniper rifle is just a modified rifle? Yes you are right, if you change all of the parts of a shotgun you could potentially turn it into a sniper rifle, kudos?

Tell me which parts of the wiki pages I sent you are errors, actually please correct them yourself so poor ignorant people like me don’t make uninformed opinions.

Ok, when have you ever shown evidence for your opinions? Ever. Seriously in that other thread concerning this very topic you made complete lies up and were called on it twice.

You are about as unbiased as I am.

in Engineer

coglin.1496

Look chief. Cry, whine, complain all you like. Make up what ever you like. Do what ever you want to prove the rifles in this game are actually “rifled” rifles.

Then look at the skill names and look up, oh, say, ’blunderbus", for example.

Look bud, fact is, “rifle” by name in game or not, it is a shotgun in ability, concept, and theme. Deal with it.

Hip shooting with a piercing bullet looks mean and tuff as I see it. It is indicative with utilizing a shot gun.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jarl.8607

Jarl.8607

My main disapointments;

- The way the character holds a rifle
Hip Shot looks so weak when holding a big sniper rifle.
- The sound
The sound of the rifle is weaker than the pistol, It needs more ummph
- The moves for the rifle
They are all close range? They should be long range as we have the flamethrower.

I never use rifles for this reason and I wanted to see if anybody else felt the same?

I use rifles for 85-90% of my game play.

Hip shot: I don’t care. It’s just the way they look for a second and even if it’s not right for instinctive shooting (which is what it simulates) it doesn’t effect the way the rifle/shotgun/musket/blunderbuss/“whatever you wanna call it” works.

Sound: The rifle/shotgun/musket/blunderbuss/“whatever you wanna call it” sounds fine with my set up. Do you have a subwoofer?

Range: It’s not a long range weapon at all. In fact, nothing about the engineer says it’s a long ranged class. Sure the ability to do some long range damage is there, but we are primarily a short/mid-ranged profession.

That said, I would not mind it Anet were to add some range in, but I expect that to happen only after a nerf to the class, which I don’t really want. Honestly, we do pretty well right now and I don’t want any big changes until after all our skills and traits are in 100% working condition.

Engineer – lvl 80 – Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: spacemayu.4817

spacemayu.4817

I love the Engineer animations, reading the discussion here makes my head really hurt!

It should be made absolutely clear that the name distinctions are entirely arbitrary. And because of the fact that items in the game are named “shotgun”; and the fact that there originally wasn’t even going to be a rifle (the original rifle WAS a shotgun until they decided to give the warrior a gun too). We can conclude that yes, the engineer’s “rifle” is a shotgun all but in name.

Just remember that this is a fantasy MMO and not your next call of duty game.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I take the skill ‘blundebuss" like a clue. Blunderbuss’ were a precursor to the shotgun amd were shot from the hip on the larger models becasue holding them like a rifle would cause the powder flare to burn your face. The smaller models were held at arms length for the same reason.

edit: Karast beat me to it.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Engineer

Posted by: SaintJust.9534

SaintJust.9534

The tech in this game is Victorian steampunk level at best (plain Medieval at worst), so I think anyone imagining our guns are “sniper rifles” is stretching it. The best they’re likely to be for range and accuracy is a rifled musket (like an American Civil War rifle), but since they fire rapidly I guess you have to imagine that they’re lever-action or have some other mystery action that you can’t easily see from looking at them. Anyway, point is, they’re probably loaded with black powder (some skills reference it) and then whatever kind of shot you want. You could load them with pellets, which explains how you can use the Blunderbuss skill when your gun looks like a musket rather than an actual blunderbuss (though some do), or even exploding shells, which can explain some other skills. I mean a lot of it’s pure fantasy and doesn’t make any sense, but TL;DR they’re 18th-19th-Century muskets, rifled muskets, and blunderbusses that somehow miraculously fire really fast and don’t need to be muzzle-loaded.

in Engineer

Posted by: MuxyKillin.7036

MuxyKillin.7036

my two bits: ALL GUNS ARE TECHNOMAGIC! as in a blend of asura technomagicry and charr ingenuity, maybe a light seasoning of blacksmithing in some cases

in Engineer

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

As the discussion has run its course, this thread is closed.