Rifle change that could make it competitive

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

So rifle kinda needs a bit of a change IMO not saying its crap or an awful weapon, but I feel it needs some changes to fit its current melee/short range playstyle.

Rifle Auto: Change this to function at up to 900 range using the same damage style as the current blunderbuss more damage closer less damage farther away with a cone of effect.

Netshot: Reduce the snare duration, make it fire a wall style net that can hit up to 3 targets?

Blunderbuss: Change this to act like a long range high burst attack 1200 range with higher cast that fires two slugg rounds that pierce and are unblockable, keeping it with a two packets of damage ability give the counterplay of dodging at least half the skill.

Overcharge shot: I feel this is actually pretty good no real changes are needed for it

Jumpshot: Evade on at least a small one could be used not too long so you can still time a interrupt against it.

Just my ideas

in Engineer

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scrap_Rifle_Field_Test

would be a proper replacement for engi rifle

in Engineer

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

Lol scrap rifle really would be a massive upgrade rifle is simply left behind. I’m a bit surprised rifle got such minior changes when it finally got some attention blunderbuss more bleeding and 10% damage in all game modes which is good but then a nerf to jump shot for some reason initial leap damage cut by 56% lol while only buffing the landing zone by 28% lol.

Personally felt like rifle would have been the best candidate for at least using the new ammunition system on but guess not…..

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Thing is that I think Rifle might become meta alongside Holosmith vs. players. if Holosmith becames a meta build and utilizes rifle strongly, than it’s kind of premature to buff it

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

i think the biggest reason rifle wont see any buff soon is simply because of static discharge

because to be fair engi rifle has massive burst dps potential when it isnt cancelled by projectile hate

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Rifle Auto: Change this to function at up to 900 range using the same damage style as the current blunderbuss more damage closer less damage farther away with a cone of effect.

lootstick alert! lootstick alert!

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

yeah anything over 600 range with cone fire is cheap

in Engineer

Posted by: Sobin.5947

Sobin.5947

Can someone give me a low down of what’s the real deal with Engie? This forum seems to be lots of complaints, most people say the rifle is useless but browsing other forums, people seem to say engie is OP.

I’m still trying to learn the game, it’s complicated as all heck. I’d love to try rifle out again, but it seems everyone is split if it’s viable or not (and meta battle doesn’t have rifle stuff)

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Can someone give me a low down of what’s the real deal with Engie? This forum seems to be lots of complaints, most people say the rifle is useless but browsing other forums, people seem to say engie is OP.

I’m still trying to learn the game, it’s complicated as all heck. I’d love to try rifle out again, but it seems everyone is split if it’s viable or not (and meta battle doesn’t have rifle stuff)

Engi is awesome, it has a solid place in PvP and is one of the highest condi DPS in raids.

Don’t come to the official forums for real discussions about professions. Inability to downvote really hinders the forums, you can’t separate the ridiculous from the constructive and threads often get derailed into the same pointless whining. “Upvotes” and “downvotes” are your hint of where to go for GW2 discussion.

About rifle… the power Engi build in Metabattle (or qtfy) uses rifle not sure what you’re looking at. It’s just not as good as condi right now, Holosmith may disrupt that.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

(edited by Adamantium.3682)

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

yeah anything over 600 range with cone fire is cheap

not that im against it but i dont see it happening

in Engineer

Posted by: Sobin.5947

Sobin.5947

Engi is awesome, it has a solid place in PvP and is one of the highest condi DPS in raids.

Don’t come to the official forums for real discussions about professions. Inability to downvote really hinders the forums, you can’t separate the ridiculous from the constructive and threads often get derailed into the same pointless whining. “Upvotes” and “downvotes” are your hint of where to go for GW2 discussion.

About rifle… the power Engi build in Metabattle (or qtfy) uses rifle not sure what you’re looking at. It’s just not as good as condi right now, Holosmith may disrupt that.

What about wvw? I see some people playing with rifle but i’m not sure if its viable there?

in Engineer

Posted by: Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

Treat the Rifle as a CC weapon rather than a DPS weapon. Yes it has some burst but overall it was always meant to be used in unison with the heavier hitting kits, for example the old 1000 ’nades build for the early glory days.

I currently run a Mortar kit setup for WvW (admittedly for running in the zerg) that uses Rifle more for CCing fleeing foes and a quick bit of burst for finishing them off. That said I think there was a ‘Drunk’ rifle engi build around here somewhere that its user was having success with in PvP.

If I were to improve the current rifle then I’d be looking at making net shot more reliable/effective and giving that evade to Jump Shot.

Otherwise if it were a complete overhaul then swap blunderbuss with hipshot, though reduce overal damage and bleed, make net shot into a solid slug shot that has additional effects if the target it moving, hipshot would become a long range, heavy damage shot, Overcharge and Jump Shot would remain where they were. Basically make the rifle more of a shotgun than a rifle.

in Engineer

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

It’s not that rifle is bad. It’s that it’s unreliable. You want your skills to work, but a lot of the time they don’t and it ends up getting you killed.

If you Overcharged Shot, and your target has an on-cc proc trait like Last Stand, you die. If it hits reflect, you die.

If you Jump Shot at your opponent, but hit cc mid-air, you probably die.

If you net shot your opponent (assuming it actually hits), they’re likely to break that immob instantly without even thinking about it or just not even be affected (resistance, movement skills, etc.)

Also, the autoattack damage feels pretty meh sometimes. A lot of builds run around with perma-protection and some block or projectile hate. It’s difficult to put enough pressure on these opponents, and some can just out-heal your damage.

For all that, it’s still useable (barely), and it will be good with Holo, but that will be because Holo is overtuned, not because Rifle is balanced.

(edited by coro.3176)

in Engineer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Anet already has a fix coming for rifle, it’s called Holosmith

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

It’s not fair to judge Holosmith by watching Chaith play… and yeah it was against someone testing Spellbreaker… but that was really cool.

Overcharged Shot becomes a very powerful skill when you have on demand stability and auto stun breaks!

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

The majority of that mobility wasn’t even from rifle it was rocket boots and it looks like tools gadgeteer trait which makes rocket boots insanely good for mobility that was the highlight of that vid for me anyway rifle 5 was used as an extra leap but it wasn’t the main source.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

our rifle is a joke
will be an even bigger joke in WvW once thief gets their Deadeye spec with high burst 1500 range rifles

in Engineer

Chaith.8256

lol @ video of me just running in circles trolling 2 people at far.. hardly a Holosmith highlight reel.

You can watch me use Rifle with Holosmith for 11hrs:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/168449799

Rifle is very useful with Holosmith Stability

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

it does look promising with holosmith

in Engineer

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

lol @ video of me just running in circles trolling 2 people at far.. hardly a Holosmith highlight reel.

It was stated in the video that I was only persuing the fight for the experience agianst the class, and that if I was seriously trying to win I would have been elsewhere.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in Engineer

Chaith.8256

It was stated in the video that I was only persuing the fight for the experience agianst the class, and that if I was seriously trying to win I would have been elsewhere.

Nice. All i said is that it’s not a good display of Holosmith or rifle

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in Engineer

Posted by: Tyaen.5148

Tyaen.5148

You can watch me use Rifle with Holosmith for 11hrs:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/168449799

Rifle is very useful with Holosmith Stability

What skin is that?

Tyyaen – Engineer (80) [SS]
http://camelotunchained.com/v3/

in Engineer

Posted by: Ivantreil.3092

Ivantreil.3092

For keep some things clear, blunderbuss and Jump shot are actually good at their job, wich is damage in general.

The autoattack its not that bad, a slight number adjustments would be good enough, no need to touch its range or make it unblockable.

I can understand people complaining of how harming can overcharged be in use, wich i have learnt to always use while in stability effects, or if i know that i have a cc break off cd, i would suggest to keep its weaknessess at exchange of a more powerful blow, give damage bonus, conditions, etc?

The only skill i have no simpathy is the second skill, a remove aegis skill in a 12 sec cd, and even if the opponent has no removals against the net shot, its duration its nothing threatening at all, a massive buff or rework would be the solution for this skill.

PvP Rifle Engi player no matter how dark the meta is.

Metabattle: Drunk Engineer build

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

compare rifle to other professions ranged power weapons and yoou will see ours is a joke
Ele
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fireball
Rev
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hammer_Bolt
Ranger
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Long_Range_Shot

they all deal twice our auto damage and have better power scaling
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hip_Shot

then theres the burst skills
again if you compared them ours not only are high risk close range skills but ours are still 50%+ weaker compared to others
and in some cases such as ele and revenant are non projectiles so they can ignore reflects

our rifle is in a terrible state right now

I’d rather they removed static discharge and gave us a proper rifle skill set

today i boosted my revenant to lvl 80 and was baffled by how i was immediatedly destroying zergs with 12k hammer shockwaves and 8k knockdowns all from 1200 range while giving my allies fury and might

i used runes of the traveler to avoid use of swift facet wich allows me to spam skills

Rifle is ok for pvp but outside of PvP its garbage

(edited by Rezzet.3614)

in Engineer

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

So, regarding those autoattacks..

Using the ‘actual attack speed’ listed on the wiki, we get*

• Ranger: 347.0 (0.9) = 312.3 dps
  • Rev: 306.4 (0.95) = 291.1 dps
  • Ele: 288.6 (1.0) = 288.6 dps
  • … Engi: 326.2 (0.65) = 212.0 dps

So the base dps is actually pretty similar for those weapons. As you point out, the real question for our rifle auto is: Why is our power scaling so terrible?

.* Actual dps depends on stats + target armour. This is just the relative dps

(edited by coro.3176)

in Engineer

Posted by: RedSPINE.7845

RedSPINE.7845

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scrap_Rifle_Field_Test

would be a proper replacement for engi rifle

Well that’s half of the Flamethrower’s skills.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

So, regarding those autoattacks..

Using the ‘actual attack speed’ listed on the wiki, we get*

• Ranger: 347.0 (0.9) = 312.3 dps
  • Rev: 306.4 (0.95) = 291.1 dps
  • Ele: 288.6 (1.0) = 288.6 dps
  • … Engi: 326.2 (0.65) = 212.0 dps

So the base dps is actually pretty similar for those weapons. As you point out, the real question for our rifle auto is: Why is our power scaling so terrible?

.* Actual dps depends on stats + target armour. This is just the relative dps

yeah after testing my rev i came to that conclussion
base damage is ok
but power scaling flat out sucks for engi rifle

on my revenant im autoing for 4ks with just 8 stacks of might

number 2 skill cascade destroys zerg with 11K bursts the 3 and Five hit for 8k all from 1200 range of safety

our rifle is terrible

Attachments:

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

This is one reason why comparing two professions to closely without considering the big picture is misleading.

Revenants have a better long range main hand weapon for power damage than Engis, but what else? Can they equip grenades? Mortar? Buff groups condi damage?

Engi cDPS > Rev cDPS
Engi pDPS >>> Rev pDPS

Revenants need the hammer to be as good as it is, without it they are seriously kitten. Engi’s do not need the rifle to be anywhere near as good as the Rev hammer when you consider what each class is capable of when the rest of the profession is considered.

To be clear I agree that the rifle could use some love, especially Jump Shot that nerf never made sense to me. But comparing it to the best alternatives out there is not an accurate comparison to me. It’s a solid utility—because that’s what Engi weapons are—and the fact that Engis are balanced for kits means you’re not stuck with your weapon. Whether or not you like kits being required for balance can be up for debate but that ship sailed 5 years ago.

Jade Quarry

(edited by Adamantium.3682)

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

This is one reason why comparing two professions to closely without considering the big picture is misleading.

Revenants have a better long range main hand weapon for power damage than Engis, but what else? Can they equip grenades? Mortar? Buff groups condi damage?

Engi cDPS > Rev cDPS
Engi pDPS >>> Rev pDPS

Revenants need the hammer to be as good as it is, without it they are seriously kitten. Engi’s do not need the rifle to be anywhere near as good as the Rev hammer when you consider what each class is capable of when the rest of the profession is considered.

To be clear I agree that the rifle could use some love, especially Jump Shot that nerf never made sense to me. But comparing it to the best alternatives out there is not an accurate comparison to me. It’s a solid utility—because that’s what Engi weapons are—and the fact that Engis are balanced for kits means you’re not stuck with your weapon. Whether or not you like kits being required for balance can be up for debate but that ship sailed 5 years ago.

I agree for the most part but engi’s situation is quite noticeable in WvW in every other game mode i agree engineer’s rifle and even mortar are fine but in WvW scenarios they are nowhere near as close as every other profession’s long range alternatives

what good are grenades and the mortar when theres Reflect spam all over in wvw not just reflect but Projectile destruction skills, mortar projectiles are both too weak and too slow to put actual pressure in enemy groups

buff group condi? Revenants can AoE pulse 10 stacks of might and fury non stop or swiftness or Protection . 10 might> 150 condi by twice the value actually

and again its not just revenant hammer’s power that makes such a big diference in utility

its the 1200 AoE Cascade , 1200 aoe knockdown 1200 range AoE evade burst

3 1200 range skills with no risk that also counter the projectile hate meta, engineer has no ranged alternative against projectile hate so even if our kits got a 50% damage buffs we still wouldnt be able to perform in big fights , that is my concern.

its not even a revenant vs engineer comparison only

elementalists have tons of long range AoE skills
staff necromancers have Unblockable wells and marks
rangers have their pets and long bow 5 for AoE
warriors can run berserkers and shoot flaming cascades of fire
Dhs have the chaining aoe rain thing and the shield arrow
regular guard has the scepter smite and walls and stuff with staff
mesmer GS is a piercing beam
Druid staff is a piercing beam

unless engies become able to roll bombs over to enemies donkey kong style or something we’re stuck in wvw

(edited by Rezzet.3614)

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

We should have a proper shotgun.

1. narrow aoe frontcone AA / less dmg than blunderbus, but still scaling up the closer the target is, 900 range , and max a 45° angle
  2. some hard hitting, piercing, long range projectile / min 1.2k range, preferably 1.5k
  3. should be a front cone daze for 1 sec on a 90° angle and decent dmg, around half the range of the AA, with reasonable precast to give a tell to enemies
  4. can stay as is
  5. can stay as well (optionally, how about we move 100% of the dmg into the landing? then it also could serve as a getaway without revealing ourselves from stealth if we currently get attacked in melee)

and the traits wouldn’t even need to be touched…
(I still miss you, synaptic overload)

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

(edited by Arantheal.7396)

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

We should have a proper shotgun.

1. narrow aoe frontcone AA / less dmg than blunderbus, but still scaling up the closer the target is, 900 range , and max a 45° angle
  2. some hard hitting, piercing, long range projectile / min 1.2k range, preferably 1.5k
  3. should be a front cone daze for 1 sec on a 90° angle and decent dmg, around half the range of the AA, with reasonable precast to give a tell to enemies
  4. can stay as is
  5. can stay as well (optionally, how about we move 100% of the dmg into the landing? then it also could serve as a getaway without revealing ourselves from stealth if we currently get attacked in melee)

and the traits wouldn’t even need to be touched…
(I still miss you, synaptic overload)

as much as I want a shot gun i disagree

we need a proper and effective ranged weapon

as far as shotguns go our flamethrower needs +175 range
and smoke vent should be a smoke field like flame turret’s or be like warrior’s torch 5 except instead of burning its pulsing blinds

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

and smoke vent should be a smoke field like flame turret’s or be like warrior’s torch 5 except instead of burning its pulsing blinds

Err…
wat?
Ft is a condi / cc kit now (nerf to #2 / buff to #3), and the auto is not a “shotgun” it’s a suicide button in zergs (retal), and pointless everywhere else, due to its abysmal power scaling.

We were discussing balancing options for projectile hate, in other words, gaining options to deliver dps trough reflects. And the answer is non-projectile skills, such as – f.e. – necro staff easily has access to.

Do you think you’d pressure a zerg with the ft auto if it had 175 more range, or even remotely impress a Spvp player / roamer with spaming it!?

Ideas for fixing FT are definitively welcome, but please open another thread for this thread-unrelated topic.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Rezzet.3614

Err…
wat?
Ft is a condi / cc kit now (nerf to #2 / buff to #3), and the auto is not a “shotgun” it’s a suicide button in zergs (retal), and pointless everywhere else, due to its abysmal power scaling.

We were discussing balancing options for projectile hate, in other words, gaining options to deliver dps trough reflects. And the answer is non-projectile skills, such as – f.e. – necro staff easily has access to.

Do you think you’d pressure a zerg with the ft auto if it had 175 more range, or even remotely impress a Spvp player / roamer with spaming it!?

Ideas for fixing FT are definitively welcome, but please open another thread for this thread-unrelated topic.

i know it’s a stupid choice
but making our rifle into a shotgun makes even less sense hence why i said buff ft range because diving into a zerg with a shotgun is suicide

i dont use the FT even for tagging enemies

in Engineer

insanemaniac.2456

round and round we go, where we stop nobody… WAIT! lootstick alert! lootstick alert!