Rocket Boots would be perfect if

in Engineer

Posted by: Shadowtech.5071

Shadowtech.5071

They would be perfect if you were launched forward instead of backwards and toolbelt skill was not useless, a 5s burn is that it?. Thoughts and comments?

Catastraseed – Guardian / Keytuura – Engineer
[GoA] Guardians of Äsgard
Maguuma

(edited by Shadowtech.5071)

in Engineer

Posted by: Walorx.5129

Walorx.5129

Well rocket boots is a great way to get out of battle quickly of you’re about to die, so I think it functions well for its purpose IMO. The tool belt skill fits well with it too, although the cool down could be shorter.

Vöz – “Stand in the red circles, they heal you”
YOUTUBE.COM/VOZTACTICS

in Engineer

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

Well rocket boots is a great way to get out of battle quickly of you’re about to die, so I think it functions well for its purpose IMO. The tool belt skill fits well with it too, although the cool down could be shorter.

I still feel like any time I use them I still die because a.) I don’t have another stunbreak to break the Rocket Boots stun and get jumped on b.) I’m fighting someone with a range weapon or a Thief so the range I make doesn’t really matter c.) I still get hit in the rocket boot retreat and die instantly because I was in the mid air or d.) rocket boots fails to disable immobilize and I fail to launch.

I think Rocket Boots would be worth while if they fixed the movement-impaired issues and either made it either one long dodge animation or removed the stun at the end.

in Engineer

Posted by: Welswift.9813

Welswift.9813

They would be perfect if you were launched forward instead of backwards

You should keybind the “About face” key. It is one of the first keybinds under controls. It faces you exactly 180 degrees from where you were. Again, not the easiest of ways to do it, pressing 3 buttons compared to one, but hey, you play an engineer. Also, in general when I need to GET BACK I am usually more in a hurry than when I need to GO TOWARDS the enemy, so I probably prefer it sending us back, allowing us to more easily land the aoe attack part of it. However, I agree with the other things that have been said about it. I hardly ever use it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Can’t agree here, and I’m certainly not suspicious of seeing the engineer brightly. RB gives you a stun breaker on a very short cd, an extraction tool + blast finisher which works great with Smoke Bomb e.g. One of the best retreat moves we have, especially as it launches us away from the enemy we fight.

Rocket Kick hits heavily with condition dmg builds. Ofc there are engineer typical restrictions, you need to get in melee range and it tends to miss moving targets. So it’s fine in PvE but awkward in PvP at best. Engineer typical. ^^

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

Rocket kick does leap forward.100(sure its not alot.)
and its aoe, 5s burn, and aoe .75 skill coeff. Also auto-targets.

CC being reapplied instantly after broken is a problem with pretty much every CC breaker.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shadowtech.5071

Shadowtech.5071

And we still can’t use it underwater, its still another slot we can’t use

Catastraseed – Guardian / Keytuura – Engineer
[GoA] Guardians of Äsgard
Maguuma

in Engineer

Posted by: Panzen.4625

Panzen.4625

A few thoughts about what I’d like to see for rocket boots (ofc not all at once):
-Rocket kick jumps higher (for style) and gives 1 second of evasion: Much like those attacks many flying mobs (fire elementals, griphons) have. Would fit the style, though damage probably wouldn’t be so great or cd increased to 30 sec :/
-Rocket boots targetable by direction (“skillshot”)
-Rocket Kick could get a 0.5 second (or so) projectile reflect like the flamethrower’s air blast

Though in theory it isn’t a bad skill per se, most builds just benefit more from other stuff than from taking the very situational and unreliable rocket boots.
Overall, none of the gadgets is neither great nor bad… imo, it just feels like they lack support in the form of traits. I think the only trait benefiting them is the 20% cd reduction in Tools (that doesn’t work on their tool belt skills, which would be great). If there were more traits for them, they might be a little better…

in Engineer

Posted by: Fiorrello.8126

Fiorrello.8126

i agree that the gadget slot skill line lacks support. hell the least they could do for a skill line that lacks all kinds of meaningful support is to lower the cooldowns on it.

the fact of the matter is that the engineer is a combo synergistic class, and the gadgets lack synergy.

in Engineer

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

Rocket Boots is an amazing addition to any Static Discharge or Burn spec.

The CD reduction % in the Tools line does affect our toolbelt, it just doesn’t show up on the Tooltip. If you spec 20-30 points into the line and fire a weapon, you’ll notice a few seconds shaved off of the CD time, as well as the fact that we get a full recharge on all of them at 25% life if you spec into that line, which many Engineers at least put 10-15 points into.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

Posted by: kimosabe.3452

kimosabe.3452

the only thing they really need to change is the knockdown/stun after using it. It should leap you back like acid bomb imo. Also maybe a fire field or a burn on nearby enemies when u use it

King of Da Trill-Engineer-http://i48.tinypic.com/29z9d0z.jpg
how i feel about mesmers…http://i45.tinypic.com/260pv7r.jpg

in Engineer

Posted by: The Slyfe.7231

The Slyfe.7231

Some evasion while using it would be nice. Gadget traits would also be awesome. I sometimes run around with all gadgets for fun while I roam in WvWvW, but I would love to see them be more of a stand-alone spec.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hazal Birunae.6082

Hazal Birunae.6082

The one bug they need to fix is that you don’t move backwards at all if you were moving when you use them (at least from what I’ve seen).

in Engineer

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

Considering we’re the only class in the game that tends to rely more on our Utility skills than our Weapon skill and Class abilities, it just seems to me that using one of those Utility slots for a stun-breaker that leads into another stun ten feet away isn’t very efficient. Instead of that spot for the Rocket Boots you could:
• Use Tool Kit and use one of the best blocking abilities in the game as well as a Confuse and a Cripple (very good Warrior and Thief counter) as well as an impossible to dodge pull. Throw Wrench is also very good for the popular SD build.
• Use Elixir Gun and retreat using Acid Bomb. It doesn’t break stun or Immobilize but it gives you about the same distance without having to stun yourself. Then use Fumigate to help your allies, Tranquilizer Shot to screw up your opponent’s offense, Elixir F to further retreat or Super Elixir to set up a combo field that heals you. Healing Mist isn’t great but Elixir Gun has to have a fault somewhere.
• If you’re Immobilized with a Rifle remember that Overcharged Shot is supposed to break that Immobilize and send you back without stunning you for nearly as long as Rocket Boots do WHILE blowing back your opponent and dealing better damage than the Rocket Boots can (though sadly it’s one of the more buggy skills Engineer’s have) and that’s without using a single Utility slot.

And if you are more interested in a stun-breaker than a retreat let’s look at:
• Utility Goggles break that stun and grant 10 seconds of Fury which can be a huge difference if you have a Critical Damage or Proc on Crit build. While Analysis is unlikely to beat Rocket Kick in a SD or Cond. damage build, it may serve more in a group effort when all your teammates are suddenly hitting 10% more damage.
• Elixir R breaks your stun and instantly refills your endurance meaning that you can immediately roll out of the fray and make about half the distance Rocket Boots can without having to make yourself vulnerable by stunning yourself. Not to mention the godly Toss Elixir R which can revive anybody in 5 seconds or less including yourself.

So with all of that, what exactly is your argument for Rocket Boots again?

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

Considering we’re the only class in the game that tends to rely more on our Utility skills than our Weapon skill and Class abilities, it just seems to me that using one of those Utility slots for a stun-breaker that leads into another stun ten feet away isn’t very efficient. Instead of that spot for the Rocket Boots you could:
• Use Tool Kit and use one of the best blocking abilities in the game as well as a Confuse and a Cripple (very good Warrior and Thief counter) as well as an impossible to dodge pull. Throw Wrench is also very good for the popular SD build.
• Use Elixir Gun and retreat using Acid Bomb. It doesn’t break stun or Immobilize but it gives you about the same distance without having to stun yourself. Then use Fumigate to help your allies, Tranquilizer Shot to screw up your opponent’s offense, Elixir F to further retreat or Super Elixir to set up a combo field that heals you. Healing Mist isn’t great but Elixir Gun has to have a fault somewhere.
• If you’re Immobilized with a Rifle remember that Overcharged Shot is supposed to break that Immobilize and send you back without stunning you for nearly as long as Rocket Boots do WHILE blowing back your opponent and dealing better damage than the Rocket Boots can (though sadly it’s one of the more buggy skills Engineer’s have) and that’s without using a single Utility slot.

And if you are more interested in a stun-breaker than a retreat let’s look at:
• Utility Goggles break that stun and grant 10 seconds of Fury which can be a huge difference if you have a Critical Damage or Proc on Crit build. While Analysis is unlikely to beat Rocket Kick in a SD or Cond. damage build, it may serve more in a group effort when all your teammates are suddenly hitting 10% more damage.
• Elixir R breaks your stun and instantly refills your endurance meaning that you can immediately roll out of the fray and make about half the distance Rocket Boots can without having to make yourself vulnerable by stunning yourself. Not to mention the godly Toss Elixir R which can revive anybody in 5 seconds or less including yourself.

So with all of that, what exactly is your argument for Rocket Boots again?

Stun-break and still be right there for the next stun, or the option to stun-break and send yourself flying out of harm’s way. It’s actually very useful in PvP, the time it takes to get back up is pretty minimal considering most of the time you use the stun-breaker is when you’re being melee focused, and you put yourself well out of melee range.

Combine that with one of our better damaging toolbelt skills and it’s a great take along in a burn or static discharge spec, the synergy with those works well.

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Rockets don’t cure immobilize. Stun breakers would work so much better if they were given a few seconds on use of impervious to stuns like other mmo’s have had to use because of people abusing the stun in pvp as the only means to get their kills. It’s like they are running an experiment, one that’s been run hundreds of times before and ignoring the facts and history as to why other games have done certain things to improve gameplay for pvp and pve. It’s weird. There’s also the problem that the animation imposes, we are actually knocked down for the purposes of attacking immediately. It’s as useless as the thief stealing a fear that has a three second cast time on it, we’re just standing there with our arm in the air vulnerable.

Many an ability as an engineer doesn’t make sense to me. The whole idea that we should only have a fiery kick is weird when if they really wanted to make this useful they should make it give us a 10 sec swiftness and a line of fire trailing behind us much like the line of oil slick with the rubber boots. Our gear doesn’t seem to help against certain types of damage which is odd like reducing the damage from electricity when using the rubber boots or from burning when using the rocket boots. The kits are similar in this. Why wouldn’t we have a better resistance to poison while using the EG for example? Wouldn’t we as engineers take into account the possibility of accidently harming ourselves with these types of weapons and therefore take smart measures to help ourselves survive. I’m pretty sure that the asurans would absolutely give themselves protections from what they discovered while using engineering tools.

They really need to re-examine this class as a whole because there are things that just have no logic. Like why would anyone need an extra burn when typically most condi builds already spec into this. It’s like the whole bleeds thing for rangers in dungeon condi builds it eventually becomes redundant and leads to diminishing damage returns as the regular attacks are used so one doesn’t need extra of the thing they do all the time because eventually even in open world boss fights your personal ticks of damage will be washed out by the max cap placed on enemies. (25stacks).

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Casia.4281

Trait to make slick shoes on fire. Make it happen Anet.

in Engineer

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

Rocket Boots knocking you down is one of the stupidest things they could’ve done to the skill.

When I see another Engineer use Rocket Boots all I see is the perfect opportunity to use one of our other clunky kitten Jump Shot skill so I can actually get the stomp on them.

Gratz to all the ppl who actually think RB pays off when in reality it is just another punishment we recieve on a skill.

Potions are random, kits are penalized for their versatility, turrets are useless for no reason, kits have to be toned down to receive the benefits that they should have anyways, equipping a kit makes you weaker and we also basically only have one elite option.

Its like someone giving you a cookie and then just kicking you right in the nads.

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

Rocket Boots knocking you down is one of the stupidest things they could’ve done to the skill.

When I see another Engineer use Rocket Boots all I see is the perfect opportunity to use one of our other clunky kitten Jump Shot skill so I can actually get the stomp on them.

Gratz to all the ppl who actually think RB pays off when in reality it is just another punishment we recieve on a skill.

Potions are random, kits are penalized for their versatility, turrets are useless for no reason, kits have to be toned down to receive the benefits that they should have anyways, equipping a kit makes you weaker and we also basically only have one elite option.

Its like someone giving you a cookie and then just kicking you right in the nads.

Assuming you were fighting the Engie in melee range, your jump shot would miss by 200. You could move forward, then jump shot, and the other Engie would already be up and off the ground by then, unless of course you expected the Rocket Boots stunbreak exactly.

My main Engie build’s Rocket Kick hits for around 600-700 damage, + 200-400 static discharge + 1700-2000 burn damage. And I have a stunbreak every 30 seconds, untraited, which also damages you for around 500-600… not sure how many other stunbreakers do damage on other profs. And if I’m standing in a combo field? Blast finisher damage.

We have a lot of issues and bugs, but there’s not much of a problem with Rocket Kick/Rocket Boots.

in Engineer

CriSPeH.8512

Assuming you were fighting the Engie in melee range, your jump shot would miss by 200. You could move forward, then jump shot, and the other Engie would already be up and off the ground by then, unless of course you expected the Rocket Boots stunbreak exactly.

My main Engie build’s Rocket Kick hits for around 600-700 damage, + 200-400 static discharge + 1700-2000 burn damage. And I have a stunbreak every 30 seconds, untraited, which also damages you for around 500-600… not sure how many other stunbreakers do damage on other profs. And if I’m standing in a combo field? Blast finisher damage.

We have a lot of issues and bugs, but there’s not much of a problem with Rocket Kick/Rocket Boots.

Yes when you see and Engineer use rocket kick, magnet pull him to you and net him and 90% of the time you can guess the next skill he will use.

I think overall the skill is fine. Rocket Kick misses alot if they are moving though.
But I don’t think there is any reason for the self-knockdown.
I don’t think the damage or effects warrant the penalty.

It also just looks stupid. They are Rocket Boots not Dynamite Shoes.
If anything just add in the same stupid matrix hover that jump shot has to stall us in the air for an extra second, that would even look like Rocket Boots.

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

Yes when you see and Engineer use rocket kick, magnet pull him to you and net him and 90% of the time you can guess the next skill he will use.

I think overall the skill is fine. Rocket Kick misses alot if they are moving though.
But I don’t think there is any reason for the self-knockdown.
I don’t think the damage or effects warrant the penalty.

It also just looks stupid. They are Rocket Boots not Dynamite Shoes.
If anything just add in the same stupid matrix hover that jump shot has to stall us in the air for an extra second, that would even look like Rocket Boots.

Just curious, why would you net him after you used Magnet? It’s not a stun, just an immobilize.

in Engineer

CriSPeH.8512

Just curious, why would you net him after you used Magnet? It’s not a stun, just an immobilize.

RB cures immobilize.
I net everyone after I magnet them because most often their first instinct is to dodge backwards and my goal after magneting is to get behind them a knock them further into my Zerg.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

The problem with rocket boots is that is only mediocre at everything it does.

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

RB cures immobilize.
I net everyone after I magnet them because most often their first instinct is to dodge backwards and my goal after magneting is to get behind them a knock them further into my Zerg.

If they are wasting Rocket Boots on a net shot, no wonder people think it’s a lame stun break. We have a #4 rifle shot to cure immobilize move that also does a ton of damage at close range.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

RB cures immobilize.

Ha I do that too..surprisingly effective. I find it weird that not more engineers do that though. But then again I never see any in wvw

in Engineer

CriSPeH.8512

RB cures immobilize.

If they are wasting Rocket Boots on a net shot, no wonder people think it’s a lame stun break. We have a #4 rifle shot to cure immobilize move that also does a ton of damage at close range.

If it was 1v1 and just net shot then yes it would be a waste.
But in WvW, fighting in groups if you net an enemy they will usually get stunned.

And if they decided to use Rifle #4 on me they would miss because like I said my goal is to get behind them. So dodge foward right after net, About Face, knockback. When they use Overcharged Shot its even easier because that is yet another skill that knocks you down so they will just be laying there waiting for you to fling them to your hungry zerg.

Whoopee for Engineer Stun/immobilize breakers that also stun and immobilize you.

(edited by CriSPeH.8512)

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

RB cures immobilize.

If it was 1v1 and just net shot then yes it would be a waste.
But in WvW, fighting in groups if you net an enemy they will usually get stunned.

And if they decided to use Rifle #4 on me they would miss because like I said my goal is to get behind them. So dodge foward right after net, About Face, knockback. When they use Overcharged Shot its even easier because that is yet another skill that knocks you down so they will just be laying there waiting for you to fling them to your hungry zerg.

Whoopee for Engineer Stun/immobilize breakers that also stun and immobilize you.

My apologies, I thought we were talking about sPvP.

in Engineer

CriSPeH.8512

My apologies, I thought we were talking about sPvP.

No apology needed.
I don’t sPvP very often but I am sure you are right. In a 1v1 situation the self knockdown wouldn’t be as bad.

in Engineer

Posted by: DEDEN.2870

DEDEN.2870

I actually rather like the idea of the rocket boots and the tool belt skill they provide, but…

The self imposed knockdown is ridiculous. It makes using what would be an otherwise solid stun break into an exercise in masochism.

Yes, the skill breaks stun. Yes, it cures all movement-related conditions. Yes, it deals damage. Yes, it acts as a blast finisher, but kitten if any of that actually makes it useful when it puts you on the ground for two seconds whenever you use it.

More often than not, using rocket boots to break out of stun won’t actually help you at all. Given the short durations of control effects in Guild Wars 2, you often spend more time in flight and then on the ground than you would have otherwise spent disabled from the ability you’re trying to counter.

Even at the best of times, the damage you inflict is relatively minor and the distance you put between yourself and your attacker is essentially gone by the time you regain your feet.

Worse yet, if your opponent is quick and has a leap ability of some kind, they can close the distance between you very, very quickly and then use the fact that you’re still on the ground by the time they get to you to lay some serious hurt on you.

Against ranged attackers the skill’s usefulness is even worse. Most enemies won’t be phased at all and will simply close distance with you and keep peppering you with damage while you remain unable to respond.

At the moment, the way the mechanics of the skill work, it really is of very limited use in a very limited number of situations. It’s not even on the same playing field as the stun breaks available to other professions

If they really want to balance out all the various abilities the skill confers, why not just replace the self knockdown with a self daze. Though you’d have to eat a couple of seconds of not being able to trigger anything else, at least you could benefit from the stun break and movement freeing parts of the ability.

Might be nice to get a blast finisher on the kick as well. Just saying…

in Engineer

aydenunited.5729

Blast finisher + Damage + Stunbreak + big distance leapback out of melee range + Extra toolbelt move that does damage + up to around 3k burning damage

- less than 2 seconds of knockdown time

I get flack all the time for over-defending our profession, but seriously, what other stun-break in the game does all those positive things on a 24-30 second CD? And it’s not like it’s our only stun-break, but I’m saying, it has it’s uses, and the knockback is very minimal, it’s fast and very few professions, except maybe Ele’s, can really take advantage of it.

in Engineer

Casia.4281

in theory anyway. the KB doesn’t always work like it should.
Using the KB to get out of a knockdown for example, seems to be really ineffective.

The direction you rocket boot as well, is not reliable. I have had many times were I rocket forward from the boots,