Rolled Engi, loved it, But hate the way Rifles work

in Engineer

Posted by: ebigz.4985

ebigz.4985

Some of you that want long range viability with the engineer and don’t like the grenade kit should look into the static discharge trait (Tools trait line – II).

It allows you to use certain utility tool kits to “snipe” the way you want to. There are many threads on this already but one suggestion as to a few utilities that will help with this are:

Personal Battering Ram
Rifle Turret
Tool Kit

These are a few of different possible utilities that can work well with static discharge trait, as they will fire directly to the target and have a relatively short cd. These along with your rifle auto-attack will give you a good sustained DPS while still giving you the option to close up to burst with the actual rifle.

(edited by ebigz.4985)

in Engineer

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Also, being the largest charr possible, its easy to hide B.O.B. under you

Oh… my… god.

So THAT’S why charr have those armours that look like one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinoline

Suddenly it all becomes clear.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

@LameFox
LOL that reminded me of – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkb4GgPeCxc

in Engineer

Posted by: VakarisJ.5619

VakarisJ.5619

This might come as a shock but guess what? You’re not a developer! You see, a suggestion is nothing more than that, a suggestion. It lets the ACTUAL developers see what a small (yet vocal) part of the community wants in the game. At the end of the day it’s their job to see how it can, or cannot be added into their game. My whole point is that there is no need for someone to come into a thread with a hostile attitude about how it will never work.

On top of that, all you’ve done is say “lawl I likez nades, lulz L2P or reroolz lulz.” That’s not being constructive, no matter what you think. So I’m going to stop answering you and show you what a constructive post is.

And only the small, vocal community that wants something should be heard? Counter opinions from other vocal minorities aren’t allowed? Bloody hypocrite.

Also, I still don’t see you presenting a valid counter-opinion as to why adding an other utility wouldn’t screw things up. You aren’t adding anything to the topic, only shouting down people that think different.

in Engineer

Posted by: ebigz.4985

ebigz.4985

This might come as a shock but guess what? You’re not a developer! You see, a suggestion is nothing more than that, a suggestion. It lets the ACTUAL developers see what a small (yet vocal) part of the community wants in the game. At the end of the day it’s their job to see how it can, or cannot be added into their game. My whole point is that there is no need for someone to come into a thread with a hostile attitude about how it will never work.

On top of that, all you’ve done is say “lawl I likez nades, lulz L2P or reroolz lulz.” That’s not being constructive, no matter what you think. So I’m going to stop answering you and show you what a constructive post is.

And only the small, vocal community that wants something should be heard? Counter opinions from other vocal minorities aren’t allowed? Bloody hypocrite.

Also, I still don’t see you presenting a valid counter-opinion as to why adding an other utility wouldn’t screw things up. You aren’t adding anything to the topic, only shouting down people that think different.

If you’re going to get on people about personal attacks then follow your own advise and don’t do it. Then you have audacity to call someone else a hypocrite.

Read my last statement, it’s not my job to prove you wrong, these are suggestions. you. are. not. the. developer.

(edited by ebigz.4985)

in Engineer

VakarisJ.5619

Funny, as I’ve not attacked anyone here yet.

Actually, it is your job to prove me wrong. Players fight it out what’s right and what’s wrong among them selves, the devs merely implement the result into the game. If it were the other way around, there wouldn’t be anyone playing the game a month after it’s release.
I pointed out why the suggestion has flawed in the way the author imagined it, the rest is the outcome.

in Engineer

Posted by: kidbs.8920

kidbs.8920

Some of you that want long range viability with the engineer and don’t like the grenade kit should look into the static discharge trait (Tools trait line – II).

It allows you to use certain utility tool kits to “snipe” the way you want to. There are many threads on this already but one suggestion as to a few utilities that will help with this are:

Personal Battering Ram
Rifle Turret
Tool Kit

These are a few of different possible utilities that can work well with static discharge trait, as they will fire directly to the target and have a relatively short cd. These along with your rifle auto-attack will give you a good sustained DPS while still giving you the option to close up to burst with the actual rifle.

This is exactly what I use on my engi in spvp. I spec for crit and crit bonus damage, and the burst is kitten good. I think a lot of people get shocked when I mow them down with my toolbelt/static discharge abilities.

SoR – Nethernoz (Necro), Zealot of Pain (Guardian), William The Butcher (Ranger)

in Engineer

Posted by: Atmaweapon.7345

Atmaweapon.7345

People want an option to be able to fight and put out consistent damage from at least 900 range without having to break their finger or have their only real long range option crash into ceilings and obstacles (screw indoor areas as a Grenade engy). All of the Engineer’s real damage options require them to get far closer than that though. Dual Pistols require 200 range for Blowtorch to do damage without taking into account the fact that Pistol auto-attacks suck without abusing max range double hit piercing bullet which directly conflicts with the aforementioned 200 range blowtorch.

We’ve already got Charrzookas floating around. Would it be that bad to give us a decent non-gimmicky long range consistent damage source?

in Engineer

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

1, Vaka You say all classes are equal and a plus 1 skill would throw up the balance?
Wrong : You can equip only 4 utility slot anyway. Even if you have more then others, wont effect the System at all, since you can only switch out of combat.
2, Besides, that it wont effect the balance at all, you think, when they add something like this, others wont get something? I mean, when they add something like this, then that time is the time when we get a big patch or update where they also add other things to other classes to. So moch abaut that.
3, Granades fill the role of xy. FOR YOU ! For me they dont becosue i dont like the feel of using them. So its a personal opinion, dont try to exuse it with the way the system or class-skill mechanic works.
4, I agree with ebigz, its the designers role to decide.

5,I undestand that many players are content with what they have right now, but keep it in mind : Not all are satisfied with the game or classes-skills-weapons they corrently have.

Or i might say for example : I am not satisfied with any class currently, and i cant decide which to play, and i am playing less and less with the game becouse of that. Even if there are classes i like they have parts i dont. And that would make me abandon the game instead of providing feedback, what i would like changed, added, fixed, upgraded?

You suggest, that i “get on with it” and stay unhappy with the class i pick finally and force myself on something that is only half fun? Becosue some others have a lesser expectation on there gameplay? A lot of players like me are quite fine tuned to gameplay styles, and you cant expect them all to be satisfied. And exspecially cant say they are wrong becouse its designed xy way, and you are right, becosue you like the way it is, and think that “if its designed this way it must be good and its good for you so its good owerall, and others are stupid to think its not good”
This does apply to all classes, not only Enginer.

6, I must also add as minor thout, there are barely any “real” long ranged nukers. Support? Yes a lot. But high burst or constant dmg not moch. Even Nekro and Mesmer ( who are pure cloth and should be ) are not that real long range nukers. ( or atleats not viable right now) Exspecially becouse of minion and illusion shatters. Actually to think of, Ranger and Ele and Rifle Warrs are the only decent Long range classes/spec .

No offense. Keep it constructive. I add my ideas soon. I am a bit busy right now. Gl hf all.

(edited by Nekroseth.5186)

in Engineer

Posted by: jamasont.4653

jamasont.4653

I love everything about my Eng cept the fact that my dps is low and survivability sucks compared to other classes. I just hate having to give up strength to play a class that I love. Only talking about PvE. Just wish there was a really defensive build that would equal or be somewhat close to other classes. Grenades not really an option till they put in a target npc option for them.

(edited by jamasont.4653)

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

I have no idea how you can claim engineers are low survivability. We have more toughness with shield and traits then thieves (as well as Hp) and more defense then rangers. We can maintain vigor more then any class allowing us the ability to dodge more then any class.

I can only hope you are making reference to your specific build, because I would have to question how you assume our survivability is low otherwise.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

I wanted to throw my two copper in on this conversation. I feel like this post illustrates THE MAJOR WEAKNESS of the engineer: lack of range.

I really dig the engineer shotgun (I say shotgun because that’s clearly what it is conceptually). It really gives my character a tanky feel. And I love the knockback on it. What I see as the problem with the engineer shotgun is that it doesn’t have the ranged damage capacity to justify it’s use except against melee opponents.

If you want to do damage at range, dual pistols are really better, because they have more range overall. If you want ranged damage, grenades and pistols are still better. Why? Because of the five abilities that the rifle has, four of them don’t add any significant ranged damage.

The default attack is only as useful as any other default weapon attack. It adds ranged DPS but it’s not high enough to be the only long range DPS on the rifle. Net Shot has great range and utility but no damage. Blunderbuss has great damage but is only ever going to be used at 100 range, where it really counts. Overcharged shot is awesome but only has a range of 500 (traited), again making it a close range shot. That leaves just Jump Shot (800 traited) and it puts you in close range with the enemy.

As I said, I like the rifle but it absolutely IS NOT a ranged weapon. It’s really a melee weapon replacement for a class that doesn’t use any of the existing melee weapons. While I understand why Anet felt like doing this, I feel like it was a poor design decision.

To fight at range, the engineer really has two choices. First, they can use two pistols and second they can use a grenade kit. Flamethrower? Not long range. Full turret build? Too many inherent weaknesses, too many utility slots to equate to a main weapon’s DPS and a huge lack of utility in a class that relies on utility (and range).

THIS ILLUSTRATES MY POINT

Engineer Rifle: 2 1200 range abilities (a default attack and a 0 damage net gun), 1 800 range abilities and 2 500 range abilities (as coglin very rudely pointed out, these are as traited for range)

Warrior Rifle: 4 1200 range abilities
Warrior Longbow: 5 1200 range abilities
Elementalist Staff: 18 1200 range abilities
Guardian Staff: 3 1200 range abilities
Ranger Longbow: 4 1500 range abilities, 1 750 range ability
Ranger Shortbow: 4 1200 range abilities
Thief Shortbow: 1 1200 range ability, 4 900 range abilities

Engineer Pistol/Pistol: 4 1050 range abilities

The engineer has two options to compete at range, grenade or pistols. Pistols are good damage but at a reduced range and grenades are AOE (and likely to be nerfed soon). Personally, I play my engineer like a close range character. But it would be nice to have the option of becoming a ranged DPS class (even if low burst). Better yet, it would be nice if I could just make use of some of my utility at 1200 range. Best of all, would be awesome to not have to rely on my turrets to have 1200 range DPS. Grenades are nice but it would be nice to have a second choice for combat at max range (other than loading up on medium-low DPS, easily killed, immovable turrets).

Ranged combat is, ironically, the greatest weakness of the engineer class. And it doesn’t make a bit of sense to me.

(edited by Zonzai.2341)

in Engineer

Posted by: Numot.3965

Numot.3965

Considering how hard hip shot hits for, engineer does just fine at max range. The weapon is one for control, and as such, does its job quite well.

I find it odd people rather warp the profession to their taste, rather than simply change professions to something that suits you more. The engineer fits a pretty unique niche with the rifle that no other profession really offers, and that’s how it supposed to be, a play-style of its own that sets the profession apart from others.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Are all the other ones you listed traited for extended range? No. But some of them can be. Yet you listed the engineers weapons under the assumption that they are traited for range. You really need to change that or else update the others you listed to there range while traited.

Please re-read my post. This time, read the whole thing.

As I said, I like the rifle but it absolutely IS NOT a ranged weapon. It’s really a melee weapon replacement for a class that doesn’t use any of the existing melee weapons. While I understand why Anet felt like doing this, this was a poor design decision.

Considering how hard hip shot hits for, engineer does just fine at max range. The weapon is one for control, and as such, does its job quite well.

I find it odd people rather warp the profession to their taste, rather than simply change professions to something that suits you more. The engineer fits a pretty unique niche with the rifle that no other profession really offers, and that’s how it supposed to be, a play-style of its own that sets the profession apart from others.

That’s not true. The engineer is intended as a ranged class according to Arenanet.
It is not an issue of wanting to be another class or expecting the class to be something that it isn’t intended to be.

(edited by Zonzai.2341)

in Engineer

Nekroseth.5186

Hm many point out the things i had in mind, i would also like to add to Zonzai and Coglin,s post, that I also dont understand the full concept of Enginer design.

They are “gadget” users, to conpensate for the lack of skills with weapons. But i dont agree with that. If a class can use a weapon at all, then that means they are good with it. Not just able to use it. (in my personal opinion almost anyone can use a rifle, i even se some pesants train with it) So thats why i dont understand, someone who is specialized in using a weapon, why cant it use it in any way he wants to?

The " perfers to because its xy class" is not really an exuse. The class might prefer, but in the end we players decide or not?

“That’s not true. The engineer is intended as a ranged class according to Arenanet. "

Even if it would not be a range intended class ( which he surely supposed to be checking the theme of the skills and class itself) players should be able to costumize there characters,classes to a certaint degree to that way they plan to use it.
As i alredy posted in a full topic on that, classes are currently TOTALLY UNFLEXIBLE. There skills, weapons, style, play mechanic can barely be costumized, or personalized.
I understand Anet worked hard to make the game itself awesome, and IT IS, but realize this : Classes are not a product you can “mass produce” to the shape you imagined.
They are not stereotype classes, because they are special in some way, but actually, i wanted a stereotipe kind of Nekromancer…keep this in mind a bit please.

in Engineer

Nekroseth.5186

Sooo after thinking a bit, i seen 2 options so faar that supposed to be viable.

The first is the so called “kit”. Adding another kit, that swaps out the Enginers 5 weapons skills is the most resonable, since we are talking abaut the Rifle itself here.

But if you go in detail, if you switch out your weapon it wont be a rifle anymore, so to speak, the idea kills itself, unless the kit wont switch the whole weapon out, only adds to it, for example a scope, or a “silencer” or any attachacment that narrows down the blunderbuss, to be effective at range.

The problem is you will have more utility skills then others. (trough i dont se the problem here, who on earth thinks : when this gets implemented, other classes wont recieve anything? )If you ask me, this will be actually a slight thing compared to the things we can expect soon, global class and game wide.

Second option is : To add another weapon tipe to Engineer, (shotgun or srapnel gun), and move the current skills to that weapon and add 5 more ranged themed skills to the rifle.
The problem with this is, that it adds a weapon purely Engineers can use, and thats not really a good solution.
Trough !!! I have the idea of not adding a weapon, but giving the option to “switch weapon” when using rifle and the Engineer will use the rifle with the “ranged” theme skill. Lets call it : Alters the weapon compontent or the weapon slightly and is able to use the same weapon differently.
This takes aways the need of a kit and the need to add another weapon. Basically, we get what we want, without the need to change anything in the game, excluding the “adding 5 skills” part.

If anyone find some more solutions please do post them. Lets start constructing this idea in detail, because it clearly shows there is a need for this. Anet will clearly see what we exacly want, and what are the ways and options they can go on with.

in Engineer

VakarisJ.5619

1, Vaka You say all classes are equal and a plus 1 skill would throw up the balance?
Wrong : You can equip only 4 utility slot anyway. Even if you have more then others, wont effect the System at all, since you can only switch out of combat.

2, Besides, that it wont effect the balance at all, you think, when they add something like this, others wont get something? I mean, when they add something like this, then that time is the time when we get a big patch or update where they also add other things to other classes to. So moch abaut that.

That’s not my point, I’m not talking about balance in that sense.
What I’m saying is, that every profession has the same number of utilities to choose from — variety. If they’d add the sniper kit, elementalists, for example, would be entitled to get some new utility too, with may or may not be overpowered, and if not perfect for them and every other profession, it would generate long forum rants — either because it’s too strong, too weak or makes some other ability/playstyle redundant.

It would make much more sense to sort out what we have now, then add an other brick onto a tower, balanced on a toothpick.

3, Granades fill the role of xy. FOR YOU ! For me they dont becosue i dont like the feel of using them. So its a personal opinion, dont try to exuse it with the way the system or class-skill mechanic works.

And I don’t feel like using the ranger’s longbow, by your logic, the ranger should get some other 1500-range weapon, that fills the same role, in order to make the profession more appealing for me. That’s not how it works — if I don’t feel like using something, I’m just supposed to, plainly, not use it and either reroll to an other profession, adapt or make use of other things that the profession provides.

I began playing as a thief, I got to lvl80, I got 100% map exploration, then decided that the class wasn’t fun enough to play as — get your opponent down to 50% HP and spam heartseeker, or alternatively — use dual pistols to run circles and spam unload. I didn’t ask for an other weapon or anything, I just made an engineer and hadn’t regretted my choice since.

4, I agree with ebigz, its the designers role to decide.

Yes, the developers get the final word on everything — it’s their car, but we’re it’s steering wheel. What ever gets added to the game, directly affects us, as we play it and thus, we get a word in how it should all shift.
As players, we are supposed to suggest and debate ideas and ultimately, the developers judge whenever it should or should not happen. This is the main reason of the forum.

5,I undestand that many players are content with what they have right now, but keep it in mind : Not all are satisfied with the game or classes-skills-weapons they corrently have.

Or i might say for example : I am not satisfied with any class currently, and i cant decide which to play, and i am playing less and less with the game becouse of that. <…>

You suggest, that i “get on with it” and stay unhappy with the class i pick finally and force myself on something that is only half fun? <…>

I didn’t mean that you should clench your fists and play with a profession you hate, I meant that you should find a profession that you like best and stick with it.

While suggestions of changes are welcome, they should be debated, lest they provoke even more unhappiness then beforehand.

6, I must also add as minor thout, there are barely any “real” long ranged nukers. Support? Yes a lot. But high burst or constant dmg not moch. Even Nekro and Mesmer ( who are pure cloth and should be ) are not that real long range nukers. ( or atleats not viable right now) Exspecially becouse of minion and illusion shatters. Actually to think of, Ranger and Ele and Rifle Warrs are the only decent Long range classes/spec .

No offense. Keep it constructive. I add my ideas soon. I am a bit busy right now. Gl hf all.

The necromancer doesn’t really hit for much at range. His staff attacks pierce in a nice area, but the damage he does is rather pitiful. His strength lies in survivability — between lifestealing attacks, self-heals, minion lifestealing and added toughness per minion, along with many other perks, combined with their warrior-like HP pool and the death shroud, they’re rather hard to kill.

I’ve never played the mesmer my self, but I’ve seen them do very nice burst damage, killing opponents as fast as the thief at times.

Not every class should focus on front-line offense, there needs to be a bit of variety.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

Good post by nekroseth.

Vakarisj you did say it would make eng op then in this defence after he layed it out you backpeddled. Also if you followed their reddit. We are getting new utilitys (even weapon) options in the future. They repeated this everytime the issue was brought up. So since developement takes awhile its probably good to get out what you want now rather then wait till they add something a few months down when its already released. Its not about “finding what you can tolerate best” its “finding out what can be done to improve the game to make more people happy”. Them adding a new kit woudlnt effect your gameplay as you can always choose not to use the utility and continue using grenades. So why attack it unless your afraid you’ll enjoy it?

in Engineer

Posted by: jamasont.4653

jamasont.4653

I’d prefer to keep things how they are just raise dps with the rifle maybe add a bleed to auto attack or remove #5 skill and replace with a ranged attack. Pistol dps is a little low but I dont enjoy it like I do the rifle. I kill stuff twice as fast on other classes the damage output difference is way to much. It makes the rifle near unusable PvE cause I get too antsy waiting for the things to die.

Edit: just made lvl 20 switched my traits and armor and dps is looking good. Survivability still underpowered compared to other classes but maybe it wont be so noticeable later on.

(edited by jamasont.4653)

in Engineer

Posted by: Anubis Khan.3851

Anubis Khan.3851

I very much like the way the rifle works and want no changes to the skills.

My usual cycle goes like this, start popping away with skill 1, or just start my combo with 5 jumping on them. Jump with 5 for damage, blast with 3 for more damage and bleed, then blast them away with 4. After 4 goes off the target is sitting on the ground bleeding to death and you can keep popping away at them. Then once they stand up you throw the 2 net on them and keep firing away.

Even when fighting a tougher champion mobs I can adjust accordingly to maintain my range and safety with the jump in 5-3 combo, and blast myself back to a safe distance with 4 and keep popping away at them with my rifle.

The only alternative I switch out to is the elixir gun when rifle skills are on cooldown, which is great for adding conditions, some decent party benefits and healing, and especially the spammable cripple which makes kiting melee mobs very easy.

I feel the rifle has good damage and especially great control skills, which only increases when switching back and forth between it and the elixir gun during fights.

Many people seem to want the rifle to fit a specific long range damage nitch. I disagree with this notion that rifles must be a long range ‘sniper’ weapon, and am quite happy with its current state.

From playing many classes and characters I find weapon sets are designed for a variety of purposes, damage, control, conditions, or a unique mix. And so many people only seem to want everything to be ‘big damage’ only.

Don’t kill this games wonderful variety and appeal to a large range of different play-styles by trying to force weapon sets into preconceived notions of what you think they ‘should be’. Find a combo that you like and go with it, there’s lots to choose from.

in Engineer

Nekroseth.5186

“not use it and either reroll to an other profession, adapt or make use of other things that the profession provides.”
Actually i was trying to point this out : You cant keep rerolling, if you dont like 1 or 2 aspect or skill of a class. You could discard each class this way, since there are things you dont like in all of them.
I personally find a lot of things i dont like in ALL classes.

Exspecially if you think abaut the fact : there are so many tastes that you cant match them all, since the Class,weapon,skill sysem is extremely static, and leaves no place for personal costumization.
And for that reson exacly we must provide our opinions, (what we would like).

I must say i cant totally agree with you. Not at all. You keep repeating th same things, ankittenep proving you wrong. And also provide decent solutions.

“didn’t mean that you should clench your fists and play with a profession you hate, I meant that you should find a profession that you like best and stick with it.”

Another point i clearly stated, i cant find a silngle class that would fit me to the braking % where i can say “I clearly want to be this” ,becosue all the classes are totally unflexible and are forcing the “preset” thing (devs call class) on me. And i dont have the chance to costumize.
I am sure devs did realize this by now, and thats exacly the reson i provide my feeback and my opinion, to show them what we would like to see in the future. what “options” would make classes flexible.

“The necromancer doesn’t really hit for much at range. His staff attacks pierce in a nice area, but the damage he does is …….”
I actually sead exacly the same….that they are more of a mid range classes and dont excell at long range…thats exacly the reson Enginer should, and would be good.

Again, for the 1000000 th time, i repeat myself (and please DO READ before commenting the “dont touch my rifle”) I dont want to take away the current rifle skills, i just want an “addition” where we (who want to be able to use rifle at rong lange in a viable way TO) can use it in the way we want it TO.
And not JUST that way.

Anubis Khan Understand that i dont want you to loose your dear current rifle skills, (but oyu should se that if you would read the post in a bit more detail), and i exspecially dont say the current skills or mechanic is wrong or bad, i say : I dont personally like it, and i wish for a chance to play the Rifle in a ranged way to, if i want to.

(edited by Nekroseth.5186)

in Engineer

VakarisJ.5619

Vakarisj you did say it would make eng op then in this defence after he layed it out you backpeddled. Also if you followed their reddit. We are getting new utilitys (even weapon) options in the future. They repeated this everytime the issue was brought up. So since developement takes awhile its probably good to get out what you want now rather then wait till they add something a few months down when its already released. Its not about “finding what you can tolerate best” its “finding out what can be done to improve the game to make more people happy”. Them adding a new kit woudlnt effect your gameplay as you can always choose not to use the utility and continue using grenades. So why attack it unless your afraid you’ll enjoy it?

Well, that’s just the thing – if that kit outshinnes the grenades, then it would make grenades rather redundant, now wouldn’t it?

So far, they’ve been careful not to have two weapons do the same thing on the same profession, I can’t really see them adding such a thing while the grenades still exist.

It would make things rather strange if a sniper were to be added with a range higher then the current top-non-artillery-range, with instant projectile travel time.

And really, when you get down to it — anything new added, any change, no matter how slight or insignificant, will affect me one way or the other, just like it will anyone else. Just because one would not use something, doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be used against him.

Also, I don’t see the sniper as an engineer-like weapon. It has been pointed several times before, that engineers aren’t assassins, but more of eccentric tinkerers and alchemists.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vigilence.4902

Vigilence.4902

I think a few players commenting here need to get over themselves.

If some players have a problem with the way the rifle works, and are suggesting an additional alternative for long range combat whats the big deal?

How does this affect you at all? Guess what, it doesn’t.

No changes will be made to the current rifle weapon. It wouldn’t be fair to you players that enjoy the way the rifle currently works. So if that’s the notion some of you have are getting you can relax; the rifle won’t get touched.

However, arguing about ideas of additional long range weapons and kits that provide a feature many players would like added to the class is just childish.

(edited by Vigilence.4902)

in Engineer

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

However, arguing about ideas of additional long range weapons and kits that provide a feature many players would like added to the class is just childish.

Indeed. It’s also funny they dont realise such things will come in expansions anyway. Why not give our feedback about such additions as early as we can.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vigilence.4902

Vigilence.4902

With people like you two posting, I’m starting to wonder whenever my time is wasted here — I already pointed out several times that (and why) adding something new, instead of changing something that already exists, carries more weight then meets the eye.
If the developers wish to add something new, in accordance with their long-term game plan, then more power to them, but when players wish to add something, that may or may not necessarily be in accordance with that hidden plan, then it warrants a discussion at the very least.

Also, a philosophical question — is it more “chlidish” to discuss an idea or discuss the discussion of an idea? What you’re doing here is the latter, and in this case — the latter is called “thread derailing”.
This is the engineer discussion, not the suggestions forum, in case anyone’s wondering.

Feel free to waste your time else where.

Players here are discussing possible additions they would like added to the Engineers combat style. If you don’t agree go somewhere else. Your pointless negative comments aren’t needed nor wanted.

in Engineer

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

Remove Elixir X, add elite Tesla Coil Kit with 1200-range autoattack.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

Vakarisj…

Vakarisj.
“Well, that’s just the thing – if that kit outshinnes the grenades, then it would make grenades rather redundant, now wouldn’t it?”

Assuming a sniper kit somehow is all area effect abilitys with point n click abilitys that put the same conditions? oh wait except it wouldnt…and why do you have to put in the idea that arenanet wouldnt balance it? Doesnt answer my question.

Vakarisj:
“So far, they’ve been careful not to have two weapons do the same thing on the same profession, I can’t really see them adding such a thing while the grenades still exist.”

hammer and greatsword would be closer in similiarity than these two…once again one sounds to be long range single target dps, other is point/n/click stacking conditions with all AE travel timed attacks…. more different than hammer/gw…and arent we comparing two kits..or a kit and a weapon? pretty sure grenades arent a weapon.

VakarisJ:
“And really, when you get down to it — anything new added, any change, no matter how slight or insignificant, will affect me one way or the other, just like it will anyone else. Just because one would not use something, doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be used against him.”

Aka…your against all change because all change will negatively impact you? So if any profession gets ANYTHING it might be used against you thus its a bad idea. Thats all i grab from this, your upset that the engineer will get sniper rifle because you’ll have to fight someone else with it…

Vakarisj:
“Also, I don’t see the sniper as an engineer-like weapon. It has been pointed several times before, that engineers aren’t assassins, but more of eccentric tinkerers and alchemists.”

the only thing valid out of everything you wrote is it is your OPINION of what an engineer is thus you dont like sniper rifle on engineer. Its already been pointed out i can already equip a rifle called a sniper rifle…there seems to be no limitations on what an engineer can hold as far as guns are concerned. NPC’s have freezeguns, waterguns, build helicopters and tanks. Plenty room for exploration. But i understand that the idea of a sniper rifle upsets you from a RPG angle. Why not just say “i’d rather it was a rocket gun or something more thematic to the engineer instead”. Then you coulda saved your self a lot of words.

nyway, your comments are entertaining.

(edited by Zinwrath.2049)

in Engineer

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

Due to the inflammatory tone of this thread, it will be closed. Please keep in mind that if you want to discuss issues on our forums, you have to do it in a constructive way.