Rules regarding afk and turrets?

in Engineer

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

Is it against the rules to go afk while your turrets are laid down in an area with enemies? Is there any sort of developer answer to that question?

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Engineer

Posted by: Caino.7130

Caino.7130

Is this even an issue? If i had engineer turret shooting at me and had 0 ranged abilities to kill it, i would just LOL and move along.
If this is the one post on the engineer forums that actually gets a Dev reply I am going to be a very unhappy camper ^^

rank 500+ Piken / Rank 60 PvP
Warrior – Teined
Guardian – Nomoreroomformyname

in Engineer

Toolbox.9375

Would be par for the course, from what I’ve seen. I think we all know that afk-leveling is the only use for those pathetic guns, and perhaps even the only thing Engineer has going for it at all.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I think being afk in general is against user agreement but I wouldnt see a problem with putting down some turrets and going to fight somewhere else.

But anyways now that the cat is out of the bag and afk turret leveling is becoming more well known now, I wouldn’t be surprised if the devs nerfed the turrets in some way or another to stop it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sephollos.4829

Sephollos.4829

Considering that turrets die in like one hit, I doubt that it’s a big issue.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phuriocity.9218

Phuriocity.9218

Considering that turrets die in like one hit, I doubt that it’s a big issue.

When they attack you instead of the turret, that’s not an issue.

I see rangers doing this all the time with their pets, so they better not fix one without fixing the other.

And they can’t really fix the rangers doing it.

So.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I don’t want to say that it’s fine, because with the way Arenanet’s GMs have been acting lately you’ll probably get permbanned for it… but I will say that after a decade of playing MMOs, I would be horribly surprised if any game dolled out even so much as a warning for that.

Your turrets are not invincible. If you can position yourself and them in such a way that they can continually kill, I see no reason why it would be an actionable offense. That said… I’m equally surprised they allow ranger pet kills and engineer turret kills that do not involve the player to give experience. It’s a pleasant surprise, but one all the same. Normally the player has to at least thump the NPC on the nose to get some XP.

in Engineer

Posted by: AstralAxis.7695

AstralAxis.7695

Here is an example of where the turrets durability does not matter. There have been a few engineers camping the Maw event lately. They have turrets on auto drop so if it is destroyed, another is dropped as soon as cd is over. The character gets res’d if he goes down by other players doing the event, so as long as this persons character is not physically moved out of range they are getting exp/karma for 2-3 events of this chain while AFK and since the event occurs every 25min or so, it adds up quick.

This kind of thing has got to be against the rules.

in Engineer

Toolbox.9375

Here is an example of where the turrets durability does not matter. There have been a few engineers camping the Maw event lately. They have turrets on auto drop so if it is destroyed, another is dropped as soon as cd is over. The character gets res’d if he goes down by other players doing the event, so as long as this persons character is not physically moved out of range they are getting exp/karma for 2-3 events of this chain while AFK and since the event occurs every 25min or so, it adds up quick.

That’s quite a bit different. For the Engineer to be laying down new turrets, they have to either be at the computer, or they have to be using some kind of third-party program to do it for them.

This question was in regards to using turrets entirely within the normal limitations of the game itself, no extra programs required.

Also, reading through the thread again, I feel bad that I was so negative about Engineers. The turrets, I’m still negative on. They need some serious work. But Engineer itself is fun and, in certain situations, can be potent.

in Engineer

AstralAxis.7695

Actually all you have to do is ctrl right click the turret skill and it will auto deploy whenever cd expires. The person just stands in one spot and the turret keeps dropping in front of them and since people keep ressing him he can do this endlessly.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Non issue. You get kicked from the server for X-amount of afk-ness.

in Engineer

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

That’s interesting. Most things of this nature are so absolutely useless that there’s no way anyone could profit from them, but this could actually net a few silver an hour. I can imagine Anet frowning on that.

in Engineer

AstralAxis.7695

You are “in combat” when your turret is engaging a mob, at least when in close proximity to it, so as long as it continues to engage mobs you will not be kicked.

The position of these players gives them the opportunity to, while AFK, participate in 4 of the events within this string. At lvl 80, even if they get bronze in each they will get 30004 exp, 608 karma and 3 silver twice hourly for as long as they care to have their character sit there.

(edited by AstralAxis.7695)

in Engineer

Posted by: Laquari.1972

Laquari.1972

Hello,

Please understand that botting is strictly prohibited in the Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct, as outlined below:

“You may not use any third-party program (such as a “bot”) in order to automate gameplay functions, including playing, chatting, interacting, or gathering gold or items within Guild Wars 2. You may not assist, relay, or store gold or items for other players who are using these processes.”

We strongly urge you to review both the Rules of Conduct as well as the User Agreement, which are linked below. Additionally, please consider the nature of automating gameplay. If your character is able to level up, accrue crafting materials, or otherwise progress without you having to actually play the game, chances are something is wrong and you are gaining an unfair advantage.

It is our intent to keep Guild Wars 2 as honest and fair as possible. We sincerely appreciate your understanding and compliance. For additional information, please visit the following links for the Rules of Conduct, the User Agreement, and the Conduct Breaches & Outcomes:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-conduct-breaches-outcomes/

Best regards,

Guild Wars Support Team
http://support.guildwars2.com/

I have send a email to Anet regarding on recent Turret-Afker and this is what he respond. “If your character is able to level up, accrue crafting materials, or otherwise progress without you having to actually play the game, chances are something is wrong and you are gaining an unfair advantage” As what it state, It’s better not to use turret-afk as it will possible linked to account banned.