SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: Kaozkrayken.9570

Kaozkrayken.9570

Can anyone list the pros and cons for the engis elite skills? Mortar Kit or Elixir X?

Currently I am using the metabattle build for engi where both are listed and have played about 15 games with each. I cant figure out which is better to use.

I feel like the mortar kit isnt worth it. The fields and orbital strike blast finisher take way to long to set up in a heated fight so i dont think its worth even taking out the mortar kit, however the orbital strike is so good (but is it worth losing rampage+moa)?

For Elixir X, i ususally dont even use it cuz im using toolkit, nade kit, and rifle too much. tornado/rampage are just not on my priority list cuz u cant survive burst while using it(no regen/blocks… and is it worth not having orbital strike?). The moa associated with it is really good AT TIMES but half the time it doesnt even work for some reason cuz im blinded or they dodge roll or something and then theres that 140 secondish cd that just doesnt even feel worth it.

what do u guys use for ur rifle engi build and y so?

(edited by Kaozkrayken.9570)

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

Mortar offers a water field for blast healing potential, and AoE poison which is nice for dumping on downed to slow healing.

The main reason to use Mortar in my opinion is for the AoE blind. 4 Blinds over 4 seconds makes a big difference, especially in a 1v2 on point.

Elixir X gives you Rampage or Tornado, which are great for shutting someone down in teamfights.

The Moa can be a amazing for shutting down players in transforms, or a low health necro who just popped a full deathshroud.

Both are good.

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

From my experience…

Elixir X
Pros

• Good direct damage with Rampage
  • Good CC with Tornado
  • Great way to shut down transforms.

Cons

• Randomness makes it hard to plan for
  • Could get the version you don’t want
  • Toolbelt isn’t targeted, could miss

Mortar
Pros

• Great field support
  • Great point control
  • Engage from 1500 range

Cons

• Ground target only
  • Not great damage
[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Supply Crate is also still a really good choice.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

heh crate is now better then ever, now that you can overcharge the turrets

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

I really suggest the supply crate for on point fighting.
Your F ability allows you to drop 6 med packs, for a total of 3k+ healing that you can pick up while keeping up damage .
Crate itself is not only a stun, also net turret stuns again and HT heals you additionally for 2.6k.

Only thing crate needs is a triple blast finisher on detonate…

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

would crate or X tbh. they are game changers, mortar isn’t.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: IgnisVulpesXI.3015

IgnisVulpesXI.3015

I’d say it depends on what build are you using. If you’re going HGH, Elixir X for sure; if you’re non-Alchemy burst, Mortar Kit; if you’re bunker, go with either of the three since all are good options.

I’m currently running Static Discharge Berseker (Explosives/Firearms/Tools) and I use Mortar Kit to support my team on point. It’s fun to play like a Longbow Ranger in, say, Temple of the Silent Storm and drop 1.5k~2k AoE hits every half a second, or Orbital Strike.

[FOXY] Animal Spirit Guild

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: Prisoner.2419

Prisoner.2419

For power builds:

[Traited] Mortar

• Good ranged downed cleave, poison to slow resses
  • Orbital Strike can be used to force dodges from multiple enemies
  • Blind field for easing pressure and helping secure stomps
  • Good burst healing
  • High chill application (great against eles)
  • High poison application for combating sustain
  • Generally better suited for smaller fights on small points/secondary objectives

Elixir X

• Very good against necromancers and rampage warriors
  • Good at taking down tankier targets with coordinated burst
  • Great damage, cleave, secure stomps and resses… when the six grant you a rampage roll
  • Turns you into a giant target the other half of the time, but at least your team can blast swiftness off of you
  • Shines when combined with a team and voice comms (everyone needs to be prepared to burst a target when you moa them)

It comes down to personal preference most of the time. Elixir X does get better the more dps warriors and necromancers you’re facing, though. Mortar requires good knowledge of the combo system for maximum effect.

For condi builds, both lose a lot of damage, but mortar also loses a lot of its healing/chill because you probably won’t be traiting for it. Elixir X on the other hand pulls ahead because the toss gives you a good amount of free damage while your condis tick as they can’t cleanse in moa form.

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Small benefit to tornado is that you can swap out and quickly use Overcharged Shot before the stab runs out to prevent the self knockback.

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

Crate>all— in pvp

SPVP Mortar or Elixir X?

in Engineer

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I use Elixir X when in my HGH FT-Rifle Decap build. The additional 2 stacks of might and condi cleanse are always useful, and both Rampage and Tornado offer ways to kick people off point. I would not suggest using Elixir X though unless you are running an elixir build. Definitely go with crate or mortar.