Scrapper - Engi Elite Spec Preview MMORPG.com

in Engineer

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

in Engineer

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Scrapper? Seriously! Do they not learn from their past naming mistakes? That is the worst one yet, worse than Dragonhunter.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Engineer

Posted by: bartrentenaar.8674

bartrentenaar.8674

Who freaking cares about names of specializations, it’s about the gameplay

in Engineer

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Scrapper? Seriously! Do they not learn from their past naming mistakes? That is the worst one yet, worse than Dragonhunter.

What is there to learn? That no matter what name they use, a subsection of complainers while cry about it no matter what name it is?

Your projecting you personal opinion into subjective situations. That isn’t something that inspires other to take you seriously in my opinion.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aretak.3826

Aretak.3826

So the drones are spirit weapon inspired apparently. Have they not learned? AI reliance is a horrible mechanic and avoided like the plague; they drop like flies, are unresponsive and are something the player has far too limited control over (especially for the tight gameplay for Engi). We of course already have a set of AI skills. This spec going to have some of the least testing time available too so I’m supremely skeptical. I just hope the traits aren’t too focused on the new skills like Berserker’s are.

Also contrary to what they say in the article I don’t see this filling any special role previously unavailable. Engi is always most effective within close range, having AI skill is the worst way to try and augment this.

in Engineer

Posted by: IgnisVulpesXI.3015

IgnisVulpesXI.3015

Considering the Pact’s Fleet demise in HoT and the way the Gyros look, I’d say Scrapper is a fitting name.

Not much information in the preview, but some things were interesting. Triple leap finisher sounds nice, and a damaging block, very nice to have for a melee specialization. Kind of ‘eh’ about the group superspeed.

I wonder what ‘boons affect your gyros’ mean. They count as NPCs and mess up with the boon-target-cap? Or they gain the buffs the Scrapper gains? They’ll have health? It’d be weird if they could gain Regeneration without healthbar.

[FOXY] Animal Spirit Guild

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Oh it sounds so cool cant wait:-) Also Scrapper is perfect name if you dont like it go home:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I liked the Forge name better. Anybody else agree?

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

10000000000000 times yes

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

scrapper sounds trashy... like some dude who collects scrap rather then some engineer that builds stuff...but alas.. there it is

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

It’s a very sad day tbh

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

I really like the name scrapper, it perfectly fits the steam punk theme of the engineer.
But I’m afraid too, I was thinking the scrapper will have tons of aegis and protection, so being a real tanky elite spec. They state it is about locking down enemies and superspeed. I hope we will get aegis too….

in Engineer

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Love the scrapper name. My Asura will wear it proudly while kicking kitten with his flying Gyros.

Sad part we only get 1 beta to fine tune the spec.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hatter.8159

Hatter.8159

I will reserve judgement until they show the class off on friday. However, at first glance. Hammer seems cool—I spend 97% of my time in melee range—Gyro’s. . . eh, as an spvp’er I’m not sold on AI being very useful. But who knows.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

I like scrapper, it fits the steam punk theme and it makes sense lore wise. We are building drones and other stuff with the “scrap” from the pact fleet, which got destroyed in the maguuma jungle.

in Engineer

dancingmonkey.4902

AI reliance is a horrible mechanic and avoided like the plague.

I am not sure what game your playing, but when turrets were stronger, everyone and there mother was playing them in PvP. So your historically wrong to claim AI utilities are avoided so deliberately.

in Engineer

Hatter.8159

I am not sure what game your playing, but when turrets were stronger, everyone and there mother was playing them in PvP. So your historically wrong to claim AI utilities are avoided so deliberately.

Actually I think it’s safer to ask what game -you’re- playing lol. Turret Engi was weak, and the only people that were getting wiped by them were hotjoin facetanking Rambo’s. No offense.

in Engineer

dancingmonkey.4902

Scrapper is fine to me.

A rose by any other name and all that. I am more concerned with the gyros, hammer skills, and traits. Seems petty to me to worry much about the name, when there is nothing wrong with it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I like it. It fits the tough melee fighter engi.

In the end, however, it’s not really important. It’s only just a name. What matters most is the gameplay.

in Engineer

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

Scrapper is a better name than Forge.

Whether it’s a good elite spec or not depends entirely on whether the gyro drones have decent AI. That said, I do think it’s kind of odd how many elite specs are adding “new roles” to professions that basically already play that way. Engineers get a “new role” that makes them want to stay in melee? They already do—the rifle is best at short range. Tempests get a “new role” that provides front-line support? Dagger/X Elementalist is already great at that.

in Engineer

dancingmonkey.4902

Actually I think it’s safer to ask what game -you’re- playing lol. Turret Engi was weak, and the only people that were getting wiped by them were hotjoin facetanking Rambo’s. No offense.

Who said turrets were not currently weak?

Are you suggesting that they were not flocked to at one point, by many? Historically, that fact counters the idea that players avoid AI utility skills.

Perhaps you missed the point of why it was mentioned. No one cares who was or was not getting whipped by them, the fact remains they were used, and extremely regularly.

in Engineer

Posted by: idontnoso.9850

idontnoso.9850

I honestly do prefer the name “Forge” over “Scrapper”, but it wouldn’t make sense to be honest.

Most of us expected the new specialization to revolve around fire which made a TON of sense with the name “Forge”, but it doesn’t.

According to the post, the specialization revolves more around electricity and stunning. Which wouldn’t really make sense as Forge.

The name could have been better, but at least its no Dragon Hunter. xD

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

So I’m not native english and “scrapper” sounds like somone who tries to scrap a bit iron together and hopes to be able to build something with it :< Or what does “scrapper” mean? I mean “forge” was so epic, like “his mind is a forge for good ideas” and the scrapper is like the stupid brother of the forge :<

in Engineer

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

I don’t mind it (especially since I will mostly see the translated version ingame) but I think it’s a bit odd that they chose a term that is already used in lore. See Scrapper.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Engineer

Posted by: miriforst.1290

miriforst.1290

I mean i could have understood Forgemaster (as its also strongly rooted in the lore with the FoW and so on), but i prefer scrapper as it fits well with the survivalist theme of the expansion.

Forge on the other hand?

Guess the base professions of the following specializations:

*Dojo
*Storm
*Trap
*Clock
*House of Horrors
*Treehug
*Knuckles

Okay maybe exaggerating a bit/a huge amount but a forge (okay sure there’s a super hero just like the daredevill, that doesn’t mean that green lantern/magneto/aquaman whatever should be next) sounds silly when you use their own ruleset of saying “im a forge specializing in this and that”. Of course the current names like daredevil and dragonhunter could have used a lot of work. All im saying is we got through the naming process lightly and unscathed.

Still waiting for commando though.

in Engineer

dancingmonkey.4902

So I’m not native english and “scrapper” sounds like somone who tries to scrap a bit iron together and hopes to be able to build something with it :< Or what does “scrapper” mean? I mean “forge” was so epic, like “his mind is a forge for good ideas” and the scrapper is like the stupid brother of the forge :<

It refers to a mechanical/electrical intellectual, who can create devices out of what others would perceive, as very limited parts, salvaged from other objects.

(edited by dancingmonkey.4902)

in Engineer

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

Well… yeaaahhhh… I don’t know what to think about the name… I will forget about the name if it make sense once I see it in action.

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

Can you kill gyros or not???

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

I don’t mind it (especially since I will mostly see the translated version ingame) but I think it’s a bit odd that they chose a term that is already used in lore. See Scrapper.

“applied as a label for any warband which is consistently insubordinate, unreliable, or troublesome. These warbands are low within charr society and are commonly given little respect.”

Yea.. thanks i guess >_>

in Engineer

Shifu.4321

I think it’s a double meaning of scrapper as you defined it AND scrapper as in someone who is tough and hard to take down (i.e. Wolverine):

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scrapper

in Engineer

dancingmonkey.4902

“applied as a label for any warband which is consistently insubordinate, unreliable, or troublesome. These warbands are low within charr society and are commonly given little respect.”

Yea.. thanks i guess >_>

That is a unrelated definition. It refers strictly to charr and their ranks in a greater warband, in a greater army, it isn’t really relevant to the ES of its namesake.

in Engineer

dancingmonkey.4902

You have the same link in the OP that the rest of us do, so your guess is as good as ours. I suspect we will not know until Friday.

in Engineer

Posted by: Aretak.3826

Aretak.3826

Turret Engi was a horrible build for bad players that only worked in pub stomps. Like the Pet Zoo meta a while back it was for maximum laziness, and left the actual player vulnerable to anyone with a brain. It saw no competitive use and the main reason it was nerfed was, like the Pet Zoo meta before it, it was annoying and promoted an awful play style.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Almost certainly (although not confirmed) since they did say that you can apply boons to them.

I’ll be curious to see how this does in PvP. Kinda sounds like a hambow-like focus with all the CC.

in Engineer

Hatter.8159

Are you suggesting that they were not flocked to at one point, by many? Historically, that fact counters the idea that players avoid AI utility skills.

Perhaps you missed the point of why it was mentioned. No one cares who was or was not getting whipped by them, the fact remains they were used, and extremely regularly.

You asked what game he was playing, I asked which you were. It was a very seldom occurrence that I ran in to turret engineers outside of hotjoin. Because the AI is/was weak, easily countered, and ultimately useless against anyone that has played more than 20 games.

Of course Gyro’s aren’t going to be stationary, so you can’t just barrage them down or +1 the OpFor on the other two points. But AI is still a system that is weak. It’s hard to say exactly if Gyro’s will be useless until we see some skill facts, but if they are the Engineer equivalent of Guardian Spirit weapons are you going to honestly say this is a strong addition to the class? For sPvp.

in Engineer

dancingmonkey.4902

Turret Engi was a horrible build for bad players that only worked in pub stomps. Like the Pet Zoo meta a while back it was for maximum laziness, and left the actual player vulnerable to anyone with a brain. It saw no competitive use and the main reason it was nerfed was, like the Pet Zoo meta before it, it was annoying and promoted an awful play style.

So?

Again, no one claimed it to be a good or bad build or what kind of play style you subjectively claim it was. I am unsure why your choosing to focus on the irrelevant. The fact remains, that AI build or not, players flocked to it like flies to cow pies.

You asked what game he was playing, I asked which you were. It was a very seldom occurrence that I ran in to turret engineers outside of hotjoin. Because the AI is/was weak, easily countered, and ultimately useless against anyone that has played more than 20 games.

Yeah I asked that in referace to him claiming players avoided AI, when it is a fact that when turrets were stronger, that players flocked to that AI build. Again whether it was good or not, it was flocked to.

I am no fan of the Gyro idea myself, at least not at this point. I will likely avoid it unless they actually will not take damage. That doesn’t excuse the dishonest statement implying that all “players avoid AI like the plague”.

Of course Gyro’s aren’t going to be stationary, so you can’t just barrage them down or +1 the OpFor on the other two points. But AI is still a system that is weak. It’s hard to say exactly if Gyro’s will be useless until we see some skill facts, but if they are the Engineer equivalent of Guardian Spirit weapons are you going to honestly say this is a strong addition to the class? For sPvp. [/quote]

(edited by dancingmonkey.4902)

in Engineer

Shifu.4321

If they are damageable, I hope they get reduction from AoE.

in Engineer

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

I am totally looking Forward to the “Kämpfer”, “Schläger” or “Abdrehschlinge” in the German Translation not

at least Kämpfer und Schläger would fit the Draufgänger we already have with the DareDevil.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

and thats the issue… everybody and their mom used em, made working builds that where cheesy but they worked pretty darn good. Now imagine em with drone builds.. they soooo gonna destroy the spec with nerfs you wont even know anymore what year is it once they are done with it. Look at the turrets… or look at anything that was awesome\nice\superior to what other classes could do and then look at the scrapper spec (teaser)… this is like a red piece of cloth for the nerfhammer of eternal agony that the engi devs love to swing without mercy once somebody whines about anything beeing too strong on the engi. My source? Just look what they do\did to the engi all the time over the past 3 years….or A.I related things in general.

in Engineer

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

At first I thought the “Forge” was the Engineer elite and the “Scapper” was the Ranger elite…

in Engineer

Posted by: ThFH.6048

ThFH.6048

Yea.. thanks i guess >_>

That is a unrelated definition. It refers strictly to charr and their ranks in a greater warband, in a greater army, it isn’t really relevant to the ES of its namesake.

I do not agree ANet says that taking an Elite makes you change your class form Engineer to Scrapper and says you are a Scrapper when having the line equiped.

Since I like to do some roleplaying my Charr a proud Centurion of the High Legions does not like the Idea of being compared to the most trashies of warbands the High Legions have walking around.

Talking about Forge this would indeed only work when if the hammer attacks would be themed around Fire.

in Engineer

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/10104/Guild-Wars-2-Its-Hammer-Time-The-Scrapper-Engineers-Elite-Specialization.html

Don’t know much about engineer, but it seems like those drones will be quite useful in raids.

in Engineer

dancingmonkey.4902

Yea.. thanks i guess >_>

I do not agree ANet says that taking an Elite makes you change your class form Engineer to Scrapper and says you are a Scrapper when having the line equiped.

Since I like to do some roleplaying my Charr a proud Centurion of the High Legions does not like the Idea of being compared to the most trashies of warbands the High Legions have walking around.

Talking about Forge this would indeed only work when if the hammer attacks would be themed around Fire.

So? That is your perception, and your comparison you are personally drawing. The Norn, Humans, Asura, and Sylvara are not concerned with a term that means something with a negative connotation to the over grown alley cats.

There are plenty of names that have both negative and positive connotations, depending on the context they are used.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Scrapper sounds really cool imo

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in Engineer

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

Oh, Ten Ton Hammer didn’t have the exclusive reveal this time? What a surprising turn of events. I wonder what happened there.

in Engineer

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I shall make a new engineer called Shatner. Because he will be a ROCKET MAN!

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Don’t you mean Elton John? =P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LX7WrHCaUA

As for the scrapper, I like the name and it really makes sense for engineers out in the middle of the maguuma after all the fleet crashes and such. The AI stuff is a bit worrisome, but hammer still is really appealing.

in Engineer

Posted by: miriforst.1290

miriforst.1290

Yea.. thanks i guess >_>

So? That is your perception, and your comparison you are personally drawing. The Norn, Humans, Asura, and Sylvara are not concerned with a term that means something with a negative connotation to the over grown alley cats.

There are plenty of names that have both negative and positive connotations, depending on the context they are used.

^Like there is a major difference between a cleaner and a cleaner. One cleans your room. One makes the mess.

But more on point.

A scrapper fits well with the survivalist theme of the expansion, a scavenger using whatever pieces he can find from the wrecked armada to create ingenious contraptions like eh-… robots?

Its not strictly charr related. Its just that noncombatants in the super militaristic society off the charr have a tendency to get looked down upon, especially if they are put on the sides for a reason. The actual work done is a way to still have use of the dishonored individuals without letting them join the front lines.

And for that matter you can still create a charr elementalist or an asura warrior despite the former being a magic user (which they not only look down upon but actively distrust) and the later clashing with the asura mentality of not getting themselves close and physical in such unrefined ways as chopping someones head off with an axe.

in Engineer

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Don’t you mean Elton John? =P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LX7WrHCaUA

As for the scrapper, I like the name and it really makes sense for engineers out in the middle of the maguuma after all the fleet crashes and such. The AI stuff is a bit worrisome, but hammer still is really appealing.

I most certainly do not!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I
Elton John might be the original, Shatner though ….nailed it

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

I’m honestly a bit disappointed by the lack of information revealed. FIrst of all: where’s the class mechanic twist? It seems we are getting drones as utily (90% already known TGH) with relative toolbelts skills…so no toolbelt twist or rework?
If the class is that simple, why did they take so long to reveal?

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?