Scrapper - Engi Elite Spec Preview MMORPG.com

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

I prefer Scrapper way more, even if the charr society the “scrappers” are considerated filth :-D

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: paladinecho.3024

paladinecho.3024

I think Scrapper is the perfect name for Engineer. Why? Because thats all that it has left going for the class, SCRAPS!

in Engineer

Posted by: arnitheking.8427

arnitheking.8427

hello engineers, welcome to AI land! Say hello to the 200000 rangers!

in Engineer

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

You do know that engineer have had AI since they were introduced right?

in Engineer

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

Love the name, not so cliche as certain other names. Gonna Love making a new Charr Scrapper.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I shall make a new engineer called Shatner. Because he will be a ROCKET MAN!

Don’t you mean Elton John? =P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LX7WrHCaUA

As for the scrapper, I like the name and it really makes sense for engineers out in the middle of the maguuma after all the fleet crashes and such. The AI stuff is a bit worrisome, but hammer still is really appealing.

I most certainly do not!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I
Elton John might be the original, Shatner though ….nailed it

Touche…that’s right up there with Pat Boone’s cover of Crazy Train, lol.

in Engineer

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Oh, Ten Ton Hammer didn’t have the exclusive reveal this time? What a surprising turn of events. I wonder what happened there.

They didn’t reconcile Scrapper with Hammer, apparently.
Oh well, having a teeheesilly name doesn’t always get you positive attention, apparently.

Today’s article was a bit sparse, though. I’ll be glad to wait for tomorrow for an actual in-depth review. >_>

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Somehow after reading it i have a strange fealing, that drones will suck, dont know why.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

AI that moves around the battlefield is a whole different ballgame than turrets.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

in Engineer

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

TBH I’m more curious about hammer than the drones.

in Engineer

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Who freaking cares about names of specializations, it’s about the gameplay

Answer: Tons of people. Just look at the forums talking about names and the Dragonhunter one in particular. It has a lot of responses. Also, I know from years of gaming that many many people are turned on or off by names. Marketting also has a vested interest in the right naming convention…

Oh, wait, although you phrased that as a question, you probably just meant that YOU don’t care about the name. Ok then, excuse the answer and go about your business

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

(edited by Invictus.1503)

in Engineer

Haralin.1473

“In all seriousness, however, the profession is one of my favorites and it has had solid long-range”

As i read this i thought which after they nerfed granades?

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Oh, Ten Ton Hammer didn’t have the exclusive reveal this time? What a surprising turn of events. I wonder what happened there.

I think the Wednesday reveal articles have moved around between third party media sites. TenTonHammer might have gotten more than one (and they do very nice in depth interviews) but they haven’t been the only ones with the Wednesday articles.

I don’t know if this will get me playing my Engineer more. I’ll have to watch the PoI and beta test the spec to see. It does seem like the same factors that make me less interested in the profession will still apply, to wit the need to do a ton of keyboard dancing and moving my hand over to hit 7-9 when all my instincts shout to hit ~ to change abilities. It’s actually more physically tiring to me to play Eng than other professions

Rauderi: Let’s hope it’s more in depth, but generally the Wednesday articles have held more detail than the Thursday blogs, not less. I’ll wager we’re waiting to Friday and the livestream for a real look.

in Engineer

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

In fairness, who really actually used nades as a 1200+ range weapon? Mortar just as well fulfills the same role as a hard-to-land AoE projectile since the chances of hitting all 3 grenades at 1200+ range was pretty slim.

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

“In all seriousness, however, the profession is one of my favorites and it has had solid long-range”

they gave us the mortar kit instead… oh wait they nerfed it by 28% 24 hours after release.. nevermind

in Engineer

Posted by: paladinecho.3024

paladinecho.3024

Im still laughing at this because those grenades must be pretty heavy to only throw them such a short range XD. Its like someone broke the throwing arm of every engineer in the entire realm of Tyria.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

They named the thing scrapper??? Daring choice. I’m happy my engineer is not a char though. I would not want to associate myself with them.

EverythingOP

in Engineer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Im still laughing at this because those grenades must be pretty heavy to only throw them such a short range XD. Its like someone broke the throwing arm of every engineer in the entire realm of Tyria.

To be fair, you could throw them further than anyone could shoot a rifle, so there’s that…
Rangers can still throw a torch further than they can shoot a shortbow.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Engineer

Haralin.1473

In fairness, who really actually used nades as a 1200+ range weapon? Mortar just as well fulfills the same role as a hard-to-land AoE projectile since the chances of hitting all 3 grenades at 1200+ range was pretty slim.

Then my point ist still valid, if a dev says such things i am afraid of the future for our class.

We clearly have no solid range option and mortar is not solid. So what is he talking about.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: ThFH.6048

ThFH.6048

They named the thing scrapper??? Daring choice. I’m happy my engineer is not a char though. I would not want to associate myself with them.

On the Engineer forum there is a discussion going on about that

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/i-prefer-Forge-to-Scrapper-name/first#post5497619

And I think it was indeed a bad choice ANet made, I get where the name comes from (Engineers using the wreckages of the pact ships to enhance their surviabilty in the Maguuma Jungle) but since the word is all ready in use for something ‘bad’ my charr engineer does not like it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

i see what you did

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Oh it sounds so cool cant wait:-) Also Scrapper is perfect name if you dont like it go home:-)

Scrapper is actually a pretty smart name imo… It’s clearly a wordplay from the devs since the word has 2 distinct meanings, both fitting for this new elite specialization.
1- someone who deals with scraps (scrap metals i assume)
2- a fierce fighter/competitor

in Engineer

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

They didn’t reconcile Scrapper with Hammer, apparently.
Oh well, having a teeheesilly name doesn’t always get you positive attention, apparently.

Today’s article was a bit sparse, though. I’ll be glad to wait for tomorrow for an actual in-depth review. >_>

That definitely is not the reason. XD

in Engineer

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Ok so to be fair… mortar isn’t horrible, I actually run it now. It has good point covering applications and if you are condi based can be a good lead in. Also in a group melee you can drop it on the mass and really cause havoc. The tool belt skill can have good blast finisher use too, and be a way to control an area, or place over a downed opponent, etc.

I actually very much enjoy mortar… would like it more if it was 28% stronger or whatever, but still it is a nicely thought out kit (especially since I dislike nades).

in Engineer

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

If they are damageable, I hope they get reduction from AoE.

Turrets don’t, necro minions don’t and Ranger Pets, the rangers very own f1 class mechanic, the one player-bound AI in the entire game that arguably needs AoE damage reduction the most, doesn’t have it.

So your hope is probably mislaid.

in Engineer

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

AI that moves around the battlefield is a whole different ballgame than turrets.

So? It’s very similar to both minions and spirit weapons…which are both completely useless in competitive settings. The precedence is making drones look anything but promising.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Ok so to be fair… mortar isn’t horrible, I actually run it now. It has good point covering applications and if you are condi based can be a good lead in. Also in a group melee you can drop it on the mass and really cause havoc. The tool belt skill can have good blast finisher use too, and be a way to control an area, or place over a downed opponent, etc.

I actually very much enjoy mortar… would like it more if it was 28% stronger or whatever, but still it is a nicely thought out kit (especially since I dislike nades).

Its not horrible.. but its certainly NOT a solid ranged option in any case. Slow projectiles with rather low damage. My untraited rifle does more damage then the mortar and i dont need to aim it manually AND it shoots faster. Only thing the mortar actually is good for is the fields and the toolbelt… as a ranged weapon it blows. Take nades and run closer.. or use rifle instead (imo of course)

in Engineer

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

Better name
Awesome hammer
Cool gyros!
I am looking forward to my hammer wielding gyro companions!

in Engineer

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Dangit, Now I want Skritt as a playable race. A Skirtt Scrapper. Say that fast 5 times.

in Engineer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

I’m concerned with whether or not the drones can be easily killed or killed at all…not looking forward to another spirit weapon/clones issue where cleave wipes them out. I was more hoping they would be like the passive effect of signets or something similar.

I’m also hoping the AI is limited to buffing/debufing…no real difference than spirit weapons/clones/combo fields, but apparently they will attack too. That is the worst AI component…when we have to rely on AI to attack and subsequently split some of our damage onto unreliable AI. I’d really prefer them to be solely buff/debuffers/combo field generators.

I’m also hoping they will back off of any concept of having drones be the targets of boons/debuffs/condis, as that seriously has the potential to cause problems with party buffing…especially with raids coming and the already ambiguous raid wide buffing mechanic.

Otherwise, this new elite specialization is looking great so far. Eagerly awaiting the reveal on exactly what our new utility type actually is.

(edited by ODB.6891)

in Engineer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

So the drones are spirit weapon inspired apparently. Have they not learned? AI reliance is a horrible mechanic and avoided like the plague; they drop like flies, are unresponsive and are something the player has far too limited control over (especially for the tight gameplay for Engi). We of course already have a set of AI skills. This spec going to have some of the least testing time available too so I’m supremely skeptical. I just hope the traits aren’t too focused on the new skills like Berserker’s are.

Also contrary to what they say in the article I don’t see this filling any special role previously unavailable. Engi is always most effective within close range, having AI skill is the worst way to try and augment this.

I think they mean that the drones are inspired by minions/spirit weapons in the way that chronomancer wells are merely inspired by necromancer wells. Whereas minions/spirit weapons just stand there and try to attack, it seems like the drones will fulfill other support based as well as damage based roles, in the way that chronomancer wells provide both damage and meaningful support compared to necromancer wells.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i keep wondering why irenio was saying superspeed instead of swiftness when lightning fields give brutal bolts, dazing strikes, and aoe swiftness hmm

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I like it fine, though I admit I didn’t really know about the Charr connotation of the term.

It can mean someone who salvages scrap and repurposes it. Someone who renders things into scrap. Or someone who fights a lot. It sounds perhaps a touch post-apocalyptic, which suits the situation of having an Elder Dragon intent on wrecking civilization (Mordy had better have that intent, he’d better want to vine-choke the world, or he’s a puny villain sulking off in his jungley corner).

A lot of the resources for Engineers in the jungle are going to be the crashed Pact ships. We’ll need scrap experts.

in Engineer

Posted by: Uden Reavstone.3426

Uden Reavstone.3426

Scrapper? Seriously! Do they not learn from their past naming mistakes? That is the worst one yet, worse than Dragonhunter.

Becuase Forge was a much better name? I think not. Scrapper is one of the better names.

“Blue team for life.”
“They can’t see me. I can’t see them.”
Michael J. Caboose ~ RvB

in Engineer

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

I’m honestly a bit disappointed by the lack of information revealed. FIrst of all: where’s the class mechanic twist? It seems we are getting drones as utily (90% already known TGH) with relative toolbelts skills…so no toolbelt twist or rework?
If the class is that simple, why did they take so long to reveal?

I heard the class mechanic twist is Fuel System.

Fuel Seem to serve as Drone’s power source and as long Scrapper has enough they can keep their Drones on the field as long they do not run out of Fuel.

in Engineer

Posted by: Uden Reavstone.3426

Uden Reavstone.3426

Sorry OP, but no. Forge was a horrible name. Every since people started saying that will be the name, I was thinking “Oh please be wrong.” Scrapper is a title that I would give to a person. Forge is a name I would give to an item or place. I think that Elite Specialization names should only be titles that you would give to a person, not names that you would give to an item or place. That’s just my thoughts though.

“Blue team for life.”
“They can’t see me. I can’t see them.”
Michael J. Caboose ~ RvB

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

i keep wondering why irenio was saying superspeed instead of swiftness when lightning fields give brutal bolts, dazing strikes, and aoe swiftness hmm

There might be trait that converts swiftness to super speed or something.

“The Scrapper is skilled at locking down enemies and when traited for it, granting super speed to allies.

in Engineer

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

I liked the Forge name better. Anybody else agree?

I love the Forge name.

First thing i think of, every time without fail, is Forge from Xmen / Xfactor. Super genius building drones with a partly bio-robotic body and firing big guns? Heck. Yes.

My Engineer is called “Public Cable”. It was going to be just Cable after the Xman who works closely with Forge, but that was taken, so, went with something close but silly.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

There might be trait that converts swiftness to super speed or something.

“The Scrapper is skilled at locking down enemies and when traited for it, granting super speed to allies.

indeed!

one problem: super speed has a stack cap of 1.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I like Scrapper quite a lot more than Forge. It actually works for engineers both as scrapping metals to make the gyros and as a melee combatant.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

in Engineer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Scrapper makes me think of this guy.

(edited by Embolism.8106)

in Engineer

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

As an Engineer main that’s been here since the beginning and stays competitive and creative in each game mode, I’m liking what I see so far. This new AI will be much better than the 3 year old AI everyone is used to, it won’t get in the way much.

I look forward to theory crafting for Raids, WvW and tPvP. I think we’ll have an awesome elite spec with a lot of potential. Going from very solid ranged damage to hopefully great melee damage or bruiser ability would be a very welcome change of pace.

Also, the name is good to me, it fits the PvE setting we’re entering. People getting kitten over these names is inevitable though, because they have their own perfect vision of the class with it’s own flavor and don’t want it to be different than what they want or what they’re used to. Their opinions on the names will always just be opinions, even if they speak like they are facts.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

(edited by Rhomulos.2089)

in Engineer

Posted by: Mord.9237

Mord.9237

Good thing this game isn’t called Name Wars 2… who cares about the name, all I or anyone that isn’t roleplaying with their freetime cares about is the functionality. Did people complain this much about the base names? Dear lord!

I just hope it’s a beefy elite spec and actually allows Engi to bring something to the table in a raid environment (PvE in HoT and WvW), otherwise it will be coined “Crapper.”

“Do or do not, there is no try.”
Engi Build Compilation

in Engineer

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

Scrapper actually has another meaning apart from the obvious one referring to someone who deals with scraps.

Scrapper means a fighter, a fierce, aggressive competitor (source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scrapper). This somewhat conveys the melee, in the face aggression this elite class is going for… i guess.

Btw, Forge is a terrible name, not even a valid name since it does not refer to a person/profession.

Forger or Forgemaster, on the other hand, could have been a fancy name for this elite spec… oh well.

in Engineer

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

I don’t mind it (especially since I will mostly see the translated version ingame) but I think it’s a bit odd that they chose a term that is already used in lore. See Scrapper.

“applied as a label for any warband which is consistently insubordinate, unreliable, or troublesome. These warbands are low within charr society and are commonly given little respect.”

Yea.. thanks i guess >_>

Hey, they are a respectable bunch. And a fun one too. Have you played a Charr’s loyal soldier personal story? The ‘scrappers’ you meet, despite having debilitating injuries, instead of living off welfare or resorting to crime, they do whatever they can to contribute to the Legions. They are proud of what they do, even though they have this stigma. Those who look down upon them are the real “scraps” you know what I’m saying?

Anvil Rockers Unite!

in Engineer

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

instead we need to hear about getting insulted by devs to be unable to understand “high concepts”, when in fact all of the bla bla bla was nothing but an excuse to have not to admit, that the Dragonhunter got its name due to HoT Story related reasons around Braham and Eir’s death which is most likely, because she was among Long and zojja on the destroyed air ships and pretty much no one should have actually survived a fall from such a height, not even those npcs, regardless of how heroic and iconic they are for the game. If any of them survided that, the story telling of this game becomes instantly 0 trustworthy!

That depends on how controlled the crash was, which we don’t see. Even commercial jets can hit the ground pretty safely, and they start their descent much higher and much faster than an airship. There have been airliners with the fuselage nearly split in half and most of its skin peeled off…which nevertheless had only a few (<5) fatalities of the 100+ people on board. It also depends on how it hits the trees, and many, many other factors. Bottom line: don’t throw your suspension of disbelief out over something like that.

As for the name, I thought that it was fitting for an engineer turned melee brawler, and works well with the hammer as their new weapon. Just my opinion, but there it is. The only elite profession names that I’m not particularly happy with are daredevil and dragonhunter, but they could have come up with worse names even for those. At this point, I’m concerned with functionality: the hammer looks good, but the utility skills are making me nervous. AI is not a good choice in this game, and we have our fair share of it already. We don’t need more useless AI-based utilities, and AI-based utilities tend to be useless in this game.

in Engineer

Posted by: portedGoblin.7413

portedGoblin.7413

Great name! Much better then Forge

in Engineer

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

I like both names, they both fit the theme, as well as every other variation of Forge that people are throwing around. I can’t see Forge being a future elite spec name either, since it fit Hammer so well, much better than Mace would if that’s the next option.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

I don’t mind it (especially since I will mostly see the translated version ingame) but I think it’s a bit odd that they chose a term that is already used in lore. See Scrapper.

“applied as a label for any warband which is consistently insubordinate, unreliable, or troublesome. These warbands are low within charr society and are commonly given little respect.”

Yea.. thanks i guess >_>

Hey, they are a respectable bunch. And a fun one too. Have you played a Charr’s loyal soldier personal story? Despite having debilitating injuries, instead of living off welfare or resorting to crime, they do whatever they can to contribute to the Legions. They are proud of what they do, even though they have this stigma. Those who look down upon them are the real “scraps” you know what I’m saying?

yea… i sure do love to be degraded from an iron legion centurio to a scrapper… thanks obama. My guess thats just the devs pulling stuff out of their…backsides to justify why the engineer technology we use in kits and stuff looks like garbage from a scrapyard… No this makes me really salty, specially as charr player. Isnt enough that i got my glory stolen by a darn salad on legs AND then got degraded to a babysitter for an off brand destiny edge wannabe kids club…no.. now im a scrapper too rather then the pride of the iron legion….

(edited by Basaltface.2786)

in Engineer

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

Atleast they do something beneficial to the Legions. ^^;;

At first it sounded like someone who ‘likes to recycle trash’, but after looking further at the name’s meaning, I like it more than Forge now.

Anvil Rockers Unite!