Scrapper in WvW Zerg-busting Frontline

in Engineer

Posted by: Rhego.6590

Rhego.6590

Hello everyone,

As a long time engineer player, I am a huge advocate of bringing an engineer or two to the melee train. I will go over the build I made in extreme detail as to highlight everything an engineer brings and why it is viable in the WvW front line meta.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhyrYJXwdLQ7FLTGF9cX37dY/kMhl4zcABAA-T1BEwAMV+BT9nc7PA4CA84BA4WHwWlgkBgZMA-w

WEAPON AND UTILITIES:
For obvious reasons, the hammer will be used in the melee train. I’ll try to quickly go over each skill and why it is useful in raid.
1: 1.5s auto attack chain that provides, at the end of the chain, two stacks of personal might and AoE vulnerability
2: A 1s whirl on a 6s CD. From experience, this whirl does anywhere from 3k (no crits), to 7k (all crits) AoE. This is what will be compared to a warrior’s 100B on a downed clump. It is infact less damage, however I believe it is much better. 100B is a front facing conal effect that roots the warrior. Electro-whirl is a 360 degree spin which you can move while using. Slightly less damage, hits more bodies, doesn’t root the player, and has a shorted CD. Did I mention it reflects projectiles and is a whirl finisher? And I will repeat, 6 second cooldown.
3: The leap is kind of clunky, however it covers good distance and, when used in melee range, provides pretty solid AoE damage while evading. 4-8k damage overall on a 10s CD. This is what is used to still cleave when the downed clump gets a bit too hot to use 2.
4: A 2s block on a 20s CD. It applies 10 stacks of vuln AoE to anyone it touches and ticks for damage for the entire duration. The damage gets up to usually 4-6k per target. Again solid filler damage when 2 and 3 are on CD but cleave is still needed.
5: Every 24s, a Scrapper can cast a 240 radius AoE lightning field that stuns on the first strike. After the initial strike, pulses 6 times doing high damage and applying vulnerability. This skill is unbelievable in combination with 2 or 3, which will ALWAYS be up and ready to combo considering their short cooldowns. In this 6s time span, the engineer can AoE stun everyone in the targeted area and pump 10-15k dmg into the radius.

This is something a stance greatsword warrior just can’t compete with. I have played both, and although the numbers on 100B are higher, the Scrapper is much more effective at cleaving downed bodies and as well as pumping damage to wherever the tag goes. The hammer is a beast. The damage is high, the survivability is crazy, the mobility is there, it has everything. I would go as far as saying the 1-5 skills on the Scrapper’s hammer make it the best melee zerging weapon currently in the game. The hammer alone makes Scrapper a frontline contender.

The healing turret is the best heal in the game. It provides around an 8k heal, AoE regeneration, and a water field with a built in blast finisher. All need be said.

The utilities are where things get interesting. The build I posted runs Elixir U, Toolkit, and Elixir Gun. Things get complicated here, because these are optional… but they’re not. Toolkit block will save an engineer’s life, hands down. Any engineer can attest to this. 3s block on a 20s CD seems lackluster, but it is a life saver. It has to be there. Toolkit also brings an AoE cripple/bleed field which can be surprisingly useful when trying to retreat and regroup. Even 1-2s delay on an enemy frontline bombing us can be the difference between landing a regroup and not. The cool thing, however, is that toolkit allows engineer to sub in as pick (Gank). Magnet pull + pry bar combo is always there and ready to use on an enemy ele or necro that is out of place.
Elixir Gun is a must have. The toolbelt skill is a stun break, and 5 skill pulses healing, the 4 skill ticks for 2,000/sec on downed bodies, and the 3 skill sprays poison in a frontal cone. The elixir gun is 6 stacks of AoE might, AoE poison on a short CD, a stun break, and a massive boost to downed player cleave. Definitely worth bringing.
The 3rd utility is largely up to preference. In my experience it is best to take Elixir U. The toolbelt skill is a 50% chance between a Wall of Reflection and a Smoke field. Either way, it will block projectiles on a regroup, allowing guardians to run tri-shout. The Elixir U itself is pretty self explanatory. Take a look back up to the damage that comes from the hammer skills. Increase the speed that damage is pumped out by 50%, add fury, add 7 stacks of might. Things will die. If for some reason the engineer is lacking stability, Elixir U should be subbed for Elixir B for a 16s AoE stability throw combined with strong boon presence.

This is one of the biggest beauties of the engineer. It is completely unique in that the build does not revolve around the utilities (Shout cleanse guardian, stance warrior, cantrip ele, should I continue?). The build works with no utilities. The engineer can bring to the raid what the raid needs, not what the engineer needs to make the build work.
No banner warrior? Throw Elixir R is a banner with twice the range, 1/8th of the cast time, and on 1/3rd of the cooldown, however pulses revive rather than does it instantly. However… sometimes banner doesn’t work. The ally is healed to 90% and isn’t picked up. With a 12s pulsing revive, that won’t happen (Unless they are well bombed, but what can you do…). No, pulse isn’t great, but an engineer can get this out literally 8 times faster than a warrior can banner, and can even use it before anyone goes down to anticipate downed players and pick them up before the enemy has a chance to even notice they’re down. It may not be “better”, but it’s undoubtedly viable. It works.
Slick shoes completely stability strips the enemy, as it isn’t a knock down. It’s a knock down FIELD, which does not exist anywhere else in the game. Everything else of its kind pulses. Slick shoes does not pulse. It provides a lined out field of knockdown. Enough said.
Elixir S for AoE stealth and extra survivability? Rocket boots for focused burn and crazy mobility? Bomb kit for fire fields, smoke fields, immobilize on a push, or a Big Ol’ Bomb on players trying to revive downs?
The point is engineer is versatile. Scrapper isn’t cornered into utilities x, y, and z to be viable. A Scrapper can change and adapt utilities based on what the raid requires at that time, which is a big factor to combat that no other raid class can currently offer, and if so, not nearly to the caliber of a Scrapper.

The Scrapper frontline elite is obvious: the mortar kit. Huge AoE damage from orbital strike, AoE poison, AoE chill, AoE blind, and a water field. All jammed into one elite skill. What does this mean, though? This means that a Scrapper in the melee train can contribute to ranged pressure with more than a staff-3 symbol or a greatsword 4 toss. A Scrapper can put very relevant and constant ranged pressure into a group when the melee are too low to jump in and bomb, which is something no other melee brings. Versatile and universal contribution to combat.

TRAITS:
The trait lines the frontline hammer Scrapper should bring are Alchemy, Inventions, and Scrapper.

Alchemy: The minors for alchemy are very strong. Every 40s, while stuck below 75%hp, the engineer drinks an Elixir B. This provides the engi with Fury, Might, Retaliation, and perma swiftness. Perma swiftness is extremely important to this build which will be explained in the Scrapper trait line. In addition, every 15s, a condition is converted to a boon, elixirs cure conditions, and boon duration is increased by 20%. Protection Injection provides 3s of protection on kitten ICD when the engineer is disabled. This is very important for a frontline player as, every time the engineer is knocked down, the damage received in that time is effectively mitigated. Next is backpack regenerator, which provides about the same healing per second as the regeneration boon. This applies when using toolkit and elixir gun only. Finally, we take HGH. This is such a good trait. It reduces the cooldown of all elixirs (Elixir U, Elixir U throw, Healing Mist [our stun break], Elixir gun 4 and 5, and mortar kit 5 [our disposable water field]) by 20%, increases their duration by 20%, and grants all allies around the engineer 2 stacks of might for 28 seconds. What does this mean? With the current build setup, a well played Scrapper can contribute anywhere from 11-16 stacks of AoE might to the party. This is based on proximity, however, so this might is going to the melee. However, this brings a unique mechanic to the table. All of this might stacking is disposable skill use (not part of core rotation), meaning this can be prestacked. No need to stop and blast might. Two engineers can get the party at 25 stacks of might ON THE MOVE going into the fight. Oh… and every single one of these cures a condition on allies, Elixir gun 5 clearing two as one is base (16s CD :sick:).

Inventions: This trait line is more of a filler and survivability boost, as neither explosives or firearms is really any good for a scrapper. The minor traits AoE clear a damaging condition and grant AoE regen every time the engi uses a heal. This provides perma regen for self (and party if played correctly), which will permanently increase healing power by 250. The best trait engi gets here is Bunker Down, which spawns a mine and healing pack (heals for 500-1k and grants regen). The mine does about 2k AoE dmg. This skill is on a 2 second ICD and procs every time the engi crits. 70% crit chance with fury. Considering the lack of a GCD and an auto attack ICD of 0.5s, this equates to a critical hit approximately every 0.7 seconds with fury (more if you take into account skills that tick and hit multiple times like 2 and 5), which means an extra 740 AoE dps/sec where ever the engineer trains. 740 AoE dps/sec adds up. Mech legs is only takes for the reduces duration on cripple/chill/immob, which is a big boost to a scrappers survivability. Finally we take either AMR or ABD. AMR would be the goto for obvious reasons, but has been broken for a long time and does not function correctly with healing turret, therefore we take ABD for AoE blind when knocked down, further buffering damage taken while disabled.

Scrapper: So good. A ranged stomp/revive. It is buggy and yes it can be killed, but it is mostly used for a double speed revive, which unarguably is handy. Other than that, its used to stomp a downed enemy in Africa. Helps clean up the trash. Reviving or stomping grants superspeed (this is better than it sounds), and AoE 5 stacks of might for 14s, further strengthening an Engineers ability to stack might for the party. Finally, stun durations are increase on others and decreased on self by 25%. Start from the lesser this time, Recovery Matrix provides 30% protection uptime (currently 60% as it is bugged and procs twice with healing turret). Since might is taken care of, MM is overkill, therefore we take Recovery Matrix. This gives pack runes a purpose aside from being a fury bot. Permanent swiftness + Backpack regenerator + permanent regeneration boon = about 400 passive healing per second, which is just about a warrior’s healing signet. This allows the engineer to conserve healing turret AND elixir gun 5 for TWO separate water fields blasts. Please understand this; with this much passive healing the Scrapper’s healing skill is used as a raid-wide healing cooldown as opposed to a personal heal. Healing turret base 4k heal + zerg blast + detonate blast is essentially a full raid heal. Finally… Adaptive Armor. The god trait. This provides 100 toughness every second while hit stacking up to 5 times, which ends up being a sustained 500 extra armor in combat. In addition, it proves -20% condi damage taken. Note, this is not condition duration as seen on typical frontline food or hoelbrak runes. This is direct mitigation to condition damage, which is something brand new to HoT and engineer.

GEAR:
Let me begin by saying none of the gear stats are set in stone. The stats for this build, due to certain traits, can afford to drop a lot of survivability for straight berserk gear. Beginning with a pure power/precision/ferocity setup, berserk can slowly be dropped for knights gear until a comfortable armor level is reached (keep adaptive armor in mind). I added a soldiers hammer to the build as well. Considering the removal of guard stacks, which is a loss of 2,500 health, I feel that 16,500 health is a bit too low for frontline,especially when outnumbered. 18,500 feels much more comfortable. Again all of this gear can be swapped for knights/soldiers/zerk to reach whatever stat cap you feel appropriate.

The rune of choice is Superior Rune of the Pack. This provides AoE swiftness, fury, and might on hit which is crucial for party-wide fury uptime. Furthermore, however, it gives the Scrapper the permanent swiftness needed to maintain the passive ~400h/s.

The sigil choice is fairly straight forward as well. Energy for dodge on weapon/kit swap and bloodlust for the damage increase.

SUMMARY:
If you are still reading, thank you. I put a lot of time into typing all of this up and trying to convey why I feel frontline Scrapper is viable. If you skipped everything and are just reading this, that’s fine, but an uninformed opinion on Scrapper’s viability carries no weight nor influence.

Scrapper is the warrior’s cooler cousin. They are fairly similar in playstyle at the core, but Scrapper brings a lot of extras whereas warrior is black and white in terms of what it brings to the raid. A warrior brings party might, AoE swiftness (so does everyone else), focused damage, and a banner. An engineer brings similar party might with a different mechanic, arguably more damage, and utility worth 4-5 pages of text, as opposed to a warrior’s selfish stances. I am not at all suggesting all warriors be replaced with Scrappers, but to say that a Scrapper brings nothing unique and new to a raid group is just insanity. Read above. The healing turret, the disgusting cleave damage, the combo finishers, the fields… poison spray, situational utilities, mortar kit, AoE HGH might stacking, modified banner… permanent party regeneration, A 1200 RANGE STOMP OR REVIVE, wall of reflection, the only stability strip field in the game… I could go on.

The WvW meta has changed, friends. What used to be the the most unloved, under-represented profession in the game which saw no viable use outside of roaming and sPvP is now the powerhouse of the zerg-busting front line.

Please let me know what you all think. I truly believe Scrapper is more than viable in the zerg, however I think people are partially biased by the history of the “engineer”. Engineer in a zerg was never viable before, so why would it be now? Same reason front line parties include druids. They saw a major reworking, they heal better than anything, and they’re worth bringing. Scrappers saw a major reworking, they cleave and bomb better than any other melee, they have high amounts of utility and support that has yet to be seen in a zerging class, and they’re worth bringing.

Thanks for reading,

Aarrgon

in Engineer

Posted by: gnollbane.3620

gnollbane.3620

Now time to list the things that scrapper gives that other front line classes can’t.

-Lighting Fields
-Water fields~2 on short cd
-Slick shoes cc
-Poisons fields
-Ice fields
-Light field that binds
-Aoe Blinds when traited
-Magnet
-Ranged pressure~ not counting guard staff

Here is the list of things that I think Engineer does better or about the same as other front line.

-Aoe Regen
-Wall of Reflection
-Aoe fury and swiftness from pack runes~war
-Strong condition removal-HT

in Engineer

Posted by: OneHitWonder.5741

OneHitWonder.5741

i’m not sure if you know that but elixir gun #3 is a huge condi cleave

in Engineer

Posted by: Diet Plain.4513

Diet Plain.4513

A few things I would change:
Switch to soldier’s armor, keep zerker accessories.
I would say to definitely use Slick Shoes with any frontline scrapper setup. The CC it provides is a huge advantage and the toolbelt skill will give you more super speed and a quick stunbreak. Hammer #3 > Slick Shoes right through an enemy zerg can split up their group very well.
Drop HGH for Iron Blooded.
Drop Adaptive Armor for Perfectly Weighted. This one I ALWAYS used in zerg fights. Short cd stab for engineer is huge.
Try out Self-Regulating Defenses compared to Backpack regen.
I kept superspeed uptime a priority, I took off alchemy for Tools so I could use it’s cc break, the speedy kits, and gadgeteer for faster slick shoes cd.
I know people will most likely disagree with me, but I prefer the use of medic gyro for zergs. It’s toolbelt gives a waterfield that follows you AND lasts long enough for allies to see it and blast. Healing turret’s waterfield is very short, and tough for allies to respond to. It also gives AoE protection for it’s duration and is instant cast. Don’t cast medic gyro and let it sit there and try to use it’s tick heals though. Use it, and blow it up immediately if there are enemies nearby. It’s AoE daze is very useful.
I also loved Bulwark Gyro, the gyro itself mitigated a small amount of my damage, because it was soaking up ally damage also. The toolbelt skill though I found to be extremely useful with the pirateships going around.

in Engineer

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Drop HGH for Iron Blooded.
Drop Adaptive Armor for Perfectly Weighted. This one I ALWAYS used in zerg fights. Short cd stab for engineer is huge.
Try out Self-Regulating Defenses compared to Backpack regen.
I kept superspeed uptime a priority, I took off alchemy for Tools so I could use it’s cc break, the speedy kits, and gadgeteer for faster slick shoes cd.

iron blooded needs something imo. since you recommend SRD over BPR (which i do too), the build would have at least 2 elixirs (from trait procs) … and hgh is so so strong for that. not to mention if he were to take S as a utility, or eg for the cleansing, those just make hgh better. if iron blooded were 3-5% instead of 2, maybe itd be strong enough. if it did something else unique in addition to 2%/boon, itd be strong enough. but as it is its 1/2 as strong (practically speaking) as the old stabilized armor trait… which imo for zerging wasnt even good enough to choose over cloaking device (but definitely was a good choice when running power shoes and not needing cloaking device).

same goes for gadgeteer. its too weak imo. gadgeteer is best when used with 1 gadget to reliably enforce the 25% cdr and better effect, but during the 1 gadgets cd gadgeteer has so much wasted potential and feels terrible… but by taking 2 gadgets, you immediately lose the guaranteed better effect. gadgets especially combo with each other well, whether by chaining ccs or reacting and responding. generally if you have 2 gadgets, 1 is a reaction or engagement and the 2nd is an immediate followup. but you need to take hits to get the bonus for the 2nd, which is the one you want to have the larger effect. (for example: rocket boots into a zerg → slicky. pbr → throw mine to chain cc and reposition your enemy. goggle → pbr/slicky/rocket boot/aed.) aed is the most drastic case of this, where by taking gadgeteer aed becomes quite good… but its use cases are so unreliable and risky that youve got a pretty high chance of missing out on the buffed version if you take another gadget, which you really want to do cuz gadgeteer makes you want to take more gadgets.

but hey im not saying dont do it, cuz dude… a well placed slicky in a zerg is pretty much the best feeling in the world, and gadgeteer does work to make that happen and happen more often. and while i dont do a lot of zerging due to my server, the next time i do with scrapper available im gonna give gadgeteer another shot because hammer feels like it stands very well without much kit investment. perhaps slicky/rocketboot/S/mortar/HT with scrapper/tools/alch… itll have ins, outs, safes, waters, and tons of cc…

i still miss cloaking device ;(

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in Engineer

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

No, this build isn’t optimal at all. As others have said, take ironblooded, self regulating defenses and perfectly weighted. They are kind of mandatory.
Also, bunker down is not good in zergs, MDF on the other hand will be a beast when it gets fixed. Healing my buddies for 5-6k each time I use healing turret? Yes please.

There’s one thing though: the DPS you’re saying this build does isn’t what I my experience showed me. My personal build is more offensive than yours, and I tested it in an organized environment (guild raid) with, of course, 25 might stacks, coordinated CC etc. etc. and yes, I can deal 6k with Hammer #2 but on light only. Also, #2 hit 3 targets only on a 180 radius, which means you hit only on 90 range in front of you, while all melees skills have 130 range.

Moreover, what your build does guardian and warrior can do better. You are not providing any source of uniqueness that would make a guild want scrappers in the melee train. I suggest you to take Slick Shoes and/or superspeed, which are the main two features only scrappers/engis can provide to the raid.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in Engineer

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Also, #2 hit 3 targets only on a 180 radius, which means you hit only on 90 range in front of you, while all melees skills have 130 range.

The radius is measured from the middle of an area to the edge of that area.. You’re thinking the Hammer #2 is 180 in diameter, AKA 90 distance in all directions around the Engineer, but a Radius means it’s 180 range in all directions around the Engineer.

It’s a greater hitbox than normal melee skills.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in Engineer

Rhego.6590

From my experience Iron Blooded is an overkill defensive skill. I didn’t find myself needing it while raiding during beta. Self regulating defenses is not good at all. It is more viable to run elixir S utility, but anything like SRD or vamp runes that could interrupt whatever you’re doing (healing turret, cleaving downs, etc) isn’t a good idea.

And I disagree about not being able to outplay guardian or warrior. I have extended experience on both guardian and warrior… From the opening empower to the f-spam bag collection, Scrapper has the higher dps for sure. The damage isn’t all jammed into one skill (100B), and the ranged pressure engi provides is ridiculously superior to guardian and warrior (warrior has none, guardian has staff 1 spam and symbols 3, which doesn’t come close to mortar kit damage nor utility).

In terms of uniqueness, that is exactly what Scrapper brings. Option for slick shoes, HGH, mortar kit, Elixir R if desired, Hammer 5… the list continues, but all these things are currently non-existent in the raid.

On the topic of Adaptive Armor vs Perfectly Weighted, I think adaptive armor is superior. Two guardians in party both with two sources of party stab is plenty. In addition, gaining stab on an evade is a clunky and strange mechanic. Dodges should be saved to avoid incoming damage, not to try and proc stability which we already have. The 500 armor gain from Adaptive armor as well as the condition damage decrease is a HUGE survivability increase, which is what allows the gear selections to be so damage oriented. Dropping that defensive trait for 10% hammer damage is not worth it in the long run.

in Engineer

Rhego.6590

Keep in mind guys this post isnt “the ultimate Scrapper build”. The purpose of the post is to convince the non-believers that Scrapper has a place in the frontline. If you think a trait change or gear change is worth it, awesome. Make that change for yourself. Either way, Scrapper remains viable, which is the point

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

And I disagree about not being able to outplay guardian or warrior. I have extended experience on both guardian and warrior…

Well, for now, I disagree with your disagreement, lol. As of last weekend, I saw no evidence that the scrapper can do the same damage output, with the same survivability of warrior or guardian. Though I do not consider a 3 day weekend of play to be enough to make an informed decision, as least as far as my opinion goes. As well, it is possible some improvements will be implemented before the release, that change my opinion as well.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: Tor.1365

Tor.1365

Thankyou for taking the time to write this up & for the various responses – I played a lot with roaming / small group Scrapper during the beta, but am really looking forward to trying out the front-line Zerg on HoT release.

Unfortunately, I think Reapers are going to be better off on the front-line than Scrappers – largely because they can afford to run full Soldier gear, each use intelligence sigils for the GS crits (gravedigger) and get their reaper-shroud crit chance from traits. We can’t do anything similar, mainly because the Scrapper hammer uses lots of small hits rather than a few big ones.

Still, I like the versatile aspect of the Scrapper, and I think it will bring a lot to (especially less organised or PUG) zergs.

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Did you try this build and it worked for you?

It seems very squishy for a frontliner (only 18k HP)and no stability or elixir s in it, to avoid massive incomming damage or leap through the line of wardings and lightning fields.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

in Engineer

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

Also, #2 hit 3 targets only on a 180 radius, which means you hit only on 90 range in front of you, while all melees skills have 130 range.

The radius is measured from the middle of an area to the edge of that area.. You’re thinking the Hammer #2 is 180 in diameter, AKA 90 distance in all directions around the Engineer, but a Radius means it’s 180 range in all directions around the Engineer.

It’s a greater hitbox than normal melee skills.

I feel so dumb now.

Did you try this build and it worked for you?

It seems very squishy for a frontliner (only 18k HP)and no stability or elixir s in it, to avoid massive incomming damage or leap through the line of wardings and lightning fields.

Just by switching to self-regulating defenses and/or iron blooded his build becomes much more tanky. Moreover you have to remember you have both the block from toolkit and the block from the hammer. The block on hammer is particulary useful since you can keep damaging while blocking, thus you can still use it when your melee train pushes without giving up to all the DPS.
In addition to that, this build is probably (I can’t read minds) meant to be played witha proper melee train, where guardians are meant to provide stability.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

(edited by Frenk.5917)

in Engineer

Posted by: Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

Malhavoc Adhamar.3675

Was running something similar myself over the weekend: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhqrY9VwdLQ7FLTGF9cn37dY/kMhl4zMeBAA-TFCEABOp0JKlRcpE0gHAgiq/kz+DtpDAgLAQAAEgbezAwQH6QH6QHakCgJlRA-w

If I’m front lining I prefer getting my overall armour to around the 3K mark, compensating for the lack of crit chance with fury (elixir which pushes me to around the 45% on top of typically sitting at 3k power after might stacks.

Much prefer using HGH over Ironblooded because it not only reducing the cooldowns on the EG/Mortar kit (which also happens to be my other healing and condi cleanses) but the extra duration length is nice for might stacking and increasing fury’s duration longer since I’m relying on it more. Plus I’m using Elixir B mostly for the 5 sec of stability that you will need if you’re front lining, rather than relying on a guardian for all your stab.

Overall I had decent amount of success with this setup, although I did prefer the flamethrower set up a bit more (dropped Inventions for Firearms) as this gave a constant 15 might + constant stab, while I was equipped with the FT for the initial push, then swapped to hammer for their backline. Worked reasonablly well but as coglin said, needs more than 3 days to form a decent opinion + things like the hammer AA to be sorted.

in Engineer

Rhego.6590

As an extended response to all the questions, this build worked very well in raids. Its tanky at its core, so it can afford to run a lot of zerk gear and do some insane damage. If you need stab you can swap to elixir B, and elixir S for invuln but…. As in any zerging party, my guardians provided me with stability. My point in not taking many defensives is the scrapper doesn’t need them to survive.

“I think Reapers are going to be better off on the front-line than Scrappers – largely because they can afford to run full Soldier gear”

^ This to me makes no sense. Running full soldiers gear is a detriment to your zerg as you’re sacrificing damage output to keep yourself alive. Scrapper could run soldiers gear and be an invincible monster with over 3.5k armor and 25k hp. The point is, as I said, Scrapper doesnt need full soldiers to survive

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

^ This to me makes no sense. Running full soldiers gear is a detriment to your zerg as you’re sacrificing damage output to keep yourself alive. Scrapper could run soldiers gear and be an invincible monster with over 3.5k armor and 25k hp. The point is, as I said, Scrapper doesnt need full soldiers to survive

I think you didn’t get the point here. The problem is reaper is able to take one defensive stat and still deal the same damage as a berzerker. If a reaper takes valkyrie for example, he is doing berzerker damage because their traits make them able to be completely independent from precision. They can have the same crit chance like berzerker without investing points for their crit chance. They aren’t sacrificing damage for more survivability.

in Engineer

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Nice one! This is almost what i run this last bwe in wvw with my engi and it was amazing.
Great work and great writing.

Sad thing is no gyros is taken and by right: they are almost useless in their current state.

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Engineer

Posted by: MrTJpwnz.4710

MrTJpwnz.4710

I would change the alchemy trait line to protection injection, self-regulating defenses and iron blooded for a bid more defense in this trait line. This allows us to swap inventions out to either firearms (High Caliber, No scope and modified ammunition) or tools (reactive lenses, speedy kits or takedown round and Adrenal Implant). If you choose fire arms and you really miss the perma +50% endurance regen you could take Heavy armor exploit in firearms with Invigorating Speed in alchemy.

For the scrapper traitline I do not agree with the fact that Mass Momentum doesn’t do anything… As you will have like 3.1k armor (with 5 stacks of adaptive armor) which would give you another 310 power from the conversion only. This is a little bit more then 10 stacks of might. Also the extra might stacks you get once you have stability allows you to stay on your 25 might stacks longer. I think you don’t need all the regen because you have enough defense with these traits + hammer + toolkit.

For the skills, Elixir gun isn’t that great anymore because I don’t run HGH anymore, also I don’t really like Elixir U. What I would use is slick shoes for sure, as that is probably the main task for engi’s in melee train, control. For the other utility I don’t know yet what to choose.. If you want to go for the most damage you should take bomb kit, higher damage then hammer AA while not being killed by retal fast compared to grenade kit. Otherwise maybe bulwark gyro could be a good choice (very good reflect toolbelt skill, very little damage reduction, AoE daze) or maybe something like elixir B.

in Engineer

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhOvY1VwdLQ7FLTGF9cX37N40ldhk4zMeBAA-T1BEABps/gTK/A4CAwlSwHeAAupDIR1fIDAzYA-w

Thats what i’d use. Stab! Might! Damage! Sustain! CC! Water Fields! Bocks and Evades! Mass Condi Clear and Boons for your zerg!

(Stop kidding yourself that the toolkit pull works when you want it to.)

Will it be viable?
Other frontliners bring condi clear buffs and cc. Eles Bring Waterfields.
We can’t compete with Warriors because they have the rez banner. So the real question is… when would you take an engi over a guard?
Honestly the only situation you would do that is when you have are short on eles. Don’t get me wrong, frontline engi will be great in its own right and certainly be more usefull that engi ever was in WvW but i seriously doubt it wil become meta.

in Engineer

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

On the topic of Adaptive Armor vs Perfectly Weighted, I think adaptive armor is superior. Two guardians in party both with two sources of party stab is plenty. In addition, gaining stab on an evade is a clunky and strange mechanic. Dodges should be saved to avoid incoming damage, not to try and proc stability which we already have. The 500 armor gain from Adaptive armor as well as the condition damage decrease is a HUGE survivability increase, which is what allows the gear selections to be so damage oriented. Dropping that defensive trait for 10% hammer damage is not worth it in the long run.

If you are playing with 2 guards in your party, I see your point. That said, hammer leap is an evade. If you are leaping in with a melee train you are guaranteed to be evading something. This is a really really good trait.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

in Engineer

Rhego.6590

If you are playing with 2 guards in your party, I see your point. That said, hammer leap is an evade. If you are leaping in with a melee train you are guaranteed to be evading something. This is a really really good trait.

Hammer leap is indeed an evade, and that synergy is strong. Leap with the driver, evade attacks, gain stability to get through… My problem with the trait is is has a 5 second ICD for only two stacks of 3s stability. If there’s anything more than two lines of warding down, the trait won’t let me pass. In addition, I will already have stab on the leap if my guardians manage their cooldowns effectively.

Considering the damage, 10% increase is a lot of damage… However adaptive armor lets me go way zerkier than if I had 500 less armor in combat, which would force me to build more knights/soldiers to reach an acceptable armor level. The compensation needed to make up for the loss armor would most likely equate to a bigger damage loss than the 10% gain.

At the end of the day every trait choice like this comes down to preference. If you find the stab on evade useful and the 10% damage significant (and most importantly can survive without adaptive armor), then by all means run the trait.

On paper, adaptive armor looks superior to me. However, I haven’t done too much testing with Perfectly Weighted nor really considered it so… It will be the first thing I try on the 23rd for sure

in Engineer

Rhego.6590

I would change the alchemy trait line to protection injection, self-regulating defenses and iron blooded for a bid more defense in this trait line. This allows us to swap inventions out to either firearms (High Caliber, No scope and modified ammunition) or tools (reactive lenses, speedy kits or takedown round and Adrenal Implant). If you choose fire arms and you really miss the perma +50% endurance regen you could take Heavy armor exploit in firearms with Invigorating Speed in alchemy.

For the scrapper traitline I do not agree with the fact that Mass Momentum doesn’t do anything… As you will have like 3.1k armor (with 5 stacks of adaptive armor) which would give you another 310 power from the conversion only. This is a little bit more then 10 stacks of might. Also the extra might stacks you get once you have stability allows you to stay on your 25 might stacks longer. I think you don’t need all the regen because you have enough defense with these traits + hammer + toolkit.

For the skills, Elixir gun isn’t that great anymore because I don’t run HGH anymore, also I don’t really like Elixir U. What I would use is slick shoes for sure, as that is probably the main task for engi’s in melee train, control. For the other utility I don’t know yet what to choose.. If you want to go for the most damage you should take bomb kit, higher damage then hammer AA while not being killed by retal fast compared to grenade kit. Otherwise maybe bulwark gyro could be a good choice (very good reflect toolbelt skill, very little damage reduction, AoE daze) or maybe something like elixir B.

I’ll try to respond to everything point you raised as best as I can

In alchemy, the swap to SRD and IB are very viable. My trait choices in alchemy are just what I tried, as I only had a couple of hours raiding to test the entire setup. I will definitely be trying these as alternatives come HoT release.

Now if you drop inventions, you drop healing power, condi cleanse (which the engineer lacks to begin with), mecha legs (this is the most important), and either the middle or bottom trait of both the first and third lines, depending on preference. Everything in the line is useful. With the swap to firearms, the only thing you gain is +20% crit chance and +2% damage per condition on foe. The bleeds are irrelevant (aside from the crit chance gain, which I considered), and No Scope is pretty pointless as the party already provides perma-fury with pack runes.

If you swap to tools and take adrenal implant (the obvious choice, as you suggested), the first and third minor are COMPLETELY wasted. Vigor doesn’t stack with adrenal implant and your endurance is almost never full when in heated combat. If it is, it means you’re probably not dodging. Steamlines kits is pointless as we already have perma swiftness (guard staff3, warrior horn, pack runes, etc.), which leaves us with takedown round, which is lackluster. Mechanized deployment and Reactive lenses are very good.

We get two clear and different benefits from swapping to tools or firearms, as I discussed above. However, when losing inventions, we lose 3 very viable minors as well as 3 viable major traits. In addition, asking a Scrapper to run without mecha legs is like asking a warrior to run without Dogged March. It just doesn’t happen.

Keep in mind, I wrote this build for a coordinated melee train. Mass Momentum is indeed useless (atleast for my guild). I’m not sure what other guilds run, but warriors in my guild run Phalanx Strength which, between two in a party, is a sustained 25 stacks of might. Any personal might I apply is more often than not wasted. In addition, I tried to avoid selfish damage traits like MM in my build. If you run in a guild where your parties lack 25 stacks of might in combat, then MM is absolutely the best choice. Otherwise, stick with RR.

In terms of the utility changes, the three utilities I included are not at all cemented utilities. The benefit of an engineer is that we can change utilities on demand without a build change to fit the group composition. Slick shoes is absolutely a viable trait which I will most likely take instead of E-Gun myself.

On the contrary, I disagree with the next two suggestions. Bomb kit is far less damage than hammer. First of all, the explosions are delayed which does little good for a melee train pushing into enemies. In addition, bomb kit is well known as a bunker condition kit. The only power-based bomb is the auto attack, as the next 4 are burn, confusion, smoke, and immobilize with small direct damage additions. Bomb kit seems very weak in the melee train. Also, Bulwark gyro seems weak as well. The gyro itself is awful as it currently dies very fast in a zerg setting. The daze could be good if used correctly. The reflection dome is good as well, however our guardians run Wall of Reflections and… going back to elixir U, I could get the same reflects but have quickness, fury, and might to go with it from a not-terrible utility such as B-Gyro.

Let me know what you think

in Engineer

Posted by: Bertenburny.5103

Bertenburny.5103

Was running something similar myself over the weekend: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUhqrY9VwdLQ7FLTGF9cn37dY/kMhl4zMeBAA-TFCEABOp0JKlRcpE0gHAgiq/kz+DtpDAgLAQAAEgbezAwQH6QH6QHakCgJlRA-w

If I’m front lining I prefer getting my overall armour to around the 3K mark, compensating for the lack of crit chance with fury (elixir which pushes me to around the 45% on top of typically sitting at 3k power after might stacks.

Much prefer using HGH over Ironblooded because it not only reducing the cooldowns on the EG/Mortar kit (which also happens to be my other healing and condi cleanses) but the extra duration length is nice for might stacking and increasing fury’s duration longer since I’m relying on it more. Plus I’m using Elixir B mostly for the 5 sec of stability that you will need if you’re front lining, rather than relying on a guardian for all your stab.

Overall I had decent amount of success with this setup, although I did prefer the flamethrower set up a bit more (dropped Inventions for Firearms) as this gave a constant 15 might + constant stab, while I was equipped with the FT for the initial push, then swapped to hammer for their backline. Worked reasonablly well but as coglin said, needs more than 3 days to form a decent opinion + things like the hammer AA to be sorted.

now the Hammer/flamethrower build sounds interesting,
after 1,5 year break I’m kinda rusty, but when I used to “try” play my engi for fun frontline wvw I ran p/s with flamethrower, potions & supply kit (hgh juggernaut) and while not suppereffective I just love to run around spraying flames ^^
now the hammer has me interested in getting the expansion, feels kinda like my Warr or Guard frontline wvw builds with fire ^^ just some questions
why healturret? with hgh potionheal always worked well for me and also isnt the new scrapperheal better than the turret?
secondly, never been a fan of the mortar, I find the supply drop does so much (also adding a heal turret if I’m not mistaken)
srry I’m a bit rusty, but if u can drop a build like that here, much apreciated

Shiva /Haze/Glau/Mashira
Seaferer’s Rest berserker of the Mists – VOLT -

in Engineer

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Armor needs to be at least 3000 for frontline.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Engineer

Posted by: MrTJpwnz.4710

MrTJpwnz.4710

I’ll try to respond to everything point you raised as best as I can

In alchemy, the swap to SRD and IB are very viable. My trait choices in alchemy are just what I tried, as I only had a couple of hours raiding to test the entire setup. I will definitely be trying these as alternatives come HoT release.

Now if you drop inventions, you drop healing power, condi cleanse (which the engineer lacks to begin with), mecha legs (this is the most important), and either the middle or bottom trait of both the first and third lines, depending on preference. Everything in the line is useful. With the swap to firearms, the only thing you gain is +20% crit chance and +2% damage per condition on foe. The bleeds are irrelevant (aside from the crit chance gain, which I considered), and No Scope is pretty pointless as the party already provides perma-fury with pack runes.

If you swap to tools and take adrenal implant (the obvious choice, as you suggested), the first and third minor are COMPLETELY wasted. Vigor doesn’t stack with adrenal implant and your endurance is almost never full when in heated combat. If it is, it means you’re probably not dodging. Steamlines kits is pointless as we already have perma swiftness (guard staff3, warrior horn, pack runes, etc.), which leaves us with takedown round, which is lackluster. Mechanized deployment and Reactive lenses are very good.

We get two clear and different benefits from swapping to tools or firearms, as I discussed above. However, when losing inventions, we lose 3 very viable minors as well as 3 viable major traits. In addition, asking a Scrapper to run without mecha legs is like asking a warrior to run without Dogged March. It just doesn’t happen.

Keep in mind, I wrote this build for a coordinated melee train. Mass Momentum is indeed useless (atleast for my guild). I’m not sure what other guilds run, but warriors in my guild run Phalanx Strength which, between two in a party, is a sustained 25 stacks of might. Any personal might I apply is more often than not wasted. In addition, I tried to avoid selfish damage traits like MM in my build. If you run in a guild where your parties lack 25 stacks of might in combat, then MM is absolutely the best choice. Otherwise, stick with RR.

In terms of the utility changes, the three utilities I included are not at all cemented utilities. The benefit of an engineer is that we can change utilities on demand without a build change to fit the group composition. Slick shoes is absolutely a viable trait which I will most likely take instead of E-Gun myself.

On the contrary, I disagree with the next two suggestions. Bomb kit is far less damage than hammer. First of all, the explosions are delayed which does little good for a melee train pushing into enemies. In addition, bomb kit is well known as a bunker condition kit. The only power-based bomb is the auto attack, as the next 4 are burn, confusion, smoke, and immobilize with small direct damage additions. Bomb kit seems very weak in the melee train. Also, Bulwark gyro seems weak as well. The gyro itself is awful as it currently dies very fast in a zerg setting. The daze could be good if used correctly. The reflection dome is good as well, however our guardians run Wall of Reflections and… going back to elixir U, I could get the same reflects but have quickness, fury, and might to go with it from a not-terrible utility such as B-Gyro.

Let me know what you think

I don’t completely agree. 2nd and 3rd minor traits are pretty useless in my opinion, the regen you’ll get from the healing is not that great, and the healing power stat is very weak.

As for mecha legs I am not sure that it always works. Stopped using it once I saw I got immobilized for 4 seconds while having it equipped together with hoelbrak runes and lemongrass food (should give like 93% duration reduction). Shouldn’t be able to happen as I didn’t get focussed. Not sure if there is a max to -condi duration. As I’m probably always running with hoelbrak runes and lemon grass I feel Mecha leggs is a bit overkill.

As I’m not running with pack runes I won’t have the perma fury (atleast probably not), which makes the firearms traitline a bit better. As for the Tools traitline you are right, 1st minor doesn’t work with Adrenal implant sadly enough, it still does with Iron Blooded, so not totally wasted. Would be nice to see that vigor works together with adrenal implant. Also you won’t have a 100% upkeep to the 3rd minor trait, but adrenal implant allows you to have the extra uptime. Also you are pretty tanky cause of Adaptive armor so you can take a few hits without the need to evade.

Steamlined kits isn’t the best option in a organized group for sure. Takedown round is just a bit extra DPS, not very spectacular anyway. Firearms is the offensive version, tools is the more defensive version..

Personally I think that the build with just the alchemy line, and adaptive armor is already tanky enough to survive assuming you have the hammer with a block and reflect, and toolkit. I am personally more offensive orientated, thats why I like the 310 extra power from Mass Momentum (again that is more then 10 stacks of might that don’t count as might stacks, it’s like the max stacks of might is 35 and you’re running around with 10 stacks perma). The might stacks Mass Momentum gives are negligible to the main buff the trait gives, also because you have a relative low stability uptime.

As for the bombkit AA vs hammer AA, bomb kit will probably win. Hammer AA is very very slow. Bombkit may have a delay in it but the cast time is fast compared to hammer AA. Also don’t forget that might also buffs your condi damage so the burning now the stacks stack in intensity rather in duration can hit pretty hard. That bombkit is a utility where you could have doubts that it works is true. I played with it alot (with just regular engi frontline) and I personally think it works pretty well, although it was traited with halve fuse time.

Bulwark gyro isn’t maybe the best choice but there are better skills then elixir U thb (especially if not traited with HGH). Also the Dome reflect moves with you, which can situational be better then elixir U’s wall, don’t forget that point.

Main difference between us is that I think more offensive then you do, and actually neither of us is wrong, aslong as you can manage to stay alive, which I don’t think is a problem with the traits I gave. Hope this makes it a bit more clear of how I think about the traits and stuff.

in Engineer

Posted by: rpfohr.7048

rpfohr.7048

Sorry to resurrect this thread but it was pretty inspirational for me in creating my build. I took a lot of advice from this thread to create this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoC1XhdeBGpC0ehlKjScZCgyj+tr79O86KmuC-TFSBQB5RHQWUGowHAQlU/BAXAgzoEkH7PwFlekBgZMA-w

Let me explain some choices.

Utility wise slick shoes is amazing. Basically go in and pop slick shoes and then elixer S. run in and watch the CC obliterate them. Slick shoes also has a stun break in utility bar. The third utility is option but I found I love defense feild because it is a mobile reflector which is very very valuable as you can utilize it and move the zerg. Using it I have been able to break stalemate of reflector fields on bridges and hallways in zerg fights. Other options of course would be elixer B, Elixer U, Elixer Gun etc……

The heal is gyro because you are always moving on the front lines the instant heal is great on gyro in clutch situations and the F1 is really good. its a mobile water field with protection you can get 3 leap finishers out of it on hammer. I like it more due to mobility than healing turret. Healing turret better for Spvp playing on points.

Also I don’t give 2 cents if the gyros die since they just blast an aoe daze. At worst that strips stability in a fight somewhere. At best its a 1 second daze and somebody freaks out poping a stunbreak.

Traits

When your on the front line adaptive armor isn’t that great. The thing that kills you is quick spike. the 1 second recharge on the skill makes it really not worth it. Its better for havoc groups. Also what will kill you more than condi damage is soft CC if you are out of position. This really doesn’t fix that. Stability from perfectly waited so much more useful.

I personally only took one elixer yet I find myself always full of boons from party. Iron blooded was so much better.

Self regulated defenses a must, you will get spiked and you will need a get out card, especially if you are using the slick shoes elixer S as an engage tool like I am.

Absolutely taking mass momentum since I am looking for some additional might and i didn’t take hgh.

Took just enough precision for bunker down. I think this is better in spvp if I go full soldier soon I’ll take MDF though.

Variants

You can go with a more dodge heavy set and take invigorating speed. to get some vigor. With this variant I like runes of evasion because they give you swiftness which will proc the trait. Synergies will with perfectly weighted.

(edited by rpfohr.7048)

in Engineer

Posted by: RudyTjhia.7250

RudyTjhia.7250

Hi there i am still new on this scrapper build but would any of u guys that expert enough at Scrapper review my frontline Scrapper build that i running atm? Its here

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUBtbhtoCGpCEqilJji+vr79ec9qgzSsZGvAA-TFSDABdpMbT1fGUJIAPAg53fghLAQWKN0THgoA8L-w

I often change blat gyro to silk shoes , but i usually use silk shoes in zerg fight to give more CC but when i see my team need more mobility or like there is a bunch of backline and didn’t get sewiftness properly i will use blast gryo since it got party break stun and area superspeed to others so they can escape bomb ASAP

Tell me if u found my build is sucks and i need to chnge it , and please give me suggestion about what should i change and what should i do/don’t as frontline Scrapper
Thanks for your time guys

in Engineer

Posted by: LilBiM.3581

LilBiM.3581

Well, here is what I have used to great success:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoCVXhFpCubB0ehlJji+vr7+WsZGvAIc7SmwC-TViFAB2r6hRKNsSJI+qhgmOAkUmp++DAcBAS4BAQKAm0aB-w

During Regroups/Might up
Use Toss Elixir B to give your group stability during this time. This is optimal for several reasons such as; your group does not typically have stability at this time and as a result your regroups and might ups can not be interrupted if you are doing your job and provides long duration might to help you hit the stack cap.

Build Sigil Variations
Sigil of Bloodlust > Sigil of Fire
Sigil of Momentum > Sigil of Fire

Build Skills Variations
Slick Shoes > Bulwark Gyro (because your opponent is extremely aggressive)
Blast Gyro > Bulwark Gyro (because you are the aggressors; this will require +skill)
Elixir R > Bulwark Gyro (because opponent uses Venoms/your group are rally b… need banner support often)

Build Traits Variations
Medical Dispersion Field > Bunker Down (if your group REALLY needs the heal support over the extra DPS [Caution! Absolutely USELESS if you personally have full HP])

Mass Momentum > Rapid Regen (you fear not the enemy bomb but if your group is good at keeping might up this is a pointless change except for the extra flat power increase)

Self-Reg Defenses > Inversion Enzyme (I am having a bad night, plz don’t kill me senpai)

What does this build/Class bring to the front-line that is unique?
Lots of mobility through Super-speed access to your front-line and sometimes even your back-line as well. When Bulwark Gyro dies, your group always has the ability to relocate from an enemy’s area of DPS or to counter attack with a daze chain.

High Condition to boon conversion on 5 allies with Elixir Gun 3.

High Boon Durations.

Access to numerous ways to reduce damage to your group. 2 Reflects + Bulwark Gyro + Mortar Kit 4 + lots of Super Speed Access for relocating away from hot spots.

Access to poison on downed/regrouping foes without sacrificing a utility slot.

Flexibility to change a utility slot according to either your group’s performance or the expected needs of your next engagement.

Lots of Lightning Fields and Dazes. Unlike Statics from other classes, you can actually interrupt a stationary enemy’s regroup/might up with Thunderclap. Gyros daze and drop Lightning fields when destroyed.

Mobile Water Field. Reconstruction Field allows your group to blast on the move. You do not have to follow any set directions (making your movements predictable) as with other classes’ moving water fields. Anywhere from 7.5s to 10s of protection for your front-line group (10s if with Rev).

Front-line build that is fully Pirate Ship Complaint via Mortar Kit. Now you can maintain some DPS even when not in melee, as well as soft CCs to prevent the weak from limping away.

(edited by LilBiM.3581)

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hi there i am still new on this scrapper build but would any of u guys that expert enough at Scrapper review my frontline Scrapper build that i running atm? Its here

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUBtbhtoCGpCEqilJji+vr79ec9qgzSsZGvAA-TFSDABdpMbT1fGUJIAPAg53fghLAQWKN0THgoA8L-w

I often change blat gyro to silk shoes , but i usually use silk shoes in zerg fight to give more CC but when i see my team need more mobility or like there is a bunch of backline and didn’t get sewiftness properly i will use blast gryo since it got party break stun and area superspeed to others so they can escape bomb ASAP

Tell me if u found my build is sucks and i need to chnge it , and please give me suggestion about what should i change and what should i do/don’t as frontline Scrapper
Thanks for your time guys

Hi,

I don’t recommend celestial for scrapper. A lot of your damage is going to be direct damage and you have nothing to really take advantage of healing power as you don’t really heal others that much. Rapid Regen scales very poorly with healing power and regen is nice… but also too common in a zerg. Basically it wastes too many stats, plus makes you end up with a very low power— healing power = Medical Dispersion Field or Bust!

I also recommend inventions over tools; yea you’ll get less use of slick shoes, but it is better at keeping you alive in larger fights.

For this build, I’d suggest Iron Blooded. There’s not enough skills to take advantage for HGH.

You might also want to look into medic gyro, because the toolbelt skill is incredibly powerful, but it doesn’t cleanse as well as healing turret can.

Finally, I would suggest Self Regulating Defenses. Since you are frontline, I think Self Regulating Defenses will help you if you get focused down.

Mortar Kit is superior in zergs especially if you’re trying to frontline because of the fields it provides as well as an orbital strike to follow you trying to go in with.

If you want to keep the healing aspect, I’d suggest something like this: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUBtbhdeBGpC0ehlKjievj77O86KmtTcZCgyD-TVSDABPpMILlGA8AAoSJGDXAgGV/Z+9H0THwgKBFFgfB-w

I put healing turret here because there aren’t enough cleanses IMO.

This is what I personally use, works for myself, obviously:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoC1XhVXBubB0ehlJjKc7Smwi+vz79W8ZKgAA-TViFABVpEcJlEAcBAMS5GhqHcoKOnpDQ99HS4BAUO4A4t3CA/93e/t3et3evNgb7VGgitA-w

As a final note; if you can keep alive, I think Slick Shoes and Rocket Boots is a very strong combo but I’ve never done too well with it myself.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Engineer

Posted by: Diru.4531

Diru.4531

I’ve been running a similar build in T1 for a couple of weeks. It works pretty well but there are two things that ruin it, especially in large fights.

Rocket Charge leaps 3 times. When each leap actually goes forwards it’s a great, but there’s a high chance that the second/third leap will go left, right or even backwards. In a big fight anything but forward is usually a death sentence.

Unreliable/awkward stability. I use Toss Elixir B for stab. Having a cast time is a pain, having to target it is a pain and I feel like the caster might not be given priority for the effect (haven’t tested that).

It’s still a really fun build for medium scale fights or mid-line. But the lack of leap/stab control in a large scale fight makes the class pretty unreliable.

If Rocket Charge always went forward or towards the target and Toss Elixir B was improved (IE. 5 stacks or stability to self for 5 seconds, non-targeted, insta-cast and stun break) then the build would be solid.

in Engineer

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

This is a bumped thread from months ago…

^ still holds true

That said I would take Stealth gyro over mortar kit for a frontline (preference), you can take over warrior duty for ressing as needed & also disrupt enemy veil pushes. I’d also go with Elixir B for the stability on the toolbelt skill.

@ RudyTjhia.7250 , with the amount of CCs flying around, Projection Injection is VERY strong. I’d take that over Invigorating Speed and use Adrenal Implant instead of Gadgeteer

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

in Engineer

Posted by: Trepidation Lost.3469

Trepidation Lost.3469

“The healing turret is the best heal in the game. It provides around an 8k heal, AoE regeneration, and a water field with a built in blast finisher. All need be said.”
Well, 100% situational, glints heal, defiant stance can heal for more. If the turret gets insta gibbed before u can combo its wasted.

in Engineer

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

^ still holds true

That said I would take Stealth gyro over mortar kit for a frontline (preference), you can take over warrior duty for ressing as needed & also disrupt enemy veil pushes. I’d also go with Elixir B for the stability on the toolbelt skill.

@ RudyTjhia.7250 , with the amount of CCs flying around, Projection Injection is VERY strong. I’d take that over Invigorating Speed and use Adrenal Implant instead of Gadgeteer

So i would really like to see you ressing 5 downs covered in heavy CC and rangebombs. You know, 5 at once not 5 guys that tried to safe their butts by breaking out of line. Take 5 guys at once out of harm’s way and please make a vid. Warrior is down but trust me the day you guys replace warrior in it’s entirety is when i sit on klovans wall dropping my heavy armor and wait for a slow death by trebuchet.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

So i would really like to see you ressing 5 downs covered in heavy CC and rangebombs. You know, 5 at once not 5 guys that tried to safe their butts by breaking out of line. Take 5 guys at once out of harm’s way and please make a vid. Warrior is down but trust me the day you guys replace warrior in it’s entirety is when i sit on klovans wall dropping my heavy armor and wait for a slow death by trebuchet.

Fully traited Elixer R Toolbelt (Which isn’t unreasonable to bring) will revive 204% over 12s on an 80s cd. Its not instant like Warrior Banner, but it can power through poison fields and a weaker bomb. It has different advantages than Warrior Banner but with its own weaknesses. I’d bring both if given the option.

Fishsticks

(edited by Ghotistyx.6942)

in Engineer

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

^ still holds true

II don’t know if you’re trying to be facetious.

If you need to res one downed player and aren’t getting focused, function gyro gets the job done (i.e. stacking for water or reforming up) and stealth gyro can help with getting people up without instantly imploding when you aren’t in an AoE bomb. I’ve seen people call for banner when only one guy goes down because they’re out of formation.

If you have 5 downs you should be using warrior banner because your group probably ate a ton of AoE. Given enough AoE poison even warrior banner isn’t going to help.

Scrapper offers protection, stealth, stability, regen, ranged ressing by gyro, lightning+water fields, etc. It can take the spot of an extra warrior , guardian, or rev when you aren’t playing in megablob environments.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

in Engineer

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

Its certainly better than engi used to be in WvW but still a long way away to becomming meta.

I dont even switch builds and gear from roaming to zerging anymore. This kinda works for both.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASlUUh2tYJXwzLQ7FLTGl4zUABw46VBRA9fX37NA-TFCEABOpMLl9HiSphb6Ae4CAAwDAwf1f4SJooA8L-w

in Engineer

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

^ still holds true

I don’t think the point was replacing warriors, but “taking on warrior duty” could be situations where banner is on cooldown or otherwise not available, and of course warriors obviously provide stuff like cleanse better than scrappers can. Plus empower allies. So they aim for different things and don’t compete with each other. But that’s sort of the point. A scrapper that tries to be a poor man’s guardian, warrior, or ele will certainly be subpar. That applies to every class. You don’t make a full cleric scrapper because none of your AOE heals scale well with healing power and AOE regen is nothing special since almost every class craps it out. But, we can do a lot of these things without having to gear or build around them.

And no, I don’t think an Elixir R Scrapper is a good substitute for a warrior either. But it can work nicely.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Engineer

Posted by: Snakebyte.2804

Snakebyte.2804

Slick Shoes +Rocket Boots + Sigil of Absorption. It’s too fun and gives us a niche!

Gringo Pls, JQ Engineer