Sell me the Engineer

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: SackForge.6927

SackForge.6927

So, after trying out every class, I have become undecided bewteen the Ranger, and the Engineer for my last character slot.

Yes, I know I can buy more, but for the time being, one of these two classes need to occupy this slot.

So tell me, what can the Engineer do well, and why should I make one?

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

The Engineer is a jack of all trades class due to its Weapon Kit system. Each of the Kits basically gives you an environmental weapon to replace your standard weapon set. (For reference, an Engineer only has x1 standard weapon set instead of the usually x2 sets.) Most players will end up using 1-2 Kit weapons to augment their combat options.

However the main selling point for me has to be the Tool Belt skills. Basically you get a bonus skill slot (F1 thru F4) power that is based off of which skill you’ve got slotted in your Healing and Utility slots. Though these bonus skills are meant to balance out any potential skill slots that you’re spending on Kit weapons, the Tool Belt bonus skills also have special results from using Racial skills. This makes your race choice for the Engineer rather important and it can bring some real flavor to your playing experience.

Similar to a Ranger, you’ll have a mix of attacks and abilities which encourage a continual jousting in and out of melee range. While you can go with a quasi-pet route using the various Turret powers, they really aren’t the strongest choice and they’re a poor cousin to any kind of Ranger pet spec.

All things considered, Engineer doesn’t feel like any other class that I’ve played.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

Eng makes me want to play everyday. Ranger not so much. But I can tell you this, How I play my Eng at 80 is very different the how I play from 1-70. I love how much CC I can do to a single target. I love how my survivalbilty in PVE and WWW. You just need to bring the right tool from the job and you have to understand how and when to use that tool.

Of course you can go bigger hammer method nothing wrong with that except the eng does not have the biggest hammer :/

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

The Engineer is a jack of all trades

I agree with the majority of what you are saying. I do not believe the engineer is any more a jack of all trades then several other classes though.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Shomaruki.7395

Shomaruki.7395

If Batman played this game, he would be an engineer.

I’m the [Captain] of the T.Coast

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Shinigami.5932

Shinigami.5932

You get to drink a potion and turn into Mr. Hyde withg a flamethrower.

Aizen San

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: szar.9054

szar.9054

flamethrower

i kill it with fire. all day everyday

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: SackForge.6927

SackForge.6927

The last three posts have instantly made me create an Engineer.
Well done.

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Fenrir.8095

Fenrir.8095

I have an 80 Ranger and an 80 Engineer and I regret my choice in making a Ranger. The Engineer can do everything the Ranger can do but is is more fun.

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: NeryK.5301

NeryK.5301

The engineer in Guild Wars 2 is a bit like a Frankenstein monster made from bits of Team Fortress 2 classes.
- Burn down and airblast like a pyro (flamethrower)
- Build turrets and whack like an engineer (turrets, tool kit)
- Rocket jump like a soldier (rifle, elixir gun, rocket boots)
- Blow stuff up like a demoman (grenades, bombs)

The list goes on with somewhat less correlated skills (overcharged shot = force-a-nature, tranquilizer dart = syringe gun, thrown elixirs = jarate…)

Also, like in TF2, the grenades are harder to use but most devastating in the right hands.

I like this job. I like it !

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: flowcyto.5671

flowcyto.5671

flamethrower

i kill it with fire. all day everyday

Its too bad the flamethrower at higher levels becomes more like the mild discomfort-thrower.

Oh, as to why to play the engineer- well.. if the grenades, bombs, turrets, flamethrowers, darts, ‘boomstick’, and quaffing crazy alchemical concoctions doesn’t seem like enough, then you can always finish off an enemy with a battering ram from your crotch.

(edited by flowcyto.5671)

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: NeryK.5301

NeryK.5301

Its too bad the flamethrower at higher levels becomes more like the mild discomfort-thrower.

This cracked me up, though not entirely true.

I like this job. I like it !

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

Trenchcoats…no that won’t work.
Throwing glass bottles full of strange liquid at people.
Engineer toys to place down/throw at people while in town.
Cheating at jumping puzzles.
Guns.

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: ricky.4870

ricky.4870

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Varqov.6984

Varqov.6984

What about using a shield as an off-hand weapon? I don’t really see many engineers using them. Are they a viable option?

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Mysticforce.5096

Mysticforce.5096

Mad scientist pyromaniac with unlimited access to explosives.

Tarnished Coast
Orisletum [TFH] – 80 Necromancer
Oriscalamitas [TFH] – 80 Engineer

Sell me the Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

What about using a shield as an off-hand weapon? I don’t really see many engineers using them. Are they a viable option?

I love the shield. We can reflect ranged attacks and do an AoE knock back in one ability. In the other, we can block multiple attacks and stun once if melee attacked or stun in an AoE with the shield throw. It is great with a condition build in my opinion.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.